Cannot Access Internet But Skype Works

craig

I've had a number of problems with TOT internet access. The other day (& again this morning) I could not get onto any website. I used Chrome, Opera & Explorer. Explorer checked out the problem & said the sites I wanted were on the internet but I was blocked by some firewall & my machine's firewall was configured properly.

Still Skype worked but not the websites. How can this be? I don't get it...just an old ignorant fart.

My wife called TOT & we went through the standard nonsense with them trying to blame my computer set up...She then checked with the Thai neighbors who said the internet wasn't working...She asked if they called TOT...they said no they never had...they just accepted no service while paying the bill.

Not strange at all. Me and my friends in Thailand had similar problems with TOT as the provider. I suspect because Skype uses P2P rather than a direct connection it was able to connect. However Skype still was unstable and connections were poor.

Today, the problem seems to have gone away.

I had the same problem with ToT yesterday afternoon and this morning also, I use Firefox.

Was a problem accessing secure sites overseas for 2 days, earlier this morning it was OK now the problem has returned-it is a TOT fault!

Follow PoorSuckers guidelines.

When skype works but websites don't it is almost always a problem with DNS.

Websites have to translate domain names (www.example.com) into IP addresses (123.456.789.123) which are used to identify and locate the servers.

If your ISP's DNS servers are down then you will not be able to access any websites, yet skype works since it operates directly on IP addresses.

Try using one from google and one from opendns for added resilience.