New Passport, Renew Visa, Same Time?

I originally came to Thailand on a non-immigrant O visa, I then enrolled in a University and now have a student visa extension. I have to renew my student visa in 2 weeks, and I also need to renew my passport(usa). Today I went to the US Consulate to renew my passport and they said they should have it by next thursday. Now, when I get my new passport from the consulate can I then make one trip to immigration to renew and transfer my student visa? I didnt see this covered prior. I hope what I wrote was clear to understand. Thanks in advance.

Yes you should be able to transfer current extension of stay and then make a new normal extension of stay in the new passport in one visit.

It may require two queues if that is what you want to know.

• 2 months later...

Yes you should be able to transfer current extension of stay and then make a new normal extension of stay in the new passport in one visit.

I'm in a similar situation to CNX1984. I've just received my new passport (my old one was about to expire), but have not yet transferred the latest visa. My current non-immigrant B visa expires November 1 and I have already had my work permit extended for another year. According to this link http://www.thailandstartup.com/2011/02/non-immigrant-b-visa-renewal-checklist/ (I hope posting links is OK) I would get an automatic 3-month extension on my non-immigrant B visa if I simply exited and reentered the kingdom a few days before my visa expires. Is this true? If so, should I get my visa transferred to my new passport now, then just leave/return towards the end of this month? I would then have 3 months to organize everything for the visa renewal. Or should I try to renew my visa at the same time I get it transferred and not bother trying to get an extra 3 months on the current visa by taking a holiday abroad?

Do you have multi entry non immigrant B visa issued by a Consulate and exit every 90 days or less for a new 90 day stay? If yes any exit before it expires gets a new 90 day stay. If you actually have a one year extension of stay from Immigration (it is not a visa renewal) then you must obtain a new extension of stay to stay longer.

• 2 months later...

Just to update for future searches, Have all your paperwork ready for the transfer of your current visa and extension to the new passport, you will get two que numbers, the transfer will be first. After that you will have time to make photocopies of the transferred info into your new passport for the extension of stay(visa renewal). If you fill out the forms before hand, fill them out for your new passport. I made the mistake of filling them out for the old passport because I thought that would be first. Luckily I had extra copies waiting to be filled out.

So new passport first.

Then extension of stay.

I just obtained a new passport from the US embassy and I have to renew my retirement extension next week using the new passport as the old one has been invalidated/cancelled by the embassy...all my previous extension details are in the old passport which I of course intend to take with me and I don't see that anything needs to be transferred from the old to the new passport; the new retirement extension and re-entry permit will simply be entered into the new passport without any fuss or hassle, I presume...

I'll keep my old passport for when I exit Thailand next as it has my last entry stamp...

the embassy gives you a document with your new passport to assist in the transfer of any visas, etc and they also advise that this is not necessary if one simply keeps the old passport together with the new passport to display all the old visas, stamps, etc when required at the airport, local immigration office and etc...

so, in my case I don't see the need to transfer nothin' to the new passport...

oh...please confirm that I'm not mistakensad.png ...lop?

I am sure you are mistaken (as I am sure you likely expect). The current extension of stay and old passport date always has to be transferred into the new passport. Without that there is no basis for the new extension of stay. Only those using visa entry seem to be exempt from this until exit.

So fill out form to transfer, fill out extension of stay form. Once everything into new passport there will not be any need to carry it. Should not add much time to your visit and it will be taken care of. You put your current arrival card with your new passport once done.

oh well...the guy at the embassy seemed to think that if one kept the old and new passports together to show all previous details when required for a suitable period of time then transferring data wouldn't be required which sounds reasonable but this is Thailand and etc...maybe he was just referring to entry stamps, TM6 etc and not retirement extension details...

oh...it is a cruel world, just like something outta Dickens at xmas timecrying.gif

(a tourist sez to tutsi: 'you live here?...I hear that the Thai immigration requirements are severe...'...tutsi: 'yes...they are quite Dickensian...')

Edited by tutsiwarrior

just returned from the Ayudtthaya immigration office where I completed the following:

- transfer of stamps to new passport

- new retirement extension

- multi re-entry permit

the lady officer gang banged my virgin new passport and filled 4 pages...she scribbled away for about an hour...good service and no hassles using the monthly income method spreading the total amount earned over the past year over 12 months (monthly average) as declared on the US embassy affidavit and she attached one of my bank account credit notification letters that I had at hand...I went downstairs after and had a Swensons chocolate sundae at the Ampo Mall to celebrate my success...

btw, the lady who took my documents casually asked my wife if we lived together and that took care of any residence verification requirement...we had all of her docs (tabien ban, ID card) to show but wasn't necessary...my greatest worry...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

also btw...I was queried regarding my 90 day report which was due on the 15 Dec and I showed my EMS receipt for my 'mail in' report...no matter, they filled out a TM47 on the spot and gave me the bottom half to keep with my passport with today's date and next reporting date 26 March 2012...never saw nothin' about no bar codes like others have reported, maybe that's just for BKK...

and crooning in the background: 'have yourself a merry little xmas...keep the yuletide bright...'