Does Anyone Use Or Need Kefir Grains?

tropo

1 hour ago, tropo said:

Just one thing that I still didn't get, is why some people want water kefir ?! is it because they do not want to rink milk ?

I forgot to answer this question.

A lot of people are afraid of milk for various reasons, the more common reason being lactose intolerance. Those people would prefer water kefir grains. As kefir grains digest lactose to produce lactic acid, which gives kefir milk its sour taste. The longer the fermentation proceeds, the less lactose there will be in the finished drinking kefir.

Water kefir grains would also be a good alternative for people who can't easily get fresh milk at a reasonable price, or who don't have access to refrigerated storage.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/15/2018 at 8:19 AM, gaff said:

Thank you Tropo, I have read the 27 pages of this thread and people are lucky to have you to reply to their question.

Just one thing that I still didn't get, is why some people want water kefir ?! is it because they do not want to rink milk ?

And someone talked about commercial kefir that has a limited life span, but do we know if the one sold at HK probiotics or thaiartisan foods can be used forever as tropo kefir ?

hkprobiotics sells for 450 thb

One Tablespoon of Active Milk Kefir Grains

and

thaiartisan sells for 200 thb

In the sachet includes 1 teaspoon of dehydrated milk kefir grains and 1 tablespoon of powdered milk to help keep the grains healthy and happy.

is it exactly the same thing ?! just the tablespoon is bigger, so the price is finally similar ?

Thanks again.

Kind of late reply but want to clarify a few things that Tropo masterfully covered.  

First, the difference between the prices at HKProbiotics and Thai Artisan is that the active grains need to be fed fresh milk on a regular basis.  And the more grains you have, the more milk you need.  This would be a significantly higher expense so the grains would be more expensive.

Thai Artisan freezes the grains so they do not need constant feeding.  They can last a LONG time in the freezer.  The powdered milk reduces or eliminates any freezer burns and keeps the grains healthier.  Supplying grains this way is not only cheaper, it handles shipping better.  It could be shipped for weeks and weeks with no problem.

As far as reactivation, Tropo's post on that is accurate.  But Thailand seems to be a breeding ground for fermentation.  When I need to restock the grains, I take the last bag of grains and swap out the milk 3 times a day.  In about 3 days it's fully activated and producing more grains at about 25-50% daily.  I'm fully restocked in less than 2 weeks.  A side note, I use Makro Aro whole milk for this and also for making cheese.  Good stuff.  But Meiji and the other store milks work well too.

If you're interested, I did a step-by-step blog entry on re hydrating that includes photos.
https://thaiartisanfoods.com/blog/dehydrated-milk-kefir-grains-reactivation/ 

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/27/2019 at 5:47 PM, gamesgplayemail said:

hello, is it true that you can keep your kefir forever ? and where can I get some please ? it seems to be free ? thank you.

Yes, if you look after them, you should be able to keep them for as long as the earth and its cows survive. Millions or billions of years? If the earth becomes uninhabitable and you have an interstellar spaceship and can find an inhabitable planet that has cows, maybe you can keep them for millions of years more.

Yet, some people manage to kill them. Heat stress is the main killer in Thailand. The best way to avoid heat stress, and to make a superior kefir, is to do 90% of the brewing in the refrigerator.

One time I left my kefir grains in the same milk in the fridge for 6 months. When I returned they were still in good condition. All I did was rinse them well and put them in fresh milk, and they were good to go.

• Like 2

On 2/11/2020 at 11:19 AM, tropo said:

The best way to avoid heat stress, and to make a superior kefir, is to do 90% of the brewing in the refrigerator.

yes, but they say that a fridge is too cold ? how do you do ? and is the process slower in the fridge ?

maybe keep some in the fridge and some outside ? can i know exactly how you do ?

fridge or in aircon room maybe ok ? and can you confirm that we should never close the lid ? they need air ?

thank you so much.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

yes, but they say that a fridge is too cold ? how do you do ? and is the process slower in the fridge ?

maybe keep some in the fridge and some outside ? can i know exactly how you do ?

fridge or in aircon room maybe ok ? and can you confirm that we should never close the lid ? they need air ?

thank you so much.

Nevermind what "people" say because they usually live in temperate climates. In the tropics we have to adapt our brewing techniques. You'll find very little information on hot weather brewing in climates such as Thailand where it is hot all year around. Having made it here for near 10 years, I'm probably one of the world's leading experts LOL. It takes quite a bit to kill the grains, and a summer in a temperate to subtropical climate won't kill them, because they recover when room temperatures drops in the cooler seasons.

I can brew kefir 100% in a fridge at 3 - 4C. It takes a while, but I did this for a couple of years. I would make a large 7 litre batch every 2 - 3 weeks, 100% in the fridge. That required around 500 grams of kefir grains. Eventually the brew started getting quite bitter, indicating the yeast components of the kefir matrix were dominant, over the bacterial components that make it sour.

