UN Court Orders Thai And Cambodian Troop Withdrawal

webfact

World Court Finishes Reading Verdict

The International Court of Justice has ordered both Cambodia and Thailand to withdraw its troops from the disputed area. However, it did go on to say that Thailand must not prevent Cambodian military and civilians from accessing the Phrea Vihear Temple.

If the Cambodians must withdraw their troops, why would they need access to the temple?

The temple belongs to Cambodia so they have a 'right' to access it. It's the land around it that is in dispute.

Sorry my Friend, no one has a right of access just because they own land, but have to travel through someone else's land to reach it. Not even if you buy land in Thailand and the road/path leading to your land goes through someone else's land. Quite often in Thailand, one has to pay the road/path owner to achieve a right of way to your land.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonder what the monks think about all this.

I mean the monks from Thailand and Cambodia. Aren't they supposed to worship the same things, and nationality is not supposed to some into the picture?

Why don't the Buddhist monks from the two countries, and perhaps a few more, join together and make a plea to both governments to turn the entire area into a temple and sanctuary of truth, peace and knowledge; for all peoples to be welcome there.

Make up the place real nice, with lovely landscaping and picturesque gardens and ponds and waterfalls, so that people can go there and find peace and solitude.

Bury all the hatred, prejudice and racism under a higher power of love, unity, and the Buddhist way.

Let the disputed land become a place where people and politicians can mingle and focus on mankind's future and getting along and being a better person.

Let it be an example of how the better nature of mankind can overcome even the most stupid of obstacles.

The rest of the world, including Thailand and Cambodia, can get along with or without this land. It's flat out silly; that's what it is.

If it's supposed to be a religious thing, then let the monks tend to it, the people enjoy it, and keep the politicians out of it.

Religion has no borders!

Just an idea.

I mean the monks from Thailand and Cambodia. Aren't they supposed to worship the same things, and nationality is not supposed to some into the picture?

Why don't the Buddhist monks from the two countries, and perhaps a few more, join together and make a plea to both governments to turn the entire area into a temple and sanctuary of truth, peace and knowledge; for all peoples to be welcome there.

Make up the place real nice, with lovely landscaping and picturesque gardens and ponds and waterfalls, so that people can go there and find peace and solitude.

Bury all the hatred, prejudice and racism under a higher power of love, unity, and the Buddhist way.

Let the disputed land become a place where people and politicians can mingle and focus on mankind's future and getting along and being a better person.

Let it be an example of how the better nature of mankind can overcome even the most stupid of obstacles.

The rest of the world, including Thailand and Cambodia, can get along with or without this land. It's flat out silly; that's what it is.

If it's supposed to be a religious thing, then let the monks tend to it, the people enjoy it, and keep the politicians out of it.

Religion has no borders!

Just an idea.

Unfortunately, religion has little rationality or real view of the actual world we live in, either. In the real world, others, with lots of hidden agenda like money, political power, national prestige... etc, etc have the power and will, to stop this sort of solution. Even if it might be nice.

Religion has no borders!

Just an idea.

It's a nice idea but they would then probably argue over the rights to syndicate the TV show "Temple Make Over"

Religion has no borders!

Just an idea.

It's a nice idea but they would then probably argue over the rights to syndicate the TV show "Temple Make Over"

Or who's going to be in the new show Thailand Idol (for the pun, mea culpa)

Actually, I believe that the ICJ ruling favors Thailand. The provisonal DMZ appears to include a large portion of the disputed area as well a a portion of Cambodian territory, where the temple itself is located. My knowlege of the area is not sufficient to know if any Thai territory is included in the DMZ, but I don't believe any Thai territory is in the DMZ.

It would be very good to see a map with the DMZ overlaid on a map showing the undisputed border, and the 4.6 sq km disputed area. By the way, I can not fathom why the disputed area is always described as "surrounding " the temple -- it merely abuts the temple.

As I read the ICJ judgement, they have told Cambodia and Thailand to get their troops out of the Temple and out of the disputed area, and to start behaving responsibly -- a very fair judgement.

I can hear it now from the Thai: "We don't recognize the court, they have no authority to tell us to do anything, so we don't have to abide by the ruling!"

And I agree with the Thai's right to say this. What is the UN going to do ask their lap dog Obama to enter militarily, no chance with that as the US is broke even if that idiot Obama doesn't understand that concept. What is the UN anyway mostly third rate countries groveling for more of the western world's cash for the pockets of their leaders.

This is a Thai forum please leave you republican drivel at home.

Why is there such negativity and random Thai bashing?

There was an agreement to solicit the views of a disinterested party. A sensible decision was rendered. The acting foreign minister acted responsibly in response to the decision. Neither the PTP nor the Democrats nor the cambodians have said anything to suggest that they will encourage violence. Is it not possible that maybe the court's decision is a step in the direction of a peaceful resolution of the matter? Why is there a need to call for non compliance, or violence or other acts of stupidity? Let the parties work towards a peaceful solution. It is possible if people stop the posturing. War is fun for the bar stool sitters of Pattaya, Patongt and Bankok, but it isn't if your home is located in the fire zone or if its your kid that's sent to run around the minefields to "teach" someone a lesson.

Haven't you noticed thats all some can do here. Most would never say the thing they say here to a live person setting in front of them

Just waiting for the moment when the Cambodians pull up a wall along their border and cordon/close off the temple making it only accessible from the Khmer side which is extremely difficult, albeit not impossible. Take the kids the toy in discussion (those 4.6 km2) away and put it as an UN-buffer zone. Will make the involved armies rich, everyone is happy and dandy. In all practicality, the access is a million times easier from the Thai side. By topographics the entire thing would be Thai (politically speaking), 900 years ago it was a part of the Khmer kingdom (like Pimai, Khao Phanom Rung, Muang Tam in Thailand as well as Wat Phou in Southern Lao PDR). Luckily the politicians were not around 900 years ago already. For me, all these temples belong to the people of the world; compensate the political allocation of the respective country and ensure, that these World Heritage Sites remain world heritages for generations to come; if you leave it up to the army everything will be incinerates to dust by the time those fellows leave. What a sad state of affair on this issue of architectural grandeur proving that centuries ago some people had just common sence; something which must have gone lost on the way to the 21st century.

Thanks for your insightful post.