Does Anyone Use Or Need Kefir Grains?

tropo

Hello! I'm looking to buy some grains for Milk or Water/Coconut.

My supply didn't survive deep hibernation.

I'm in BKK - Please contact me at [email protected] or by phone 084-694-5474

TIA!!! smile.png

mwmcgo

I'm sorry to hear about your kefir's demise. What type of hibernation did you subject them too and how long? I've successfully (and easily) revived kefir grains which were frozen for over 2 years.

My advice would be don't give up on your kefir grains too quickly.

It took me over a week to reactivate my last frozen batch.

Use a very small amount of milk to kefir ratio when trying to reactivate.

Interesting. It took mine a day to reactivate and I'm sure they were frozen a lot longer than yours. I didn't use much milk.

I planned a short holiday but extended to over 2 months. It will be interesting to see how my grains fared after sitting in milk in the fridge for over 9 weeks. I'm not too concerned as I have frozen backup and grains that I used for my holiday that I will repatriate. I'm quietly confident that they will still be ok.

Edited by tropo

I washed, rinsed, and then dehydrated the grains - and then froze in tissue paper in ziplock.

... I think I might have dehydrated too long...

But- hey! I got one offer for water grains right away - would still love to get milk grains - anyone?

See my direct contact info in thread!
Tx.

My advice would be don't give up on your kefir grains too quickly.

It took me over a week to reactivate my last frozen batch.

Use a very small amount of milk to kefir ratio when trying to reactivate.

Interesting. It took mine a day to reactivate and I'm sure they were frozen a lot longer than yours. I didn't use much milk.

I planned a short holiday but extended to over 2 months. It will be interesting to see how my grains fared after sitting in milk in the fridge for over 9 weeks. I'm not too concerned as I have frozen backup and grains that I used for my holiday that I will repatriate. I'm quietly confident that they will still be ok.

I think I used too much milk that is why I had the problem.

Once I reduced the ratio to 3 to 1 milk to grains no problems it came out perfectly.

I washed, rinsed, and then dehydrated the grains - and then froze in tissue paper in ziplock.

But- hey! I got one offer for water grains right away - would still love to get milk grains - anyone?

Tx.

You combined 2 different processes. When you freeze grains you don't dehydrate them. Just towel try them and freeze. Dehydrated grains are not to be frozen.

Tx.

You combined 2 different processes. When you freeze grains you don't dehydrate them. Just towel try them and freeze. Dehydrated grains are not to be frozen.

I didn't do anything with my grains when I froze them.

I didn't rinse or towel dry them.

Does it make a difference?

Tx.

I didn't do anything with my grains when I froze them.

I didn't rinse or towel dry them.

Does it make a difference?

I have no idea. I was merely following Dom's advice on freezing them - even used the milk powder, so when I defrosted them I rinsed off the milk powder before I put them in milk.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems someone selling these at one of the farmers markets like one at K Village would be great place . Do not understand why I can not just go and buy these so I can use in the coconut kefir I make daily ? Seems strange to have to call and meet up with someone why is on this forum or eBay ? You can buy so many things at farmers market like this and health food stores why is this product so elusive ❓

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My kefir is getting so thick now it is almost like yogurt.

Now the problem is that it is so strong that I am having loose bowel movements.

I can scale back and make it weaker but I am wondering if anyone else has the same experience when their kefir gets really thick and what does it mean?

I can scale back and make it weaker but I am wondering if anyone else has the same experience when their kefir gets really thick and what does it mean?

If you leave it longer and let more kefir whey build up (the yellowish clear fluid) it should make your kefir thinner. I don't notice any difference with bowel movements whether it is thick or thin. I was getting very thick kefir myself recently using UHT milk, but it seems to cycle thicker and thinner over time.

Perhaps taking a weekly break will help. Dom seems to think that taking time off is a good idea.

Seems someone selling these at one of the farmers markets like one at K Village would be great place . Do not understand why I can not just go and buy these so I can use in the coconut kefir I make daily ? Seems strange to have to call and meet up with someone why is on this forum or eBay ? You can buy so many things at farmers market like this and health food stores why is this product so elusive ❓

The main reason is that people feel kefir grains should be free and shared around - it's an old tradition. There isn't much commercial benefit in selling them because you'd probably lose money as it takes a long time to build up your kefir supply and a lot of milk is required. Also, once people have their own grains they never have to buy again.

• Like 1

I wish I had that problem. I'm trying to use kefir to improve digestion,but so far my water kefir hasn't had noticeable effects.

If anyone has milk kefir grains to spare contact me at [email protected] phone number is 0614827376 (last time I had buttermilk it worked great, hoping this has a similar effect). I'm living in Bangkok, near Ma Chit

Is there still kefir grains available?

I have never heard of anyone in Pattaya with water kefir grains. I do remember someone mentioning that they found water kefir grains in Chiang Mai and Bangkok.... May I suggest you read through the whole thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone in Chiang Mai interested in some kefir grains? I bought some in Australia recently, and they've grown nicely, and survived the trip to Chiang Mai and doing very well.

I did contact someone here about this, but have lost his user name.

I'm using pastuerised full-cream milk, from the thai-Danish dairy opposite the Zoo.

Hi Masuk - I realise this is a very old thread but am looking for water kefir grains in Chiang Mai if possible. Do you have any info to help a fellow kefir lover? Thank you very much!

Is there still kefir grains available?

I have never heard of anyone in Pattaya with water kefir grains. I do remember someone mentioning that they found water kefir grains in Chiang Mai and Bangkok.... May I suggest you read through the whole thread.

Hi there - looking for water kefir grains in Chiang Mai. Do you have additional info on where they can be found in CM? Thanks very much in advance.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I need kefir grains as I have not been moving much this year due to sport injury and suffering indigestion. Am in Bangkok. I'm a newcomer to this site and am trying to find my way around. Just in case, my email is < email removed as per forum rules, use PM function instead >

Edited by metisdead