Accessing Internet Protocol (Tcp/Ip) On Win 7

tutsiwarrior

I want to configure my laptop for a new modem/router device and the instructions were written for an XP user that refers to 'my network places' for this purpose. I'm running windows 7 that doesn't have this feature/tag but I know that the same 'internet protocol (TCP/IP) properties' page can be found for configuring new devices but one needs to know where to look. This is the page that has all the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway and etc. info and i've seen an IT tech at the office get into it on my laptop with Win 7.

now I need to and I can't find it and am away from the office and want to get the new device operational for my family to use before I haveta go back to work...

please help...

Type ncpa.cpl in the Start menu search box and press Enter.

thanks...I'm presuming that the cofiguration data page is within the 'network and sharing' department of windows 7, just haveta explore a bit...

I havent connected the box to the laptop yet, could be when I do that and the connection is detected there may be a response with instructions to complete the configuration...

OK...I connected the laptop to the new TP-Link unit with the ethernet cable and have a good ADSL connection and all the required TCP/IP data now appears in 'properties'...when I switch on the wireless and disconnect the ADSL to the laptop there is a connection to the TP-LINK but no internet access...

someone gots to help or collectively thaivisa will let down my adorable stepdaughter and favorite niece who will receive the wireless signal...('mumble grumble, uncle tutsi ain't worth a shit...:(')

OK...I connected the laptop to the new TP-Link unit with the ethernet cable and have a good ADSL connection and all the required TCP/IP data now appears in 'properties'...when I switch on the wireless and disconnect the ADSL to the laptop there is a connection to the TP-LINK but no internet access...

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish here. How many routers do you have? One, two? A wireless access point perhaps? Is this a bridged connection or ...?

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish here. How many routers do you have? One, two? A wireless access point perhaps? Is this a bridged connection or ...?

this is what I got

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TD-W8901G-4-Port-54MBPS-Wireless/dp/B001IBHG0M

and i can get it to work with ADSL and a cable...there is evidence that the laptop has been configured to accept the device per the successful connection to internet with ADSL, probably when detected by Win 7...when I disconnect the cable and switch on the wireless on the laptop it is still connected to the device but not connected to internet...

the device is, I presume, a modem and a wireless router meaning that when a laptop is properly configured it can connect to the internet with a wireless signal alone without a hard wired cable connection to the device...this is evidenced by when on wireless alone the laptop registers a wireless signal from the device but there is no internet connection in actuality and per the graphic in the 'networks and sharing' tag in the control panel...

the device is exactly as pictured in the link...

thanks for your continuing assistance...

Can you access the router setup pages via wireless?

there are no wireless set up pages available that I can see: I presume that the set up was done auto by win 7 when the device signal was detected...

there is status info available:

connection specific DN: mshome.net

description: atheros etc.

physical address: 90-4C-E5-BB-81-99

DHCP enabled: yes

IPv4 address: 192.168.1.101

IPv4 subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

lease obtained: 25 july

lease expires 29 july

IPv4default gateway: 192.168.1.1

IPv4 DHCP server: ditto

IPv4 DNS server: ditto

IPv4 WINS server; (blank)

Net BIOS etc: yes

Link local IPv6 address: fe80::606c:b5b7:b350:6a80%10

IPv6 default gateway: (blank)

IPv6 DNS server: fe80::d5be:2a58:1a9a:28b5%10

whew...

this appears to be a general problem with windows 7, see below

http://forevergeeks.com/how-to-setup-a-wireless-profile-on-windows-7

and the MS advice on the internet isn't much help

well, I give up...I'll just get the girls each a usb dongle and let the TOT or whoever folks hassle with the config...

thanks for your efforts...

this appears to be a general problem with windows 7, see below

http://forevergeeks.com/how-to-setup-a-wireless-profile-on-windows-7

and the MS advice on the internet isn't much help

I've never had to go through any of that...

FWIW, last night I installed Windows 7 on a friend's brand new Lenovo laptop. Entered the shared key for my wireless network and was surfing the web in no time.

Like I said, you need to configure your router.

[PDF] TD-W8901G User Guide

Edited by Supernova

well, I messed with it some more and got into the router web page with 192.168.1.1 and followed the instructions (I seem to have missed that step looking at the owner's manual :() and still no connectivity with the wireless with both cable and wireless enabled...then I disconnected the cable and managed to stay on the internet with only the wireless going; still indicated no wireless connectivity in the network and sharing page with a clear connection shown in the graphic...:blink:

I'll sit down with the girls' laptops today to see what real results I get after the 192.168.1.1 configuration regardless of what the status indication is...

re: owner's manual, TP-Link sure gotta revise this document to include instructions applicable to win 7and readable to folks like me whose only experience with configuring new equipment is to shout at the IT tech at work: ' NO! I DONT WANNA WATCHCHOO SET THE BASTID UP JUST GET THE MOTHER OPERATIONAL GODDAMIT...YER HOLDIN' UP A MILLION DOLLAR OPERATION YE DUMB POS!!

epilogue: got the mother set up and now have a wireless network at home and tutsi remains a god of his own creation within the confines of his domain...the girl's netbooks that I had bought 3 months earlier didn't have an OS installed after I had left instructions for the stepdaughter to get one of her buddies to put in win 7 but they pussed out when they saw that the netbooks didn't have an optical drive so it never happened...went up to the new mall in Suphan town where they got an 'IT Center' and where some young dudes got a repair kiosk and they did the installation for 500bt a pop...not cheap but they were very helpful and included a lot of extra stuff, anti-virus, etc...check it out for those that live in that area: big mall on the west side of the big north south divided road about 1km to the west of hwy340, there's a TOPS supermarket in the basement...

tutsi drowns in a sea of grateful adolescent flesh...:D