How To Become A Tour Guide In Thailand

SunDaRi

Hi Endure, thanks for your posting - it's very constructive and gives me an idea on how to proceed forward. I shall try to contact some Taiwanese companies.

I'm a Malaysian (I should say Singaporean) and I'm communicate well in English, Mandarin and Thai language.

Hi Endure, thanks for your posting - it's very constructive and gives me an idea on how to proceed forward. I shall try to contact some Taiwanese companies.

I'm a Malaysian (I should say Singaporean) and I'm communicate well in English, Mandarin and Thai language.

My pleasure. Hope you get yourself fixed up with a good job that you enjoy.

• 1 month later...

An update:

I learnt a-lot more about the job etc. yes it is illegal and the foreigner cannot work as a tour guide but one can be a "group leader".

Actually if one reasons - the group leader and the tour guide job is indeed different when it comes to managing a group (The leader 'manage' and the tour guide guides) but the leader often has to take over the introduction of the attractions because they speak better (language) and overshadows the thai guide in the majority of the case.

If anyone knows of a tour guide/ "group leader" (who manage big groups of tourist *from asian country, taiwan/ china/ singapore/ malaysia), can you please introduce him/ her to me - I would like to explore the possibility of following one of their tours and see how the workflow is. (PM me if possible)

Personally I don't see the difference between a 'leader' and the 'tour guide' but it does put one out of legal issues. the job specifications are blurred. :-/

Kind Thoughts,

Sun

An update:

I learnt a-lot more about the job etc. yes it is illegal and the foreigner cannot work as a tour guide but one can be a "group leader".

Actually if one reasons - the group leader and the tour guide job is indeed different when it comes to managing a group (The leader 'manage' and the tour guide guides) but the leader often has to take over the introduction of the attractions because they speak better (language) and overshadows the thai guide in the majority of the case.

If anyone knows of a tour guide/ "group leader" (who manage big groups of tourist *from asian country, taiwan/ china/ singapore/ malaysia), can you please introduce him/ her to me - I would like to explore the possibility of following one of their tours and see how the workflow is. (PM me if possible)

Personally I don't see the difference between a 'leader' and the 'tour guide' but it does put one out of legal issues. the job specifications are blurred. :-/

Kind Thoughts,

Sun

It is still not legal, if the cops are not paid off you will still have problems. I talked about this with my wife (who is a tourguide) and has worked with 'leaders' She told me how the police is paid off and how 'leaders' don't go to certain places with the group because the police is always waiting there.

She has had this experience with Indians and Koreans. Her friends tell similar stories. So it can be done as long as your company pays off the police.

I would guess that it IS possible (not legal, but possible) for OP to walk into some travel agency, ask for work, and get employed without any sign of past experience.

Not really - not at any reputable company anyway. As it is their reputation on the line with the clients being led, they will want an experienced, professional tour guide leading them round. So they will always look for proof of past experience and/or proper qualifications - I doubt the OP would just be able to turn up at a tour company's office and expect to be given work on the spot without any of this supporting evidence.

Not really - not at any reputable company anyway. As it is their reputation on the line with the clients being led, they will want an experienced, professional tour guide leading them round. So they will always look for proof of past experience and/or proper qualifications - I doubt the OP would just be able to turn up at a tour company's office and expect to be given work on the spot without any of this supporting evidence.

As with EMzyme said above, there are many teachers teaching in Thailand without license or work permit (I personally know a few). It is true that it's not legal and will only be a 'part-time' rather than a full time position thus everything is under the table. As with the teaching job - there is always a demand and so no lack of positions.

I did walk into a company, asked for a job and was about to be given one - their request is for me to follow 2-3 group tours to understand the work-flow and system. They did test me on my understanding on local attractions, cultures and thai language ability - I passed. I wanted to follow one of their tours but unfortunately the working guides are not really interested bring a rookie around so I'm here asking if anyone know of someone who may help me.