Thinking Of Coming Back

tonika

Used to live in Issan a good few years back. (Only been back once since). I am thinking of coming back to stay, permanently. Obviously, the place must have changed a great deal. Would appreciate any views on how ' Farangs' are finding life in general in Issan these days, financially or otherwise.

Can you be more specific? Will you be residing in a city or village?

Thanks for your question.

Regards,

Keoki

Wife, would like to stay in the family village and run a business (near Bungkan). I found village life to quite when I lived there before. I'm proposing to move to Udon Thani. She reluctantly agrees. But, to help me make my mind up, I would like to get the opinions of fellow expats, on how they are finding all aspects of life in Thailand, at present. Both in the city and villages.

Regards,

Keoki

Wife, would like to stay in the family village and run a business (near Bungkan). I found village life to quite when I lived there before. I'm proposing to move to Udon Thani. She reluctantly agrees. But, to help me make my mind up, I would like to get the opinions of fellow expats, on how they are finding all aspects of life in Thailand, at present. Both in the city and villages.

IF you havent bought land, havent built a house, arent giving your wife a salary every month, arent giving money to mama every month, arent funding the brothers yaba habit or the sisters gambling addiction or paying bills for sick buffalos, it may well be worth it.

Let the wife fund from her own money her business, when the bone idle family members get fed up of working instead of sitting on their ass everyday eating som tam and watching tv soaps the business may stand a chance.

My best advice, get as much distance as you can between yourself and the village.

I've always found in life that when I go back to a place, it is always less pleasant than I remembered it. Maybe that's just me!

I can remember both good and bad experiences when I last lived in Issan. But this time it could be longer than the three and a half years I spent before. Anyway,thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.

Lot's more info required here.....Not a life story.....But lot's?

Been married to my wife for about 18 years. Lived in both Issan (still have a house and business there) and the UK. Due to retire April/May 2012. Would like your views on how things are there at present.

Wherever you go life's what you make of it. 9 years here for me and I don't want to move --- ever! Average sized town with great people, food & views. Just wish it would stop raining for a few days.

Your reply has cheered me up. Thanks again.

Regards,

Keoki

IF you havent bought land, havent built a house, arent giving your wife a salary every month, arent giving money to mama every month, arent funding the brothers yaba habit or the sisters gambling addiction or paying bills for sick buffalos, it may well be worth it.

Let the wife fund from her own money her business, when the bone idle family members get fed up of working instead of sitting on their ass everyday eating som tam and watching tv soaps the business may stand a chance.

My best advice, get as much distance as you can between yourself and the village.

Wherever you go life's what you make of it. 9 years here for me and I don't want to move --- ever! Average sized town with great people, food & views. Just wish it would stop raining for a few days.

I have visited Buengkan twice in the past 4 months. As you'll already know, it is the new province now detached from Nong Khai. As such, they appear to be throwing loadsa cash into the area; new hotels, stores, restaurants etc. Seems to be plenty of activity along the river facing Laos. One thing which brought a smile to my face. Me and the missus were reading notices outside the new Immigtaion Office and staff came across to politely ask if they could help. I also know a German guy who does his 90 day check there and he says the staff are great -- never heard that before about Immigration Offices along the river. It is quietish; but I would personally prefer there to Udon or Nong Khai. Shame you are already too close to the family though.

The first thing you will notice is the amount of activity (particularly building) that has taken place and is still happening. Thanks to Thaksin Isaan has really been awakened after years of stagnation. The price of land has rocketed. Day to day living is more expensive than it was but is still much cheaper than Bangkok. There are a lot more farangs around than there used to be.

Suggest before you plunge into things, start buying up things etc. you rent a place for a while see how you like it. Best of luck to you. Isaan is great.

The first thing you will notice is the amount of activity (particularly building) that has taken place and is still happening. Thanks to Thaksin Isaan has really been awakened after years of stagnation.

Err... Barry, all the building work going on has been a continuous process in the seven years that I have been here. It didn't come to a sudden stop in 2006 and then move back in to top gear last week.

The first thing you will notice is the amount of activity (particularly building) that has taken place and is still happening. Thanks to Thaksin Isaan has really been awakened after years of stagnation.

Err... Barry, all the building work going on has been a continuous process in the seven years that I have been here. It didn't come to a sudden stop in 2006 and then move back in to top gear last week.

Thaksin was P.M. from 2001 to 2006. The building activity started after he became P.M. And the money started to flow. And the roads became black.And many things happened.And the building is still going on.Because there is more money here.And-----------

Thaksin was P.M. from 2001 to 2006. The building activity started after he became P.M. And the money started to flow. And the roads became black.And many things happened.And the building is still going on.Because there is more money here.And-----------

Exactly, it didn't grind to a halt in 2006, it carried on.

Exactly, it didn't grind to a halt in 2006, it carried on.

