Moving To Chiang Mai..Help Plse!..Buy A House ?

mikey88

Hi..I would be very appreciative of the advice of any thaivisa memebers who have moved to Chaing Mai and have either bought a house or rented or leased one long Term.

I am 57 and retired. I have been looking at web sites that appear to offer house for sale in the 2million to 3 million bracket. I don't understand what happens with the lease of land with these houses and can't get a straight answer from the web site. They say they have chanote title ...so if a Thai bought this house for 2 million then he would own it outright. If I buy it ....do they expect the 2million and then a monthly or annual lease fee as well?

I understand the problems with the 30 plus 30 etc leases.

I will be happy with a 30 year lease...that would make me 87 and that's enough for me....but I wonder if this is the smart way to go?

I have thought about just renting as many have suggested but its the idea of long term stability to plant a garden or to buy a housefull of furniture or decorate etc is what I really want.

If I could get a 5 year commitment or longer I would consider renting but is that even possible.

Do I have to buy to get that stability of being able to make a home ?? And if I do...what advice could those with the experience offer me.

I am very grateful in advance of any assistance...Look foreward to hearing from you.

Mike

A great number of us members would reccomend that you rent before you buy.

It will give you a chance to see if its really for you.

You don't mention if you are married to a Thai partner or in a long term relationship , becasue as I am sure you are aware that to buy outright you can't buy a house in your own name, but you can buy a condo.

Good luck, other members will add an awful lot more to this thread

Welcome to CM :)

Yes, best thing is to come here and rent shorter term to suss out the place, see if you like it etc. Things might look good on the web, but you really need to look at the place and see how close it is to the ammenities, friends etc. that you like. Give it at least a year, so that you feel settled and you'll be able to make a much better decision.

Are you sure that Chiang Mai is the community you want to make a 30 year commitment to.

As stated earlier rent for a year. It will give you time to make that decision and if you decide to stay you will have the time to find the best locality for your needs.

Chiang Mai is a wonderful city and a great place for retirement for myself and many others.

Yes, rent before you buy please. When I rented a 4 bedroom house for 8000 a month near to Airport Plaza I just drove around until I saw an area I liked, then just ask somebody "is there anywhere for rent", most people will know because if they introduce you to the owner they will get maybe 2000 baht for their trouble.

I recently bought (for my Thai girlfriend) a new two bedroom bungalow on the outskirts of Hang Dong, the standard of finish is very high but it is basic, like no kitchen or hot water, but that is standard in cheaper property. It cost me 700,000 cash. My electricity consumption is below 90 units a month so there is no electricity charge, we recycle/ burn our rubbish so there is no Moo Ban fees, the water comes from a well and we pay a proportion of the pump electricity charge, about 80 baht a month.

3BB put in a telephone line from the main road, about 100 meter away, for free, the internet costs about 650 a month, we have satellite TV for about 1500 a month, and we have 4 cats come from Buddha and one dog who adopted us...............

Welcome to Thailand

post-53631-0-38422900-1311220656_thumb.j

post-53631-0-95301600-1311220719_thumb.j

"I have been looking at web sites that appear to offer house for sale in the 2million to 3 million bracket. I don't understand what happens with the lease of land with these houses and can't get a straight answer from the web site. They say they have chanote title ...so if a Thai bought this house for 2 million then he would own it outright. If I buy it ....do they expect the 2million and then a monthly or annual lease fee as well?

I have thought about just renting as many have suggested but its the idea of long term stability to plant a garden or to buy a housefull of furniture or decorate etc is what I really want."

OP, don't believe the websites that say you can buy in Thailand. YOU ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT. You can however purchase a condominium.

You can rent a nice place and still purchase furniture, build a garden, and anything else you need to do to make your heart feel at home. Many people do. I rent and own furniture and I built a beautiful garden. If I was forced to move I would just take my furniture and garden furniture to the next place and dismantle and move as much of the garden as I possibly could. What ever I left behind I would replace. Bricks, paving stones, etc. are very cheap.

:shock1: :shock1: Mon Dieu, quelle horreur!!

From the above post "recycle/burn our rubbish"

Please tell me that was a slip on the keyboard!

Well either that or throw it out of the truck when nobody is looking :o

OK I don't think I'll sleep well tonight, I'll be seeing that guy in the avatar chucking large quantities of trash everywhere.

