Thai Election Promises Evaporate In Cold Light Of Reality: Watchdog

webfact

The red shirts would be stupid enough to vote in the Sopranos on the promise of a free drink at the BADA BING.

Now they'll feel the sharp end of 'democracy'; maybe they'll finally work out who Thaksin made his billions from. However, at this point it's got to be a case of "SOM NAM NAA!!!" They've dug their own graves. I've run out of sympathy (evidently!).

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kow tow societal customs makes all below scrabble to be above. And this, more than an amorphous uber elite, is the true cause of keeping the poor poor. But you can not fight against a concept within the society, like Kow Tow, and expect to get a win in your lifetime, hence going after allegedly bad the top as a symbol...

Outstanding stuff. Nailed it.

But to nitpick: while it's clear what you mean when you refer "Kow tow societal customs, rather than "Kowtow", I would have used Sakdina ( ศักดินา ); it's not only more linguistically and culturally appropriate, it's more comprehensive and accurate in my opinion.

I'm going to nitpick my own nitpick. The more I think about it, Sakdina isn't quite right either...

Kow tow societal customs makes all below scrabble to be above. And this, more than an amorphous uber elite, is the true cause of keeping the poor poor. But you can not fight against a concept within the society, like Kow Tow, and expect to get a win in your lifetime, hence going after allegedly bad the top as a symbol...

But to nitpick: while it's clear what you mean when you refer "Kow tow societal customs, rather than "Kowtow", I would have used Sakdina ( ศักดินา ); it's not only more linguistically and culturally appropriate, it's more comprehensive and accurate in my opinion.

I'm going to nitpick my own nitpick. The more I think about it, Sakdina isn't quite right either...

Love you more than my luggage but sakdina is pretty far off .... (imho) It all boils down, perhaps, to grengjai :)

Love you more than my luggage but sakdina is pretty far off .... (imho) It all boils down, perhaps, to grengjai :)

Oh, I think Sakdina isn't that far off. It's patronage too. Kreng Jai too? maybe. I'm not sure the Thais have a word for it as they don't for many things that are just there and taken for granted, not even thought about much and thus don't need to be labeled (at least i the past). What we are talking about is a powerful social hierarchic system where it's a given that people with wealth and power have that power as the prerogative of their social position. Yes?

But I'm not going to fight this one -- certainly not at my best (as can be seen from the mess I've made in this discussion already) even if I was to try -- nor claim you are wrong.

And I'm very flattered to be more loved than you luggage!

Kowtow societal customs makes all below scrabble to be above. And this, more than any amorphous uber elite, is the true cause of keeping the poor poor. But you can not fight against a concept within the society, like Kowtow, and expect to get a win in your lifetime, hence going after allegedly bad at the top as a symbol...

kowtow

Part of Speech:verb

Definition:grovel

Synonyms:bow, brownnose, cave in, court, cower, cringe, fawn, flatter, fold, genuflect, give in, go along with, kneel, knuckle under, lie down and rollover, pander, prostrate, say uncle, stoop, toe the mark

They forgot Bend The Knee and, of course, wei.

In practice it is giving greater respect by gesture and action to someone of higher stature, and in feudal times to pass percentages of all transactions back up the chain to the Liege Lord or Lord. Of course the right to do a certain level of transactions was given as patronage, by those of stature above, often for a specific percentage or time based fee. This was later mostly replaced by taxation.

In the asian sense it is also the practice of knowing your place and also trying to raise your level up, so as to 'be in a higher place' and thus 'bow to fewer and have more bow to you'.

Power = money = respect = more deference,

and a higher, longer wei with head more deeply bowed.

(I remember seeing a pic of Prem weiing to Thaksin, hands at the navel, head fully upright, at Anupong's mothers funeral. Anupong's chin muscled rigid.)

In Thailand it seems to have gone to extremes. I have said before, there isn't a class war in Thailand, but 67 million class wars happening daily. Some will work, scheme, cheat and use any means to raise their level, and it becomes an obsession. Especially after descending a few levels, rising back to the top can be the end all be all of life.

