Pheu Thai: 'We Can Keep All Our Election Promises'

webfact

'We can keep all our election promises'

By The Nation

30160585-01.jpg

The Pheu Thai Party yesterday reaffirmed its economic policies and vowed total compliance with its campaign pledges, including an increase in the minimum wage to Bt300 per day.

"I guarantee every Pheu Thai policy is practical and will be implemented," party-list MP Suchart Thadathamrongvech said.

Suchart said his party had already mapped out contingency plans to cushion the impact of a wage hike, dismissing concerns about the country's competitiveness.

He said upon assuming office, the Pheu Thai-led government would organise a workshop for agencies concerned to brainstorm and clarify its policy implementation steps.

He urged the manufacturing sector to rally behind the wage hike, arguing it was designed to improve workers' livelihoods and reduce economic disparity.

In regard to labour-intensive industries, he said his party would promote a manufacturing corridor along the borders with neighbouring countries. Relocating of certain industries would help reduce the migration of alien workers, he said.

Suchart said the government would earmark about Bt4 billion to buy and distribute tablet computers to first-year primary school students. The cost is computed based on an estimated price of Bt5,000 per tablet.

The spending would not impose additional burden on the budget as the money would be reallocated from public funds, he said.

He said he was confident his party would successfully implement every campaign pledge, ruling out a potential court battle in which the Democrats might seek party disbanding on grounds of misleading voters.

During the long weekend, Pheu Thai's PM candidate Yingluck Shinawatra spent time at home with her family for three consecutive days. She declined to talk to reporters and did not attend any public functions.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-19

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am happy to pay my staff a min of 300 baht per day if I get value for money. If they continue to sleep on the job, arrive late, take 30 day sick leave per year then I might have to hire Burmese. Does this also now mean that there will be just 1 sales clerk loafing around Tescos, rather than 3?

sales Clerk Loafing around in Tesco? Whene I go there its full of Staff un cooperative , standing aboutm not interested helping, Where's the management in this major store? 300Bht a day some dont deserve 30 bht a day

I am happy to pay my staff a min of 300 baht per day if I get value for money. If they continue to sleep on the job, arrive late, take 30 day sick leave per year then I might have to hire Burmese. Does this also now mean that there will be just 1 sales clerk loafing around Tescos, rather than 3?

Are you one of those employers that treats his employees with respect, offers a benefits plan and allows the workers to engage in continuing education? I sympathize if you are one of the employers that helps employees move up and provides a safe work environment that conforms with all the health and safety codes.. On the other hand if you provide the bare minimum but expect great work, then perhaps you need a course in business psychology.

BTW, these Burmese employees you are threatening to hire, they will all be legal right? You'll help with the work permits and provide a wage with no holdbacks right? If not, you will be engaged in an illegal act and deserving of the harshest treatment possible for such an offender. According to the TVF PTP bashers there must be zero tolerance for anyone that breaks the law.

Is it any wonder why there is resentment and frustration expressed by Thailand's underclass?

...vowed total compliance with its campaign pledges, including an increase in the minimum wage to Bt300 per day.

"I guarantee every Pheu Thai policy is practical and will be implemented," party-list MP Suchart Thadathamrongvech said....

Like New England weather, so are PTP public statements; if you don't like it wait a minute, they will manage to contradict themselves yet again.

What their statements have to do with reality... I have no idea.

Smoke and mirrors, bait and switch,

distract your eyes from the man behind the curtain pulling the levers,

and making the smoke, flames and echos shoot out.

Edited by animatic

...vowed total compliance with its campaign pledges, including an increase in the minimum wage to Bt300 per day.

"I guarantee every Pheu Thai policy is practical and will be implemented," party-list MP Suchart Thadathamrongvech said....

Like New England weather, so are PTP public statements; if you don't like it wait a minute, they will manage to contradict themselves yet again.

Plus: "The spending would not impose additional burden on the budget as the money would be reallocated from public funds, he said."

So which part of the 'public funds' spending is goint to suffer? As mentioned, just smoke and mirrors.

Plus: "The spending would not impose additional burden on the budget as the money would be reallocated from public funds, he said."

So which part of the 'public funds' spending is goint to suffer? As mentioned, just smoke and mirrors.

Clearly this rube with title has no clue about actual management.

He's the mouth, and told to say something that returns face to the party,

not insert logical inference into discussion on the issues at hand.

Are you one of those employers that treats his employees with respect, offers a benefits plan and allows the workers to engage in continuing education? I sympathize if you are one of the employers that helps employees move up and provides a safe work environment that conforms with all the health and safety codes.. On the other hand if you provide the bare minimum but expect great work, then perhaps you need a course in business psychology.

BTW, these Burmese employees you are threatening to hire, they will all be legal right? You'll help with the work permits and provide a wage with no holdbacks right? If not, you will be engaged in an illegal act and deserving of the harshest treatment possible for such an offender. According to the TVF PTP bashers there must be zero tolerance for anyone that breaks the law.

