Strong Baht Likely To Spur Foreign Travel

webfact

TRAVELLING

Strong baht likely to spur foreign travel

By Suchat Sritama

The Nation

30161689-01.jpg

More Thais are expected to travel overseas in the remaining months of this year to take advantage of the stronger baht.

World Planet International, a travel agency focusing on sports and events, predicts that more than 1,000 Thais will travel to Europe next year, mostly to England and Spain, to experience soccer fever. The key factor boosting outbound numbers is the appreciation of the baht against major currencies in Europe including the pound and euro.

Thai baht is now about 29.70 per US dollar.

Ticket prices for football matches have also not increased much because of the stagnant economy in the region.

Thai fans prefer to cheer for their favourite teams called the "Big Four" - Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool.

"Although the cost for sport packages is normally 15 per cent higher than for general packages, Thais still enjoy reasonable prices in visiting Europe," managing director Chatree Tangthienkul said yesterday.

As an authorised ticket agent for the Euro Cup and many other tournaments, the company expects to receive 290 customers from the Thai market this year and more than that next year.

The company also handles concerts and entertainment events abroad especially in South Korea and Japan.

It is now promoting Summer Sonic, a music festival to be held in Nagoya in southern Japan, Chatree said.

Charoen Wangananont, president of the Thai Travel Agents Association, said the group is organising the Thai International Travel Fair from August 18-21 at the Queen Sirikit National Convention Centre.

Hundreds of travel operators, airlines and related business will be offering overseas packages at discounts of 10-50 per cent, which are expected to draw a lot more local people.

The association believes that Thais will return to Japan after shifting to other countries in the wake of the earthquake and tsunami in March.

Thais should also take holidays to me-dium- and long-haul destinations such as the Middle East and Europe.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-02

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The government really need to crack down on this. These Thais are taking money out of the economy and putting it into foreigners hands.

Maybe they could do something at the airport like they do at the bank. You have to prove where your money came from when sending or spending it abroad. If it's money directly from a foreigner then you're allowed to leave. I think they could relax the rule for showing your work permit if you're a national.

The government really need to crack down on this. These Thais are taking money out of the economy and putting it into foreigners hands.

Maybe they could do something at the airport like they do at the bank. You have to prove where your money came from when sending or spending it abroad. If it's money directly from a foreigner then you're allowed to leave. I think they could relax the rule for showing your work permit if you're a national.

I hope this is sarcastic.

Considering there are over 10 million people living in BKK and who knows how many in Thailand, this is a great story talking about the significance of 1000 thais traveling. Talk about a NON-STORY! :whistling:

Sort of puts it into perspective though. I wonder how many Thais actually have passports.

Considering there are over 10 million people living in BKK and who knows how many in Thailand, this is a great story talking about the significance of 1000 thais traveling. Talk about a NON-STORY! :whistling:

Sort of puts it into perspective though. I wonder how many Thais actually have passports.

Or of more importance, how many of them will actually be able to get a visa for these countries?

The kind of Thai people who can afford to make trips to Europe or wherever (apart from those going for study/employment) are usually the extremely wealthy and they dont give a cr_p whether the baht is at 29.70 to the usd or 31, 32 etc.

What a moronic story.

....a stronger Bath is a real disaster for Thai economy.....and they look happy to find it cheaper going overseas......unbelievable......blink.gif

I remember walking around Little Tokyo in Los Angeles in the '80, when the Japanese were enjoying a strong Yen, and seeing them pull up in rented Benzes, buying Nikon cameras, jewelery, and basically every high-end trinket they could get their hands on. Got the same feeling I think the Thais must have, as they see foreigners shopping at Paragon and the Emporium.

Well, things have a way of reversing themselves, don't they? Now, it's the turn of a few rich Thais to go on a spree in Europe...

I say, enjoy it while it lasts, which will not be long.

Wow a whole thousand will travel to Europe next year!

I suspect that is a typo.

I am aware that at least one European Visa Section, not in Schengen, has seen a dramatic rise in the number of applications from Thais applying for visas for travel to that country, and there has been a noticeable trend away from the archetypal "farang sponsored" tourist to the more well to do tourist.

Just about all the Thai I know well in Bangkok have passports.

Not unusually for them to travel to Europe, Australia or other Asian countries.

I guess these would be upper middle class, but definately not the superwealthy.

