Thai 'basmati' Type Rice Available?

english_farang_lady

Tried several (three so far) different types of Thai rice, both in a rice cooker (which I am going to give away, it was hopeless), and in a saucepan as usual. The results are always the same - rice so sticky it all glues together.

We only moved here (Pattaya) a couple of months ago, and I am used to using Basmati rice but cant find it anywhere here.

Does anyone out there know a long grain savoury rice with similar cooking properties to Basmati?

Sounds to me like you are putting to much water in your rice cooker.

Also, fried rice is best made with cold rice. Hot rice comes out sticky.

when u cook rice na ja ..... estimate from your index finger ... see the line ( u will see the 3 parts of it)

water 'd be around the 1st part of your index finger's line

upper naja

btw.gif

Also, don't expect to eat the rice immediately after the Rice Cooker clicks from "Cook" to "Warm" . You should leave it for at least 15 minutes, then unplug it and leave for another 15 minutes or so.

And cold rice - even one day old rice - is best to make Fried Rice.

Patrick

As said a number of times - old rice for fried rice. It is like pizza - a way to use up leftovers.

Or you can just use the cheaper grades of rice. Hom Mali is top grade soft/flavor and should not come out sticky; and will not be much good fried the first day.

You're doing something wrong. Any good quality Thai rice should come out perfectly. Thai jasmine rice is the best, and very similar in texture to Indian basmati though different in taste.

I'm guessing you're forgetting to rinse the rice, as someone else suggested. Thai custom is to rinse it three times, or till the rinse water runs nearly clear. Otherwise the starchy rice powder will turn to glue.

Thanks to all who replied - yes, I have not been washing the rice before cooking. I did not think it was required with rice these days. Got desperate and washed it afterwards once, to get the glue off, but forgot and used tap water.

Found the local Foodland who finally have some real yellow lemons ! So thanks for that tip too.

Found Basmati rice too, but seems silly buying that when there are so many Thai varieties. I did realise that old rice (day old anyhow) is best for fried rice.

Armed with my new tips, I will try again. Thanks again to all you 'super-ladies' for replying. Wonderful !

Thanks to all who replied  -  yes, I have not been washing the rice before cooking.  I did not think it was required with rice these days.  Got desperate and washed it afterwards once, to get the glue off, but forgot and used tap water.

Found the local Foodland who finally have some real yellow lemons !  So thanks for that tip too.

Found Basmati rice too, but seems silly buying that when there are so many Thai varieties.  I did realise that old rice (day old anyhow) is best for fried rice.

Armed with my new tips, I will try again.  Thanks again to all you 'super-ladies' for replying.  Wonderful !

You are right that it is silly to buy Basmati... Someone mentioned "Hom Mali" rice. That is the long grain rice and is very good. That is the Thai rice to buy for everyday cooking.

There is a Thai 'sticky rice' which is normally steamed and normally eaten in Northern Thailand.