Ais 3G ?

tolsti

AIS 3G just seems to keep degrading for me, to the point where it is nearly useless. Was stuck in traffic yesterday evening around 6PM at Asoke-Sukhumvit, with full signal strength and 3G indicated, but \ could not get any bandwidth at all to simply do a reply to a very urgent email. I couldn't load a single web page....nothing...nada. Completely frustrating! About fifteen minutes on, I noticed that my iPhone showed an EDGE connection rather than 3G and I was able to eek out enough bandwidth to send an email, but no more than that.

I seriously need to get switched out of AIS 3G, and be warned if you are thinking of subscribing to them.

I still can't figure out if AIS 3G works for you, with multi-Mega bits per second speeds, in any other locations or at any other times? You've related two instances, and in this latest one; "stuck in traffic at Asoke", it's easy to imagine the base-stations there getting overloaded as there are thousands of people (MRT, BTS, Bus, auto) all saturating one location. I'm not certain DTAC or Truemove would be any better in that situation? But you should try DTAC and Truemove SIMs as it is so easy to do, and if happy you can port your number.

Also, you do get free WiFi, so maybe sort out the username (typically your AIS number) and password, and check for WiFi APs when desperate for connectivity. I am sure AIS and/or 3BB have APs all along Sukhumvit.

I too have an unlimited data plan with AIS and often get good speeds at Asoke. Yesterday however, I seemed to have problems loading webpages in the afternoon. Maybe just some technical problems.

As for WiFi, I seem to have difficulty in locating either AIS or 3BB access points. I can locate True almost everywhere and at the moment True WiFi is super fast.

Edited by petedk

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too have an unlimited data plan with AIS and often get good speeds at Asoke. Yesterday however, I seemed to have problems loading webpages in the afternoon. Maybe just some technical problems.

As for WiFi, I seem to have difficulty in locating either AIS or 3BB access points. I can locate True almost everywhere and at the moment True WiFi is super fast.

Truemove claim 30,000 WiFi hotspots nationwide, while 3BB claims 37,000 38,000. YMMV AIS 3G users can "roam" onto the 3BB WiFi network.

I've had much, much better performance with AIS-3BB WiFi than True, but my recent AIS-3BB WiFi experience is very limited, just a few days, while I used True for ~ 8 months. It seems I could always find a True WiFi hotspot, and connect to it, but then it often (not always) would drop in and out continuously, across multiple locations.

Did you try out a Truemove SIM to insure it works with your phone and 3G? I guess the port can take 3 ~ 5 business days? But maybe you are using the new Truemove SIM now? And 3G works fine?

Haven't tried it yet but as I bought the phone in Thailand from a reputable retailer, I've no reason to suspect that the new SIM won't be able to receive 3G. I tried my AIS sim with my old Nokia N86 and I could get 3G no problem. I assumed that if my Desire S couldn't get AIS 3G when my Nokia could, that was all the proof I needed.

Thought I'd confirm that TruemoveH is working fine and with decent speeds.

Praying that I'll have no reason to speak to ANY Thai customer service operation for at least a month, though . . .

I just started trialing a Samsung Galaxy S2 with AIS 3G and have to say the performance has been very bad. Much like some of bubba's experiences. Sometimes I see an "r" next to the signal strength bars which typically means "roaming" is in force, even though data roaming was not selected. (I know about the 3G roaming agreement between AIS and TOT, I did force 900 Mhz 3G only which was of little help, but no "r".) I seem to bounce around from H+ (3G) to E (EDGE) frequently. I seem unable to browse the internet, as I time out (similar to a DNS issue). Even if I force EDGE I cannot browse a website. AIS was helpful but seemed to be saying that I was getting a weak signal.

Occasionally I could get a browser to work, and even get the Speedtest app. to work, where I was seeing ~ 1.1 Mbps down and ~ 60 Kbps up.

This has only been a few days, from one static location, and there may be some issues with the SGS2 modem firmware (original KH1, with several newer versions available) so just an interim report. I'm leaning towards recommending Truemove H or DTAC for this phone. A DTAC SIM with 3G worked fine, ~ 6 Mbps down, and ~ 2 Mbps up and no connectivity issues.

I was in Bangkok couple a days ago and ais gprs/edge didn't worked at all. Or yes it worked but I was many times connected to GSM 1800, not TH GSM and my aircard shows roaming. And when this happened, data would not move. Manual network selection solved the problem.

Edited by hullupullo

I have the same Smart Phone package from AIS to which Phil Conners refers, I do get 3G connectivity in Bangkok on that (and the renewal SMS now includes reference to 3G data) however I also suffer from the same experience as lomatopo at times bouncing repeatedly back and fore between 3G/EDGE.

Surely teething troubles as they roll out capacity, AIS has been the most reliable network for GPRS then EDGE coverage nationwide over the last few years in my experience with DTAC a close second in rural areas.

I was at RAMA II (major cineplex, food court, and the other 1/2 of rama II that had a fish tank massage) and I do not receive any 3G signal. Did not remember seeing signal on the way from Wong Wian Yai with taxi either.

I got 3G @ Siam Paragon no problems of course.