I have a question.

If a foreigner cannot own land in their own name, but their Thai partner can. What happens if the Thai partner pre-deceases their foreign partner?

As I understand it, you must sell the house I think you get six months.

I have a question.

If a foreigner cannot own land in their own name, but their Thai partner can. What happens if the Thai partner pre-deceases their foreign partner?

As I understand it, you must sell the house I think you get six months.

Well that certainly sounds fair - NOT.

I have a question.

Don't worry as that almost never happens. Usually the foreign partner pre-deceases the Thai partner. It's part of the culture.

The OP certainly has a legitimate question -- and one I've puzzled over, although being married to a Thai, it was a question that didn't hit home.

In my situation, the answer to the following is more fitting:

A Will. In my example, the wife's Will says something to the affect: 'If Thai law has changed upon my death, I bequeath my land to my husband. If not, the husband can sell the land [i've got a year], and pocket the proceeds. Or select niece A, B, or C to take title to the land.'

In the latter situation, since my lease with my wife (or a partner, in other situations) keeps me in the house, and on the land, for the remainder of the 30 years, I'm good-to-go. The niece, because of the lease registered on the back of the chanote, cannot evict me. And, if I were younger, I'd probably convert to a usufruct (no 30 year limitation).

Owning land from a stranger -- or at least someone with no real interest in your welfare? Well, again, this would (or should) be legally affixed to the back of the chanote. So, even if the land development company, or whomever, sells the land -- you can't be evicted. Period. I guess this is what farangs without Thai partners hang their hats on.....(?).

A rental, up front, before your household items arrive, could be ok to scout for the place you really want to long-term settle in (or build). But, if you're completely sold on settling here, I really think a rental just doesn't give you the flexibility to do your thing. Or if it did -- having your lease cancelled right after open-heart surgery could screw up your whole week....

Several things to ponder. Hopefully, those without Thai partners, and who own homes, not condos, will jump-in for better info..

I have a question.

the ownership transfers to their heirs including your lease if you recorded it at the amphur

one other thing ,yes you can buy anything as long as you pay for it ,you just cannot own it.

very easy though to find somebody who will own it for you, if it helps- my wife will do it for you.seriously.

The OP certainly has a legitimate question -- and one I've puzzled over, although being married to a Thai, it was a question that didn't hit home.

In my situation, the answer to the following is more fitting:

A Will. In my example, the wife's Will says something to the affect: 'If Thai law has changed upon my death, I bequeath my land to my husband. If not, the husband can sell the land [i've got a year], and pocket the proceeds. Or select niece A, B, or C to take title to the land.'

In the latter situation, since my lease with my wife (or a partner, in other situations) keeps me in the house, and on the land, for the remainder of the 30 years, I'm good-to-go. The niece, because of the lease registered on the back of the chanote, cannot evict me. And, if I were younger, I'd probably convert to a usufruct (no 30 year limitation).

Owning land from a stranger -- or at least someone with no real interest in your welfare? Well, again, this would (or should) be legally affixed to the back of the chanote. So, even if the land development company, or whomever, sells the land -- you can't be evicted. Period. I guess this is what farangs without Thai partners hang their hats on.....(?).

A rental, up front, before your household items arrive, could be ok to scout for the place you really want to long-term settle in (or build). But, if you're completely sold on settling here, I really think a rental just doesn't give you the flexibility to do your thing. Or if it did -- having your lease cancelled right after open-heart surgery could screw up your whole week....

Several things to ponder. Hopefully, those without Thai partners, and who own homes, not condos, will jump-in for better info..

Thanks for the info. However I think the only thing to ponder is rent DON'T buy and don't invest in Thailand past your next meal.

A house to fit your needs rent 4000-1000bht a month

Just rent, else you money will be stolen.

Furniture is cheap!

Anything advertised on internet 2x to 5x the local cost.

Bad neighbors can appear and make purchased house worthless.

Edited by OlafStapleton

I have a question.

the ownership transfers to their heirs including your lease if you recorded it at the amphur

one other thing ,yes you can buy anything as long as you pay for it ,you just cannot own it.

very easy though to find somebody who will own it for you, if it helps- my wife will do it for you.seriously.

:lol::cheesy: