Bangkok Belly

Stan42

Based on the hundred or so similar threads here over the years there really is no average. I think it depends on your eating habits. But if I had to SWAG it, I think most people, Thai and foreign, who eat in public food outlets get some sort of minor irritation (say a 4 hour diarrhea episode) once in every 50 meals.

And stay away from those tinned bamboo shoots. http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/85/3/06-039545/en/

Been here 17 years. Had food poisoning once, where I needed hospital treatment from an American fast food seafood 'restaurant' (which closed down after many such cases) after eating a salmon burger. When I returned to complain the staff thought it very funny until I handed over the 2,000 baht hospital bill, after which the manager came out and offered the Thai version of an apology.

For some reason I can't eat cup noodles without getting cramps. In Europe: No problem.

Also, for some reason I get the same when I order at the nearest McDonalds. Other McDonalds:ok, this one seems to be... unhygenic.

Oh, do any of you eat stuff from the streets?

I've never been keen on eating food from anywhere that does not have mains water.

I don't mind paying a little extra for civilisation, but then I am lucky to have more money than sense; others might not be so blessed

SC

I have been eating Thai food from stalls and fast food from McDonald's for over 20 years in Thailand and only got food poisoning once from some sort of Thai egg tart that was in direct sunlight for who knows how long. I have also had mild diarrhea several times, but that is pretty much the same as back home. Personally, I find "Bangkok Belly" to be highly over-exaggerated.

The typical response here seems to be…”I’ve been here X years and have gotten sick one (1) time.”, where X is greater than one but less than 100.

I think it’s safe to say there is a statistical distribution to this and those who have been here 97 years and been sick once are at one end of the distribution?

In my case I suspect I am nearer the center of this distribution? In six years I have had true food poisoning three times. I eat in Mall and open-air Thai restaurants (food courts, markets, some street-based) ~ 10 meals per week, comprising ~ 25 different dishes (some solo, some family-style) for social reasons rather than financial ones; and this is where you find some unique and sublime dishes IME. I experience mild distress once every 45 days (~ 60 meals, 150 dishes). Mild distress is mild diarrhea, lasting less than 4 hours; typically just one ‘encounter’ over in 15 minutes. Given the number of Thai over the counter remedies I’d say this, and the OP’s Doctor’s guesstimate, are ‘average’. I think the typical causes are under-cooked items, especially eggs; less than clean uncooked items, like raw veggies (lettuce); and less than ideally sanitary conditions (prep/service items and worker).

I’ve never gotten sick here from eating meals prepared at home, and never from fast-ish food (MCD/BK/KFC) here.

Back in the U.S. I experienced mild distress maybe twice a year, but then most meals were prepared at home. I don't think I ever got food poisoning before (in the U.S.) but every once in a while you read about significant incidents. From the CDC's website...

To better quantify the impact of foodborne diseases on health in the United States, we compiled and analyzed information from multiple surveillance systems and other sources. We estimate that foodborne diseases cause approximately 76 million illnesses, 325,000 hospitalizations, and 5,000 deaths in the United States each year. Known pathogens account for an estimated 14 million illnesses, 60,000 hospitalizations, and 1,800 deaths. Three pathogens, Salmonella, Listeria, and Toxoplasma, are responsible for 1,500 deaths each year, more than 75% of those caused by known pathogens, while unknown agents account for the remaining 62 million illnesses, 265,000 hospitalizations, and 3,200 deaths. Overall, foodborne diseases appear to cause more illnesses but fewer deaths than previously estimated.