Americans Only

monitorlizard

I have to return to the States for a couple of weeks for business. I am in need of phone service. I will need to call Thailand (using phone card) but I am unsure if a cell phone will allow this. Is my only option a land phone? I am returning to SF, does anyone have any recommendations for local carrier and cheapest service? No plans as service will only be used less than 30 days. Also is Rent a Wreck still in business?

Thanks.

Thank for the info regarding phone card. I buy the cards from any Thai restaurants in $10 or $20 increments. The cost per minute is about 8 cents per minute for calls to Bangkok only. Land phone only. They seem to have a special deal for the Thais there wishing to call home.

Found out that Rent a Wreck is on the web but they did not answer my email so I was curious what is up. I will try again.

I heard that phone companies are now deregulated in the US. I am not sure but I heard that you can use any carrier now for local and long distance. Curious if anyone researched the cheapest.

Anyway, thanks. I will hit the google search bar for more info.

Costs are as low as about 2 cents per minute to Bangkok land line numbers with some cards now. Cell phone or upcountry are quite a bit more because of Thailand's long distance rates. Your local Thai store/restaurant should know the best. Most expensive (per second billing) card to Thailand cell phones that I used last year was 15 cents per minute. Others are much cheaper.