Is it any wonder why there is resentment and frustration expressed by Thailand's underclass?

I think you're point is a little bit off. Your talking about operating a business to the status of a first world nation. While admirable, you have to remember this is being done in a third world nation. Sure, we all have to do what is legally required, but to provide full benefits, especially continuing education to people who are slacking off as much as they are allowed, and will never fully respect a farang boss, well that's nonsensical. Soon, it sounds like, his office will be filled with slackers only looking to maximize their benefits while minimizing their work. It sounds as if it were your business, it would be a good place to work for slackers, but it would have a short life span. When an employee has no respect for the job, as the OP stated, then how much respect should you give back? The first thing a business does in the developed world is try to weed out the slackers and under-performers, but here, Thai's are protected by law. I think someone needs a basic HR course, or at least a basic management course.

I know the 300B is way below the rate of any developed country, but as a business rule, you don't pay for what you don't get. So, paying extra for the same unskilled labour, or poorly qualified labor, just doesn't make sense. Where's the added value?

Edited by REM

It would be terrific if the PTP could in fact implement all of their promises.

But raising the average wage by 70% to 300baht per day is unrealistic. Employers will be forced to lower staff or hire lower cost staff. At worst, export prices will have go up and suddenly Thailand will be less competitive than other countries in manufacturing sectors. The market cant bare to pay a 70% wage increase without impacting elsewhere.

It is possible that they can afford the cheapest of the cheap Chinese tablet PC, but thats not where the cost or the benefit is. Its the wifi infrastructure, the educational software (biggest cost), teacher training, warranty and repairs. Sure, the could throw 800,000 tablets out there to say they fulfilled their promise, but it is a waste on money.

Be careful what you wish for.

I think you're point is a little bit off. Your talking about operating a business to the status of a first world nation. While admirable, you have to remember this is being done in a third world nation. Sure, we all have to do what is legally required, but to provide full benefits, especially continuing education to people who are slacking off as much as they are allowed, and will never fully respect a farang boss, well that's nonsensical. Soon, it sounds like, his office will be filled with slackers only looking to maximize their benefits while minimizing their work. It sounds as if it were your business, it would be a good place to work for slackers, but it would have a short life span. When an employee has no respect for the job, as the OP stated, then how much respect should you give back? The first thing a business does in the developed world is try to weed out the slackers and under-performers, but here, Thai's are protected by law. I think someone needs a basic HR course, or at least a basic management course.

I know the 300B is way below the rate of any developed country, but as a business rule, you don't pay for what you don't get. So, paying extra for the same unskilled labour, or poorly qualified labor, just doesn't make sense. Where's the added value?

Sounds to me like you are the issue, not them. 'never fully respect a farang boss' - where do you get this nonsense from?

I have an office with 35, very motivated, well paid people who work their tails off. This has been the case for the almost 11 years I've been running this company. I have had 3 non-performing staff in all this time and I managed to get rid of both of them with very little hassle.

It just takes a few smarts to run a company here. It also takes an understanding of the working culture here. If you have both, you should have very little trouble running a company here. For sure - all of the typical horror stories relating to Thai employees are totally avoidable.

The minimum wage is 300 Baht/day - that's $10. I'm not sure how 'get what you pay for' comes into it at this level. What on earth would you expect from someone on that sort of compensation?

Well supposedly the added value is reduction in tax for the business. However i am seriously failing to see how they think it will all work without crashing the economy.

For starters where would the supplement income come from to cover tax reduction from 30%-23%? After all, businesses are the only ones paying taxes, so ................

If the law is in on wage increase, a number of locally owned business, will either close down or do not pay the wage or simply cut the workforce into half and double the prices.

Foreign giants, will simply move to neighboring countries should it be cheaper to relocate

All in all, while an admirable platform, simply not workable and if implemented bound to destroy the country. Minimum wage will have no affect at all on staff performance. I have tested it out already a number of times. I had staff who i paid minimum wage and they did as little as possible, i had staff who i paid double the minimum wage but they also did as little as possible. I had staff on minimum wage, for whom i gave pay rise (30% more) but got even less work, because for some reason they decided that now because of the payrise they are in some "special" position.

University graduates are not much better, but they can read and write thai-thats about all the difference you get.

Edited by kuffki

Sounds to me like you are the issue, not them. 'never fully respect a farang boss' - where do you get this nonsense from?

I have an office with 35, very motivated, well paid people who work their tails off. This has been the case for the almost 11 years I've been running this company. I have had 3 non-performing staff in all this time and I managed to get rid of both of them with very little hassle.

It just takes a few smarts to run a company here. It also takes an understanding of the working culture here. If you have both, you should have very little trouble running a company here. For sure - all of the typical horror stories relating to Thai employees are totally avoidable.

