To Our Norwegian Members & Friends

cdnvic

On behalf of Thaivisa.com, our staff, and I'm sure, all our members, I extend our sincere condolences for the losses you have faced this past day. While there is nothing that can fill the gap left by the loss of so many young lives, I hope that you will find some comfort in the friendship and goodwill from the rest of us as we share in your grief. Our thoughts are with you at this time.

Thaivisa.com

:jap:

To put it into perspective, almost two times as many dead on a per capita population basis as 9/11. Tragic.

Please.

Don't do that.

I know what you mean, I was only pointing out what a tiny population Norway has. About half the size of NYC.

edit : OTOH we read about something like this everyday almost from Baghdad.

Edited by lannarebirth

...I was only pointing out what a tiny population Norway has. About half the size of NYC.

No, that's not what you were doing. There would be many other ways to do that but why would anyone want to? If it happened in China would it be less horrible and tragic? Do the families of 80+ victims (or circa 3,000) mean less or more depending on how many people live in thier country?

edit : OTOH we read about something like this everyday almost from Baghdad.

Q.E.D.

Condolences and support. Without qualifications or politicization. (Why don't we leave it at that for now --and always, on this one thread).

I grew up in Oslo, people are still in shock and my friends living there still cant believe that this tragedy happened in one of the most peaceful places on earth.

Norway will never be the same again after this, the innocense have been lost.

I think next time I visit Norway the security will be much more stricter. Not a good thing but its necessary , no terrorist attacks will destroy a modern democracy.

Our nation is too strong for that.

Edited by balo

My condolences, too, as I have several near and dear Norwegian friends, one of whom was personally familiar with the site of both disasters from past work done there. He pointed out to me that there were no strong precautions towards risks of these events in place because no one could have even imagined that anyone would do such things. Once societal taboos like this have been broken, it's hard to put the genie back in the bottle.

To put it into perspective, almost two times as many dead on a per capita population basis as 9/11. Tragic.

Please.

Don't do that.

Thank you. It is particularly uncomfortable and upsetting knowing that so many young people were targeted. I think it is best if no side roads, tangents are taken in this thread.

The trip down conspiracy and attribution lane is best taken at a later date. As pointed out Norway is a small nation and as it is highly likely that some of these victims, first responders etc. will be related or known to a few readers.

For the last days I've just been staring at the TV and hardly being able to formulate any words or believe what I'm seeing..

Fortunately I was working from home on friday due to heavy rain, but usually I would have been in the VG-building hit by the blast or walking home from work through the area hit by the bomb around that time. My apartment building about a 20 minute walk from the bomb area was swaying from side to side and we could hear a big blast.. There are some constructions nearby so first thought it was some sort of accident there, but got a report shortly thereafter saying it was an explosion in the government area. Was just stunned.. No one from work was hurt fortunately.

And then hearing about the insane shootings at Utøya. I'm at loss of words. 7 people killed in the bomb blast and 85 people killed in the shootings so far and last I heard 4-5 people are still missing.