Foreigners That Just 'Exist' In Thailand

hotandhumid

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live a happy life here, please forget categories.

I mean who gives a sheet about how people live, if you are happy then thats all that matters.

Looking down on people because they are poorer, less intelligent, alcoholic or whatever just shows you are trying to build your own self esteem.

I guess the OP is talking about me. I wander around CM and donot spend any money except for the bangkok Post. I am quite happy if I speak to no one during the day waiting for my girlfriend to finish work so I just hang out and go to the gym down the street from my condo. While hanging out I will talk to whoever or spend time in my room reading and meditating.

What the OP doesn't realize many people have a inner life that allows them to be very happy without a lot of external stimulation and a need to judge other people and how they live their life

I see what other Foreigners buy in Supermarkets... totally mad, in my view

Fruit and Veg at a local Village market is a fraction of the price and a lot fresher,

Old Lady come with a hand cart down the Village every Sat, big bunch of Bananas 20 baht.. supermarket = 50 baht

Local market has cake freshly made, donuts 5 baht every bit as good as 15 baht form Mr Donut. Cake slice 10 baht again every bit as good as 65 baht form a cake shop. Truck comes every day with fresh cooked chicken also make a meals while you wait, took my plate out yesterday for my evening meal 20 baht.

Mango's on the side of the road yesterday yellow ready to eat were 25 baht kg..

Nice place I like to eat 2 Villages away meal 35 baht, have eaten for 10x that price for crap food.

Meat from side of road every day, looks a lot better and loads cheaper than Big C Extra.. Nice + is you can pick out a nice piece of Pork or Beef and for NO charge they will mince it for you, nothing like that expensive full of fat stuff you buy at supermarkets.

If I had loads of extra money then maybe would hire a maid, she could go to the local markets, otherwise i am quite happy here not going out often, I do have a garden, nice detached house, 200 Koi fish, 6 dogs, no I do not go to bars never have don't drink and not about to start after 60 years...

There a English Guy 6 km away, married they live in a 1 room place for past 8 years, very happy, always eat at street stalls, money is not a problem, when they go out they use Taxi 600 baht [myself think it is a waste as BKK is 55 km + many air con mini buses for 30 baht every 30 mins] [[OK if I ever need to go to BKK I drive my car}} they go to UK 1x a year and fly 1st class..

So how can we judge if a Foreigner has no money or Just 'Exist' In Thailand ?

Like some other posters, I don't really understand why others seem to care about how much money a person spends. And they seem proud of the fact that they spend 10 baht less for bananas or noodles.

I don't waste money, in my opinion. I shop at Klong Toei market for fresh fruits, veggies, and eggs when I am driving by. (On the other hand, I am not going to drive 30 km round-trip to save 15 baht over buying the eggs from FreshMart.) But except for perhaps a pork collar I plan on slow-cooking, I won't generally buy meat from the local markets as I find the meat from Freshmart, Tops, and Villa Market just taste better. I do eat street food, but I also go to the Rib Room Restaurant for a good steak. I buy Welches Grape Juice for 245 baht because I like it (and what is that, 2 or three beers at a bar), steak from Villa Market, imported tomatoes from Holland, etc., simply because they are worth it to me.

But I rarely go out at night. I work, go to the gym, and go home to cook dinner, watch tv, and read. Merely "existing?" So what? If I am comfortable doing that, then whose business is that except for mine?

I have a Marine buddy of mine who will do his next tour in Afghanistan, then retire while in his early 50's. He wants to live in Cebu or Jomtien. This guy is very, very frugal, and he has invested enough to be able to retire with what I consider a comfortable income. But for him, he doesn't want a tv or aircon, and he normally rents places for 4000-6000 baht per month. He runs in the morning, reads all day, then goes out to the bars at night. Every day. "Existing" or "not-existing?" Who cares? As long as it pleases him, then that is all that matters.

I find my life here very pleasant, and spending 10 times as much money every day would not make it better at all. In fact it would probably make it much worse.

This is my point, that is just an existance.

OK. You tell me what I should be doing with my time and I will tell you whether I would enjoy doing those things or not. And if you come up with something that I might enjoy that I'm not currently doing then I will try it.

I suspect that all the things you might suggest would be things that I detest though.