Barry never said it did. "taken place AND is still happening?, to quote him.

I have visited Buengkan twice in the past 4 months. As you'll already know, it is the new province now detached from Nong Khai. As such, they appear to be throwing loadsa cash into the area; new hotels, stores, restaurants etc. Seems to be plenty of activity along the river facing Laos. One thing which brought a smile to my face. Me and the missus were reading notices outside the new Immigtaion Office and staff came across to politely ask if they could help. I also know a German guy who does his 90 day check there and he says the staff are great -- never heard that before about Immigration Offices along the river. It is quietish; but I would personally prefer there to Udon or Nong Khai. Shame you are already too close to the family though.

You must have saw our business premises directly opposite from the the Immigration office, consists of a Solictors office (facing Laos), a small bar (facing Immigration Office) and someone new selling IT equipment in the top floor. But I agree with you, I would like to move to Udon. Oh! by the way should you be in Bungkan at the end of August and visit the bar I'll buy you a drink. As I'm coming for a short holiday.

The first thing you will notice is the amount of activity (particularly building) that has taken place and is still happening. Thanks to Thaksin Isaan has really been awakened after years of stagnation. The price of land has rocketed. Day to day living is more expensive than it was but is still much cheaper than Bangkok. There are a lot more farangs around than there used to be.

Suggest before you plunge into things, start buying up things etc. you rent a place for a while see how you like it. Best of luck to you. Isaan is great.

As I've said in another post ' we ' own the building premises across from the Immigration office ( luckily I bought it a few years back ). Anyway, same applies if you happen to be in the vicinity of the bar at the end of August, I'd like to buy you a drink. Thanks again for your reply.

Alas, it's a bit late in the day for that advice. Thanks again.

No worries matey, you are not alone, join the rest of us, we are all in the same boat. LOL.

Whew ! thank God for that. Makes me feel I'm among friends. If your free for a drink, I'll be in the bar opposite the Immigration Office in Bungkan end of August.

Yes I remember the Law Office as I wasted another 10 minutes of my life trying to explain the International " Scales of Justice' sign to my missus. Unfortunately, the street market was on along the river and a new pair of shoes was more important. Cannot make the trip in August as it will still be raining. We are booked into a German guy's resort near Bung Khla in October so a day trip through to your place and beyond is just enough. We plan to do the same trip next May then again in October when we have visitors from the UK. Suppose I must like driving the 212. Email me if you're here during those periods.

What a load of rubbish again :bah:

What's wrong with buying land and building a house to live in???

Don't you buy land and built a house in your country???

Giving the wife a salary???

What do you do then?

Control every baht you spend, she has to ask you to open your wallet for food, water, clothes, electricity?

I paid for the land, the house we live in, the food, the clothes, the water WE consume, we don't feed the family nor the kwais even if they don't get drunk on lao kao, don't gamble or consume yaba.

We don't run a business neither, no money to be made.

Why some posters behave like wanke_rs on this board is not beyond me though :whistling:

What a load of rubbish again :bah:

What's wrong with buying land and building a house to live in???

Don't you buy land and built a house in your country???

Giving the wife a salary???

What do you do then?

Control every baht you spend, she has to ask you to open your wallet for food, water, clothes, electricity?

I paid for the land, the house we live in, the food, the clothes, the water WE consume, we don't feed the family nor the kwais even if they don't get drunk on lao kao, don't gamble or consume yaba.

We don't run a business neither, no money to be made.

Why some posters behave like wanke_rs on this board is not beyond me though :whistling:

Taking your musings in order,

"What a load of rubbish again" you must live in a different Thailand to me.

"What's wrong with buying land and building a house to live in???" Nothing I agree 100%, nothing wrong with renting either, means my (our) money isnt tied up in property we cant leverage, at the moment better returns to made elsewhere IMHO.

"Don't you buy land and built a house in your country???" Yes have several in fact, all bought and paid for, all rented out and providing an income.

"Giving the wife a salary???" It may come as a surprise to you, there are plenty of guys giving their wife a salary, why is beyond me.

"What do you do then?

Control every baht you spend, she has to ask you to open your wallet for food, water, clothes, electricity?" No my wife has her own income and contributes to expenses, take it your wife also contributes.

"I paid for the land, the house we live in, the food, the clothes, the water WE consume, we don't feed the family nor the kwais even if they don't get drunk on lao kao, don't gamble or consume yaba." Sounds like you landed on your feet, or should I say your wife, does she actually contribute anything?

"We don't run a business neither, no money to be made." We actually agree on something.

"Why some posters behave like wanke_rs on this board is not beyond me though" see opening remarks, we must live in different countries.

Alas, it's a bit late in the day for that advice. Thanks again.

No worries matey, you are not alone, join the rest of us, we are all in the same boat. LOL.

No we're not. If we were, it would surely sink.

Edited by JRinger