Does Anyone Use Or Need Kefir Grains?

tropo

Hi Rochell,

I'm not sure how to use the website but hope this message gets to you. Are your keffir grains, milk or water keffir? I'd like water keffir and need some supplies as I knocked the ones I had down. As I have a knee injury and am in a wheelchair and crutches. Living in Sukumvit area.

Tanya

I'm in central Bangkok and would be very grateful for some milk Kefir grains. If there is anybody local who is willing to share I would be happy to meet anywhere and anytime that is convenient for you. Otherwise, if you have some grains you could post, I would be happy to pay for postage and for the trouble!

Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone.

I leave in Koh phangan and I would love to use kefir milk grains if some one

Wants to share some. I am new in this, and I want to thank Tropo and every one hear

For the great info you give to all of us. I have no problem to buy the grains and pay

Post fees. if some one wants to contact me, please PM

I thank you in advance.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, I'd like to beg, borrow or buy some kefir grains. I'm in the Asok area of Bangkok and could meet or pay shipping.

I just got David Asher's book The Art of Natural Cheesemaking and he uses milk kefir grains as a starter for several cheeses that I would like to try.

If you can help please contact me at <email removed as per forum rules, use PM function to contact>

Thanks

Edited by metisdead
17) Do not post phone numbers, email addresses, business names, or web/Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses in posts or signatures. Web addresses to non-commercial sites/blogs, or Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses, may be posted in a member's profile

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone. Well i have a problem with my grains. Ive been making superb kefir for a long time now but suddenly the grains are producing foul-smelling really sour stuff that is undrinkable. I dont think i have done anything unusual to the grains and they are still multiplying.

Do i throw them, and ask someone if they could kindly let me have some new spare ones? Or is there something i can do to get them back? Ive tried everything i can think of but the kefir is vile now.

Any help would be really appreciated. Im really missing my daily dose!!

Hi everyone. Well i have a problem with my grains. Ive been making superb kefir for a long time now but suddenly the grains are producing foul-smelling really sour stuff that is undrinkable. I dont think i have done anything unusual to the grains and they are still multiplying.

Do i throw them, and ask someone if they could kindly let me have some new spare ones? Or is there something i can do to get them back? Ive tried everything i can think of but the kefir is vile now.

Any help would be really appreciated. Im really missing my daily dose!!

I've had many reports of grains slowly dying and becoming unproductive... even after long periods of time. My theory is that continued brewing in a hot climate eventually kills them. If your grains are no longer digesting the lactose in the milk, the milk is probably just going off, which would not be pleasant after a day or two at room temperature.

The guy who owns Mama Kefir and produces large quantities of drinking kefir came to me for more grains after a good year as he claimed they weren't good any more. After examining his brewing room I came to the conclusion the temperatures were too hot as he had lots of refrigerators in the room giving off a lot of heat.

I suggest the intermittent brewing method I have outlined already in this thread. Just read back to find the info as I don't want to keep repeating myself. If you don't want to use this method, then make an effort to keep the brewing temperatures lower with air conditioning or coolers etc.

and...KEEP FROZEN KEFIR GRAIN STOCK FOR EMERGENCIES!!!!!!

• Like 1

Tropo, they are still digesting the lactose, but i am guessing some foreign yeast or something has gained hold. And yes, i am an idiot for not having any frozen, despite reading all the advice before.

Wintergreen, i have never heard of trying salt and sugar.

• Like 1

Tropo, they are still digesting the lactose, but i am guessing some foreign yeast or something has gained hold. And yes, i am an idiot for not having any frozen, despite reading all the advice before.

Wintergreen, i have never heard of trying salt and sugar.

Perhaps something is digesting the lactose, but maybe not the kefir grains, which may have already died from heat exhaustion. How long have you been brewing? What are your room temperatures?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello! I'm looking to buy some grains for Milk or Water/Coconut.

My supply didn't survive deep hibernation.

I'm in BKK - Please contact me at [email protected] or by phone 084-694-5474

TIA!!! smile.png

mwmcgo

I am looking for them too. Please message or call me at +66823072138 Alex Leow if you can spare me.

Thanks in Advance

• 4 weeks later...

hi all, anbody have any spare grains around pattaya area? also I have been making kombucha for a while now with great results, can recommend anyone to try this for great pro-biotics to, and easy to make, thanks paul

• 11 months later...

Bringing this thread back to life :)

I'm over in Bangkok on a visit from Naypyidaw.  I've arranged with the Kefir lady on Sukhumvit Soi 4 to bring some kefir milk grains back to Myanmar so that I can start to produce my own kefir.

Tropo, I have 1 question.  You mention that overheating (ie typical Thialand/Myanmar room temperature) can gradually kill off the kefir grains, and you suggest that 22 C is a good temperature for the fermentation process.

Well, this could be a problem for me to consider.  I will produce kefir in my hotel room (where I live long-term).  But during the daytime when I'm at work, I cannot leave the air-con on - the hotel cleaners will turn it off!  - But they don't switch off the electricity supply.

Any suggestions how to lower the temperature?  Perhaps I could buy a small fan at Pantip Plaza to try to lower the room ambient temperature?

5 hours ago, simon43 said:

Bringing this thread back to life :)

I'm over in Bangkok on a visit from Naypyidaw.  I've arranged with the Kefir lady on Sukhumvit Soi 4 to bring some kefir milk grains back to Myanmar so that I can start to produce my own kefir.

Tropo, I have 1 question.  You mention that overheating (ie typical Thialand/Myanmar room temperature) can gradually kill off the kefir grains, and you suggest that 22 C is a good temperature for the fermentation process.

