Does Anyone Use Or Need Kefir Grains?

tropo

When you are reactivating frozen kefir grains don't give up too quickly.

It took me a week this time to reactivate my kefir grains.

I think it also makes a difference what kind of milk you use.

When I switched to the full cream organic NZ milk things moved quickly.

I almost threw out my grains in despair but these grains are hardy so give them a chance to do their job.

I think I also made the mistake of putting too much milk in when trying to reactivate it is better according to Doms site to put a 3 to 1 ratio of milk to kefir.

I didn't know you were reactivating frozen grains. I reactivated frozen grains in one day - grains that were frozen for 2 years. These grains are amazingly resilient. I would suggest resting them for days at a time in the fridge when the weather gets hot. They seem to do well with a vacation.biggrin.png

I really don't think it matters what milk you use.The grains are looking for lactose to digest - everything else is incidental. They'll be more than happy with reconstituted powered milk too. I'm making kefir just fine in the Philippines right now with UHT milk of all descriptions. I've even used strawberry and chocolate flavoured milk.

Volume of milk to grain ratio makes a big difference of course. You can't expect to make a litre of kefir with a couple of tablespoons of kefir grains.

The organic milk definitely tastes much better.

I think it was the amount I was using that caused the reactivation problems too much milk.

I don't have many grains left as I gave half away so what is the best way to quickly increase the amount of grains?

Edited by Tolley

When you are reactivating frozen kefir grains don't give up too quickly.

It took me a week this time to reactivate my kefir grains.

I think it also makes a difference what kind of milk you use.

When I switched to the full cream organic NZ milk things moved quickly.

I almost threw out my grains in despair but these grains are hardy so give them a chance to do their job.

I think I also made the mistake of putting too much milk in when trying to reactivate it is better according to Doms site to put a 3 to 1 ratio of milk to kefir.

I didn't know you were reactivating frozen grains. I reactivated frozen grains in one day - grains that were frozen for 2 years. These grains are amazingly resilient. I would suggest resting them for days at a time in the fridge when the weather gets hot. They seem to do well with a vacation.biggrin.png

I really don't think it matters what milk you use.The grains are looking for lactose to digest - everything else is incidental. They'll be more than happy with reconstituted powered milk too. I'm making kefir just fine in the Philippines right now with UHT milk of all descriptions. I've even used strawberry and chocolate flavoured milk.

Volume of milk to grain ratio makes a big difference of course. You can't expect to make a litre of kefir with a couple of tablespoons of kefir grains.

The organic milk definitely tastes much better.

I think it was the amount I was using that caused the reactivation problems too much milk.

I don't have many grains left as I gave half away so what is the best way to quickly increase the amount of grains?

I believe adding sugar will increase the growth exponentially. I discovered this when I used the flavoured milk, which of course is loaded with sugar... but with regular milk the only way to increase your grains will be to make more kefir. You don't have to worry about sugar content as that will be digested by the grains.

When you stop the fermentation process has the biggest influence on flavour (consistency and sourness). Leave it too long and you end up with very liquid, sour kefir. I don't care either way, but I finally managed to get my wife to drink it, and she's quite particular about how it tastes (not too sour). Surprisingly the kefir I making with the UTH milk is some of the best tasting, smoothest I've made.

• Like 1

How long can I store dired kefir grains at room temperature?

Also, has any one tired making a kefir/yogurt combination?

A long time I'd say. If you've dried them correctly they should last years. Frozen kefir grains will also last years.

Some of my batches of kefir are nearly as thick at yogurt. If you must have a kefir yogurt combination (why?), mix them together after you've made them.

• Like 1

I dont like how it seperated into curds and whey. Its hard to filter. I tend to pour out the whey and eat the cheese part of the kefir.

How long can i ferment the kefir for? They say only 1-2 days. Will the kefir grains die after fermenting for several days?

You need to do some research first as everything has been covered earlier on this thread and links given.

If you eat the "cheese part" you're eating the kefir grains. You don't do that because once you've eaten all your grains your kefir making days will soon be over.

It's very easy to filter. You mix it well with a spoon before you strain.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

I injured myself with kefir. Seriously. It gets so sour that it seems like I'm drinking straight vinegar. Yesterday I drank about 2 cups of kefir after only one day of fermentation and it felt like somebody stuck a knife in my liver. I'm still in pain. I'm going to try adding some sugar to see if that helps. Also, my kefir grains don't grow. Maybe they were bred that way.

