Leo Beer

fredob43

My solution is to drink Beer Lao. There is no such thing as a good beer brewed in Thai. Try Carlsberg in Viet Nam for an example of an excellent drop.

Yes like it dark or light, but cant get it where I live. Now gone over to Archa 6 large one's 200bt. Tried it the other night and no problem's easy on the pocket too. Going to have a few while watching the football tonight. Might help me put up with the Thai commentary, where every other word is Krup. With a bit of luck they might even know some of the player's name's. Oh the joy's of living in Thailand, if you dont get run over they try and kill you off with the beer. Best of luck all to all us beer drinker's.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Formaldehyde, did here a roomer. :(

Dont know about that. But update off out tonight not yesterday first beer a Leo, the owner of the bar thought I was mad but I explained it was a scientific test before I finished it the head ache's started. Switched to Tiger. As I had only had half a pint or so the head got a little better. Polished off two Tiger's large in total, now home and am still having the odd twinge. So No more Leo for me ever. Best of luck to all you Leo drinker's. I dont know what their putting in it but what ever it is they can keep it.

If l go to someones house for a party and Leo is the only beer available then for sure headache and hangover. Chang Draught, no problem. :)

Dont know about that. But update off out tonight not yesterday first beer a Leo, the owner of the bar thought I was mad but I explained it was a scientific test before I finished it the head ache's started. Switched to Tiger. As I had only had half a pint or so the head got a little better. Polished off two Tiger's large in total, now home and am still having the odd twinge. So No more Leo for me ever. Best of luck to all you Leo drinker's. I dont know what their putting in it but what ever it is they can keep it.

If l go to someones house for a party and Leo is the only beer available then for sure headache and hangover. Chang Draught, no problem. :)

I know what you mean. Some beer's do not agree to all. But have been drinking it for year's and so have my friend's, with no adverse affect's. At odd time's have had a real skin full not ever a hang over. It's just in the last several week's that the problem's have started. Put the OP in to see if anyone else was getting the same thing, it might be where it is brewed that we are getting, but who know's anyway the upshot is we have all stopped drinking it. Well all except one but he's brain dead anyway. To give you an idea TA he brought a new Mazda 3 and sold it after 6 month's lost bundle's. There told you Leo give's you problem's.

I know what you mean. Some beer's do not agree to all. But have been drinking it for year's and so have my friend's, with no adverse affect's. At odd time's have had a real skin full not ever a hang over. It's just in the last several week's that the problem's have started. Put the OP in to see if anyone else was getting the same thing, it might be where it is brewed that we are getting, but who know's anyway the upshot is we have all stopped drinking it. Well all except one but he's brain dead anyway. To give you an idea TA he brought a new Mazda 3 and sold it after 6 month's lost bundle's. There told you Leo give's you problem's.

:cheesy:, Dee ma.

It would have been more scientific to drink the Tiger first, then the Leo.

It would have been more scientific to drink the Tiger first, then the Leo.

Well maybe but the idea was to stay on Leo all night at least to have three anyway. But as stated never got that far, the problem's started within the first 20 Min: Wasn't going to tempt providence, so the Tiger enabled me to have a good night.

Many years ago, before Beer Chang, you had a choice basically between Beer Sing ,Kloster and Amarit. Most farang could not drink Beer Singh . it used to impart the most dreadful hangovers. Sadly Kloster and Amarit , in my opinion were dreadful ,undrinkable. I used to drink MeKhong and Soda. Until salvation arrived in the form of Beer Chang.

Oh Yeah! Beer Chang Arroy!

Chang had a problem a few years ago with some of the big bottles.The taste was certainly not beer.I put a post on TV and several members stated they had come across the same thing in all different parts of Thailand. I actually wrote to the brewery and did get some sort of reply back(not the offer of a free carton or two though) Happy to say that its no longer a problem and every bottle of Chang(Classic) is just as good as the last -if not better!

Chang had a problem a few years ago with some of the big bottles.The taste was certainly not beer.I put a post on TV and several members stated they had come across the same thing in all different parts of Thailand. I actually wrote to the brewery and did get some sort of reply back(not the offer of a free carton or two though) Happy to say that its no longer a problem and every bottle of Chang(Classic) is just as good as the last -if not better!

Went off Chang for the same reason as you have stated never had it since, then I went onto Leo now we my chum's and I are all getting the same problem as I had with chang, that's large of small. Anyway they can poke it. I'm now drinking Archa at home and Tiger out.

Most 'chemical' beers have formaldehyde in them. Tiger is no exception and a Tiger hangover, to me, is unequaled. I hate the stuff.

The best beers in Asia ironically are from the the poorer countries i.e Beer Lao and Angkor as they do not have the money to invest in brewing technologies i.e. putting chemicals in beer....brewed the old fashioned way!

I agree about Asahi though, very nice beer. 6 months back it used to be priced between the local sh#te and beers like Heineken but I notice as of late the price has jumped significantly in our local supermarkets......

Most 'chemical' beers have formaldehyde in them. Tiger is no exception and a Tiger hangover, to me, is unequaled. I hate the stuff.

The best beers in Asia ironically are from the the poorer countries i.e Beer Lao and Angkor as they do not have the money to invest in brewing technologies i.e. putting chemicals in beer....brewed the old fashioned way!

