Display Settings

rgs2001uk

Recently upgraded mainboard, chip and ram.

Using XP SP2, Samsung monitor, Pentium dual core CPU.

Prior to upgrade no problems.

Since upgrade, every time I turn on the computer I have to manually adjust the screen resolution, it defaults to 640 x 480, either on shutdown or on start up.

I have checked the drivers, no problem with them.

Apart from the normal windows, properties/settings, I now have a choice of, Intel graphics media accelerator driver which allows me to change the display settings.

This has me stumped, over to the gurus for guidance and resoultion (no pun intended).

Thanks guys.

sulasno,

did exactly as you instucted above^^^^.

Removed the vga driver, on reboot,

new hardware detected, ignored and carried on as normal.

Same problem as before, everything large, went to properties/settings and resized, wouldnt let me.

Rebooted, new hardware detected, search for drivers, wizard couldnt find drivers.

Inserted mainboard disc and re-installed vga driver.

Changed graphic properties/display to correct size and carried on as normal.

Rebooted computer about 15 minutes ago and same as before, have to manually adjust settings each time after start up.

Obviously conflict between windows drivers and mainboard drivers.

The mainboard is an Asus if it makes any difference.

There was a prvious thread about the exact same problem that was never resoved.

Dont really want to go the regedit route and start deleting files.

Thanks for your time.

sulasno,

went to device manager/monitors, there were two plug and play.

I clicked on the top one and updated drivers, it now tells me I have a syncmaster 2233sw installed.

Rebooted and exact same problem as before, manually adjust settings and carry on as normal.

What next please?

Since upgrade, every time I turn on the computer I have to manually adjust the screen resolution, it defaults to 640 x 480, either on shutdown or on start up.

Are you sure? Which graphics card or onboard IGP are you using? Be specific. If possible, include the device id (see below) for your Integrated Graphics Processor (IGP).

1. Go to Start menu > Run...

2. In the Run box, type devmgmt.msc then press Enter.

3. Expand Display adapters, then right click the device to access Properties.

849894766.png

4. Click the Details tab and select Device Instance Id from the drop down.

770102821.png

5. Include the data highlighted in yellow with your next post.

You did mention having recently upgraded to new hardware, but did not include this information in your initial post. It'd make things easier if we knew the model of your motherboard. Also, make sure you install the chipset drivers for your motherboard AND graphics card.

Are you sure? Which graphics card or onboard IGP are you using? Be specific. If possible, include the device id (see below) for your Integrated Graphics Processor (IGP).

1. Go to Start menu > Run...

2. In the Run box, type devmgmt.msc then press Enter.

3. Expand Display adapters, then right click the device to access Properties.

849894766.png

4. Click the Details tab and select Device Instance Id from the drop down.

770102821.png

5. Include the data highlighted in yellow with your next post.

You did mention having recently upgraded to new hardware, but did not include this information in your initial post. It'd make things easier if we knew the model of your motherboard. Also, make sure you install the chipset drivers for your motherboard AND graphics card.

Ok Supernova, as requested.

Motherboard, Asus P5G41T-M LX Motherboard

Graphic Card, Dispaly Adapter Intel® G41 Express Chipset

Details as you requested highlighted in yellow, PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2E32&SUBSYS_836D1043&REV_03\3&11583659&0&10

In device Manager, when I click on monitors I have two listed,

First, Plug and Play, Details Device Instance ld, DISPLAY\SAM049A\4&11D4BECF&1&80861500&00&02

Second,SyncMaster 2233SW/2233SWPlus,SyncMaster Magic CX2233SW(Analog) Details Device Instance ld DISPLAY\SAM049A\4&11D4BECF&1&80861100&00&02

A fruitless search on the internet last night, appears to be a common bug, but no definitive details on how to resovle.

I fear a trek back to the store and let Somchai work his wizardry, I have more faith in you guys.

Thanks again for your efforts and patience with a Luddite.

Download and install the drivers below.

Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility V9.1.1.1020 for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit Windows 7.(WHQL)

Download

AND

Intel® Graphics Accelerator Driver V6.14.10.5215 for Windows XP 32bit(WHQL).

Note: Be sure to uninstall any Intel graphics drivers via Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel and reboot beforehand.

Download

Download and install the drivers below.

Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility V9.1.1.1020 for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit Windows 7.(WHQL)

Download

AND

Intel® Graphics Accelerator Driver V6.14.10.5215 for Windows XP 32bit(WHQL).

Note: Be sure to uninstall any Intel graphics drivers via Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel and reboot beforehand.

Download

Supernova,

did exactly as you advised above.

Then rebooted, exact same problem as before, had to manually adjust settings using graphic properties/display settings which were set at 640 x 480.