Footwear A Good Gay Fashion Indicator

Was out dining with a friend of mine when he pointed out that a young man of about 23, there with an older woman we presumed was his mother, was probably gay. I admitted it was possible but couldn't understand his certainty. He pointed out the young man's fashionable feet- not sure what to call them, but he was wearing those flatter, snug-fitting shoes- often they have a denim-looking fabric on the top surface- and his feet were twined about each other in a way that just didn't seem, um, masculine. I had to concede the point.

Of course, with the recent rise in pointy shoes, flamboyant neon elf-boots, and other much surer giveaways, it's getting easier to know if a man is gay in a general public area just from his footwear, I think. Or not?

Figured it was time for a lighter discussion in here, after all...

I am older than you, but in my eying people up, I've not quite made it all the way down to the shoes.

Same same. I've found that there a multitude of distractions on view before I reach the ground.

post-37101-0-38919800-1312025138_thumb.j

THE BIRKENSTOCK

The Birkenstock is classic granola lesbian footwear at its finest—and most time-tested. For eons, these warm leatherettes, wholly lacking in personality, have been a staple in the lesbian shoe department. A pair of Birkenstocks represents an easy, slip-on lesbian identity that all but guarantees an adventurous camping trip, a ride share to Lilith Fair, and a 30-year relationship with a female Unitarian minister named Chris who loves earth tones just as much as you do.

IF THESE SHOES COULD TALK: They would speak in crystal vibrations.

http://breedersdigest.org/2008/12/09/lesbian-footwear-at-its-finest/ Edited by Jingthing

Someone doesn't know their metrosexuals from their heteropolitans.

..... and what are Birkenstocks? Something to do with lederhosen? ..... and do you wear white socks with them?

I believe that're known as Laughingstocks in the UK.

White socks optional.

Some of you gentlemen don't seem to get out in the Thai community much if you really haven't noticed the extremely pointy toed shoes that many gay men wear. And while I have seen a straight man wearing a shoe with a slight point, the extreme pointy ones have always been worn by gay men. But then, I am a woman and I notice things like shoes and hair.

Some of you gentlemen don't seem to get out in the Thai community much if you really haven't noticed the extremely pointy toed shoes that many gay men wear. And while I have seen a straight man wearing a shoe with a slight point, the extreme pointy ones have always been worn by gay men. But then, I am a woman and I notice things like shoes and hair.

I hate pointy shoes - and I'm as gay as a goose.

I was sitting in a boutique restaurant and noticed a middle aged man wearing soiled, worn out round toed Hush Puppies shoes and... a Casio plastic digital band watch around his wrist...and wearing a brown and red plaid button shirt with his Docker brown pants-----he must have been "straight".

I was sitting in a boutique restaurant and noticed a middle aged man wearing soiled, worn out round toed Hush Puppies shoes and... a Casio plastic digital band watch around his wrist

Nothing wrong with a Casio. NASA think they're fab and groovy and they're regularly worn on the ISS:

Flight-Qualified by NASA for space missions:

Original Omega Speedy

Omega Speedmaster Professional X-33

Casio G-Shock DW-5600C

Casio G-Shock DW-5600E

Casio G-Shock DW-5900

Casio G-Shock DW-6900

Casio G-Shock Master of G G-9000

Timex IRONMAN Triathlon Data Link

I hate pointy shoes - and I'm as gay as a goose.

yeppers, and I know some of the 'metrosexual' set (str8, make-up wearing, eyebrow tweezing) that wear the extremely pointy shoes. So we have str8 guys wearing pointy shoes, and me wearing Crocks most of the time as my work environment is casual 95% of the time ... :)

Then again my choices for shoes are usually Cole Hahn's or Johnston and Murphy's for work, and Tecnica boots for hiking.

^ and even ^^ and ^^^,

These sound like good possibilities for another meaty discussion thread: 'Can women have gaydar?' Shall I split it off?

But in the meantime... could we get back to footwear here? I don't think that LH is making an argument of any kind about non-flamboyant or subtle types at all, in fact, and it seems that we're all agreed that the flamboyant ones are easy to spot.

:P

:D

I'm going to try to get a camera shot of the type of shoe I'm talking about in the OP so as to be more clear.

Interestingly, I don't think anyone has needed to ask for clarification about the 'pointy shoe' phenomenon, which indicates how widespread and self-explanatory it is. I do think there are probably fewer 'metrosexuals' here in Bangkok with them, because they are simply SOOOOO much a gay fashion symbol here at the moment. I've found the incidence very near 100% (pointy shoe = gay and usually flamboyant Thai), though I hasten to add not necessarily the reverse (or having anything to do with the tastes of gay non-Thais).

Incidentally, JD, think what you say about 'resetting' gaydar is pretty spot on - not only here, but between Asian countries as well- the body language, facial expression, tone of voice- all take some calibration internally for a variety of types.

But in the meantime... could we get back to footwear here? I don't think that LH is making an argument of any kind about non-flamboyant or subtle types at all, in fact, and it seems that we're all agreed that the flamboyant ones are easy to spot.

"Flamboyant ones" = "easy to spot" ? Yes. Flamboyant pointy shoe wearer = gay? No.

... and I am not making any assumptions about LH's "argument", but I am still wondering what makes her so sure they are all gay.

These sound like good possibilities for another meaty discussion thread: 'Can women have gaydar?' Shall I split it off?

I think it would certainly be "meaty", but like a discussion on what is meant by gay, homosexual, gayness, homosexuality, katoeys and lady-boys it may give us all the chance to say what they mean to us and to express our own views and our own prejudices but it wouldn't alter what they actually mean. When I went to school every English word had what was called a common English usage which was defined by recognised and accepted authorities (the Greater Oxford Dictionary was "GOD", but now there are several others) and this avoided the confusion which all too often occurs here.

Language is constantly evolving and we are all part of that evolution, but the "meaning" of a word is not something that TV is in any position to dictate so the answer to that question has to be a simple but categorical "NO".

Maybe "How can you identify gays?" would be a "meaty" alternative - although successful moderation may be difficult!:redcard1:

Saw a fellow in light blue and white open toe brogues the other day, but what really caught my attention was that his trousers seemed to be intentionally half mast - stopping at least 4 to 6 inches above his ankles. Perhaps, he was, perhaps he wasn't! :D

I am a shoe person, in that I do notice people's shoes. I would say it is a reasonable indicator but by no means infallible. Personally, I think those pointy shoes of court jester proportions ridiculously silly, but we have men on both sides of the divide who wear them at our office. I think in many cases you would need to look for other indicators - not that I know what they are - to be sure one way or another.

Country Thai people don't wear shoes much, much less pointy ones, gay or straight.

Agree, never noticed anyone wearing shoes, never seen anyone wearing pointy shoes, flip flops or saddles :blink:

The dentist always wears pink flip flops + has pink slippers in the practice, his wife pharmacy next door wear white or black, the son also a dentist at the same practice always wears flip flops in red. also went into Tesco Express no one had shoes, everyone had flip flops except me and a school boy which also had saddles.......

Myself do have a pair of shoes but as they must last my life wear only 2 or 3 times a year.. cannot buy 47 or UK size 13's here.

Something I miss here, in Portugal flip flops and cheap saddles base are made from old car tyres, they were great + non slip

I am glad you added 'as a rule'. When I see a guy with stilettos, I get pretty suspicious.

Yes,this would have me with my back to the wall, until it was safe.biggrin.gif

Don't worry. Given the masses of attractive totty in the LoS you're probably a long way down the queue :lol: