Pushing / Towing / A Broken Down Auto Vehicle

ThaiLife

Recently I went shopping , returned to my Auto pickup turned the ignition key and got the dreaded low battery slow engine turn over noise I was only 1km from home , so I went and got a spare charged car battery I keep for emergencies and managed to jump start the vehicle I traced the low battery problem to a faulty plug on the alternator . This got me thinking about the course of action that can be taken if an Automatic vehicle for some reason wont start . am I right in thinking that an Automatic vehicle cannot be push started ( lots of helpful Thais pushing the back of the vehicle ) am I right in thinking that you can only tow an Automatic vehicle for a short distance before damaged may be done to the Auto box , am I right in thinking that you can only start an Automatic vehicle once its reached 40 mph .

Any thoughts on the above

Edited by ThaiLife

On the old boxes you might but remember an auto runs on high oil pressure made by a pump in the box. It has main shaft bearings similar to engine bearings and are pressure fed thats why you must not tow an auto without the feed, either unbolt the prop shaft or lift the rear off the ground to tow.

Must add, l don't know about modern stuff, whether proper bearings are now installed but from my reading you still cannot tow an auto.

If it is front wheel drive then lift the front off the ground to tow. :)

If its 4WD dont bother trying, FWD like Transam said just lift up the front and tow it so the front wheels arent on the ground. To be honest with you though I would just drive the 1km home, with a fully recharged battery and even with a stuffed alternator you should be able to drive home just leave absolutely everything electrical off. Worst case scenario bannana back truck and just have it towed home by the pro's.

Op, forget the idea or advice about towing an auto 40kph to get it started, it will totally destroy the box, an auto gets it oil pressure via the engine turning the Torque Converter, the auto oil pump is in the front of the box and when pressure is up it operates the clutches/bands ect,

Yes you must remove the propshaft, easy at the axle end, tie it up out of the way, saves removing all the prop, front wheel drive, yes lift and tow is the easiest way,

Can't you just put the gear in neutral and then tow the car?

NO !!!! The rear wheels are turning the prop shaft which is turning the box main shaft in neutral. The main shaft is oil PRESSURE fed to float the bearings. :huh:

Can't you just put the gear in neutral and then tow the car?

NO !!!! The rear wheels are turning the prop shaft which is turning the box main shaft in neutral. The main shaft is oil PRESSURE fed to float the bearings. :huh:

Hmm, I guess you are right. But towing at a slow speed should not cause any danger, I think. I always cut the engine at the finish line and put it in neutral. And that was well above normal towing speed. :D

It is important to remember that if you are towing an automatic vehicle you will have NO BRAKES...The power brakes need so much pressure that you effectively will not be able to use them.

<deleted>, you will still have brakes in either an auto or manual. Just need to stand on the pedal a bit harder, if you find this is not enough or your of weak leg muscle physique you can also use the hard brake if applied with caution.

ok yes, you can tow an Auto, for about 200mtrs at walking speed, not adviseable but if you have to get it out of harms way, ok..

When i was doing a HGV breakdown service in the UK, got called by the cops to shift a broken down 12ton camper, auto, i told the cops on arrival i would have to remove the prop, and being the 9bolt variety might take about 30mins, the cops said there is a 3 mile queue, move it now!! i said will cost owner a fortune if the auto winds up, Cops said, tell him to send us the bill, and we will send him our overtime bill, i got the camper to a lay-by in a few hundred yards and sorted it,

So yes, tow, but not far and not fast, even then its a big risk of a lot of damage.

It is important to remember that if you are towing an automatic vehicle you will have NO BRAKES...The power brakes need so much pressure that you effectively will not be able to use them.

<deleted>, you will still have brakes in either an auto or manual. Just need to stand on the pedal a bit harder, if you find this is not enough or your of weak leg muscle physique you can also use the hard brake if applied with caution.

Unless it's a 70's yank, auto or manual, no servo you will need Popeye and spinach to stop it. :lol:

Unless it's a 70's yank, auto or manual, no servo you will need Popeye and spinach to stop it. :lol:

Really, Ive been flat towed in many servo (brake booster) equipped vehicles and had no issues slowing down, maybe I gots Popeye legs.

Edited by Spoonman

Really, Ive been flat towed in many servo (brake booster) equipped vehicles and had no issues slowing down, maybe I gots Popeye legs.

For sure. :D

Mind you l had trouble stopping mine with the booster. :huh::lol:

Most autos can be towed without damage for no more than 50kms at no more than 50kph.

However it is important to refer to the manufacturers handbook for a specific vehicle for do's and don'ts.

Usually to be found under the "Emergency" heading where it should also show the correct procedure for connecting/disconnecting jump leads without spiking the electronics.

Most autos can be towed without damage for no more than 50kms at no more than 50kph.

However it is important to refer to the manufacturers handbook for a specific vehicle for do's and don'ts.

Usually to be found under the "Emergency" heading where it should also show the correct procedure for connecting/disconnecting jump leads without spiking the electronics.

They cannot. You will wipe out the mainshaft bearings if they are not roller.;)