Tot Internet, My Condo And Ineptness...

Madivad

I'm really trying to smile throughout this...

I went to our building management and said I want the internet on. No problems, we can do it, it's up to us. There was "no problem" with them.

We then approached ToT about 6 weeks ago to get the internet connected to our building. They said they would be in touch in the next 3 or 4 days.

A week later we saw the woman who accepted our 'contract' and she said the woman that handles the connections has been away and she should be back soon. "Soon" was undefined in her vocabulary.

We went back the following week and this other woman was still not there, and the woman that signed us up said she doesn't know when she would be back. She couldn't tell us if she was on holidays, or sick. She couldn't even tell us if she was still worked there or was even alive! She did however give us a phone number to call, which incidentally was for the desk right next to hers. The desk of the woman noone has seen for 2 weeks.

We called the number twice since and there was noone there that could help us. My wife went there one more time before leaving to visit family for two weeks. They informed us they had lost our application and that if we wanted to connect we would have to start again. Rightly so my wife told them to forget it. She visited their office on the 13th of July. Today, we get an invoice from ToT for an internet service the woman told me doesn't exist. The issue date of this invoice is the day my wife attended their office! Which indicates to me the woman lied to us point blank. She obviously didn't look anything up whatsoever.

My wife goes to ToT today and the woman behind the counter tells her it is "our" fault because ToT came out WEEKS before the 13th to connect us up. But when he did his part in the telecoms box he didn't have our room number. The maintenance guy didn't know which room was "supposed" to get the internet, so he put it in the too hard basket. The ToT guy apparently didn't have the room number he was supposed to be connecting everything to.

So today, I have gone down and spoken to the maintenance guy and he said as much. He didn't know we wanted the internet. But he now informs me that we have to pay HIM an additional 1600B to run a new cable to our room. KNowing how distributions boards worked, I politely challenged this, but he affirmed that a NEW cable needed to be run because the ones in the building were old. I asked him if it was fiber, he had no idea what I was talking about. He took me to the ground floor distribution board and showed me, "we need new one of this," and pointed to a normal telephone cable, ie two pair in white sheath. ie copper! I told him we have copper to our room already and all he needed to do was re-connect us at the distribution board which is where the new problem comes in. Each floor has only 10 pair but we have twelve rooms. I know at least 2 other rooms here have no telephone or internet, and then he says but only 5 or 6 of those pairs are usable, hence we have to pay him to replace the lines.

My wife having signed the contract a month and a half ago, and then being forced to buy the wireless router because their non wireless model was incompatible with our system (it wasn't I had previously researched it and was EXACTLY what I wanted - they simply said they wouldn't sell it to her), I have no choice but to pay the maintenance man his cut to get the job done.

The first month that should have cost us about 600B has cost us 4 weeks without internet which we have to pay, a more expensive modem than I wanted, new cabling in my building which (with the modem) is costing more than 2000B

end of rant/vent

It's terrible to read such stories and it sucks,it makes me appreciate more the services that our countries in the west got to offer.

This is just a piss taking rip off.

Exactly the same in the West in my opinion...recently had 3 different engineers go to fix a central heating boiler all of which "knew" what the problem was and all replaced a different part. Took over 3 weeks, lots of unhappy tenants and cost over 20,000 baht in local money.

At least here in Thailand these things happen but the costs in my opinion are usually negligible.

Get Triple B,

I went and signed up on Monday morn, tuesday afternoon they came to the house, 30 minutes later had the new wire and modem , turned on my computer and i had wireless internet,

total cost for 6 mbs down .5 up 1281 ( includes 1st month payment of 599 baht.month) and new wireless modem,

No idea why anyone would get tot

When we connected to 3BB, they also told us we needed new wiring (two pair), but I pointed out that there was nothing wrong with the existing 'phone line - which was not in use - and so they relented. I already had a modem and wireless router, but since their offer package included selling me a modem for only an additional B100 (yep, around three dollars), I accepted. (It's still sitting in its box, but it's there as a backup if needed.) I've read so many tales of woe about ToT over the years that I wouldn't bother. They are said to be improving, but reading the OP's experiences does nothing to inspire confidence. It would be interesting to get Woody's input - pity that he doesn't seem to be on here much these days.

Get Triple B,

I went and signed up on Monday morn, tuesday afternoon they came to the house, 30 minutes later had the new wire and modem , turned on my computer and i had wireless internet,

total cost for 6 mbs down .5 up 1281 ( includes 1st month payment of 599 baht.month) and new wireless modem,

Yes, but I think the OP stay in a condo. I think geting a new wire to a house would be easier.

