What Will I Lose

boaterjack

As in many other (Western) countries, your wife will get 50% of your stuff. If you buy a car, it will probably on her name as the land you bought.

So - the best solution is to make a pre-nuptual agreement which separates the assets. This had to be done before the registration of the marriage and cannot be changed later!

As in many other (Western) countries, your wife will get 50% of your stuff. If you buy a car, it will probably on her name as the land you bought.

So - the best solution is to make a pre-nuptual agreement which separates the assets. This had to be done before the registration of the marriage and cannot be changed later!

everything you own at date of marriage will remain yours if divorce. Everything gained during marriage will be split 50/50 by divorce agreement, or by court.

as the court can use years, its better to register cars and stuff purchased during marriage in your name, as you get to use it until settlement/court ruling exists.

Actually, for a pre-nuptial agreement to be valid in Thailand it should be registered at the same time as the marriage registration. Also, Thai laws state that anything you owned before marriage becomes personal belonging (sin suan tua) while everything acquired during marriage is common belongings (sin somros).

Actually, even if you buy land in your wife's name, sign a statement at the land office declaring that the land in question is your wife's only, you still own half of that land, and in the event of a divorce and a court ruling, the court will rule that way as marriage couples, again according to Thai law, cannot give gifts to or sign agreements with one another. Hence, the law takes preceding over any statements given at the land office.

Edited by stgrhe

Actually, for a pre-nuptial agreement to be valid in Thailand it should be registered at the same time as the marriage registration. Also, Thai laws state that anything you owned before marriage becomes personal belonging (sin suan tua) while everything acquired during marriage is common belongings (sin somros).

Actually, even if you buy land in your wife's name, sign a statement at the land office declaring that the land in question is your wife's only, you still own half of that land, and in the event of a divorce and a court ruling, the court will rule that way as marriage couples, again according to Thai law, cannot give gifts to or sign agreements with one another. Hence, the law takes preceding over any statements given at the land office.

and such a split of sin somros property by the court, usually gives the couple 180-360 days to sell, if not succeeded sold at auction and then split

Hello everybody.

I'm getting the impression that marrying a Thai lady might not be regarded as a good idea. I met an old guy here on Friday night and he's been married for a few years, he had quite a few stories about it but seems quite happy overall. But then another guy, think he was a bar owner, just split from his wife and was completely the opposite, so I guess you never can tell!

I was thinking it'd nice to have a Thai g/f while here, but not easy to meet 'nice' ones I guess. Sorry I'm off the topic now.

I like the comment about cow and milk ;-) I'm looking for a cow later tonight.

Previous posters miss out

When you marry everything acquired after marriage split 50/50 after divorce INCLUDE children.

Not like west where woman own children.

Not marry, children only ever belong to her.

If you intend have children correct order important, buy condo (I prefer rent), buy car (maybe) then get marry have children.

Never take lady out of Thailand, she never get rights in west.

The bottom line is that you marry a Thai woman for the same reason you do it in a Western country, not because she is Thai.

No

Different country, different wedding vows, different laws, different reasons to marry.

I think ST was saying . You get married because you love the other person......simple really :rolleyes:

All the rest is just <deleted>. same as it is back home.

I think ST was saying . You get married because you love the other person......simple really :rolleyes:

Love is no reason AT ALL to marry. Love last short time.

Security and children more important. Don't need them then don't need marry.

You don't need to marry the cow to enjoy a glass of milk.

you dont have to buy the cow to enjoy a glass of milk.

Everyone deserves their chance at marrying a TG.

I did, worst mistake of my life, it was good for 10 years, but you can only ignore the obvious for a period of time.

I am going to date my current for 40 years.

Love may not be a reason for YOU to marry but it is the reason nearly all people marry. Of course there are exceptions to the rule.

Maybe there is no NEED to marry but love may cause one to WANT to marry.

In your case I doubt it though. :D

Hello everybody.