But it goes on amongst all levels of society, girls will go on the game for a night or two, to buy the better phone than their circle of girlfriends, and gain a higher status for a time... the 'HOW they got it' is not as important than 'THEY HAVE IT'.

So getting 'it' and raising yourself over others is endemic to all strata of Thai society and that is the cause of bilious politicians, red riots, and keeping the poor poor and 'below'. It also has prevented the faster removal of feudal forms of economic control by the middle echelons of society. More concerned with upping their status over others than with those they are already over, the farther over others, the less need or incentive to care if they are still rising. But seen as useful pawns to be used to create higher status.

To tie this to the election.

If the liege lord promises something, those below can expect something, and rejoice and suport the rain maker. If the lord changes the deal, then he is the lords prerogative, and the lord will proved some rain in any case, but we must accept what he gives since he is far superior.

If the Liege Lords political machine changes it's plan after winning the war, the foot soldiers will still hold on for what supplemental payday they WILL receive, even if not what they originally expected.

Edited by animatic

I know what it means. Thanks.

(Note it's a verb. Not a noun or an adjective as you seem to use it. Not a concept. If you want to use a dictionary, then we can get real predantic.)

Edited by SteeleJoe

"He even admitted that the election campaign rhetoric was one thing, and what the new government could do in the real world another."

TRANSLATION: "DON'T BELIEVE A WORD WE SAY"

What they promised doesn't apply to the real world... From their own mouths... Interesting...

Brazen to say the least!

The democrats should hold onto this PT quote... gold dust for their next election campaign.

Wikipedia says Thaksin was born on 26th July 1949, which would make him 61 years old right now, reaching 62 in about 10 days' time.

A bit off topic I'm afraid, but the flight to Dubai may be a bit full again :)

I know what it means. Thanks.

(Note it's a verb. Not a noun or an adjective as you seem to use it. Not a concept. If you want to use a dictionary, then we can get real predantic.)

Not trying to be pedantic, but I've found it's better to define terms around TVF....

I had also left off the 2nd part

kowtow

vb

1. to touch the forehead to the ground as a sign of deference:

a former Chinese custom

2. to be servile or obsequious (towards)

n

3. the act of kowtowing

[C19: from Chinese k'o t'ou, from k'o to strike, knock + t'ou head]

World English Dictionary

It is a verb as an action, and that is a locked in part of the societal customs.

But it is part of the whole and so is an object for discussion, since it is a concept it can be a noun in that usage. If as a concept it is integral to a societies functioning it can be a definer or adjective to the noun 'society'.

At least this is how I was using it and have seen it used by anthropologists before me.

Post Sakdina Thailand has remnants of the sakdina legal codification and it's societal stratification mixed with kowtowing as a status gauge function, and feudal pre-guild style obeisance and patronage.

Edited by animatic

kowtow

Synonyms:bow, brownnose, cave in, court, cower, cringe, fawn, flatter, fold, genuflect, give in, go along with, kneel, knuckle under, lie down and rollover, pander, prostrate, say uncle, stoop, toe the mark

They forgot Bend The Knee and, of course, wei.

In practice it is giving greater respect by gesture and action to someone of higher stature, and in feudal times to pass percentages of all transactions back up the chain to the Liege Lord or Lord. Of course the right to do a certain level of transactions was given as patronage, by those of stature above, often for a specific percentage or time based fee. This was later mostly replaced by taxation.

In the asian sense it is also the practice of knowing your place and also trying to raise your level up, so as to 'be in a higher place' and thus 'bow to fewer and have more bow to you'.

Power = money = respect = more deference,

and a higher, longer wei with head more deeply bowed.

(I remember seeing a pic of Prem weiing to Thaksin, hands at the navel, head fully upright, at Anupong's mothers funeral. Anupong's chin muscled rigid.)

In Thailand it seems to have gone to extremes. I have said before, there isn't a class war in Thailand, but 67 million class wars happening daily. Some will work, scheme, cheat and use any means to raise their level, and it becomes an obsession. Especially after descending a few levels, rising back to the top can be the end all be all of life.

But it goes on amongst all levels of society, girls will go on the game for a night or two, to buy the better phone than their circle of girlfriends, and gain a higher status for a time... the 'HOW they got it' is not as important than 'THEY HAVE IT'.

