'Fixed-price' Cheap Food To Be Officially Launched

george

'Fixed-Price' cheap food to be officially launched in mid November

BANGKOK:-- After acknowledging a huge success from selling cheap food at a fixed-price of 10 baht per portion in the past few months to help low-income earners from rising inflation, Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra is now prepared to officially launch the program at the Government House in mid-November.

Siripol Yodmuangcharoen, Director General of the Department of Internal Trade, said on Saturday that the prime minister would preside over the official opening of the cheap food program, in which several food vendors from Bangkok and upcountry were invited to participate.

He said food under the program is now sold in Bangkok and outlying areas.

In the beginning of the program, about 100 plates of food were sold daily at PTT petrol stations, but now between 200 to 300 plates are sold, proving that the food is popular, cheap and has high quality.

The Commerce Ministry has set a target of 600 food outlets under this program to be established by the end of 2005, with the program to be increased to 1,000 outlets by June 2006.

Of the 1,000 outlets, 400 will be set up in Bangkok and outlying areas, while the remaining 600 will be established in the provinces.

--TNA 2005-10-22

Exactly - just as short sighted as keeping fuel prices artifically low with government support....

At least the un-supported vendors have a place to go for cheap food when they go out of biz... :o

That is untill the government realizes how much money it costs and then scraps the whole program.

Cheers!

How will they handle normal street vendors not being able to compete with the dumped prices?

should go down a well with those dirty looking dreadlocked scumbags that flock to that godforsaken full moon celebration of soap dodging, body odour, drug taking,green hair, penny pinching riff raff party on KOPh.

Dunno about that, some of them are pretty wealthy backpackers on their year out.

Having said that I did see an Israeli at the Full Moon Party going absolutely ballistic about a short measure in his vodka and red-brew. I think he wanted to kill the barmaid.

That is the good policy of Thai government try to help people. Because of we spend too much money for an energy and make farang oil company rich richer and richest.

just 10 baht for Thai people who got a bit salary. If you are farangs should to pay white taxes included just a bit baht. If you compare with a bottle of alcohol and easy money you attend to use it in bar. This price of food is worst in your eyes.

^You forgot to say "Vote TRT."

How will they handle normal street vendors not being able to compete with the dumped prices?

Let me translate that idiomatic expression for you. "Dumped" means sold at a loss, a tactic usually employed to corner market share and drive the competition out of business, or at least out of that marketplace. The street vendors are "people" too, and they might look at the "help" offered here as something a little less than helpful.

And which farang oil company did you have in mind? PTT? I'm not even going to try to figure out what "white taxes" are, but I can assure you I am paying plenty of tax here. I'll have to get back to you on the color.

Oh yeah, I know I can't vote. Believe me, I know.

jb

Edited by joe beets

Here's a thought !!

Thailand has so many less fortunate people than there are "street vendors" , soooo, the "dumped" price will actually help majority of the people. i agree it does not do justice for the Vendors but It will defnitely help majority of the poor people (ie: all the cheap laborers who can't afford the vendors prices). Most people who can afford to pay 30-40 baht for a plate/ bowl of food will not bother purchasing the 10 baht plate anyway

So before getting upset and sarcastic (unless its in joking manner), please remember the majority of Thai people are "poor"

Not sure what "white taxes" is either but lets not bring race into these conversation. Its just not appropriate. :o

That is the good policy of Thai government try to help people. Because of we spend too much money for an energy and make farang oil company rich richer and richest.

just 10 baht for Thai people who got a bit salary. If you are farangs should to pay white taxes  included just a bit baht. If you compare with a bottle of alcohol and easy money you attend to use it in bar. This price of food is worst in your eyes.

pardon me, what is a "bit baht"?

Ehh.... no where in the world have government intervention into free trade/free market forces been good in helping anybody in the long run - including the "poor".

Sure; create a well fare system where ONLY the proven "poor" (whatever that is) get the cheap (or free?) food based on a well fare card or similar - that might make sense - but to dump food prices across the board just distorts the real problems out there (be it inflation based on a weak monetary policy or whatever).

Cheers!

True. But don't give them ANYTHING that can be traded for cash or booze. Unfortunately any kind of card or coupon system can be converted to cash. The only thing these poor folks can't convert to cash (before it rots) is a plate of food that no one else (who can afford better) would pay for.

:o

Ehh.... no where in the world have government intervention into free trade/free market forces been good in helping anybody in the long run - including the "poor".

Sure; create a well fare system where ONLY the proven "poor" (whatever that is) get the cheap (or free?) food based on a well fare card or similar - that might make sense - but to dump food prices across the board just distorts the real problems out there (be it inflation based on a weak monetary policy or whatever).

Cheers!

agree, its definitely not a long term solution, but, when your income is less than $200.00 /month (if you're lucky) and you have to feed your family. I would say a plate of food at 10 baht is much prefered and appreciated. However, since this is mr. PM's idea, we know that it won't last long, than this will give the poor a chance to have a few extra baht in their wallets and saved a bit. Providing ofcourse they don't splurge on other items such as "mekong whiskey" :o

I don't think this plan is designed for Bangkok, where even the soi dogs get a free meal from the vendors at the end of the night. I doubt it's intended for anywhere where the local economy can sustain foodcourts or bunches of vendors. Try thinking about Isaan during the hot season, where not enough people can afford to buy from vendors, for the vendors to be able to sustain the starving with freebies.