Edited by 4evermaat

I was at RAMA II (major cineplex, food court, and the other 1/2 of rama II that had a fish tank massage) and I do not receive any 3G signal. Did not remember seeing signal on the way from Wong Wian Yai with taxi either.

I got 3G @ Siam Paragon no problems of course.

I've seen this in many places around Bangkok when inside buildings. That is, I might be getting a 3G connection outside, but inside a building it's EDGE. I'm guessing that might be because AIS do not have 3G connectivity on the microcells that they place inside buildings. Not that it really matters. My data speeds with AIS continue to be abysmal during weekdays, regardless of whether I am connected to EDGE or 3G.

All in all, even in central Bangkok, constant 3G connection with AIS is sort of hit or miss. I'm seeing my phone switch between EDGE and 3G quite frequently.

I went to 2 different Telewiz locations here in Pattaya today to purchase an Aircard. The AIS website shows the 7.2 card available for 1990 baht with 1 month free "unlimited" followed by 799 a month.

However, neither shop was willing to sell me that offer. Both quoted me 2290 for the same card, with 30 hours free and NO 3G!!

I was under the impression that the Telewiz shops were AIS retailers, but maybe not as they will not honor promotions on the AIS website.

However, after reading these threads I am thinking about going with TrueMove H anyway.

Last year in Chiang Mai, visiting a friend just west of Hang Dong I could get an ais 3g signal. Today I only get edge or an indicated 'h' whatever that is. Seems a step backwards to me.

H = HSDPA which is actually a step above 3G. ;)

Last year in Chiang Mai, visiting a friend just west of Hang Dong I could get an ais 3g signal. Today I only get edge or an indicated 'h' whatever that is. Seems a step backwards to me.

It's been called 3.5G but still 3G more or less as far as consumers are concerned. Only benefits of 3.5G over 3G are for the Telco not the consumer

Edited by ES1

HSDPA is just one of the protocols involved, the other being HSUPA. So the 'H' is more likely to stand for HSPA or HSPA+.

I really think that if you count the coverage out, saying that Thailand is the country with worst 3G service is totally an understatement.

I mean, how many people actually use 3G in Cambodia or 3G in the Phillippines or Indonesia? I've used all of them, their coverage isn't THAT great and their speeds are no where near 2Mbps.

I think it's good that Thais are so concerned with their 3G services so much that the telcos will really have to live up to expectations.

So how many people like the re-branding of AIS?

Maybe it will grow on me but the colors are a bit off-putting.

They're spending 500 million baht in an effort "...to reflect a more friendly and optimistic image." which is "...aimed at erasing the public perception that it has political connections"

:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Are you sure that all HTC DESIRE S phones sold in Thailand cannot be used on AIS / 12Call 3G signal ?

Because these phones use 850Mhz in thailand, But 900 Mhz in the rest of the world ?

Thanks.

The officially launched and localized HTC Desire S here in Thailand supports 850/2100 Mhz 3G so would work with Truemove H or DTAC on 850 Mhz 3G and/or TOT/MVNOs on 2100 Mhz in metro-Bangkok.

There are other versions of the HTC Desire S, distributed in other countries, which supports 900/2100 Mhz 3G.

I have the same Smart Phone package from AIS to which Phil Conners refers, I do get 3G connectivity in Bangkok on that (and the renewal SMS now includes reference to 3G data) however I also suffer from the same experience as lomatopo at times bouncing repeatedly back and fore between 3G/EDGE.

Surely teething troubles as they roll out capacity, AIS has been the most reliable network for GPRS then EDGE coverage nationwide over the last few years in my experience with DTAC a close second in rural areas.

I can confirm the thai and english renew message also says 3G for the smartphone package...no need for separate 3g package? I accidentally left the 3G 1gb on.

It's been called 3.5G but still 3G more or less as far as consumers are concerned. Only benefits of 3.5G over 3G are for the Telco not the consumer

Thanks for letting me know. The reason I thought it was a retrograde step is that the speed tests I ran when the 'h' was displayed were alot slower than whe I was connected by way of edge. Weird:-)

• 1 month later...

Looks like AIS 3g coverage is expanding. I can confirm 3g coverage in wong wien yai, south bus terminal,victory monument, and big big budda rangsit. plus i occassionally spot-check phone and see lots of places that get 3g signal. Looks like i can put away the true 3g stick?

Wrong, HSPA speeds far exceed 3G speeds. Makes a big difference for consumers. Just google or look fo wikipedia.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Both AIS and DTAC publicly state that they have nationwide EDGE coverage, i.e. on every single base-station. Have you contacted them to inform that you do not have EDGE? It could be a simple matter to sort out.

Newsflash, email from AIS after one week

We are sorry for a delay in response. According to your email about edge service, as we have checked, on the mentioned location the available service in GPRS only. EDGE is not available.

Same time on AIS webpage...

http://www.ais.co.th...ternet-package/

EDGE+

ครอบคลุม ทุกที่ ทั่วไทย

Wohoooo! AIS did upgrade on our village tower and yes, now we have EDGE! One hour job, took more than 6 months and 3 engineers to come and sort it out.