Should I Cancel My Non-Imm B?

Hi everybody,

I got my non-immigrant B visa from Hull 2 months ago by supplying a recommandation letter from a company who hired me. I didn't start working there (officially) and didn't apply for the work permit.

I have now found another job, the new company is saying that I need to cancel my current non-imm B because it is bound to the first company. The visa doesn't specify anywhere for which company I am working (I guess maybe the immigration could relate to it with the visa number maybe).

Could you confirm? Hope I was clear ;)

Thanks a lot!

Your non-B visa is not bound to any company, and can be used for the new job. Only when you renew it either when it expires (do you have 3 month or 12 month?) or earlier if you prefer to extend to 1 year straight away, will it then be tied to that specific job with that company, and will be cancelled immediately when your job finishes.

No need to cancel anything, you are not on an extension of stay from immigraiton yet I presume, as you are only here for two months. You can just stay in Thailand (till your permisison to stay ends of course) and apply for a work permit with the new company.

thanks for the quick answers! That's what I thought too ;) Yes I have a multiple entry, that would have been a shame to lose it like that ;) My company is double checking with the immigration, I will let you know.

Thanks again!

I am getting confused now, my company says they can apply for the work permit but I will have to renew my visa when the 90 days stamp (that I got at the airport) will expire next month.

Can anyone confirm this?

If it is a multiple entry then you just need to leave the country and come back for another 90 day entry (no new visa needed).

Unless... you have your work permit and you and your company meet the requirements for extension for the purpose of work... if so, you can get a 1 yr extension from immigration...

Up to you which you would prefer...

I am getting confused now, my company says they can apply for the work permit but I will have to renew my visa when the 90 days stamp (that I got at the airport) will expire next month.

Can anyone confirm this?

There is no need for a new visa, unless it has expired. You will need to exit Thailand and re-enter to receive another 90 day permission to stay stamp, assuming that you have a multiple entry visa.

Can anyone confirm this?

Once you have the work permit , you could apply for a 1 year extension of stay with paperwork form the company (if the company/job qualifies for that).

Alternatively you can just go to the border and enter another country and come straight back to get another 90 day permisison to stay on your valid non-B.

thanks everyone. They insist I will have to renew my visa next month I don't know how to convince them... the admin lady called the immigration and apparently that's what they said, but I suspect they misunderstand each other.

I will apply for the work permit next week. About the extension, do I have to do it myself or is it the company's responsability? I could do border runs every 90 days but I'd better avoid that!

Thanks!

Salary to meet requirements of your nationality and paperwork from employer. As you say this is a new company they will likely not be able to provide tax records for one to two years so extension of stay will not be possible until they can.

thanks! no actually it's not a new company, it's just the first time they face this situation (someone joining with already a non-b with no work permit attached).

Any idea about the kind of paperwork I will need to show?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

ok finally I will keep my multiple entry visa. I will do the border run this week-end.

Now just one question, as I could not find precise answers: Is that possible to report every 90 days to the immigration instead of doing border runs with this multiple entry visa?

thanks for the answer lopburi :)

actually I meet the requirements for the extension of stay.

So if I have it, will I still be able to go out and in from Thailand without asking for a re-entry permit (I guess I should not since it is a multiple entry visa)?

My company proposed me to apply for a brand new single entry visa with an extension of stay, but I would have to apply for a re-entry permit if I want to travel abroad, which costs 3800 bahts.

But a single entry visa only costs 2k instead of 5k so not much difference.

You will lose your extension of stay if you leave without a re-entry permit for return - return would be 90 days if your visa was still valid.

well the thing is that my current multiple entry visa is still valid for 9 months (even 12 if I go out the day before its expiry date), the only thing that bothers me is having to do these border runs every 90 days. I would prefer having to report to immigration instead.

If I were you I would prefer to keep the multi-entry as long as possible, and put up with the border runs, that's what I did for my first year working here.

Why? If you get an extension of stay based on work, then that extension is revoked the same day your employment ends. All you can then do is get a 7 day extension from immigration before you have to naff off. By keeping your multi-entry, your visa is independent of your work, and if for some reason it doesn't work out with your new employer (like it didn't with your previous employer) then you still have your visa.

9 months down the line you will have a much better feel for your future with the company, and can apply for your extension of stay then.

thanks a lot QED, yes that's the main reason why I want to keep that multiple entry visa too (with the fact that I already paid for it, that would have been a waste of money).

I guess I will visit Poipet every three months then :(