Air Conditioning System Thinks It'S A Heater!

Drew Aitch

Hi Forum,

Just wondering if anyone here has a contact number for someone who services air conditioning units? The one in my lounge area has suddenly started to blow warm air into the room, so much so that it's actually cooler when I turn the bloody thing off.

If it wasn't for the other unit in the bedroom, I'd be sweating my <deleted> of to the point of sever dehydration. I don't want to reside in the bedroom during the daytime hours though, but the lounge has become just a bit too hot for comfort these past few days, especially of an afternoon and evening.

Thanks in advance

Aitch

It sounds like your AC is out of cooling fluid of fluid or the temperature gauge is non operative. Can't find my engineers's number at the moment.

But I believe from previous posts regarding servicing, that Siam City Electrical on the Moat have engineers that may be able to resolve it.

Good luck

It sounds like your AC is out of cooling fluid of fluid or the temperature gauge is non operative. Can't find my engineers's number at the moment.

But I believe from previous posts regarding servicing, that Siam City Electrical on the Moat have engineers that may be able to resolve it.

Good luck

Thanks Raindancer, I'll pop over and take a look tomorrow sometime ;)

Aitch

I have used VJ Technologies for the last 5 years and have been completely satisfied. They have serviced, cleaned (power wash) inside and outside units, and replaced compressor; reasonable prices/costs.

V J Technology

053-234792

053-232565-6

An air conditioner blows cold air into the room and hot air out the back.

Many air-conditioners have an inversion switch that reverses this air flow so that in winter it can be used as a heater.

Check to see if you have this switch and it hasn't been switched on by mistake.

Thanks Everybody ;)

It's been a bit of an education as well as getting a couple of contacts to boot, so thanks for that. No disrespects Mcnaughty, but your response took a bit of deciphering, but I think what you were trying to say was that you'd had your air-con serviced at some point and it made a big difference?

KarenBravo: thanks for that, I never knew that some units having a switching option from cold to hot air was possible. Having said that, I never touch my units physically and only ever operate them by remote control, so even if they do have an inversion switch somewhere, it'll not be the issue in my case.

The issue with this particular unit didn't progressively get worse over time. It was giving a nice chilly blast last Thursday night as usual, and when switching on again come Friday, there was no more cold air generated.

I just hope that whoever I get to fix it doesn't use my ignorance on air conditioning units to charge me for stuff that doesn't need doing :( Maybe it's best just to request a service and not mention the air temperature problem as see what happens from there.

I'll update the post once done with resolution and costs. I think it pays to have air conditioning serviced annually, but it only got about 2.5 full months of use last year so I skipped maintenance thinking it had not had enough use to warrant a service. Probably a mistake on my part.

Cheers one and all

Aitch

Thanks Everybody ;)

It's been a bit of an education as well as getting a couple of contacts to boot, so thanks for that. No disrespects Mcnaughty, but your response took a bit of deciphering, but I think what you were trying to say was that you'd had your air-con serviced at some point and it made a big difference?

KarenBravo: thanks for that, I never knew that some units having a switching option from cold to hot air was possible. Having said that, I never touch my units physically and only ever operate them by remote control, so even if they do have an inversion switch somewhere, it'll not be the issue in my case.

The issue with this particular unit didn't progressively get worse over time. It was giving a nice chilly blast last Thursday night as usual, and when switching on again come Friday, there was no more cold air generated.

I just hope that whoever I get to fix it doesn't use my ignorance on air conditioning units to charge me for stuff that doesn't need doing :( Maybe it's best just to request a service and not mention the air temperature problem as see what happens from there.

I'll update the post once done with resolution and costs. I think it pays to have air conditioning serviced annually, but it only got about 2.5 full months of use last year so I skipped maintenance thinking it had not had enough use to warrant a service. Probably a mistake on my part.

Cheers one and all

Aitch

We get ours done once a year. But we do in the meantime take the screens out and rinse them in the bathtub.B)

Thanks Everybody ;)

Cheers one and all

Aitch

I usually pay around 400 baht to clean and service my A/Cs. But through a lack of knowledge, they stung me 400 baht extra for the cooling fluid. Not sure if that is the normal charge. But he never mentioned it when I asked for a service charge quote. Maybe a wee bit cynical of me ...but that seems to be the way here.

Having said that, it is still comparatively inexpensive to have a cooling system that works. :-)

Thanks Everybody ;)

Cheers one and all

Aitch

I usually pay around 400 baht to clean and service my A/Cs. But through a lack of knowledge, they stung me 400 baht extra for the cooling fluid. Not sure if that is the normal charge. But he never mentioned it when I asked for a service charge quote. Maybe a wee bit cynical of me ...but that seems to be the way here.

Having said that, it is still comparatively inexpensive to have a cooling system that works. :-)

Ya when you look at it as compared back home it is almost like free. Back home it cost you more than that (800 baht) to get them to come out and look at it.

Good Day

As Raindancer first said, it could be the gas. Have a look outside when the unit is running and should be cooling. The outside unit should have its compressor and condenser cooling fan running. The air through that fan should be very noticably hotter than the surrounding air. That gas when it is compressed into a liquid gets really hot. If there is no or low gas then there isn't much to cool. Also there will be a pipe that should be heavily insulated going through the wall to the inside unit. Move the insulation aside and you should find that that pipe is freezing. That obviously is the cooling gas going to the evaporator in the inside unit. You could very well have sprung a leak. Some aircons can redirect the heat produced outside to provide heating inside but I have not seen one here (not that I have looked to hard for a heater!).

Edited by Dellboy218

Thanks Everybody ;)

I

Cheers one and all

Aitch

My remote has a heat/cool switch which I have pressed by mistake resulting in a warm flow of air from the a/c.

Check the remote first to see if it has not been set incorrectly. This happens to me a couple times a year.

An air conditioner blows cold air into the room and hot air out the back.

Many air-conditioners have an inversion switch that reverses this air flow so that in winter it can be used as a heater.

Check to see if you have this switch and it hasn't been switched on by mistake.

Interesting. Where would this "switch" be located at? It could come in handy in cold January mornings. :D