Best Sg2 After Market Rom

luudee

Hi Guys.

I am confused.

I would really like to update my SG2 (AIS) to a newer firmware so as to take advantage of the enhanced battery life, and the ability to use Google chat voice / video features. I was considering a custom ROM, but some issues such as stability and the lack functionality (HD video and GPS support have been specifically mentioned) as well as access to Samsung Apps is putting me off this route.

(I am aware there is away to update Google Talk now my phone is rooted).

Would I be better installing stock SG2 the firmware from another region?

If so which region would you recommend, or should I just dio nothing and hope that Samsung will update the original firmware.

My main criteria are

1. stability
  2. Enhanced battery life
  3. No loss of functionality or reliability
  4. advantage of improvement offered in 2.3.5
  5. Retain Thai Language support

Are you experiencing poor battery performance that is truly limiting your use of the phone?

What exactly are you trying to do re: audio/video chatting? Specifically, which applications/environments are the called party running? I think you can side-load talk2.apk to enable audio and video chatting?

Edited by lomatopo

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys.

I am confused.

I would really like to update my SG2 (AIS) to a newer firmware so as to take advantage of the enhanced battery life, and the ability to use Google chat voice / video features. I was considering a custom ROM, but some issues such as stability and the lack functionality (HD video and GPS support have been specifically mentioned) as well as access to Samsung Apps is putting me off this route.

(I am aware there is away to update Google Talk now my phone is rooted).

Would I be better installing stock SG2 the firmware from another region?

If so which region would you recommend, or should I just dio nothing and hope that Samsung will update the original firmware.

My main criteria are

1. stability
  2. Enhanced battery life
  3. No loss of functionality or reliability
  4. advantage of improvement offered in 2.3.5
  5. Retain Thai Language support

Are you experiencing poor battery performance that is truly limiting your use of the phone?

What exactly are you trying to do re: audio/video chatting? Specifically, which applications/environments are the called party running? I think you can side-load talk2.apk to enable audio and video chatting?

Currently I find my battery has trouble lasting a full work day. I work outside Thialnd so rely mostly on Skype / oogle to stay in contact with family

Mostly it is used for emails, Skype, and with my previous Galaxy S Google talk. Actual time spent on normal phone calls is limited. Other applications I use are mostly ebooks and very occasionally web browsing. I found the battery life on the Galaxy S to be much better.

I am aware that now the phone is rooted I can update Goggle talk.

FWIW, there is a 2,000 mAh battery, and new back cover, available for the SGS2.

You might look at what exactly is consuming your battery, there are some apps. in the Market which can do this, and even make sure you're turning off GPS, 3G and/or WiFi when not needed. You may be able to ratchet down the CPU as well. The allure of a new, latest, custom ROM is sometimes not the best solution.

Really? are you trying to plug a usb device in your phone or just trying to connect it to the computer?

I keep going back to lightning 6.1. Every time I flash a new rom, usb drive does not work. All is checked in development menu. Strange. I did flash cristalrom the other day and it was great.

When enabling usb (connect to computer), nothing comes up, with the newer roms. So I keep going back to light 6.1. Very frustrating.

Really? are you trying to plug a usb device in your phone or just trying to connect it to the computer?

I keep going back to lightning 6.1. Every time I flash a new rom, usb drive does not work. All is checked in development menu. Strange. I did flash cristalrom the other day and it was great.

When enabling usb (connect to computer), nothing comes up, with the newer roms. So I keep going back to light 6.1. Very frustrating.

Android USB drivers can be very challenging; they tend to be specific to the manufacturer or phone model.

You'll have to find known good, working USB drivers for the custom ROM (look in the XDA thread, the issue will have come up already), then make sure to de-install the current USB Drivers, the install the new ones, re-booting after each action. Additionally try different USB ports. On my notebook I have four, of which only one works (for Android/USB connectivity) reliably. On my desktop there are ~ six USB ports and only two work reliably. Finally make sure the cable is sound; I have some which work fine in other applications but do not work with Android/USB connectivity.

I think this must be a widows problem because i have flashed many roms and never encounter this problem on linux and OSX.

Android USB drivers can be very challenging; they tend to be specific to the manufacturer or phone model.