Get Triple B,

Can you get that everywhere? We are near Samkong.Do you have to pay a year in advance or billed monthly? What kind of documentation is needed?

Thanks.

its in these posts that the ******* who have only 2 saying are not posting "get out of thailand if you dont enjoy their culture(for everything that is wrong with thais) and It's thailand, enjoy their culture. You know they have better things to do then make exceptions for a crazy demanding farang"

should of posted in the general, they might have come through, i think bangtao boy is on vacation

I should add to the above that if they had have run new two piar, it was included in the price (B590 pcm) - I just didn't see the need for it.

That is supposed to be 590B per M? Yeah? Per cm seems a bit steep :)

I wish I did go 3BB now, but I was a bit confused thinking they were wireless only. I know better now. We were leaving the condo to go see them when we checked the mail and saw the tot bill. Infuriating to say the least.

We would have the same problem with 3BB at tad condo though, as it's the building mgr and maintenance guy that's saying we need new 2 pair. I KNOW it only needs to be patched out at the main panel and my floor. I'm doing my darndest not to get angry, but keeping my cool is only getting me ripped off. I feel like buying some cable testing signal generator and breaking open the panel and doing it myself one night! It'd be cheaper than what he wants to rewire up multiple floors.

Well, I'm slowly trying to manage a smile. I'm finally connected today, but this thai time has got ridiculous!

I originally posted this on a Wednesday and was told the building guy would do this on the friday. Friday he came around and said it was all done, but alas, we have no internet.

He goes and checks things again and comes back (now this is late Friday afternoon) and says the problem is ToT, everything he has done is fine, we have to wait for them. ToT (he assures me) will come out this (Friday) afternoon. They don't. He says they'll come tomorrow (Saturday)... They didn't. Then, he again assures me they will come out Sunday (I didn't believe that one for a moment). I let that one slide. I was promised first thing Monday... By lunch time I was well and truly over this and we called ToT... Yes, he is coming today. Assured again (from ToT this time) he would be there. ToT guy calls us at 4pm, I'll be there in one hour...

7pm, you guessed it, he's still not here.

Tuesday (today), around midday, ToT arrives. Plugs in a telephone and as I suspected, nothing. If our maintenance guy had any sort of testing equipment he could have seen this was the case. ToT look at it, disappear, and come back. Then do a proximity test (ie, the tool - I don't know what it's called - but you put it near the line and you can hear the signal), and there's something. Tried the phone again, nothing. ToT stated its the wall connector - not their problem and left.

Now it's back on the maintenance guy. I track him down, tell him the problem and he goes to another room and ransacks their wall connector, put's it in our room and low and behold.... [This post is now coming from our new ToT connection!]

@starky_rich, so far so good. I'm on a 6MBit plan, and we're downloading at .5MB/s. I know it should be quicker, but compared to the 3G speeds I'm (NOT) getting in my room, I'll gladly take this!

I'm on a 6MBit plan, and we're downloading at .5MB/s. I know it should be quicker, but compared to the 3G speeds I'm (NOT) getting in my room, I'll gladly take this!

I'm confused. Internet speeds are as you said in bits. Downloads, like on bit torrents are in bytes. I was just downloading some stuff at around 400 KBps or 3.2 Mbps. The unit symbol KB is commonly used for kilobyte, but may be confused with the common meaning of Kb for kilobit. IEEE 1541 specifies the lower case character b as the symbol for bit.

I'm on a 6MBit plan, and we're downloading at .5MB/s. I know it should be quicker, but compared to the 3G speeds I'm (NOT) getting in my room, I'll gladly take this!

I'm confused. Internet speeds are as you said in bits. Downloads, like on bit torrents are in bytes. I was just downloading some stuff at around 400 KBps or 3.2 Mbps. The unit symbol KB is commonly used for kilobyte, but may be confused with the common meaning of Kb for kilobit. IEEE 1541 specifies the lower case character b as the symbol for bit.

Which part actually confuses you? I quoted the plan in bits (I used MBit - I could have used MBit/s or Mb/s but the "per second" is commonly dropped and the meaning persists) and download in bytes (I used MB/s) the addition of "it" as in "bit" in "MBit" differentiated from the latter MB/s being megabyte.

I went down to TOT in Patong yesterday and signed up for their Wi-Net plan. I believe it's Wimax based. No need for <deleted> copper lines for ADSL broadband. I'm up on a hill with direct point to point visability to the broadcast tower, so should be OK. Connecting on Monday. I believe they have another tower in the hills above Phuket town.