Well, this could be a problem for me to consider.  I will produce kefir in my hotel room (where I live long-term).  But during the daytime when I'm at work, I cannot leave the air-con on - the hotel cleaners will turn it off!  - But they don't switch off the electricity supply.

Any suggestions how to lower the temperature?  Perhaps I could buy a small fan at Pantip Plaza to try to lower the room ambient temperature?

That would be a terrible waste of electricity. Do you have a freezer? If so, get a cooler with freeze bricks. Buy 2 of the freeze bricks and when one has melted, change with the other one from the freezer. That will keep it at a nice temperature over the whole day.

I always brew at room temperature, but I brew only once every 2 1/2 weeks. I brew 8 litres at a time, in a large bucket, then refrigerate the kefir grains with milk along with my 8L of drinking kefir. I would suggest you start a program like this. It will take time for your kefir grain stock to increase and as it increases, brew larger amounts. For example, start with 250ml of milk and slowly increase to 1000ml over a week or so. Let the grains rest in the fridge in between brews for a day or so. By the time you are able to brew 1L, then you'll have enough drinking kefir to last 3 or 4 days... and then continue to increase until you can brew 2 litres - then 3 litres and so on. My kefir grain stock is around 0.5kg, and that's plenty to brew 8 L in just under 24 hours at room temperature.

When I started this method I noticed an improvement in the quality and health of the kefir grains. I stumbled upon this method purely by accident, through experimentation, and have been using it for about 4 years already. I've never heard of anyone else using this method, but it's surely the best solution for brewing year round in tropical climates.

In addition to alleviating heat stress of the grains, it produces a better quality of drinking kefir through secondary fermentation in the refrigerator. You will notice it becoming sourer over time.

I don't throw out the milk that the grains sit in for 2 - 3 weeks in the refrigerator. I drink that too. After 2 weeks you can taste the alcohol in it and it's more bitter but quite fine to drink... and perhaps even more potent and healthier.

If you need any further clarification of this method, don't hesitate to ask. We can continue to discuss it here as a lot of people read this thread and will find the information very useful.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

Do you have a freezer? If so, get a cooler with freeze bricks. Buy 2 of the freeze bricks and when one has melted, change with the other one from the freezer.

Ah, you mean like a plastic drinks cooler box?  Will the temperature not be TOO low?  (I think too cold is not as risky as too hot....)

Also, when I met with the soi 4 lady, she also told me that she has 'jun' available, for making jun green tea with honey.  Have you (or other readers of this thread) tried jun? - either to drink or to make?  

Update with another question:

I don't throw out the milk that the grains sit in for 2 - 3 weeks in the refrigerator. I drink that too. After 2 weeks you can taste the alcohol in it and it's more bitter but quite fine to drink... and perhaps even more potent and healthier.

That raises a question.  How do you know when your kefir milk has 'gone off'?  After all, it has a tart, sour taste.  Do you consider it drinkable until it starts going green and furry and moving of its own accord?!

Edited by simon43

53 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Ah, you mean like a plastic drinks cooler box?  Will the temperature not be TOO low?  (I think too cold is not as risky as too hot....)

Also, when I met with the soi 4 lady, she also told me that she has 'jun' available, for making jun green tea with honey.  Have you (or other readers of this thread) tried jun? - either to drink or to make?  

Update with another question:

That raises a question.  How do you know when your kefir milk has 'gone off'?  After all, it has a tart, sour taste.  Do you consider it drinkable until it starts going green and furry and moving of its own accord?!

No, cold does no harm... it merely slows down the fermentation process. You can even make kefir in the fridge, it just takes a while. Obviously if you use a cooler and ice bricks the temperature will change as the ice bricks melt.

I don't know how long the kefir is drinkable. Perhaps you can do an experiment to find out and then report back. I'm trying to help you and don't appreciate facetious comments. I already gave you my time frame - if you plan to go over 3 weeks, no problem - report back your findings. Over 3 weeks the kefir milk improves as it matures. I wouldn't be surprised if it stays good for 2 months or longer. Use your eyes and your taste buds. After drinking this for 6 years I know how it should taste.

Edited by tropo
  • Sad 1

LoL, I had some problems to get my newly-purchased kefir grains through customs at Swampy, (I'm taking the grains back to Myanmar to make my own kefir milk).

My bag was searched and the customs officers were very suspicious of the kefir in a sealed bag.  Although there was less than 100cc of liquid, they called their supervisor over who questioned me at length as to what the stuff was.  I explained that it was to make kefir milk, but when they look confused, I said it was to make probiotic yogurt, which was very healthy for your stomach.

'Ah, you have a stomach illness and this is medicine?'

'No.... er.....er.... yes!!, absolutely correct, it is special medicine for my bad stomach'

'OK, no problem, next time please bring your subscription.....' :smile:

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, simon43 said:

LoL, I had some problems to get my newly-purchased kefir grains through customs at Swampy, (I'm taking the grains back to Myanmar to make my own kefir milk).

My bag was searched and the customs officers were very suspicious of the kefir in a sealed bag.  Although there was less than 100cc of liquid, they called their supervisor over who questioned me at length as to what the stuff was.  I explained that it was to make kefir milk, but when they look confused, I said it was to make probiotic yogurt, which was very healthy for your stomach.

'Ah, you have a stomach illness and this is medicine?'

'No.... er.....er.... yes!!, absolutely correct, it is special medicine for my bad stomach'

'OK, no problem, next time please bring your subscription.....' :smile:

I always pack my grains in my check in luggage when I travel to the Philippines with them. You don't need milk - just pack them in a ziploc bag.

I wouldn't get them into Australia, as they won't accept any milk products no matter what I said they were for. If you don't declare and you're searched, you'll be fined. I once got fined for accidentally "sneaking in" overripe bananas I'd forgottten I had LOL.

• Like 1