Yangon Visa Run

Happy New Year to One & All

I was planning my next visa run to Penang or Singapore to obtain a 12 month multi-entry Non-immigration O visa (marriage) but as my current 30 day visa expires on Chinese New Year I would have a problem traveling to those places. Therefore I am giving some thought to Yangon. I have read the “Rangoon visa run” on forum published 26 Oct 03, has anybody any further advice to give from recent a recent visa run to Yangon? I am unclear on following points:

• Visa requirements (British citizen) – issued on arrival or do you have to get one in advance from embassy in Bangkok?

• Thai Consul in Yangon – times for application and pick-up? Is it feasible to arrive Yangon AM one day, make application and pick-up next day PM and return to BKK, thereby only spending one night in Yangon?

Any advice or suggestions appreciated.

but as my current 30 day visa expires on Chinese New Year I would have a problem traveling to those places

But why can't you travel a couple of days early? :o

Don't know about Rangoon but believe Penang is usually the best choice for a multi entry visa in this region.

Guest IT Manager

Travel up before the New Year thingy. I was told British PP holders don't need a visa beforehand but I'm not certain enough. I would contact the Burmese Consular Mission in Bangkok for clarification.

Make sure you take all documents they request, and ring the Immigration department, or visit them and ask. I was told this week of a person who has had 4 non im B with no problems over the last several years and he has just got a 6 month double.

Good luck.

Visa requirements (British citizen) – issued on arrival or do you have to get one in advance from embassy in Bangkok?
Not 100 percent sure for British but Americans are required a tourist visa first from the Burmese Embassy in Bangkok .
Thai Consul in Yangon – times for application and pick-up? Is it feasible to arrive Yangon AM one day, make application and pick-up next day PM and return to BKK, thereby only spending one night in Yangon?

I had a THAI lawyer setup a company for me with all the required paperwork. Took all my paperwork to the THAI EMBASSY in Los Angeles and was turned down in about 5 minutes by a rude bitch behind the counter with no explanation. Flew back to Thailand, then Burma and took the same exact paperwork to the Thai Consulate. Two days later, picked up my passport with a one year NON IMMIGRANT "B" VISA and a question was never asked. They were very polite and I had a great time in Burma. This was early 2001 so i'm not sure how it currently is.

However, most others on this forum recommend Penang as the easiest.

I was planning my next visa run to Penang or Singapore to obtain a 12 month multi-entry Non-immigration O visa (marriage) but as my current 30 day visa expires on Chinese New Year I would have a problem traveling to those places.
maybe an extension on your current visa if this a bad time of year to travel.
Happy New Year to One & All

Happy New Year to you.

I just came back from Cambodia today and let me tell you they don't give a rat's ass about new year's eve on the 31st there. Had fun as usual but no fireworks in Phnom Penh or extra partying. The people of Cambodia use the Indian Calendar to calculate the start of the New Year festival. The festival starts on the 12, 13 or 14 April according to the gregorian calendar and lasts for three days. Cambodian New Year’s Eve is the day before whichever date it is and it lasts three days. It is called Chaul Chnam Thmey which means Entering the New Year.

Guest IT Manager

The information I gave about the recent double entry 6 months, was 2 weeks ago. My own experience was almost 3 months ago.