I went down to TOT in Patong yesterday and signed up for their Wi-Net plan. I believe it's Wimax based. No need for <deleted> copper lines for ADSL broadband. I'm up on a hill with direct point to point visability to the broadcast tower, so should be OK. Connecting on Monday. I believe they have another tower in the hills above Phuket town.

@GiantFan -

A friend of mine just signed up for that service, and I'm anxiously waiting to hear how well it works.

@OP -

AIS HSPA "3G" would've been a whole lot cheaper and easier - and probably faster too. See http://phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2011/article10731.html and my article in tomorrow's Phuket Gazette.

Since you're in Samkong (?) you also could get True's HSPA "3G". Details here http://phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2011/article10549.html

Follow this stuff in the Gazette, guys! You'll save yourself tons of money and headache. Start at http://phuketgazette.net/computers/index.asp and work backwards (from the newest posts to the oldest) to see what is and isn't working in Phuket. We have hundreds of people posting speeds now. No reason to go it alone...

Which 3G service are you using?

If you're getting lousy download speeds, please, please, please start reporting them on www.phuketinternetspeed.com . We have both True and AIS checking their 3G speeds on the site every day. If you get your numbers posted, out where people can see them, you'll not only help yourself, you'll also be helping everybody else who's having problems.

Edited by woodyleonhard

HI Woody, I'm in Patong, not Samkong. Actually a stone throw from your shop - there most days for breakfast :). I signed up with a ToT wired account, not 3G/wireless.

I signed up on their 6 Mb/s (megabits per second) plan and just did a speedtest (using speedtest.net) and it came in at just over 5 Mb/s, so I'm happy with that (oh, and the misses is watching youtube as we speak lol).

When I was talking about the download speed I was experiencing, I was talking in MB/s (megabytes per second), and I was getting just over half a meg a second. Which is still 4Mb/s so it wasn't that bad after all. I'm just use to faster speeds on my 24Mb/s back at home.

HI Woody, I'm in Patong, not Samkong. Actually a stone throw from your shop - there most days for breakfast :). I signed up with a ToT wired account, not 3G/wireless.

I signed up on their 6 Mb/s (megabits per second) plan and just did a speedtest (using speedtest.net) and it came in at just over 5 Mb/s, so I'm happy with that (oh, and the misses is watching youtube as we speak lol).

When I was talking about the download speed I was experiencing, I was talking in MB/s (megabytes per second), and I was getting just over half a meg a second. Which is still 4Mb/s so it wasn't that bad after all. I'm just use to faster speeds on my 24Mb/s back at home.

AHA! Makes all the difference. 4Mbps on a 6 Mbps account is doing very well indeed.

Please do sign up and post your speeds! That way everybody can keep an eye on what's happening.

@woody, will do. I'm in BKK currently, back in the next week or two. I did mention at one stage my 3G speeds, when I said that I was just talking about using my iPhone as a modem. The speeds I was getting there were shocking. But reasonably happy with the tot line (now that it's in). I'll do some tests when I get home and let you know. Cheers

Ends up that TOT is using something called AirMax, from www.ubint.com .

It's 802.11 technology, but it's been modified extensively to improve reception. The speeds we're seeing on www.phuketinternetspeed.com are very impressive. Too early to tell about reliability.

When you get hooked up, drop me a line and let's get your speeds out for everybody to see. TOT may have a winner here....

• 2 weeks later...

Ends up that TOT is using something called AirMax, from www.ubint.com .

It's 802.11 technology, but it's been modified extensively to improve reception. The speeds we're seeing on www.phuketinternetspeed.com are very impressive. Too early to tell about reliability.

When you get hooked up, drop me a line and let's get your speeds out for everybody to see. TOT may have a winner here....

UPDATE

Finally got through to the lady down at TOT Patong (2 weeks after the initial date of set up was promised). At first, she claimed that they were "having problems" with their Wi-Net and would call me back. She did call back about 1 hour later and the story changed.

Now she claimed that the technician told her that the signal from my house was poor. BTW, I never saw anyone come up to check. I immediately countered that this was total BS and I could see the antenna from my balcony. She would re-check with the technician and he would come over to re-check. With the flooding in Patong today, he didn't come over, but I don't blame him. Maybe tomorrow.

Finally, she was keen to convert me to the TOT ADSL broadband. I have a land line at my house, so this is an option, but I currently have BBB MaxNet, so not very interested. I explained that their copper is old and that Wi-Net was potentially a more appealing option. She replied that they installed new copper on my road 1 month ago (Soi 3, Phrabaramee) and that it was much faster.

So it looks like they are having some teething problems. Will re-post when something happens.