So getting 'it' and raising yourself over others is endemic to all strata of Thai society and that is the cause of bilious politicians, red riots, and keeping the poor poor and 'below'. It also has prevented the faster removal of feudal forms of economic control by the middle echelons of society. More concerned with upping their status over others than with those they are already over, the farther over others, the less need or incentive to care if they are still rising. But seen as useful pawns to be used to create higher status.

To tie this to the election.

If the liege lord promises something, those below can expect something, and rejoice and suport the rain maker. If the lord changes the deal, then he is the lords prerogative, and the lord will proved some rain in any case, but we must accept what he gives since he is far superior.

If the Liege Lords political machine changes it's plan after winning the war, the foot soldiers will still hold on for what supplemental payday they WILL receive, even if not what they originally expected.

Wow, you added quite a bit, well after I posted. Which makes my reply look different. What you had previously was only:

kowtow

They forgot Bend The Knee

I'll have to read the new version later.

...Wow, you added quite a bit, well after I posted. Which makes my reply look different. What you had previously was only:

kowtow

They forgot Bend The Knee

I'll have to read the new version later.

No problem. I sometimes have to see if formated often to see who the statements flow on the page, 20 minutes to not make dyslexic mistakes left for eternity.

I hate these little windows and preview post just doesn't seem to be the same thing in practice. And sometimes it's better to just 'nail your paper to the bulletin board' in the time and place you want, for clarity of train of thought.

she also denied saying they would reduce the value of the baht, sounds to me like there was only one objective - win the election at any cost and get Mr T home as this was the only issue I've heard being actively pursued since the election.

Well the ThaiVisa malcontents are out in force once again. It seems like they just love to quibble. I think the term "promises broken" is being used a little too freely today. How can anyone not believe that the PTP did not genuinely desire to raise the minimum wage to 300 Baht per day? Likewise with the gas tax/levy, it would have put some extra money in everyone's pocket. Just because reality raised its ugly head, doesn't mean that the PTP's heart was not on the right place. Somehow it feels like nit-picking to suggest that the PTP knew it would/could not fulfill these ideas(promises?) Are the malcontents implying falsehoods may have been perpetrated on the Thai voters? Seems like a case of sour grapes to me.

The Reality of this, is in fact, that any genuine, experienced, less arrogant party, would have actually had experts work out the financial practicality of doing it, along with all the relevant details, making sure it was actually plausible before making any promises. Doesn't matter where their heart is supposed to be. There is no excuse for this at all. At best, it is inept! I go along with "Animatics" hope, that with luck, some middle ground can be found, along with some honest and experienced people - if any such do in fact exist in this party - to implement some reasonable, decent policies that will be of benefit to the people who most need it. The average person in this country. Things could very easily turn into an awful nightmare in the near future otherwise. I admired Taksins business ability, along with his strong leadership, though not all his policies during his time. I now see that he has serious flaws in his personality, that should have kept him as head adviser, or second in charge at most. But more than anything, I pity him and his sycophants these days. The thought of him becoming a leader again, is scary to say the least. There are some very good people amongst the Thai Government. People who are honest and who actually care for this country. Getting them all together with enough clout to put needed policies through, is the problem though. Can't see any way it will happen in the near future, with all the power grabs and corruption going on now. One can only hope they don't start blaming us falangs for all their failings. It could happen.

Lets wait for the foramtiopn of the government and then see what happens.

One thought that a lot of people who hate Thaksin should worry about is that if the PTP cant deliver on the promises, the poor who love Thaksin are more likely to think it is because he isnt at the helm and hence unable to take on the elite than to start thinking oh those lovely dems. The best thing would be if the government formed and then they were able to get enough promises through to keep the poor happy. Failure to do so isnt going to mean everyone turns to the establishment parties of choice

Wikipedia says Thaksin was born on 26th July 1949, which would make him 61 years old right now, reaching 62 in about 10 days' time.

Within the following month, he'll apply for American Social Security benefits, for reaching the early retirement age of 62, for his time arduously working in the USA while at the same toiling away diligently at grad schools.

