A Poll For Men

tomahawk

My friend who is a 65 year old man says he wants to uy a birthday card for another farang guy. I told him I never heard of a man buying birthday card for a man. I suppose if they are gay, but otherwise I never heard of this. My friend says this is common. So I said I will ask forum if people really do this. Also, the other guy, who is Irish, is taking my friend to a restaurant and buying him dinner, even though it is Irish guy's birthday. I should add that my friend is from California, so this maybe explains the whole thing.

I certainly wouldn't do it, but not sure that it proves he is gay. Maybe he is just real sensitive. :unsure:

As a gay totally insensitive Californian, I say NO CARDS!

Cash, gifts, dinners, sexual favors of course, but ... NO CARDS!

I reckon it's a straight thing. A little tightness in the back there, perhaps.

Anyone you don't need to pay Hallmark to tell a friend how you feel. Kind of pathetic, that.

Edited by Jingthing

No, I don't think giving a card is an issue, <deleted>! You don'thave to be gay to give a mate a birthday card, but the fact is I rarely hand out Crimbo or birthday cards, that's because I'm a blocky bloke, and leave it all a bit late, a bit like Christmas shopping………I ended up doing it at a petrol station one year! Really, are you, that Homo phobic that you think he must be gay? However, come to think of it....I don't recall ever handing out a card to a mate.

I think any bloke who starts squealing 'the gay' at anything he thinks other men might judge him on, has one foot in the closet already!

Anyway…It isn't the card; it's what he writes in it that will show his hand, like signing it; 'hugs and kisses…….MR floppy"

Edited by Tonto21

I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. Being nice to a male friend shouldnot been seen as being gay. Since when has showing a buddy you appreciate his friendship by buying him dinner and drinks on his birthday a problem?

I would probably show the card to my other friends and ask why they never gave me one, or at least bought me a drink the cheap as**hol**. Real men donot have issues with things like that.

To my knowledge is is NOT an American thing (at least for non-gay men). Although, I don't see anything wrong with it, I personally have never had an urge to buy another man any kind of card, (except of course Christmas Cards being sent to male relatives).

But to each his own!

RickThai

:lol:

Now those responses are funny.

You can't concieve of two old men, maybe lonely and without that many friends, who have gone through many common experiences in their lives as being anything but Gay simply because they enjoy each other's compamy?

Well, to be fair, maybe you are just too young to understand.

Just take it from me...at 65 Sex is not the burning drive it is when you are 30 or even 40.

Also I think your cutural preconceptions are showing a bit, aren't they?

If I told you the lines of poetry, would you understand them? Well, I'll risk it, anyhow.

The lines are:

"But go not gentle into that good night

"And rage, rage, against the dieing of the light"

Can't remeber what play offhand, but it's a quote from a Shakesperian play. One of the "Henrys", I believe.

You could look it up.

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

all a bit american or gay for my liking blink.gif

Really?

Of all the uncomplementary things I could say about American men--and I do, at least we don't drink through straws and watch footy on the telly while our wifey eats chockies for breaky. :unsure:

Cant see any problem with receiving a card from a man.

Personally, I never received a birth day card from any men, but cant see the problem.

I have received happy birthday txt msgs on the mobile, and also on e-mails, from male friends. I guess that is the electronic version of a card, right?

When I was 30, which is some sort of a milestone if still not married, one of my close friends took me out for drinks, which he paid for.

If I told you the lines of poetry, would you understand them? Well, I'll risk it, anyhow.

The lines are:

"But go not gentle into that good night

"And rage, rage, against the dieing of the light"

Can't remeber what play offhand, but it's a quote from a Shakesperian play. One of the "Henrys", I believe.

If it was from a play it wouldn't be poetry, would it? Anyway, you are about 300 years and a hundred miles off : it's from a poem by Dylan Thomas. (One of my favorites -- though it makes me sad).

Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

No, I don't think giving a card is an issue, <deleted>! You don'thave to be gay to give a mate a birthday card, but the fact is I rarely hand out Crimbo or birthday cards, that's because I'm a blocky bloke, and leave it all a bit late, a bit like Christmas shopping………I ended up doing it at a petrol station one year! Really, are you, that Homo phobic that you think he must be gay? However, come to think of it....I don't recall ever handing out a card to a mate.

I think any bloke who starts squealing 'the gay' at anything he thinks other men might judge him on, has one foot in the closet already!

Anyway…It isn't the card; it's what he writes in it that will show his hand, like signing it; 'hugs and kisses…….MR floppy"

It's when it says "hugs and kisses…….MR Stiffy" that you need to start worrying.

I don't see this as a sexual orientation sort of thing, but the answer is NO you don't buy b-day cards for your guy friends. You kidding me? Are you going to get him a card every year? How about your other guy friends? Take him out, get him sh*t-faced drunk, get him shagged, whatever. But not a card. You don't want the guy to feel guilty, like maybe when it's your birthday, he might feel obligated to get you a card. A man doesn't need to deal with that sort of stress from his guy friends!

Thank you for reply. Funny thing is I asked this question in other forum which is British and every single one said they send cards to mail friends, so so much for this being American thing. However, I do feel tonto and trembly should get together. Send cards, maybe some flowers. This is not first time true love was found on internet.