The minimum wage is 300 Baht/day - that's $10. I'm not sure how 'get what you pay for' comes into it at this level. What on earth would you expect from someone on that sort of compensation?

$10 per day feeds you 8 meals per day-local prices. Since you understand business all that well,how do you compare what $10 is worth in the country where meal is $1?

Are you proposing to pay Western wages? like $10 per hour?:blink:

Are you saying it is OK to not do your job if your employer does not bend over backwards for you?

During the long weekend, Pheu Thai's PM candidate Yingluck Shinawatra spent time at home with her family for three consecutive days. She declined to talk to reporters and did not attend any public functions.

Needed a lie down. Must have got a bit dizzy from all the u-turns.

Weebles wobble but they don't fall down.

Rockem Sockem Robots pop their tops.

But family hand puppets, need some down time

to not be the glove that fits too tightly

I liked this part

"He said upon assuming office, the Pheu Thai-led government would organise a workshop for agencies concerned to brainstorm and clarify its policy implementation steps."

In other words they had no idea how to go about implementing their policies. Now that they have suckered you in they will try to figure it out.

I am not tech minded but it seems to me that 5,000 baht for a tablet is pretty cheap. Can you get any thing at all for that price that does more than play games?

"During the long weekend, Pheu Thai's PM candidate Yingluck Shinawatra spent time at home with her family for three consecutive days. She declined to talk to reporters and did not attend any public functions."

but was busy the whole weekend with video link conferences at the house on 300 baht per day, tablets for student, 15,000 bath for newly graduate, credit card, blah, blah, blah ...

It's a pity that the majority of Thais are accepting and supporting a government that was elected through false hope policies and activities considered illegal against the election law.

It's even worse that the majority of Thais think Yingluck has qualifications and abilities to run the government. What a farce!

Suchart said his party had already mapped out contingency plans to cushion the impact of a wage hike, dismissing concerns about the country's competitiveness.

They haven't done the sums and they obviously have no clue about economics at all.

Basically lets see. If they keep enough promises they will reelected next time and if they dont the voters can reject them. We only have a maximum of 4 years to wait. And of course the masses can demonstrate if unsatisfied too and Thailand has a long and rich history of street demos that go back a long time, so politicians are aware of this and the problems associated with reneging on promises particularly to farmers

Why are they proposing the average daily wage to go up by 70% to 300 baht per day?

Will it increase productivity? No

Will it increase competitiveness? No

Was it promised so Thai's would vote for PTP? Bingo.

There is no merit in this wage increase. Regardless of what our Western standards say, Thai's on the minimum wage seem to be doing fine.

A wage increase will see some of them lose their jobs to staff cuts or Burmese staff and multinationals look elsewhere, meaning more job loses.

Populist vote only. Will not happen en masse and anyone that thinks this is a good idea really doesn't understand basic economics.

Another typical Gkid retort. 6800+ posts criticising anyone with an opinion different than yours. Get a life.

I have had 3 non-performing staff in all this time and I managed to get rid of both of them with very little hassle.

:lol:

lol!

Did I really type that???

I should write an ebook - how to get rid of a Thai employee without ending up in labor court.

I'll do it as a series of 2 books. Book 1 & book 3....

Why are they proposing the average daily wage to go up by 70% to 300 baht per day?

Will it increase productivity? No

Will it increase competitiveness? No

Was it promised so Thai's would vote for PTP? Bingo.

There is no merit in this wage increase. Regardless of what our Western standards say, Thai's on the minimum wage seem to be doing fine.

A wage increase will see some of them lose their jobs to staff cuts or Burmese staff and multinationals look elsewhere, meaning more job loses.

Populist vote only. Will not happen en masse and anyone that thinks this is a good idea really doesn't understand basic economics.

I guess you will volunteer to give 200 and some baht a day a try and see if it is doable.

Another typical Gkid retort. 6800+ posts criticising anyone with an opinion different than yours. Get a life.

LOL... Be ready for another classic answer from the same....

Pheu Thai should provide documentation of their proposals that consist of the calculations, assumptions and forecasts that led to their conclusion that the promises are feasible, even enough to guarantee that they will all be implemented.

A few vague verbal statements via the media in an attempt to reassure everyone that everything will be OK are not convincing enough.We're not all stupid (though many of their voters are and they know it).

Edited by hyperdimension

"I guarantee every Pheu Thai policy is practical and will be implemented,"

:lol: :lol:

Did somebody hit him with a pie after he said it?

TheWalkingMan

I loathe Taksin and reds but 300 baht a day should be the minimum wage. It is easily achieved with government subsidies for companies that cant pay by making people pay their taxes including not just elite but all those people who have business's or income which at moment pay nothing. A good start would be for Taksin clan to start paying up what they should and all those forang who own condos and property they let out should also be forced to pay. The only reason the Thai tax authorities are not collecting tax on rental income is either incompetence, corruption or because it would also make Thai elite pay. The dems where starting to try and implement a land and property tax which would have helped.