One thought that a lot of people who hate Thaksin should worry about is that if the PTP cant deliver on the promises, the poor who love Thaksin are more likely to think it is because he isnt at the helm and hence unable to take on the elite than to start thinking oh those lovely dems. The best thing would be if the government formed and then they were able to get enough promises through to keep the poor happy. Failure to do so isnt going to mean everyone turns to the establishment parties of choice

If they can't get things working, it will be because Thaksin isn't here, so he should be brought back to solve all the problems.

If they do get some things working, it will because of Thaksin's input and advice, so he should be brought back to make things even better.

It's irrelevant what happens, it will be twisted in a way that Thaksin should come back.

The truly sad part is that the red shirts / poor people have legitimate issues, when 60 families own 75 % of the country. Instead of having real red shirt leaders to address these concerns and bring about equality, Thaksin comes in with his own agenda, which is to get back in power by hiding behind the red shirt movement. The red shirts were simply used as cannon fodder to get him back in office, which they are probably realizing about now. I also suspect their 500 baht is long gone as well..... I actually feel sad for Thailand, and its people. For the farangs, we can just pack out bags , jump on a jet and leave. Whatever happens in the future, the Thai people will be stuck with it.......

Not all of us are able to or want to just pack their bags and jump on a jet. I and many others like me, have long since burnt our former bridges and made Thailand our home. For good or for worse, we are here to stay and will be affected - though maybe not as much - by what is happening now, as the Thai people will be. I have been asked for my opinion and thoughts by many here in our Moo Barn. Probably just because I am a foreigner, but also because I warned them that this would happen many weeks ago. So many people seem surprised by what has come about. It's like they are just waking up to what now seems an unreal situation, even though they themselves not many days ago, voted and created this very same situation. In general though, I see most in our area anyway, like in the big markets, just getting on with the daily struggle and hoping the government will sort itself out. They all say there is nothing they can do to change things. When I point out that they all just voted and caused this change, many can't seem to relate what they did, to what the situation is now. Many Thais still think that they can never change what happens in government, can not relate voting as a chance to cause change. They believe the "Elite" will always run the country. Looking at the situation today, I can't say they are wrong.

If they can't get things working, it will be because Thaksin isn't here, so he should be brought back to solve all the problems.

If they do get some things working, it will because of Thaksin's input and advice, so he should be brought back to make things even better.

It's irrelevant what happens, it will be twisted in a way that Thaksin should come back.

Probably. In the grand chess game Thaksin has pretty much totally outmanouvered his opponents who havent see what is coming and are playing by a set of old rules that are no longer apllicable and with the weaker pieces. A deal is likely on the cards imho.

There is also little need for twisting anymore as one thing a lot miss is that by their continual assaults on Thaksin the elite have made him appear an outsider, and the poor want outsiders to govern, not insiders, which is why the dems keep losing. The more Thaksin is attacked by his enemies, the more bad things are said against him, the more court cases against him just makes him more the outsider that the poor have wanted. In reality of course Thaksin isnt this but those opposed to him have turned a wily and self serving poltician who saw things before others and learnt how to manipulate into a legitimised hero for the masses and a monster for them.

Probably. In the grand chess game Thaksin has pretty much totally outmanouvered his opponents who havent see what is coming and are playing by a set of old rules that are no longer apllicable and with the weaker pieces. A deal is likely on the cards imho.

There is also little need for twisting anymore as one thing a lot miss is that by their continual assaults on Thaksin the elite have made him appear an outsider, and the poor want outsiders to govern, not insiders, which is why the dems keep losing. The more Thaksin is attacked by his enemies, the more bad things are said against him, the more court cases against him just makes him more the outsider that the poor have wanted. In reality of course Thaksin isnt this but those opposed to him have turned a wily and self serving poltician who saw things before others and learnt how to manipulate into a legitimised hero for the masses and a monster for them.

It will be interesting to see what effect the PTP going back on their promises will have on any by-elections.

It will be interesting to see what effect the PTP going back on their promises will have on any by-elections.

Maybe but judging on by-elections the Dems and BJT would have done better in this election.

I would love to know more of the behind the scenes goings on as I think that is where a lot has been/will be decided.

Maybe but judging on by-elections the Dems and BJT would have done better in this election.