You'll have to find known good, working USB drivers for the custom ROM (look in the XDA thread, the issue will have come up already), then make sure to de-install the current USB Drivers, the install the new ones, re-booting after each action. Additionally try different USB ports. On my notebook I have four, of which only one works (for Android/USB connectivity) reliably. On my desktop there are ~ six USB ports and only two work reliably. Finally make sure the cable is sound; I have some which work fine in other applications but do not work with Android/USB connectivity.

• 1 month later...

What is every one using these days? Got bored waiting for ICS so i started flashing new roms again. Currently using Illusion-xT v1.7.2 XWKL1 with modem XXLP1 and with the Phenomenal 2.2 Black extreme kernel. So far so good. One thing I can say after not using a Samsung based rom in while is they have definitely improved, the sound quality,battery life, and stock browser beats any CM build to date except for MIUI's browser which I really found amazing.

the latest turbkey rom i flashed is excellent ,also the chriskelo rom is super fast and smooth and miui is beautiful but the battery is not as good as some others but it updates itself OTA every friday which is a great feature for bug fixes and minor updates and even new releases

checkrom as well is woth trying and loads of people are using it , and theres a new one with sony bravia engine on XDA now but i dont have time to try them all ........yet :D

• 2 weeks later...

ROM: [sGS2] GT19100 DarkyROM XXKI3

Baseband: XXKH3

Firmware: XXKI3

Kernel: Siyah v2.6.12

-This is my rig, 3G is downloading at 5Mb (day) and 9Mb (night)

-using GOLauncher with ink blot theme

-2nd Core app (Able to toggle your cpu to using single , dual or dynamic to save battery and run games that are not compatible with dual processors)

- DarkyOst to flash roms (Must have a rooted phone and have busybox installed)

- No-Frills CPU Control to overclock or underclock CPU (Use at your own discretion)

- Custom Boot animation and Sound

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to make the jump to ICS and im glad I did, only issue so far was having to manually input my own APN. Heres the ROM

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1488063

What functionality do you get with this ROM vs. what you had before?

What doesn't work? In reading through the linked thread it seems like a lot of people have minor issues with various things not working.

I see it is based on a Samsung leak so that means it should be able to utilize all the SGS2 HW and feature set.

Edited by lomatopo

No major problems yet, other than MTP not working, but not a huge problem as i keep media on a sd card. A few framework fc's nothing major. If you feel like tinkering with ICS its definitely stable enough for a daily driver. Battery and signal are a definite improvement, maintaing -68 dbm inside, phone even stays connected in elevators, my battery is at %58 at 14 hours 32 min with 2 gmails, whatsapp, viber, all syncing over 3g, 1 hour 30 of screen time on full dim, 45 mins of bluetooth audio. Face unlock is pretty cool as well.

I tried most of the ROMs and kernels.

I've been using revolution HD ROM and darknight kernel for a few months now on my SGS2 and it's really fast, stable and smooth.

I have no issues and everything works well!

Battery life is typically 3 days unless I spend a day on GPS and track software (on my bike trips), then it only lasts for 1.5 days...

The team is professional and updates are regular.

Great ROM!

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Still on turkbey 3.7. There are a couple of ICS stuff out there. I believe cyanogen v9 is ICS based, but I have not gone to their forums to investigate.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/03/02/download-cyanogenmod-9-nightlies-come-to-samsung-galaxy-tab-10-1-wi-fi-io-edition-t-mo-galaxy-s-ii-asus-transformers-original-tf101-prime-tf201/

• 2 weeks later...

I am using Turkbey v1 ICS with the new LPQ modem. Using it for 2 days now and it seems to work very well. Phone is also faster. Tons of these ICS roms on XDA. If you are not adventurous, then you will have to wait for the official, full of bloated sofware version from Samsung.

any news of an official ICS 4.03 in thai yet ?

i read somewhere ,it was being realeased on the 14th of march

It looks like updates started on March 12, via KiES for select countries. Not sure when it will be available for your phone. Suggest you update to the latest version of KiES on your PC, and make sure you have enough room on your phone for the update, and back everything up. Maybe best to let others blaze the path unless you are "adventurous"? ;)

Is there a particular feature in ICS you require?