I adapted to a different system where I brew in and out of the fridge. I make 2 litres at a time. When my drinking kefir is nearly finished, I take the grains (in milk) out of the fridge to complete the brewing process. It'll usually be done in 6 - 8 hours, when I start seeing a distinct separation of the kefir whey. Then I will put it back (grains in milk) in the fridge again overnight, and strain the grains out the next day and restart with fresh milk. This produces a very thick and very sour drinking kefir.

If you brew 100% at Thailand room temperature (about 30C average all year if no direct sunlight heating), it brews really fast and you end up with an incomplete brew that is too sweet and thin. Sweet means too much lactose and not enough sour lactic acid. This is because the grains haven't managed to convert (digest) all of the milk sugar (lactose) as they haven't been in contact with the milk for long enough.

Of course you need to build up your stock of kefir grains, which will happen quickly if you brew out of the fridge. You can give the grains a break from the heat every day, by putting the brewing container in the fridge for half a day or so. This will enable you to keep the grains happy and healthy for your lifetime. Once you have an adequate stock of grains, try my method.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Brew said:

Kefir Grains on Lazada:

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.06Fe5

5 grams for 300 baht, plus shipping. Don't do it. That's a teaspoon, which will eventually become a lot more, but it will take a long time. The serves I used to give way were between 30 and 50 grams. Another place that sells them in Bangkok was mentioned on this thread that has a much better deal.

• Like 2

On 2/17/2020 at 3:32 PM, tropo said:

5 grams for 300 baht, plus shipping. Don't do it. That's a teaspoon, which will eventually become a lot more, but it will take a long time. The serves I used to give way were between 30 and 50 grams. Another place that sells them in Bangkok was mentioned on this thread that has a much better deal.

But is it still possible to get it from you ? Can you give more for 300 thb ?

Also wondering if you know hundreds of people drinking kefir ? Since the beginning, it seems that many people contacted you ?

Or do you think that few people consider kefir as important ?

In my opinion people are not very smart, so I would not be surprised if they were not able to understand why kefir matters.

On 2/14/2020 at 5:29 PM, tropo said:

Nevermind what "people" say because they usually live in temperate climates. In the tropics we have to adapt our brewing techniques. You'll find very little information on hot weather brewing in climates such as Thailand where it is hot all year around. Having made it here for near 10 years, I'm probably one of the world's leading experts LOL. It takes quite a bit to kill the grains, and a summer in a temperate to subtropical climate won't kill them, because they recover when room temperatures drops in the cooler seasons.

I can brew kefir 100% in a fridge at 3 - 4C. It takes a while, but I did this for a couple of years. I would make a large 7 litre batch every 2 - 3 weeks, 100% in the fridge. That required around 500 grams of kefir grains. Eventually the brew started getting quite bitter, indicating the yeast components of the kefir matrix were dominant, over the bacterial components that make it sour.

I adapted to a different system where I brew in and out of the fridge. I make 2 litres at a time. When my drinking kefir is nearly finished, I take the grains (in milk) out of the fridge to complete the brewing process. It'll usually be done in 6 - 8 hours, when I start seeing a distinct separation of the kefir whey. Then I will put it back (grains in milk) in the fridge again overnight, and strain the grains out the next day and restart with fresh milk. This produces a very thick and very sour drinking kefir.

If you brew 100% at Thailand room temperature (about 30C average all year if no direct sunlight heating), it brews really fast and you end up with an incomplete brew that is too sweet and thin. Sweet means too much lactose and not enough sour lactic acid. This is because the grains haven't managed to convert (digest) all of the milk sugar (lactose) as they haven't been in contact with the milk for long enough.

Of course you need to build up your stock of kefir grains, which will happen quickly if you brew out of the fridge. You can give the grains a break from the heat every day, by putting the brewing container in the fridge for half a day or so. This will enable you to keep the grains happy and healthy for your lifetime. Once you have an adequate stock of grains, try my method.

Thank you so much ! you really are THE expert !

So what I understand is that I can get my daily kefir milk if I put "grains in milk" in the fridge for 12 hours, then outside the fridge for 12 hours.

This way I won't make milk in advance, but I will have daily kefir milk to drink, can you confirm ?

But if I want to make more grains I should let "milk in grains" outside the fridge for few days ? Then I will have more grains if I change the milk (drink it) everyday ? If I use my daily 12hours in + 12hours out daily routine, I will get kefir milk to drink daily but grains won't multiply ? Or they will still multiply if I keep them in the fridge 12 hours everyday ?

Thanks again for all.

• 1 month later...

If you drink kefir milk daily you do not even need to brew anything in advance.

Just keep a jar / bottle in the fridge and drink it when you want. 24 hours in a fridge is enough to get kefir the next day. And if it stays longer it's ok also.

I wonder why people need to explain again and again something so simple. Maybe some people gave up drinking because they were not smart enough to brew it easily ? Nothing to plan, nothing to do, keep it in the fridge and add new milk when you drink some.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2020 at 11:20 AM, simon43 said:

I bought my kefir grains in Soi 4 Nana Plaza (1) about 3 years ago, took them to Myanmar and made kefir milk on a daily basis.

Now I'm in north Laos, still using the same kefir grains for my daily drink, (of course, those grains have multiplied umpteen times over!).

hello, how much do you drink everyday please ? and is it sour ? thank you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gamesgplayemail said:

hello, how much do you drink everyday please ? and is it sour ? thank you.

