Obama begins Dalai Lama meeting despite China's demand to cancel it

News_Editor

Obama begins Dalai Lama meeting despite China's demand to cancel it

2011-07-16 23:34:53 GMT+7 (ICT)

WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) -- U.S. President Barack Obama on Saturday morning began a controversial meeting with Tibet's exiled spiritual leader the Dalai Lama, a White House official said, despite strong condemnation from China.

A White House official said the meeting at the White House began at 11.33 a.m. Eastern time, but it was not immediately known how long the meeting would last. The meeting is taking place at the Map Room, not the more prominent Oval Office as is usual.

The meeting takes place during the weekend and was quietly announced on late Friday evening in Obama's daily schedule in an attempt to keep it low profile, but it did not slip past China's attention. The meeting is also taking place behind closed doors with no press allowed to attend.

"The Tibet issue concerns China's sovereignty and territorial integrity, and we firmly oppose any foreign leaders meeting with the Dalai Lama in any way," Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei told reporters before the meeting. "China demands that the United States abide by the recognition that Tibet is part of China and oppose Tibet independence."

The White House had said in its schedule update that Obama would use the meeting to underscore his strong support for the preservation of Tibet's unique religious, cultural and linguistic identity and the protection of human rights for Tibetans.

"[We demand the U.S.] to immediately revoke Obama's arrangement to meet the Dalai Lama, to not interfere in China's internal affairs, which undermines China-U.S. relations," Hong said earlier.

Obama last met with the Dalai Lama in February 2010.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-07-16

I liked Obama before. I like him more now. He stands among country leaders who are not afraid of the big hot air balloon known as China. The same Chinese politburo which brainwashes its people in to thinking Tibet has always been Chinese, and which whitewashes (or tries to hide) the truth about China's military take-over of Tibet in the 1950's. The Chinese top knobs are like mafia heads who demand their minions believe only what they tell them to believe. It's working ok thus far, for the children and grandchildren of the insanely destructive Cultural Revolution, but for how much longer will a quarter of the world's population be successfully browbeat in to believing lies about Tibet?

The Chinese government is undoubtedly one of the most heinous, and foul on the planet. I am convinced their ultimate plan is nothing short of world domination. That is one of the basic tenets of communism, so it should come as no surprise. They are using their financial clout, which will undoubtedly become greater over time, to bully everyone into going along with their plan. Zero respect for their own people, or others. I have nothing against the Chinese people, many of whom I like. It is the government, starting with Hu Jintao, Dai Bingguo, and many others, that are greedy, bloodthirsty, powerhungry, and care nothing of human rights, free press, or other basic freedoms. They are dangerous, and we must remain vigilant, and keep an eye on these fools. Anyone who stands up to these creeps, anywhere in the world, at any time, is doing a service for humanity. So, even though the Chinese basically own America at this point, I do give credit to Blundering Barry, for giving them a hard time over the Dalai Lama.

These OLD Chinese government officials are great bullys and ruthless. They can kill thousands of their own people for any reasons.

What right have they got to interfere over the meeting of Obama with anyone ? They have NO rights to stop Obama from meeting another Chinese, so what a Tibetan ?

What have they got to fear for the meeting if they are not guilty concious ?

Hope their meeting will bring to light the case of the latest Panchen Lama who was kidnapped by the Chinese at the age of 5, together with his parents. Its been years now and no one knows if theyv are still alive.

Obama clearly stated he does not support the independence of Tibet from China. Of course he supports that, but needs to say what he doesn't think to appease BULLY China. That's kind of sad. So Obama is brave, a little bit. Not saying it would be politically wise to push China; this just reflects the new reality in the world. The USA isn't even a paper tiger these days; it's not ANY kind of tiger.

Edited by Jingthing

Interesting choice of words "caved in". I don't know the Dali Lama's reasoning, but I would seriously question the reasoning of a President who advocated for independence if the de-facto leader of the country doesn't advocate for it.

Interesting choice of words "caved in". I don't know the Dali Lama's reasoning, but I would seriously question the reasoning of a President who advocated for independence if the de-facto leader of the country doesn't advocate for it.

I concede your point.

Most of the comments here are American propaganda.

The Dalai Lama stood down as Tibet's spiritual leader several weeks ago-he has now semi retired, and handed this position over. Why he is meeting with Obama is beyond me-except maybe to honour a previous commitment.

Scott is right-the DL is asking for more a more autonimous Tibet-not independence. Why? Because China has, and continues to do so much for the Tibetan people, and the Tibetan Buhdist religion-such as preserving temples, the language and various religious artifacts. The Tibetans are thriving and have never had so much, or been happier.

Why not apply for a tourist visa to Tibet and see for yourself.

I have.

Edited by Elfin

So the ones who are unhappy (or should I say the most unhappy) are the ones living in exile?

Probably, and it was/is self imposed exile Credo. They are jealous of the happy Tibetans too. The DL now helps expose the lies that the west propagates against China. Remember, the US/Coalition solution is to invade a country, bomb the crap out of it, then leave it in ruins, while the Chinese solution is dialogue, dialogue and more talking-NOT EVEN SANCTIONS.

I know which is now the better solution.

Edited by Elfin

Happy, happy! :rolleyes:

1. The invasion of Tibet began in 1949. Chinese occupation has resulted in the deaths of at least hundreds of thousands of Tibetans, the destruction of over 6,000 monasteries, nunneries and temples, and the imprisonment and torture of thousands of Tibetans. http://www.freetibet.org/about/10-facts-about-tibet
Edited by Ulysses G.

