Ais 3G ?

tolsti

Be careful though. Not all unlimited data customers are transferred to 3G from what I read.

If you are using an iPhone plan, you are automatically upgraded to 3G.

If you are using a BlackBerry on AIS, you will have to call AIS to get the upgrade.

If you are using normal smartphone plan, you will not get 3G. If you are using an iPhone on this plan, call AIS to get upgraded.

Other smartphones users who want to be on 3G will have to subscribe an add-on 3G package. There is no "base plan" for 3G yet.

Unlimited data with 3G is available also as an add-on package. That means you will need another base plan for your minutes (i.e. 200 baht + 799 unlimtied 3G)

True. However I was a GPRS ULIMITATE 799 WIFI/BUNDLE customer.

I just got my notification this morning and I quote: 3GandEDGE/GPRSUnlimitated +Wifi has been activated. I have been upgraded.

I use a WP7 Samsung Omnia. I am a Seranade GOLD dont know if that makes a difference or not.

They automatically upgraded me to the 3GB.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In general it would help if people said whether they were pre-paid or post-paid customers.

There do not appear to be any One-2-Call (pre-paid) packages which include 3G, but all current promotions expire today, 31 July so maybe there will be some new ones tomorrow? They should have a Smartphone package which includes 3G, IMO, even if it is priced a bit higher than 199 baht. http://www.ais.co.th/12call/en/pro-SmartPhone.html

The packages can be applied to pre-paid SIM cards, there are also iphone plans:

http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/3g/package/

http://www.mxphone.com/update/10568/AIS-3G

Yes, we've established that. But the discussion moved a bit to pre-paid packages which include minutes, SMSes, MMSes, data including 3G, like the existing 199 Baht Smart Phone Package. Hopefully they'll add one or more pre-paid packages which include 3G?

Yes, we've established that. But the discussion moved a bit to pre-paid packages which include minutes, SMSes, MMSes, data including 3G, like the existing 199 Baht Smart Phone Package. Hopefully they'll add one or more pre-paid packages which include 3G?

Yes you can see the details of the 3G iphone package when you scroll down a bit through the scanned flyers (second link I posted).

Yes you can see the details of the 3G iphone package when you scroll down a bit through the scanned flyers (second link I posted).

You lost me. Are you saying that:

the iPhone packages: mini, medium, max and max plus are pre-paid? and that they can be applied to any (Android) device, not just an iPhone? (I think those packages are post-paid, and are only good on iPhones.)

I was trying to establish if there are One-2-Call/Pre-paid inclusive PACKAGES (minutes, SMS, MMS, 2G/3G). As far as I can determine, as of today, there are not, and am hopeful that there will be, although AFAIK True do not offer any pre-paid inclusive PACKAGES with 3G. This might be an opportunity for AIS/One-2-Call to differentiate their 3G offering for pre-paid customers. (wishful thinking)

Edited by lomatopo

Can anyone confirm that AIS 3G is availabe around Sukhumvit Soi 31, near Phrom Phong station and beyond? Because when i called to AIS call center they said "3G is everywhere in Bangkok" but my phone only can connect to Edge around this area, but in other areas like Rama 4 i can use 3G, also there is no 3G after On Nut station, only edge..Is it only me or AIS 3G is far from everywhere in Bangkok?

Can anyone confirm that AIS 3G is availabe around Sukhumvit Soi 31, near Phrom Phong station and beyond? Because when i called to AIS call center they said "3G is everywhere in Bangkok" but my phone only can connect to Edge around this area, but in other areas like Rama 4 i can use 3G, also there is no 3G after On Nut station, only edge..Is it only me or AIS 3G is far from everywhere in Bangkok?

The coverage map for Bangkok shows the blue cloud ending ~ Phra Khanong. Sukhumvit Soi 31 looks 'covered'.

They announced 1,340 base stations in Bangkok. TOT and True have ~ 550-ish each and seem to have broader coverage. Maybe AIS has not turned up all 1,340 yet?

Just did a speed test in Chiang Mai, AIS 3G at Central Airport. An incredible 6Mbit/s download, and 1Mbit/s upload on my iPhone 4.

I have a prepaid card and saw a flyer advertising 1.5GB for 350 baht. However, I only got 1GB for 350 - are there two different promotions, does anyone know?

Edited by nikster

Just did a speed test in Chiang Mai, AIS 3G at Central Airport. An incredible 6Mbit/s download, and 1Mbit/s upload on my iPhone 4.

I have a prepaid card and saw a flyer advertising 1.5GB for 350 baht. However, I only got 1GB for 350 - are there two different promotions, does anyone know?

I suspect 90% of the traffic on the new AIS 3G network is "speedtest" data. :o Or maybe AIS have figured how to spoof all the speedtest requests. :whistling:

Any plans I've seen have been 1 GB for 350 baht. Can you share the "flyer" details? Perhaps it was some speciial promotion which you are not qualified for?

Edited by lomatopo

So AIS sell now 3g service and when 3g is not available, You can get edge. My question is, when I will get edge in my village, we have only gprs?

If you can get GPRS then you should be able to get EDGE. Can you share any details re: your phone/air-card/data plan?

No, my home and this village can not get edge on AIS. Every phone shows G not E, motorola, sony-ericsson and g-net are in use.

I have also AIS Enjoy edge aircard, model ZTE MF 150, never get edge. Same result with G1 edge aircard, not sure what company made this. There is many places in rural areas where you can not get edge on AIS network. And I have full 5 bars on signal level. If I go next, bigger village, there edge works great.

DTAC has edge all the time, every where. Proble with DTAC is their signal level drops down to 1-2 bar or no signal at all.