I injured myself with kefir. Seriously. It gets so sour that it seems like I'm drinking straight vinegar. Yesterday I drank about 2 cups of kefir after only one day of fermentation and it felt like somebody stuck a knife in my liver. I'm still in pain. I'm going to try adding some sugar to see if that helps. Also, my kefir grains don't grow. Maybe they were bred that way.

Kefir is pretty sour, no doubt about it.. The longer you let it brew the more sour it becomes as the kefir grains digest the milk sugar. Perhaps you left it too long and the bacteria in the kefir grains produced too much vinegar. (From Dom's site http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html. he states: "The biological structure or each grain [which I feel can be referred to as a bio-matrix] is created through a dynamic association symbiosis between a vast mixture of friendly Lactic acid bacteria [LAB], vinegar-producing bacteria and yeasts strains.")

To make the best tasting, smoothest kefir you should stop the brewing process once you see some separation (yellowish fluid - the kefir whey) on the sides of the glass container. How long that takes depends on the ratio of milk to kefir grains. If you wait for too much separation the resultant kefir is not very pleasant to drink although it doesn't seem to cause any digestive disturbances.

Continuous brewing in temperatures above 30°C seems to cause damage to the kefir grains and eventually kill them (according to reports from some people in Thailand who brewed with my kefir grains). Considering the optimal brewing temperature is reportedly in the 12°C to 22°C range, Thailand's room temperatures are not optimal for kefir brewing. I've never had any kefir grains die because I've always taken steps to keep the brewing temperature lower than room temperature. If you must brew at 30°C or above I would suggest that you give the grains a rest in the refrigerator once or twice a week. You'll find that the brewing process still takes place in the refrigerator.

Kefir is pretty sour, no doubt about it.. The longer you let it brew the more sour it becomes as the kefir grains digest the milk sugar. Perhaps you left it too long and the bacteria in the kefir grains produced too much vinegar. (From Dom's site http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html. he states: "The biological structure or each grain [which I feel can be referred to as a bio-matrix] is created through a dynamic association symbiosis between a vast mixture of friendly Lactic acid bacteria [LAB], vinegar-producing bacteria and yeasts strains.")

To make the best tasting, smoothest kefir you should stop the brewing process once you see some separation (yellowish fluid - the kefir whey) on the sides of the glass container. How long that takes depends on the ratio of milk to kefir grains. If you wait for too much separation the resultant kefir is not very pleasant to drink although it doesn't seem to cause any digestive disturbances.

Continuous brewing in temperatures above 30°C seems to cause damage to the kefir grains and eventually kill them (according to reports from some people in Thailand who brewed with my kefir grains). Considering the optimal brewing temperature is reportedly in the 12°C to 22°C range, Thailand's room temperatures are not optimal for kefir brewing. I've never had any kefir grains die because I've always taken steps to keep the brewing temperature lower than room temperature. If you must brew at 30°C or above I would suggest that you give the grains a rest in the refrigerator once or twice a week. You'll find that the brewing process still takes place in the refrigerator.

I usually leave them at room temp for 24 hours and then in the fridge for 24 hours.

I like my kefir thick and sour.

Never ever been sick or had pain from kefir. You might get a bit of loose bowel movement if you leave it ferment too long but that should really be about all.

• Like 1

I usually leave them at room temp for 24 hours and then in the fridge for 24 hours.

Never ever been sick or had pain from kefir. You might get a bit of loose bowel movement if you leave it ferment too long but that should really be about all.

Right now I'm brewing in the Philippines with UHT full cream milk. It makes the thickest, smoothest kefir I've ever made and very sour as usual.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

Right now I'm brewing in the Philippines with UHT full cream milk. It makes the thickest, smoothest kefir I've ever made and very sour as usual.

I am using the full cream organic NZ milk I get from Villa....much better taste than any of the local milks.

"The biological structure or each grain [which I feel can be referred to as a bio-matrix] is created through a dynamic association symbiosis between a vast mixture of friendly Lactic acid bacteria [LAB], vinegar-producing bacteria and yeasts strains.")

Anyone with even the slightest knowledge of science would roll around on the floor with laughter at this!

It is no more than gobbledygook for the gullible.