So if the people in self-imposed exile return, nothing will happen to them?

They will probably be questiond and kept under close supervision, but they won't be executed or imprisoned if that's what you are looking for.

I live here-you don't, so I think I see what is going on a little better than you.

IIR, the Dali Lamma isn't advocating an independent Tibet either.

It's Lama, not Lamma. But The Dalai Lama, as mentioned earlier here, is on his way out. He's an honored player, a respectable man and Nobel Laureate, but even he admits it's time to let some of the younger generation take over. The younger generation of exiled Tibetans are generally in favor of independence. It's likely most Tibetans are also in favor of self-governance also, but obviously they can't come out and state anything remotely like that. If so, they would be thrown in a dungeon along with the tens of thousands of Tibetans (including monks and nuns) who are already rotting away in Chinese prisons.

The Dalai Lama stood down as Tibet's spiritual leader several weeks ago-he has now semi retired, and handed this position over. Why he is meeting with Obama is beyond me-except maybe to honour a previous commitment.

It's like Jimmy Carter visiting someplace in Europe or the Middle East. He's well-received and respected former world leader / elder statesman.

Scott is right-the DL is asking for more a more autonimous Tibet-not independence. Why? Because China has, and continues to do so much for the Tibetan people, and the Tibetan Buhdist religion-such as preserving temples, the language and various religious artifacts. The Tibetans are thriving and have never had so much, or been happier.

Perhaps some Tibetans are thriving and happy, but it's more likely any sort of image like that is perpetrated by the ever powerful propaganda machine called Beijing. The majority of Tibetans are not thriving nor happy and, as mentioned earlier, can't speak anything outside the iron fisted edicts issued from Beijing - under fear of imprisonment or worse. Tibet is similar to Burma in many ways. Suppression rules. Scratch the surface, Elfin, and you'll get a better picture of what's really going on.

They (exiles) will probably be questioned and kept under close supervision, but they won't be executed or imprisoned if that's what you are looking for.

I live here-you don't, so I think I see what is going on a little better than you.

You sound like you either work for the Chinese bureaucracy, or are very well indoctrinated in what they want everyone to think. Tibetans who return from exile will likely be imprisoned if they return to their home country. They certainly will if they dare to speak their minds. The only way they could return and not be imprisoned is if they make a great big demonstration of how wonderful Chinese domination of Tibet is. Not likely.

Elfin, I have lived and worked in China so I do know a little about the country and how it works. I have also been in Tibet quite a number of years ago.

I have no agenda and I am not probing for anything other than information. You seem a little defensive.

I don't have any idea how the Tibetans would be treated upon their return. I would imagine that some who have been quite vocal might have a few problems.

I have.

well there is always someone that stand up for the establishment even if it's China , i think if you spend time in the countary you are refering to not just a holiday in a hotel you would paly a different song, as you are a bit of a dreammer at this stage , sorry it's true in your case!

Edited by Scott
response added to quote

well there is always someone that stand up for the establishment even if it's China , i think if you spend time in the countary you are refering to not just a holiday in a hotel you would paly a different song, as you are a bit of a dreammer at this stage , sorry it's true in your case!

I have lived here for 6 years, have travelled extensively, and I have spoken to a lot of Chinese, and to some Tibetans. I do not live in a hotel. I keep an open mind, and I research things, not just take the government or media's opinion-western or Chinese.

I love this country, so maybe I am a bit defensive.

But I hate the unsubstantiated opinions of the west and disgruntled expat Chinese and Tibetans. Things are different now, and the cold war ended long ago.

They (exiles) will probably be questioned and kept under close supervision, but they won't be executed or imprisoned if that's what you are looking for.

You sound like you either work for the Chinese bureaucracy, or are very well indoctrinated in what they want everyone to think.

If he lives there then he is certainly smart enough to avoid criticizing the Chinese gov't online especially using such keywords as "Tibet".

You sound like you either work for the Chinese bureaucracy, or are very well indoctrinated in what they want everyone to think.

If he lives there then he is certainly smart enough to avoid criticizing the Chinese gov't online especially using such keywords as "Tibet".

You sound like you either work for the US bureaucracy, or are very well indoctrinated in what they want everyone to think.

Obama clearly stated he does not support the independence of Tibet from China. Of course he supports that, but needs to say what he doesn't think to appease BULLY China. That's kind of sad. So Obama is brave, a little bit. Not saying it would be politically wise to push China; this just reflects the new reality in the world. The USA isn't even a paper tiger these days; it's not ANY kind of tiger.

Maybe their meeting is nothing political but personal.

With more and more Westerners keen on Buddhism knowledge the wise Obama is no exception.

Don't expect Obama to walk into a Buddhist temple or meet just any Buddhist monk.

There is no better person for him to meet other than the Dalai Lama if he wishes to learn more about Buddhism.:D

You sound like you either work for the US bureaucracy, or are very well indoctrinated in what they want everyone to think.

Who are you addressing that to? In the US, people can think and say and write what they want to - without fear of prosecution. If you don't believe me, then take a look at any late-night comedian (there are several) who consistently blast every important person and policy. None of them, or people like them, are ever prosecuted or even hounded by the US government. 180 degrees different in China, where anything remotely denigrating to the power base in Beijing is taken very seriously. Similar to Burma, Saudi Arabia, Zimbabwe, N.Korea and Tibet. Any utterance or email which is out of step with the mandated group-think of the central government - can very possibly land that person in jail for a long time.

You are extremely naive to think what I wrote isn't true.