Chinese Furniture

Thaicoon

Is there anywhere in Bangkok i can purchase Chinese Lacquer Furniture, like cabinets etc, they sometimes have mother of pearl inlays etc, interested in a Herbalists cabinet, room divider, a nice chinese screen, etc, been to chinatown only thing i could find there were those amazing grandfather clocks with a german movement and really nice mother of pearl inlays, bought one for 16,000 baht, any websites i can look at in thailand..

Thanks guys........

Antiques, repros or new?

Antiques are real at the River City complex, I have heard. They do have a website but it doesn't tell you much.

River city antique auction

But this search came up with alot of websites:Thai antiques websites

Thanks SBK,

found a couple of sites, but no lacquer ware, you would of thought you would of been able to get this in Chinatown, nobody does it, maybe i am not looking in the right places, i have bought a 49 Drawer chinese herbalist cabinet in the UK today, bought it trade cost us 199.00 GBP, which is a bargain, and it is old, i am sending a container to Thailand maybe next year when my wife and i go back, so i will send this.

There are quite a few shops in Oriental Hotel arcade as well as a shop in Gaysorn Plaza (with flyover access from BTS Chidlom station) at southwest corner of third floor that sells antique Chinese furnitures that I believe fits your description. I like the furnitures at latter place very much but they are all very pricey at both locations that it's not easy finding anything for less than 100K Baht especially at a store in Gaysorn.

I've seen chinese herbalist cabinet at both locations but perhaps not a room devider/screen at a store in Gaysorn.

Edited by Nordlys

There is a store in the Mall Nom wong wang In nonthaburi that sells the laquer furniture, nice veriety too. I believe its on the 4t floor with all the other furniture stores.

Its in a non farang area of bangkok so you wont pay overly inflated prices :o

Greg

Edited by griser

There is a store in the Mall Nom wong wang In nonthaburi that sells the laquer furniture, nice veriety too. I believe its on the 4t floor with all the other furniture stores.

Its in a non farang area of bangkok so you wont pay overly inflated prices  :o

Greg

Cheers greg, next time i am in Bangkok i will check it out, much apreciated.

• 1 year later...
Is there anywhere in Bangkok i can purchase Chinese Lacquer Furniture, like cabinets etc, they sometimes have mother of pearl inlays etc, interested in a Herbalists cabinet, room divider, a nice chinese screen, etc, been to chinatown only thing i could find there were those amazing grandfather clocks with a german movement and really nice mother of pearl inlays, bought one for 16,000 baht, any websites i can look at in thailand..

Thanks guys........

We are a lacquer ware Company in xi’an city of China that specializes in making Chinese traditional lacquer ware handicrafts. Our products includes seat screen ,hanging screen, table and chair ,cabinet, plate, vase, dish, and so on. We can also make different product colors and designs according to your requirement.

We have been producing and exporting lacquerware handicraft to Germany, England, French, Canada, Japan, Singapore, Australia...more than 10 years.We're proud that our high quality products, reasonable price and first-rate services have gained support and credit from numerous clients .

If you interest in our products and would like to know more details.Please feel free to visit our website. For any inquiry, please without any hesitation to contact us. Also please send us your email address then we will send you our catalogue along with prices.

Contact us:

Tel:86-29-85401636

MSN:[email protected]

Skpye:Grace-Lu98

E-mail: [email protected]

ADD:No 2 Zhuque road Xi’an city .china

http://www.chinalacquer.com

post-48886-1184232700_thumb.jpg

post-48886-1184232716_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys........

there are a few shops selling this type of furniture at the mall bang kapi, third floor i think and also seacon square.

nice furniture, not antiques, but new or reproduction, also not cheap.

you may also like to inspect the workmanship, take a really close look at the joints, inside the drawers, underneath the table tops etc, sometimes the quality is lacking, a lot of people look at the outside and see only the lacquer finish and forget to look elsewhere, or dont know what to look for.

sounds like you know your stuff and what to look for, so you should have no problems

Thanks guys........

Hi Tycoon,

I happen to walk into a shop today, selling very much the kind of things you are looking for. All the furniture I saw was genuine, some old, some very old and other less old. All furniture; on 3 floors, was identified as where it had come from, how old and what kind of wood was used. This was not a place where the average 'farang' would buy his furniture. It looked to me very much like a local shop.

This is where it is: Get on Rama 4 out of town, about 1 km after Sathorn road out of town, is a Honda dealership on the right hand side. The furniture shop is about another 200 meters along from Honda on the same side, it looks just like a typical Chinese shop house, with a grill door in front. No fancy show room or windows. It is also virtually oposite a McDonald's D/T.

I hope this helps......

Good luck

FRM

Thanks guys........

Hi Tycoon,

I happen to walk into a shop today, selling very much the kind of things you are looking for. All the furniture I saw was genuine, some old, some very old and other less old. All furniture; on 3 floors, was identified as where it had come from, how old and what kind of wood was used. This was not a place where the average 'farang' would buy his furniture. It looked to me very much like a local shop.

This is where it is: Get on Rama 4 out of town, about 1 km after Sathorn road out of town, is a Honda dealership on the right hand side. The furniture shop is about another 200 meters along from Honda on the same side, it looks just like a typical Chinese shop house, with a grill door in front. No fancy show room or windows. It is also virtually oposite a McDonald's D/T.

I hope this helps......

Good luck

FRM

frm, when you say rama 4 out of town, are you going in the direction of sukhumvit, or the other way.

what you have described sounds as if you were in klong toy area.

or were you going in the other direction past the hsbc bank?

the reason i ask is i am very interested in visiting the shop you described.

Thanks guys........

Hi Tycoon,

I hope this helps......

Good luck

FRM

frm, when you say rama 4 out of town, are you going in the direction of sukhumvit, or the other way.

what you have described sounds as if you were in klong toy area.

or were you going in the other direction past the hsbc bank?

the reason i ask is i am very interested in visiting the shop you described.

Hi rsg2001uk,

Your first assumption is correct, by out of town I mean leaving behind CBD (Silom, Sathorn etc.) direction Klong Toei on Rama 4, in fact it is not very much further beyond Klong Toei market, on the right hand side. Look for Honda on the right hand side and the McDonald's D/T on the left hand side. It is a very simple and uninviting shop. By the way, the 5th floor of Mah Boon Krong is also stuffed with Chinese furniture on one side, although all brand new.

Happy shopping,

FRM.

• 2 weeks later...