Thailand's Irresistible Attraction For Fugitives

webfact

Thailand's Irresistible Attraction for Fugitives

By THOMAS FULLER

BANGKOK — Give me your drug dealers, your money launderers, your felons on the lam yearning to breathe free. ...

Thailand has never advertised itself as a beacon for fugitives, but the world’s wretched refuse — to tweak the noble words inscribed on the Statue of Liberty — seem to show up here in droves.

Millions of tourists, most of them presumably without criminal records, travel to Thailand every year, drawn by the good food, lively night life and crystal waters. Fugitives come for the same reasons — plus the prospect, for some, of outliving a statute of limitations.

“Thailand has traditionally been [more...]

Read the full story: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/21/world/asia/21iht-thailand21.html?_r=1

-- The New York Times 2011-07-21

footer_n.gif

Not a lot new in that article....Its more what people do while they are here which is more of a concern to me..Reason trip to Pattaya saw a forigner come into the bar red cap and laden with gold chains asked a girl who he was and was told he was bringing the Ya Baa in.He came in then went...Now come on I could see he was up to no good...Soi 6...

Then perhaps it is time for the USA to have a control when people board an airplane in the USA so their criminals stay there.

Too bad Thailand's #1 fugitive doesn't feel like he can come back. Kinda ironic.

If I were on the run, or a criminal type looking for a place to buy my way into society, Thailand would be at the top of my list. Lots of sunshine, easy access to chicks, easy access to government officials via payola and lots of other types just like me to associate with. Paradise!

TheWalkingMan

• Haha 1

Then perhaps it is time for the USA to have a control when people board an airplane in the USA so their criminals stay there.

Most are not actually convicted criminals when they leave.

Some are called flight risks and put on watch lists to prevent exit.

Most are not, and some scamper off.

Too bad Thailand's #1 fugitive doesn't feel like he can come back. Kinda ironic.

:cheesy:

You think the article in the NYT might be out of his PR machine?

And then we might see a 1% reduction in the criminals entering Thailand...

By your 'English(!)', I can see that you are not American. Is your home country free of criminals? Or do you just take a free swing at the US whenever you see a cheap opportunity?

So typical...

• Like 1

I wonder why? Although it used to be that if you married a Brazillian lady and had a child you could not be extradited but if they caught you before the lady gave birth you could. Lovely beaches and that Carnival thing. If i were a criminal that's where i'd go.ph34r.gif

Really good to know if I want to stay away from criminal elements, then I just need to avoid Americans and only mix with the pristine characters from Europe, England and Australia.

All seem to have a little too large a percentage of American bashers among'st them. I had always put it down to emotional insecurities but now I know better.

In case anyone cares, I was born and raised in Australia. At age 20 I moved to the US. I moved here at age 60.

I would never try to defend some of the elite powers that run the US, but the ordinary people are at least as good as any in the world. Many seem to have a tough time grasping this concept.

• Like 1

I am tired of 'new' stories like this. Even the most casual perusal of crime stats will show that 90% plus of crime is white collar crime, not blue collar crime, which always gets the newspaper headlines. It is the accountants, lawyers, bank managers, CEOs, who do most of the stealing. As for drugs and such, keep in mind Merck and Viox.

• Like 1

The USA is not any better than Thailand in this regard. There is not enough space on the internet to talk about the unethical and criminal things that happen in the USA. I hate when journalist have nothing to write about and make up stupid stories like this. True or not, I can easily make up the same story about the United States.

Freedom of speech is over-rated.

"Birds of a feather flock together". When you consider the enforcement of local laws by those in charge of enforcement, why would it be surprising to hear that Thailand is a home for many, wanted fugitives. When you cannot control those, in house/home bred criminal elements, what would you expect?

Thailand advertises for tourist money, and it would seem they have pulled those who use to find safe haven, in south America and other like haunts of similar reputation. Its not a group that I find in the local expat, hangouts in CM, so I have little to zero personal knowledge of this social group.

It's a tough issue to deal with on many levels. From a psychological perspective, nearly all people have the capacity for criminal activity. Much has to do with immediate environment.

People in general and Thais in particular have a tough time discerning decent character from criminal character, even after getting to know someone. In other words, theyre easily duped by smiles and appearances of money.

Another side of the issue: Some of the biggest criminals are white collar workers and execs who are more or less doing their jobs. There was nearly a run on the banks in the US 3 years ago. Much of that scenario was developed by Goldman Sachs and other similar high echelon paper pushers, at Wall St. and in Wash DC and London. Some of the same players, who very nearly pushed the US (and the world) in to an economic depression are still at their top paying jobs and/or directing monetary policy in DC and London. They're among the biggest criminals out there.

• Like 1

No country's perfect. Every country has its criminal elements. In every large metropolitan area in every country there are places you go to and places you don't go to. This holds true for cities in Thailand, the USA, or any other country in the world.

In every country the vast majority of the population are honest people just out to live and to make ends meet in an honest fashion.

• Like 1

as thailand is proud to be corrupted (see poll on TV), it's indeed inviting people with bad intention to come here and just use the corrupt ways of bribing the right people to live a good life as a (ex) criminal ?

Until something is done concerning the corrupt(criminal)THAI'S who make this possible NOTHING will ever change.

Same old non story that's pumped out every Aug/sept (early due to new Gov this year) before the annual immigration clampdown

Thailand is and always will be a Joke in the Real World

I thought Thailand had problems. Then I watched this documentary:

google: topdocumentaryfilms

the chessboard killer

Its about a guy in Moscow in 2005 who decided to murder 64 people to break the serial killer record. On about the 30th victim, one escaped to tell the story. BUT THE POLICE WEREN'T INTERESTED ENOUGH TO CHECK IT OUT! So he then started leaving his next five or so victim's bodies scattered around the Moscow park. The Press then featured the problem-- and only then! the police hauled in the killer.

Edited by regfrancis

If I were on the run, or a criminal type looking for a place to buy my way into society, Thailand would be at the top of my list. Lots of sunshine, easy access to chicks, easy access to government officials via payola and lots of other types just like me to associate with. Paradise!

TheWalkingMan

exactly, if I was on the run, I would be here. So easy to be an anonymous white guy, pay rent and live somewhere. If you want to keep a low profile, I think you can stay undetected for years, maybe indefinitely. And have fun at it too

"Birds of a feather flock together". When you consider the enforcement of local laws by those in charge of enforcement, why would it be surprising to hear that Thailand is a home for many, wanted fugitives. When you cannot control those, in house/home bred criminal elements, what would you expect?

Thailand advertises for tourist money, and it would seem they have pulled those who use to find safe haven, in south America and other like haunts of similar reputation. Its not a group that I find in the local expat, hangouts in CM, so I have little to zero personal knowledge of this social group.

That is also my experience of CM, be hard to find a nicer bunch of expats, at least in the places I frequent.

TheWalkingMan

Ring, Ring

FBI, "Hello Mt BIB? FBI here do you have a Bill Smith over there?

BIB, "Moment sir I check. Mr Bill how much Baht you have?

Bill, "30,000, BIB

BIB, OK, Hello Mr FBI? So sorry he go to Cambodia. Maybe he come back next month, call back then. Bye.