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/13/2867950/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-android-4-0-video

any news of an official ICS 4.03 in thai yet ?

i read somewhere ,it was being realeased on the 14th of march

It looks like updates started on March 12, via KiES for select countries. Not sure when it will be available for your phone. Suggest you update to the latest version of KiES on your PC, and make sure you have enough room on your phone for the update, and back everything up. Maybe best to let others blaze the path unless you are "adventurous"? wink.png

Is there a particular feature in ICS you require?

http://www.theverge....droid-4-0-video

im already "adventureous " ( my galaxy s2 was rooted and flashed on the first day )

im just bored flashing roms that turn out to be "lacking" some important feature etc

i have flashed non stop in first months but it gets tiresome downloading the missing apps

and applying their settings because for me the full back up never gets every app and setting

i settled on turkbey v31 for the last 2-3 months ,im sure there is much more advanced roms

been developed by now since the game moves so fast ......i can wait for a stock ics 4.03 but im

sure there will be something even cooler than out soon if it isnt already :)

I was using Lite'ning rom 7.1 for a while but got bored with it. It also didn't seem to be updated.. So the other night I installed Cyanogenmod 9. Seemed ok, but restoring my old apps seemed to fritz things up and less than an hour after installing it, it was gone... I found the official ICS stock rom. So now, I've (probably temporarily) abandoned 3rd party roms and gone back to touchwiz etc. I have to say, I quite like it. It's quite slick and seems stable. And the only problem I had (when installing an app, it wouldn't let it write to the SD) was resolved with a kernel patch.

I do like using face recognition to unlock. And I also like the way the pages wrap, so if I'm on 7 of the android interface, 1 scroll to the right and I'm back on 1.

Been using cm9 for a while and its still not up to par with the Samsung builds, but Samsung released the ics source code yesterday so we should see alot improvements all around.

I was using Lite'ning rom 7.1 for a while but got bored with it. It also didn't seem to be updated.. So the other night I installed Cyanogenmod 9. Seemed ok, but restoring my old apps seemed to fritz things up and less than an hour after installing it, it was gone... I found the official ICS stock rom. So now, I've (probably temporarily) abandoned 3rd party roms and gone back to touchwiz etc. I have to say, I quite like it. It's quite slick and seems stable. And the only problem I had (when installing an app, it wouldn't let it write to the SD) was resolved with a kernel patch.

I do like using face recognition to unlock. And I also like the way the pages wrap, so if I'm on 7 of the android interface, 1 scroll to the right and I'm back on 1.

Fwiw, Litening 2.1 based on LPQ 4.0.3 has been released. I used the latest Gingerbread Litening and liked it a lot, never bothered with any of the pre-release ICS releases. Now that Litening's done one I'll probably give it a shot...

the lpq modem gave me alot of trouble on True, now using the DXLP7 modem from the latest release and it works much better

Fwiw, Litening 2.1 based on LPQ 4.0.3 has been released. I used the latest Gingerbread Litening and liked it a lot, never bothered with any of the pre-release ICS releases. Now that Litening's done one I'll probably give it a shot...

The problem with Litening is that he disappeared for MONTHS and never responded to user pm or emails. Then he shows up with the ICS version. I used his 6.1 rom for months and it was stable, but the disappearing act turned me away from his ICS rom.

Still on turkbey v1 lpq. Will burn another rom today, probably criskelo with the new lp7 and see wassup.

So what ICS roms have been trie here in thailand and how do they perform? I'm sttill running a rooted GB rom and have no issues but I have started thinking maybe it's time to look into ICS.

Jayman, if you have the sg2, wait a bit longer. Samsung just released the ics rom to developers, so rather than using a leaked version, this new one should be stable once the 12 year olds get their hands on them. licklips.gif

The new lp7 modem is out, as well. I say a day or two more for the actual Sammy released rom to be "completed". I am still on the turkbey lpq ICS 4.0.3 and it works well, but no jkay mod.

• Like 1

Biggest problem I have is i use my sg2 for internet access (wifi hotspot). So if I download any of them and it goes tits-up, I've cut myself off from being able to download a solution... I see above that the LP7 modem seems to be less trouble than LPQ. Tell me, did they fix the "signal strength" bug where it always showed -85dBi? I heard the pre-release ICS's still had that bug...