Your all sad on this website.

Seems most of you spend all day on here. Get a life.

I read about about 4 replies to this thread and its the usual crap.

I have never come across such a group of people that i have on this website.

Have a good day u muppets.

:coffee1:

Gee let me guess....

You are 55+ (most likely 62+), American.

Worked your ass off "at home", same lame job, same lame company - had an absolutely miserable life

Divorced your wife of XX years (sad).

Couldn't find Thailand on a map to save your life but had always heard stories of good living and easy sex

Easy sex, that means even you can get laid

You sold everything you had, which wasn't much BUT...

The company did provide you with a pension, you sold your house in the peak, you may have rec'd a severance (lucky you,) you cobbled together some decent savings and are now collecting a govt pension all before you cut it loose.

Really funny the lack of respect people that have been out here doing this for decades get these days, esp on this board. We were tripping Thailand when it was almost dangerous - certainly, up until about 2000 the place still held some mystery on the Internet -despite Thailand being finished before I even arrived in 93.

Thai's and most people love to be around people tossing the dosh about, few respect it.

Thailand has always been a cheap charlie hangout. This changed about 2000 when the air-con, toilet paper, hot water, if you dont like it you can leave crowd rolled in.

What are you doing for mankind that would qualify as far more than simply existing?

Since when is minding your money something to be ashamed of? My parents always told me, wealthy people did not get that way by spending.

Edited by bangkokburning

OP makes me think about another issue which also was discussed recently.

The ones that choose to live as OP has described. Do they never worry about the future?

What when one becomes older and gets sick more frequently.

What to do if one is getting so old one really needs a social circle with people that really will be there for you the day you get really ill, and the same week the visa expires.

Then what?

Surely many members know someone living like OP described.

Do they never think about the future?

What is really funny....for being such a loser all my facebook friends think despite me openly admitting I live a VERY spartan life think I have the life of luxury. I have my time, my travels and a pretty girlfriend. Of my 150 friends there are few, scant few who would not change places with me tomorrow. My sister recently wrote to me..."you look so happy"..

Me and my loser life.

BTW just returned from ten days on Koh Tao with a lovely Thai lady, we have been together for over 1.5 yrs now.

The Loser

There's a type of farang, often with a thai working girl on his arm, that throws money at everything. This type of farang doesn't know how to speak Thai, his girlfriend translates for him so he has this warped view on the world he lives in. He is basically buying his way through life.

There is another type who works here and pays the going rate for everything, speaks some of the language and muddles through life happy

There is the balloon chaser who is at the end of the dream. Money running out. Looking at the balcony.

The farang that has decided to become a monk and renounced all material possesions.

Then there is the farang that looks at all the other farangs and decideds he is better than all the above.

Then theres the farang that has been living in Thailand so long that he doesn't bother to catergorize others.

Which one are you?

You must know different Monks to me.Round here they live better than a poor ferang.Mobiles, P.C., Air Con,ATM cards, free food, and the hidden pickup for days out.

I think the OP has a point about some of the sad sacks you see wandering around Thailand.

It does seem sort of pathetic filling in your days doing nothing, aspiring to nothing and living off the smell of an oily rag.

It smacks of having given up on life really.

I suspect that many of us are coping with a markedly reduced income since the financial crash of 2008. When I arrived to live in Thailand in the spring of that year, my safe investments were paying me 5%, the exchange rate was over 65 Baht to the pound, and my lifestyle intentions were fairly modest.

By the time the interest rates were reduced to about .5 %, and the exchange rate dropped to about 45 Baht to the pound I found myself having to live on little more than half of the income that I had budgeted on. Not a massive problem, as I wasn't expecting to live in luxury, just to look after my Thai wife and her daughter, and to live quietly as a family. I don't drink at home, and only go out for a beer about once every three weeks.

Then My wife became seriously ill, and needed an expensive operation, followed by chemiotherapy, and I was diagnosed with an illness that I have to control with an expensive assortment of medicines. A rise in the cost of school fees for our little girl didn't help much.

We're still managing, but things like trips home to the UK, travel around Thailand, and other non essential spending have had to stop. I hope that things will pick up in due course, but for the time being I guess I fall into the category that the OP is talking about.

