Help Please With Cellphone/pda/internet Advice

Mikl777

Pleeease Enlighten me!

I am arriving Bangkok on 11.04.05 I will be spending 6 weeks mainly in Thailand but I also hope to visit Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam.

I need internet access 24/7 while I am there. For most of my web use the internet shops will be fine but I need access to my employers site 24/7. I hope to have internet access (wifi or otherwise) in my hotels but I am fairly certain that this won’t be possible everywhere. I have been researching internet access options for the last two days and came upon this forum. You guys seem to be the most knowledgeable source.

So far I think my best option is to buy a pda (palm or ipac) with browser capabilities but I would appreciate your input. I need pocket portability. I have read that browsing on a cellphone is not satisfactory mostly because of the small screen although there is a software produce called Skweezer that alters pages from cellphone use. Anyone have experience with Skweezer?

Currently I have a Nokia 6510 with wap and a Happy sim card from a previous trip to LOS. I also have a SonyErisson T637 (GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/1800/1900)

Tri Mode with bluetooth and infrared that I use here in the states. I believe it is locked because when I put the Happy sim in it , I got a message to put the correct sim card in (AT&T). From reading this forum I’m thinking that I can use the T637 with a bluetooth pda to access the internet with acceptable reliability. I would rather not buy a smartphone because of the expense and the fact that I wouldn’t need it once I get back to the states.

Does anyone have an opinion about this strategy? Can the T637 be unlocked in Bangkok? Is the sim needed a special one for internet access or will I be able to use my Happy sim? Is there a recommended place to get this all accomplished?

How about a pda recommendation. I think I need one not only with bluetooth but also wifi. I probably prefer a Palm because I understand it will be more compatible with my Mac. I understand that there may be thai translation software for the palm platform.

Also:

Will I need a different sim card for each country?

Is DTAC the best carrier for coverage for internet?

Sorry for the long post. I did try to make it concise>

Take your phone to MBK and have it unlocked..

Get a suitable bluetooth equipped PDA and get your phone set up with GPRS and the two devices talking to each other in bluetooth.. Then you should be able to use the PDA to access the internet via Bluetooth..

DTAC or AIS have about equal coverage (I give the nod to AIS) no idea on 'happy' or how happy's service works with GPRS..

I dont think roaming with a pre pay card will give you GPRS coverage in Laos or Cambodia but am unsure..

It has to be said that PDA web browsing isnt that convienient either.. Email replies get tough to type and it depends on your exact needs as to how to approach the problem.. I travel with a cheap libretto sub not PC and a BT adapter and BT phone.. 'real' PC (win98 Lite on the Libby as its old but its something I have had knocking around) so full email client, web browser, screen and keyboard and also doubles as a MP3 music box for weekends away..

You can do tricks like setting your email to alert you via SMS when a new or urgent message comes in (rules based depends on your email provider, I run my own servers) so you know to check you email as soon as is convienient.

So for I have been totally underwhealmed in how capable mobile internet is on anything less than a small computer.. Yes I can get a small email on a PDA but in general I like a subnote and the size is manageable for the convieniance.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you LivinLOS

Your reply was very helpful. A couple of followup questions:

1) Will I be able to establish the GPRS service with prepaid sims (either DTAC, AIS, or ??) I would like to keep my Happy Dprompt sim card (DTAC prepaid)

2) I am bringing a SonyEricsson T637 and a T616 phone. Will the shops in MBK be able to provide the expertise to get the phones connected to the new Dell x50v that I purchased? Or do the GPRS services provide tech support in english?

Get a suitable bluetooth equipped PDA and get your phone set up with GPRS and the two devices talking to each other in bluetooth.. Then you should be able to use the PDA to access the internet via Bluetooth..

DTAC or AIS have about equal coverage (I give the nod to AIS) no idea on 'happy' or how happy's service works with GPRS..

Thank you LivinLOS

I dont think roaming with a pre pay card will give you GPRS coverage in Laos or Cambodia but am unsure..

It has to be said that PDA web browsing isnt that convienient either.. Email replies get tough to type and it depends on your exact needs as to how to approach the problem.. I travel with a cheap libretto sub not PC and a BT adapter and BT phone.. 'real' PC (win98 Lite on the Libby as its old but its something I have had knocking around) so full email client, web browser, screen and keyboard and also doubles as a MP3 music box for weekends away..

You can do tricks like setting your email to alert you via SMS when a new or urgent message comes in (rules based depends on your email provider, I run my own servers) so you know to check you email as soon as is convienient.

So for I have been totally underwhealmed in how capable mobile internet is on anything less than a small computer.. Yes I can get a small email on a PDA but in general I like a subnote and the size is manageable for the convieniance.

Can a cell phone provider tell if you have had your phone unlocked when you return ?

I have a dell axim X50v which I use in combination with a nokia 6630 and a pre paid AIS sim - you might want to think about a BT stowaway keyboard if you need to do a bit of typing - also visit aximsite.com forums and read the tutorial about ozvga and sevga.

the other thing to think about with WM2003SE is that pocket explorer is not the most capable browser around - you might want to purchase netfront if the site you have to visit/maintain needs java/javascript - the latest version of minimo does not work yet on the x50. also check which ROM version you have on you axim - if its not A05 you might want to d/load A05 and flash it on before you install all your apps.

aximsite.com forums are a great resource to learn to use your axim.

Thank you LivinLOS

Your reply was very helpful. A couple of followup questions:

1) Will I be able to establish the GPRS service with prepaid sims (either DTAC, AIS, or ??) I would like to keep my Happy Dprompt sim card (DTAC prepaid)

2) I am bringing a SonyEricsson T637 and a T616 phone. Will the shops in MBK be able to provide the expertise to get the phones connected to the new Dell x50v that I purchased? Or do the GPRS services provide tech support in english?

Thank you LivinLOS

1) Yes AIS and DTAC offer GPRS on pre paid cards.. It needs to be turned on and the phone configured but its all possible and not actually that hard.

2) Yes these providers will help you get it set up and working.. It helps to take everything along to the AIS (or DTAC) shop and get them to set it up once and pay attention to all the settings..