I suspect 90% of the traffic on the new AIS 3G network is "speedtest" data. :o Or maybe AIS have figured how to spoof all the speedtest requests. :whistling:

Any plans I've seen have been 1 GB for 350 baht. Can you share the "flyer" details? Perhaps it was some speciial promotion which you are not qualified for?

Sorry I can't read Thai... It was advertised under the 3G netsim package for 69 baht for the SIM. This SIM card was advertised for smartphones. I got the 50 baht cheapo SIM and I think maybe that's why. But don't know for sure. If I need the other SIM card I'll switch.

I think nobody is really using AIS 3G yet - relatively speaking - so it's fast. It can only go downhill from here. Spoofing speediest is easy on the server level (that is, all the Thai ISPs do it now), but not at the PC level. The Speed test app on the phone tells me how much I am getting over the 3G connection, there is no way AIS can spoof that. I was testing to BKK anyway.

It was advertised under the 3G netsim package for 69 baht for the SIM. This SIM card was advertised for smartphones. I got the 50 baht cheapo SIM and I think maybe that's why. But don't know for sure. If I need the other SIM card I'll switch.

Yes, the NetSIM 3G for 149 baht does have some great packages including 1.5 GB for 350 baht. Thanks for the heads up.

This is a new addition to the One-2-Call pre-paid operation so good to see.

http://www.ais.co.th/12call/en/simcard-one2call-netsim-3G.html

Edited by lomatopo

It was advertised under the 3G netsim package for 69 baht for the SIM. This SIM card was advertised for smartphones. I got the 50 baht cheapo SIM and I think maybe that's why. But don't know for sure. If I need the other SIM card I'll switch.

Yes, the NetSIM 3G for 149 baht does have some great packages including 1.5 GB for 350 baht. Thanks for the heads up.

This is a new addition to the One-2-Call pre-paid operation so good to see.

http://www.ais.co.th/12call/en/simcard-one2call-netsim-3G.html

I did notice these items in the T's & C's for that NetSIM 3G:

Applicable only to customers of AIS 3G Net SIM activatated during today - February 28th, 2011.

For One-2-call! customers, the package is applicable to June 30th, 2011.

So I am thinking this is an older service offering, and am not certain AIS/One-2-Call are honoring it for new customers. They may be honoring for existing customers as they tend to do this for years after a promotion has ended. Maybe they will renew it or add new NetSIM 3G packages?

edited to add: it does seem like the only currently available NetSIM for new 3G subscribers is the 69 baht version, which gives 1 GB of 3G for 350 baht.

http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/netsim/smart-phone/

Edited by lomatopo

Does AIS 3G work in Pattaya now ?

I have not seen any reports to the positive so I'd say no.

strange that the AIS 3G coverage map says it have signal here then :/

Do you have a link?

You may be making the same mistake I did; misreading the Chonburi map?

Both AIS and DTAC publicly state that they have nationwide EDGE coverage, i.e. on every single base-station. Have you contacted them to inform that you do not have EDGE? It could be a simple matter to sort out.

AIS may state that they have nationwide EDGE coverage, but I know for sure they do not. I occasionally do some driving up north, and there are some cells I connect to that only operate on GPRS, usually in very small villages or remote, mostly unpopulated areas.

In general it would help if people said whether they were pre-paid or post-paid customers.

There do not appear to be any One-2-Call (pre-paid) packages which include 3G, but all current promotions expire today, 31 July so maybe there will be some new ones tomorrow? They should have a Smartphone package which includes 3G, IMO, even if it is priced a bit higher than 199 baht. http://www.ais.co.th...SmartPhone.html

I live on Sukhumvit Soi 22.

For the last 2 or 3 weeks I had noticed an occasional 3G icon or H icon appearing on my Samsung Galaxy Tab, over the past week its been pretty much always there.

I'm on prepaid 799++ baht unlimited gprs/edge/wifi package.

When it expired 2 days ago I put the usual 1000 baht on to re-activate it and got an SMS saying I now have 3GB of 3G data, added to my normal unlimited edge/wifi. No voice minutes and no SMS/MMS, those I pay separately.

Using the speedtest.net app for android and with the phone showing H (not 3G) I just got - 66ms ping, 0.36Mbps Down, 0.10Mbps Up

After the test it noticed it dropped back to showing E not H (signal in my place is crap).

Have done several tests the last few days and not getting anywhere near the speeds other people are seeing, in fact even when it shows H it feels slower than edge :-(

Should I call AIS and check what plan I'm really on?

Hey guys,

Don't let the "incredible" speeds (as some have breathlessly claimed) fool you. It's safe to say 3g in Thailand will be like everywhere else. Fast at first....until significant numbers of people start using it. Couple that with TiT and well you get the drift.cool.gif

That Chonburi map sure does look a lot like Pattaya. Railway is about right but Sukhumvit looks a bit off. I'll bet there is signal in Pattaya. AIS executives go there on the weekends too. Maybe just not not built out and tested enough to advertise it but I'm sure it will be up and running soon enough.

Edited by ES1

Hey guys,

Don't let the "incredible" speeds (as some have breathlessly claimed) fool you. It's safe to say 3g in Thailand will be like everywhere else. Fast at first....until significant numbers of people start using it. Couple that with TiT and well you get the drift.cool.gif

That Chonburi map sure does look a lot like Pattaya. Railway is about right but Sukhumvit looks a bit off. I'll bet there is signal in Pattaya. AIS executives go there on the weekends too. Maybe just not not built out and tested enough to advertise it but I'm sure it will be up and running soon enough.

I can read Thai and I assure you it is not Pattaya.