What is really funny....for being such a loser all my facebook friends think despite me openly admitting I live a VERY spartan life think I have the life of luxury. I have my time, my travels and a pretty girlfriend. Of my 150 friends there are few, scant few who would not change places with me tomorrow. My sister recently wrote to me..."you look so happy"..

Me and my loser life.

BTW just returned from ten days on Koh Tao with a lovely Thai lady, we have been together for over 1.5 yrs now.

The Loser

Your '150 facebook friends'

Ha ha ha. You was being serious as well.

Edited by hotandhumid

I think the OP has a point about some of the sad sacks you see wandering around Thailand.

It does seem sort of pathetic filling in your days doing nothing, aspiring to nothing and living off the smell of an oily rag.

Tel me abut it!

As this thread is fast becoming a pissing contest/flame war (which it may have been intended to be in the first place), I am thinking about issuing a variety of warnings and closing it. I would recommend, if there are any posters who really want to discuss this issue further, taking the tone down a notch.

Just existing? That would be me. The thing about existing is that I exist exactly how I choose to exist. Mostly I exist in our house in Loei but on occasion, I stay for a week or two in my Jomtien condo. I am content upcountry but once in a while I like to visit with old friends and enjoy a change of scenery.

This is what I worked for all my life and I enjoy life to the fullest without having to impress anyone. I do get irritated once in a while when my wife throws away my favorite raggedy "T" shirts and sometimes she even throws away some of my favorite shorts. I can't remember the last time I wore long pants or shoes.

weird , Most people in Thailand (Thais), Want to exit the Country and live else where and most people who are not Thai want to live there, Funny World init,:rolleyes:

... and you know that how?

Tel me abut it!

So I should just commit suicide ?

weird , Most people in Thailand (Thais), Want to exit the Country and live else where and most people who are not Thai want to live there, Funny World init,:rolleyes:

... and you know that how?

555 !!!

Most of my Thai friends have been educated and/or have business investments abroad...

None of them are dreaming to spend, nowadays, more than a few weeks away from their native country! B)

I think you're conflating those well worn barstool stereotypes . . . "Thais will do anything for money and Filipinas will do anything for papers (to get the hell out of there)"

Not that those stereotypes don't have some kernel(s) of truth; I was talking to one of my local food vendors and she was saying that she'd love to go and live in America again . . . to make some money.

Thailand is nothing like as rough as the Philippines (so I'm told). As many on TV seem to have discovered, Thailand is actually quite fun to be in if you're not dirt poor, wherever you're from.

Edited by Trembly

I've had some fantastic times when I have been absolutely penniless in the past. You get a real sense of camaraderie and a kind of keen gallows humour when having to share lao kao in a bare apartment with others that are in the same boat. It's no fun when rent day comes about though.

I've had some fantastic times when I have been absolutely penniless in the past. You get a real sense of camaraderie and a kind of keen gallows humour when having to share lao kao in a bare apartment with others that are in the same boat. It's no fun when rent day comes about though.

Same here. Its more to do with what you're doing and who you're doing it with. Lack of social security notwithstanding, I can think of far grimmer places to be scraping it than Thailand.

I have no problem admitting I am rather an economic refugee in Thailand. Years ago, my lucrative employment options totally dried up in the US, yet I still had resources and assets to sell that have afforded me a rather pleasant "existence" in Thailand that would be impossible in the US. Staying in the US would have meant working at a massively lower level and income than I was used to, assuming I COULD even secure such humiliating employment (which based on my contacts in the US, I couldn't in this market). I may have even been headed for homelessness there, and for me, that would mean death (I am used to comfort). Sure, I would love to have scads more money and yes I would totally enjoy life MORE here, no doubt. But for me it feels the choices I have made are very rational. Of course we are all different so these things are always personal.

Of course, I am living way above the broke arsed farang stereotype. I am very comfortable and live well by majority Thai standards. If I was at the point where I had to live in a hot windowless room and could only afford instant noodles and street food, etc., I would then reconsider my options and would probably leave. But I don't judge those that wouldn't. That might STILL be their personal best option compared to the alternatives available to them personally.

Edited by Jingthing

Tel me abut it!

So I should just commit suicide ?

Some people actually do it. :(