I would love to know more of the behind the scenes goings on as I think that is where a lot has been/will be decided.

Agreed. It seems a lot changed between the last by-elections in December and the election in July. Yingluck was the major change, but also the worsening economy.

But, if some people voted for PTP because of their election promises, and now those election promises don't seem to be forthcoming (at least not as advertised), then there WILL be a back lash.

One thought that a lot of people who hate Thaksin should worry about is that if the PTP cant deliver on the promises, the poor who love Thaksin are more likely to think it is because he isnt at the helm and hence unable to take on the elite than to start thinking oh those lovely dems.

At the end of the day, the poor who love Thaksin will believe what they want to believe, and as whybother says, any outcome can be painted in such a way that makes him look good, and puts all the blame on the big bad elite.

People witnessing what he orchestrated in Bangkok last year and still voting for him shows the level of devotion we are talking about; the man could walk into a home, strangle the grandmother, and still walk out with the home-owner's promise of their vote. Reminds me of a song:

I put a spell on you

'Cause you're mine

You better stop the things you do

I ain't lyin'

No I ain't lyin'

(1949) Screamin' Jay Hawkins, Slotkin

Probably.

Probably? So the bit you were saying about Thaksin haters should hope that PT perform well you now agree as being a moot point, in that whether PT perform well or perform badly, the Thaksin following is likely to remain undeterred?

I think you paint an inaccurate picture of the elite having been the ones going after him, when in actual fact most of the time it has simply been a reaction to the antics he has been up to.

I guarantee you, had Thaksin disappeared off into the sunset to enjoy his riches for ten years or so following the coup, kept quiet, kept his head down, kept out of the papers, he could have quietly returned and that would have been the end of that - the elite would have forgotten about him. Doing battle with him is not what they need, but someone keeps poking you with a stick, you can't go on ignoring it.

Pheu Thai may be sued by workers, students university graduates: Democrat

The Democrat Party Sunday warned the Pheu Thai Party to implement three major pre-poll promises by early next year or else labourers, students and university graduates may seek its dissolution.

Songkhla MP-elect Wirat Kalayasiri, a member of the Democrat team of legal experts, said the Pheu Thai could be in trouble because of its promises to give a daily minimum wage of Bt300 to workers, to provide free tablet computers to 12 million students nationwide and to guarantee that university graduates would get a staring monthly salary of Bt15,000.

Wirat said the Pheu Thai should announce the three promises as parts of its government's policy statement next month.

He said the Pheu Thai-led coalition government should implement the policy within January next year or else it could face an allegation that it had deceived the people

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-17

Pheu Thai may be sued by workers, students university graduates

the Pheu Thai-led coalition government should implement the policy within January next year or else it could face an allegation that it had deceived the people

:cheesy:

I am not sure why this is even news - in my experience most election promises are "aspirational" and usually tempered by "reality" when the person making them comes to power. I don't just mean in Thailand but throughout the world. The current coalition in the UK has broken countless promises made by both their constituent parties on the grounds that they "inherited a mess". However in this scenario I think it is a little unfair of people to be talking of broken promises before the new government are even officially in power. Very few governments can change things overnight and it may take several years to make progress against promises. Of course if they don't even begin the programmes then they face the possibility of losing the next election but they have to be given time to prove themselves - that is how democracy works. The problem is that Thailand like many other countries including the US have confused democracy with capitalism!

I am not sure why this is even news - in my experience most election promises are "aspirational" and usually tempered by "reality" when the person making them comes to power. I don't just mean in Thailand but throughout the world. The current coalition in the UK has broken countless promises made by both their constituent parties on the grounds that they "inherited a mess". However in this scenario I think it is a little unfair of people to be talking of broken promises before the new government are even officially in power. Very few governments can change things overnight and it may take several years to make progress against promises. Of course if they don't even begin the programmes then they face the possibility of losing the next election but they have to be given time to prove themselves - that is how democracy works. The problem is that Thailand like many other countries including the US have confused democracy with capitalism!

Yep. The PTP are not even in government yet, and they are already back tracking on their promises. You'd think they'd at least wait until they were sworn in, wouldn't you?

Edited by whybother