Typical Thai way of thinking.....1000 rich Thais will be spending their holidays in europe...........while many more average & low income Thais who rely on foreign tourist earn peanuts because of the high Thai baht.

Pretty sure that outlook on life isn't restricted to Thailand.

[ I wonder how many Thais actually have passports.

I very much doubt if the need to aquire a passport, a process that takes a few days and costs a 1000 Baht, would be the deciding factor, especially when the visa actually costs far more :rolleyes:

The kind of Thai people who can afford to make trips to Europe or wherever (apart from those going for study/employment) are usually the extremely wealthy and they dont give a cr_p whether the baht is at 29.70 to the usd or 31, 32 etc.

What a moronic story.

I travel to Europe on business a couple of times a year accompanied by up to 8 or 10 Thais. And while I personally am quite concerned as to the Euro rate and the prices for everything as I am far from rich, you are correct with regards to my travel companions. For them, the exchange rate makes little difference. When you are dropping 250+ Euros per night for a room, 600 Euros for a dinner for 4, or 2000 Euros for perfume without blinking an eye, well, 29.70 or 31 doesn't really enter the equation.

....a stronger Bath is a real disaster for Thai economy.....and they look happy to find it cheaper going overseas......unbelievable......blink.gif

Blame it on Yingluck and Pheu Thai!!! Their irresponsible pre-election policy promises to entice the people to vote for them are anticipated to create inflation. This in turn will lead to interest rate rises which will make the Baht more attractive and hence stronger as their return on bonds and currency transactions will be enhanced.

I am delighted by this as I am expatriating money back to England so get more pounds for my Baht!!! Yipee!!:lol:

This will be the ONLY way in which Khun Yingluck will benefit me though as she will decimate the economy and people's (poor primarily) living standards. The people voted them in so they must bear the repercussions of their foolish act!!!:ermm:

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

I remember walking around Little Tokyo in Los Angeles in the '80, when the Japanese were enjoying a strong Yen, and seeing them pull up in rented Benzes, buying Nikon cameras, jewelery, and basically every high-end trinket they could get their hands on. Got the same feeling I think the Thais must have, as they see foreigners shopping at Paragon and the Emporium.

Well, things have a way of reversing themselves, don't they? Now, it's the turn of a few rich Thais to go on a spree in Europe...

I say, enjoy it while it lasts, which will not be long.

Why do you say it won't be long!!! Yingluck's splurge will make sure it does!!! :D

I am aware that at least one European Visa Section, not in Schengen, has seen a dramatic rise in the number of applications from Thais applying for visas for travel to that country, and there has been a noticeable trend away from the archetypal "farang sponsored" tourist to the more well to do tourist.

So where is this non-Schengen country that you are "aware" of?

Ukraine? Euro footy championships there next June (with Poland).

Guided tours of Chernobyl?

In the Philippines, each month Immigration stops thousands of IT'S OWN CITIZENS (mostly female) from leaving the country on the grounds of "anti-traficking laws". To fully comply and leave the country , you must have letter of invitation (notarised by the embassy, 1500 baht), proof of employment, company formation proof, return ticket, proof of adequate funds, proof of stay (hotel receipt). All this is FOR IT'S OWN CITIZENS despite you having a valid visa for travel to the onward country. How do i know ? My Pinay gf was one of the people stopped and i found from the internet that 1000s are stopped each month, it was her first time out of the country. She cried buckets of tears.So did I when i found all the money i spent on flights that was wasted.

Of course, if you think Thailand is corrupt, you have never been to Philippines, i am sure it could all have been solved by a few hundred pesos in the passport.

Philippines also charges it's residents and citizens who have been in country more than 1 year, a "travellers' tax", of 1100 baht, JUST to LEAVE THE COUNTRY !

Thailand will try this, i am sure. It stops innocent travellers from having holidays

Edited by parmo1

Hint......

The Schengen area is made of 25 European countries. Some countries are part of the European Union, but do not belong to the Schengen area. These are the United Kingdom and Ireland. Two other countries, Norway and Iceland, are not part of the European Union, but are part of the Schengen area following a cooperation agreement signed with the Schengen States.

I didn't say that I was aware of the non-Schengen country, if you read what I actually wrote, I said that I was aware that a European Visa Section, not in the Schengen Area, had received a dramatic rise in, non sponsored, applications from Thais.

Surely not that difficult to work out.