I drink a glass every day, and yes - it is sour!!  ????

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I drink a glass every day, and yes - it is sour!!  ????

so you just keep it in the fridge and even with cold temperature it is good to drink the next day ?

do you think that it really helps for stomach when aging ?

thank you.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, gamesgplayemail said:

so you just keep it in the fridge and even with cold temperature it is good to drink the next day ?

do you think that it really helps for stomach when aging ?

thank you.

I leave my kefir milk outside the fridge, and drink it all the next say after the grains have thickened the milk.  Occasionally I store excess kefir milk in the fridge for a couple of day.

As far as helping the stomach, being a science teacher, I should more accurately say that it helps the small intestine to efficiently perform its process of energy and nutrient transfer from digested food inside the gut and to the adjacent blood capillaries.  Your gut needs 'good' bacteria to operate correctly, and kefir milk has those good bacteria.

There is also a lot of scientific evidence that a healthy gut improves one's overall immune system.  I make no claim that drinking kefir milk will protect you against Wuhan Flu, other than that having a healthy immune system does provide increased protection against pathogens.  But I have not been ill in any way for the past few years, no colds, flu, stomach problems etc etc, and I live in less than optimum sanitary conditions in Burma and Laos ????

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

hello, my kefir is more liquid than creamy and I do not like to drink creamy kefir, is it wrong ?

i brew it mostly in the fridge and keep it out only few hours a day.

Everybody is talking about creamy kefir as if it was a rule, but i think liquid kefir is easier to drink, just wondering if it contains all the bacteria ?

of course it is sour (more than some of the creamy kefir that i tried) and I am ok with it.

please confirm that it is ok to drink liquid kefir ? thank you so much.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 11:28 AM, simon43 said:

I leave my kefir milk outside the fridge, and drink it all the next say after the grains have thickened the milk.  Occasionally I store excess kefir milk in the fridge for a couple of day.

As far as helping the stomach, being a science teacher, I should more accurately say that it helps the small intestine to efficiently perform its process of energy and nutrient transfer from digested food inside the gut and to the adjacent blood capillaries.  Your gut needs 'good' bacteria to operate correctly, and kefir milk has those good bacteria.

There is also a lot of scientific evidence that a healthy gut improves one's overall immune system.  I make no claim that drinking kefir milk will protect you against Wuhan Flu, other than that having a healthy immune system does provide increased protection against pathogens.  But I have not been ill in any way for the past few years, no colds, flu, stomach problems etc etc, and I live in less than optimum sanitary conditions in Burma and Laos ????

You say you haven't been sick for the past few years. Does this coincide with your kefir consumption. Were you always sick before you started drinking it?

I can most definitely say my digestive system works far better, and bowel evacuations last seconds rather than minutes. I cannot make any comment about colds or flu protection as occasionally I will get it, but not often. I can say that if I do have an upset stomach from something I've eaten, a few glasses of kefir quickly fixes it.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, tropo said:

The reason why people need to explain again and again is because people like you are giving out bogus information.

If you are adding kefir grains to cold milk, and keeping it in the refrigerator full time, you are not drinking kefir at all because it is impossible to brew it this way in the refrigerator. As stated in numerous posts above, the kefir will brew in the refrigerator if you have a large mass of kefir grains and you leave it there for weeks, but as also stated, the kefir you get this way is quite bitter and slimy compared to kefir brewed outside of the refrigerator. This indicates too much yeast action and not enough bacterial action. It's the bacteria that converts lactose to lactic acid, giving kefir the very sour taste it should have. For this to occur, temperatures above 15C are necessary.

What you are drinking is perhaps slightly soured milk at best.

The perfect kefir is thick and very, very sour. Nearly as sour as pure lemon juice. It should be hard to keep a straight face when drinking it. It takes some practice to get it right.

I disagree because you are wrong !

Who decided that kefir needs to be thick ? this is idiot.

If your milk with kefir grains is sour, it means that it it kefir milk ! nothing else !

Yes my kefir is also not creamy but it is very sour and it is the proof that kefir has been eating lactose ! try to prove otherwise ?

My kefir is always in the fridge and it's not bitter at all, this is pure BS.

yes my kefir is very very sour by keeping it in the fridge and adding new milk everyday, and only low fat milk.

You should try to think instead of repeating what is written and repeated by idiots all over the world ! Did they experience anything ? of course not !

Most people are just like you, drinking daily kefir since 10 years and not even knowing this !

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 1:59 PM, samtab said:

hello, my kefir is more liquid than creamy and I do not like to drink creamy kefir, is it wrong ?

i brew it mostly in the fridge and keep it out only few hours a day.

Everybody is talking about creamy kefir as if it was a rule, but i think liquid kefir is easier to drink, just wondering if it contains all the bacteria ?

of course it is sour (more than some of the creamy kefir that i tried) and I am ok with it.

please confirm that it is ok to drink liquid kefir ? thank you so much.

yes if it is sour it contains the bacteria, SURELY !

• Like 1