"The biological structure or each grain [which I feel can be referred to as a bio-matrix] is created through a dynamic association symbiosis between a vast mixture of friendly Lactic acid bacteria [LAB], vinegar-producing bacteria and yeasts strains.")

Anyone with even the slightest knowledge of science would roll around on the floor with laughter at this!

All your previous offering have been deleted for obvious reasons. Your replies are nothing more than the ramblings of a troll - so allow me to ask you politely one more time..... please go away.

• Like 2

All your previous offering have been deleted for obvious reasons. Your replies are nothing more than the ramblings of a troll - so allow me to ask you politely one more time..... please go away.

All the posts I've made are based of scientific knowledge and accepted theory - not mumbo-jumbo. Any dietary benefits special to kefir are a myth, totally unsubstantiated by any scientific peer-reviewed research.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Haha 1

All the posts I've made are based of scientific knowledge and accepted theory - not mumbo-jumbo. Any dietary benefits special to kefir are a myth, totally unsubstantiated by any scientific peer-reviewed research.

Absolute gobbledygook. You offered no scientific knowledge in any of your posts. You're merely here to troll. The reason why you won't find peer-reviewed research on kefir is because there's no commercial interest in it and never will be because once you have your grains you have free kefir for life (apart from the price of the milk or water). There is plenty of research on the benefits of probiotics and kefir is the best of them all.

Go stick your head back in the sand. No one is forcing kefir down your throat.

• Like 1

Absolute gobbledygook. You offered no scientific knowledge in any of your posts. You're merely here to troll. The reason why you won't find peer-reviewed research on kefir is because there's no commercial interest in it and never will be because once you have your grains you have free kefir for life (apart from the price of the milk or water). There is plenty of research on the benefits of probiotics and kefir is the best of them all.

Go stick your head back in the sand. No one is forcing kefir down your throat.

Don't waste your time with the troll.

He has been trying to derail this thread many times already because he is a small minded petty individual.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am new to Thaivisa and have not worked out how to post a new comment yet, so sorry if this is in the wrong place BUT I have recently relocated to Chiang Mai and I have Kefir seeds available if anyone local wants some. I am in the San Sai area. Also you can pick up a free culture from the Aden shop next to the warmup Pub in central Chiang Mai. Just PM me if you want some grains.

Hi, I've seen kefir in bottles at Foodmart Jomtien, corner Thappraya /thepprasit, where the bus for the airport stops.( opposite Pan pan restaurant)Also at Lynda's restaurant just a bit further down the road, left, I've seen a billboard outside saying " home made Keffir for sale". I think it's becoming well known . I haven't bought it yet, as I vie seen on the Internet that it can cause constipation,and as I have that at the moment due to a diverticulitis problem,I think I'd better wait. Anyone know a bit more about it and constipation , I'd be happy to know. Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi, I've seen kefir in bottles at Foodmart Jomtien, corner Thappraya /thepprasit, where the bus for the airport stops.( opposite Pan pan restaurant)Also at Lynda's restaurant just a bit further down the road, left, I've seen a billboard outside saying " home made Keffir for sale". I think it's becoming well known . I haven't bought it yet, as I vie seen on the Internet that it can cause constipation,and as I have that at the moment due to a diverticulitis problem,I think I'd better wait. Anyone know a bit more about it and constipation , I'd be happy to know. Thanks.

In my 3 1/2 years of drinking kefir I've noticed that it tends to loosen the stools (increase peristalsis). You'll probably be able to trash the magazine rack in the bathroom as bowl movements will take less than a minute. In reality I believe kefir consumption normalizes the bowls. Many people who start drinking it go through a break-in period. I think it is important to start off slowly and then increase consumption gradually. For people with digestive disturbances I'd recommend at least 2 glasses per day. My maintenance dose is one glass (250 ml) first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. It is best to let it get to where it needs to be without obstruction of food.

Bottom line - start off slowly and see what happens. If your diet is low in fiber you could still end up constipated despite drinking kefir.

Edited by tropo

12) You will not spam in any way, shape or form, through mail, PM, forum post, or any other method. Thaivisa.com considers any method of actively, or passively promoting a commercial entity, that you have an interest in, including websites or personal blogs, and is not a sponsor, as spamming. (Including third parties acting on your behalf.) This is to ensure the integrity of reviews, and advice given to/by our members. Spamming is using the forums to advertise or promote a business for commercial gain.

Posts in violation of the above have been removed.