Things To Do In Bangkok

beswick

Dear Forum,

I need some help on things to do in BKK for a week. I am currently in Sukhumvit and it would be great if anyone can recommend some places for me to go. I am generally looking to do the following things (nothing to adventurous)

1. Pubs I can go to (preferably different pubs other than the Londoner and Black Bull) even some cheap Thai style bars etc

2. A good seafood restaurant, someone told me there is one on sukhumvit 23? / other good restaurants in bkk

3. Anything I can go and see other than temples etc

Many thanks. Please feel free to recommend anything else you think is cool in bkk that a newbe should do.

Edited by beswick

I heard Lord Jim's is pretty good. Things to do other than visit temples? Well, a quick hop over to klong toey fresh?market at 6am is a good way to get your olfactory senses stimulated. Oh and don't forget to visit makasan road at 2am for some picturesque imagery. No visit to bkk would be complete without a long tail boat ride up the river for 2K-ask the driver to take you to the seafood market next to chatrium at 4am. The train station at 6pm is great for people watching-just don't move till the music stops. Assuming you still have your wallet, head over to patpong and ask the tuk tuk drivers to take you somewhere to get cleaned up proper. I know, that's a lot to do in one day but believe me when I say you won't forget it.

Good food Anoma hotel across from Cetra world its 295baht for a wonderful buffet they switch it up everyday so the variety is really good 11-2. Beirut restaurant down the street from Soi Nana is some of the best middle eastern food in the city.

Sites: Take the water taxi(Never traffic) down to the golden mount there are many wats and interesting things in the area. You can catch the water taxi anywhere along the canal just walk from Suk towards New Patchenburi road once you hit the canal you are there. You can't beat the price 14baht. You can also walk to China town from the golden mount and see Wat Timet (One if not the largest gold buddha in the world.)

Bars: Beer garden is decent if you ever wondered what happens to BG's after they hit 40 :) Gulivers is a nice place but I did not like the food. I had a chicken pot pie that had more gristle and chicken skin then chicken. Cowboy and Nana will always be the same no description needed.

Victory monument if you need van transportation to anyplace within 4h of Bkk for cheap. Ayutia is a quick hop if you want to see some good history.

Chaduchuk weekend market for great shopping Sat-Sun Mo Chit stop BTS

Good food Anoma hotel across from Cetra world its 295baht for a wonderful buffet they switch it up everyday so the variety is really good 11-2. Beirut restaurant down the street from Soi Nana is some of the best middle eastern food in the city.

Sites: Take the water taxi(Never traffic) down to the golden mount there are many wats and interesting things in the area. You can catch the water taxi anywhere along the canal just walk from Suk towards New Patchenburi road once you hit the canal you are there. You can't beat the price 14baht. You can also walk to China town from the golden mount and see Wat Timet (One if not the largest gold buddha in the world.)

Bars: Beer garden is decent if you ever wondered what happens to BG's after they hit 40 :) Gulivers is a nice place but I did not like the food. I had a chicken pot pie that had more gristle and chicken skin then chicken. Cowboy and Nana will always be the same no description needed.

Victory monument if you need van transportation to anyplace within 4h of Bkk for cheap. Ayutia is a quick hop if you want to see some good history.

Chaduchuk weekend market for great shopping Sat-Sun Mo Chit stop BTS

Those are all good suggestions and to which I would add a visit to one of the Thai BBq places as well as a stop at the Thermae at Ruamchit Plaza before it disappears entirely.