I'm getting the impression that marrying a Thai lady might not be regarded as a good idea. I met an old guy here on Friday night and he's been married for a few years, he had quite a few stories about it but seems quite happy overall. But then another guy, think he was a bar owner, just split from his wife and was completely the opposite, so I guess you never can tell!

I was thinking it'd nice to have a Thai g/f while here, but not easy to meet 'nice' ones I guess. Sorry I'm off the topic now.

The simple fact of the matter is Thai women are really no different from a woman anywhere else in the world.

If you marry a money grabbing tramp in the UK you will have similar problems to those which Westerners in Thailand experience when marrying a similar type of Thai woman.

If you use better judgement in your choices the likelihood of difficulties is significantly reduced.

The issue in Thailand is that often Western men go a little giddy and loose the capacity to think logically, when this is combined with cultural confusion and language barriers it's hardly surprising that there are a number of issues.

Additionally - There are a number of normal stories.. I won't say great or better than the west.. Just normal - After all, it's quite normal for most people to meet normal people and live the rest of their lives in relative piece and happiness...

This latter case is hardly 'internet candy' as such we rarely read about the 'normal' stories.....

As Such, Advice for the OP: If you are sure of what you are doing, why not get married?..... You are asking what will you loose perhaps you are having second thoughts which is also quite natural, marriage is a life and lifestyle changing event. You can never be sure....

......... Perhaps the best question to ask is 'what would you lose if you didn't get married ?'

• Like 1

Love may not be a reason for YOU to marry but it is the reason nearly all people marry. Of course there are exceptions to the rule.

Hardly any Thai girl marry for love.

Foreigner might be different, many foreigner very silly.

Many foreigners do not have the capacity to think outside their own box of experience..........

There are more than just poor uneducated Thai women in Thailand who have their own financial security and choices...

Many foreigners do not have the capacity to think outside their own box of experience..........

There are more than just poor uneducated Thai women in Thailand who have their own financial security and choices...

They not marry for love either.

Poor and uneducated girl marry for money and security, rich and educated girl marry for more money and more security.

They not marry for love either.

Poor and uneducated girl marry for money and security, rich and educated girl marry for more money and more security.

Just one example of some posters not being able to think outside their box....

I'm sure your point is correct for a lot of 'people' globally (men and women), I'm also sure the sweeping generalization above can be proved wrong by a number of posters who have simply married within their socioeconomic boundries....

Apparently you have no clue what love means in this situation. What you are referring to is in plain English called "to be in love". From your arguments I assume you are a Thai or another Asian.

What will I lose if I marry my Thai Girlfriend - what will she automatically gain from me.

If you need to ask, then its probably to soon.

My other advice is take your time ,question yourself why your asking this question I don't confess to Know the answers.

I am considering marrying a Thai but realise there's a lot to learn I get most of my education at stickmanbangkok.com.

Hello everybody.

Why marry one of these money grabbing sex machine's, many silly foriegner's have married and put all the assets in the Thai females name, they are stuck with them. Also the majority of the Thai females they marry have worked in bars which is obvious, Thailand makes liars of most guys that come, doubt the silly Mr Foriegner admits to his family and friends that she was a prostitute.

When the money runs out so does the LOVE. :whistling: :jap: :whistling:

... Also the majority of the Thai females they marry have worked in bars which is obvious, Thailand makes liars of most guys that come, doubt the silly Mr Foriegner admits to his family and friends that she was a prostitute.

It looks like you are talking out of a personal experience. I, for one, know many Westerners, who are married to a Thai, and none of those ladies have ever worked in a bar. In fact most of them are graduates or post graduates. I suppose we live in a different world to you and your friends.

^ Absolutely right stgrhe, I know lots of foreigners married to regular Thai women, some they even met in their home country, many (including myself, married for 15 years) whose wives have a higher level of formal education than the husband.

Women are the same anywhere, there are those who marry for money, security, or societal position; and there are those who marry because they genuinely have feelings for the guy. If mine married me for money, she would have left me a few years ago when that ran out. ;)