I agree about Asahi though, very nice beer. 6 months back it used to be priced between the local sh#te and beers like Heineken but I notice as of late the price has jumped significantly in our local supermarkets......

forgot to mention tasty Bier Hanoi and Bier 333 brewed in HCMC again in a poorer country. Bintang in Indonesia also isn't bad but they had the dutch to show them how to do things just like the french in Laos, Cambo and VN...

I drank Leo for years before I gave strong drink away.

Drank plenty and suffered considerable weight gain. B)

The bad news is that my Dad's 74 year old mate was staying here for a few days last week and I bought him a box of Leo.

He seemed to handle it ok and various Thai family members dropped in for a gargle without suffering any noticeable ill effects.

He left today so I'll keep an eye on the obituaries.

I googled that claim and I got a website about the top 10 beer myths and myth number 8 is that Thai beer contains formaldehyde. Do you have a reliable source for this claim?

He won't have because it is not true.

Indeed, but according to the BBC website cheap lager typically contains one or more of these chemicals:

Betaglucanase

Ammonia caramel

Rhoiso-alpha acids

Sulphur dioxide

Protease

Amyloglucosidase

Propylene glycol alginate

Silicone

I can easily imagine someone in a Thai brewery screwing up and accidentally adding too much propylene glycol alginate or whatever. That could explain the strange sicknesses people suffer.

Edited by edwardandtubs

In the Can

It can now be revealed why bottled beer and beer from a tap tastes different from beer in a can.

Be forewarned: if you're a six-pack enthusiast, you're not going to like the explanation.

When you sip a can of your favorite brew, you are savoring not only fermented grain and hops but just a hint of the same preservative that kept the frog you dissected in 10th-grade biology class lily-pad fresh: formaldehyde.Ed Cohen

Full article:

Edited by cdnvic
Edited to fair-use guidelines

In the Can

Did you even read that article before pasting it? It's about cans, not beer and anyway says that formaldehyde is NOT in modern cans. So clearly there is no formaldehyde in lager nowadays.

Can you be sure of that in LOS. :)

• 4 weeks later...

try this, get a glass of water about half full then open a bottle of Leo. Stick the hole of the bottle directly into the glass of water, and hold the bottle upside down until what appears to be beer stops coming out.

Something comes out and when you drink the beer it will taste different with no more hangover. If you do it right no water should get into the beer.

Yes, Leo has been giving me headaches too, switched to Heineken.

• 2 weeks later...

try this, get a glass of water about half full then open a bottle of Leo. Stick the hole of the bottle directly into the glass of water, and hold the bottle upside down until what appears to be beer stops coming out.

Something comes out and when you drink the beer it will taste different with no more hangover. If you do it right no water should get into the beer.

Yes, Leo has been giving me headaches too, switched to Heineken.

Could you say that again in different words please. Its not making sense to me but sounds very interesting.

Haven't had a problem with LEO but then I don't think I have ever drank more than 4 large bottles at a sitting.

Now I do Blend 285 and soda. Just enough whiskey to sweeten the soda. Can drink all day and stay hydrated too.

I'm dubious about the claim that the stuff is "blended by experts from Scotland". I have an image of them wandering around Soi Cowboy at 2 AM looking for drunk Scotsmen to mix the stuff up for them.

I've noticed that Black Cat has re-appeared. That used to be my whisky of choice before it disappeared.

I used to have similair problems, have come to the conclusion that all beers made in Thailand are crap.

I switched to imported German beers and the problems noted above have long gone, ok they cost more, a small price to pay to be able to wake up headache/hangover free the next morning.

Since switching to imported beers, its been like coming out of a haze.

Problem for me isn't cost but taste. I really like Leo and the only readily available imported option for me is Heineken, which i hate.

Federbrau i do like, but my Seven doesn't stock it, and i have no idea whether it would be any improvement in terms of beating headaches.

Just a detail, Heineken sold in Thailand is brewed in Thailand, by Thai Asia Pacific Brewery, not imported.

http://www.tapb.co.th/en/product/index.html

• 2 weeks later...

any update on the bottled Leo beer quality issue? I'm back at home in Suphan for a few months and Leo useta be the only beer I'd drink when we 'go out to eat' at various food stalls in our vicinity...I was at the food hall at the Lotus in Suphan town and saw that local thais were sitting with large bottles of Leo (I was drinking Chang draft which isn't bad...) waiting for the legendary Suphan homeboy Boon Mee to miraculously appear...

any update on the bottled Leo beer quality issue? I'm back at home in Suphan for a few months and Leo useta be the only beer I'd drink when we 'go out to eat' at various food stalls in our vicinity...I was at the food hall at the Lotus in Suphan town and saw that local thais were sitting with large bottles of Leo (I was drinking Chang draft which isn't bad...) waiting for the legendary Suphan homeboy Boon Mee to miraculously appear...

Sorry I cant be of any help on that one as all of us have now changed over to Tiger. Give it Leo a try if you don't get problem's your sorted it may have been a bad batch who know's, but if it can happen once it can happen again, and I'm not taking a chance's. Quality control is crap here at the best of time. Let us know how you get on.

I'm wondering if it's the beer temperature, I always insist on my beer yen maak (very cold) if i'm out, If enjoying a couple of cleansing ales at home, I always get 10 baht of ice, & turn the bathroom sink into a holding basin full of ice cold tinnies, let sit for 5-10 minutes, then enjoy, maybe the problem is combination of warm beer & dehydration ?

regards songhklasid B) B)