Yingluck's First Challenge Is Her Own Credibility; Thai Talk

webfact

THAI TALK

Yingluck's first challenge is her own credibility

By Suthichai Yoon

The Nation

30161860-01.jpg

Officially, only Yingluck Shinawatra, the Pheu Thai Party's No 1 MP, and Yongyuth Vichaidit, the supposed party leader, have the final say on who is to be included in the Cabinet.

Unofficially, nobody is quite sure who calls the shot.

Most press reports seem to ignore the party's official version. So far, every story in the popular press about who's expected to be in the Cabinet line-up has invariably referred to who Thaksin Shinawatra wants in or out.

We are also being treated to a series of reports that Pheu Thai MPs have been shuttling between Bangkok and Dubai or Brunei to see Thaksin. Yingluck says they were purely social gatherings. Banharn Silpa-archa, the de facto leader of Chat Thai Pattana, a party in the coalition, says he went to Brunei recently to look at some wild animals for his personal zoo. His meeting with Thaksin was portrayed as an incidental event. Everybody else, of course, knew what he was up to.

Most Thais either shake their heads or sport knowing smiles over these "official stories" about who is really making decisions on the composition of the new government - or who was to be named House Speaker. Yingluck knows that the public knows what she knows to be the truth. But, perhaps for the sake of national harmony and out of a sense of Thai politeness, nobody has really taken her to task over that.

What's the point of arguing over the obvious.

But can this national game of pretence actually be sustained and stand the test of critical scrutiny?

Yingluck will have to be a real super-woman to be able to continue to convince the whole country that she can run the new government without interference, direct or otherwise, from her brother in Dubai.

Of course, as the country's first female premier-to-be, Yingluck should be given a genuine chance to prove that she can live up to the public's expectations. There is no turning back for her. It is a hard, cold political fact that even if it is accepted that she was placed in the No 1 slot of the Pheu Thai party list by Thaksin to begin with, the name of the game that she has decided to play is: I am in charge, and nobody else.

That means that no matter who makes the final decisions on the shape of the new government, it's Yingluck the prime minister who will have to answer to the Thai public. The buck stops at her desk at Government House - and from Day One, she can't claim to be "just a clone" anymore.

The Thai public appears ready to give her a chance to prove that she is up to the task. She has started off well. It took her only 49 days in politics to rise to the top. She has charm. A total of 15.7 million votes were cast mainly because she was holding the party's flag. She offers the country a "new, fresh face" in politics. She has the legitimacy and she has been given an overwhelming mandate to show that she can solve all the country's problems.

Yingluck has promised to deliver at least five programmes once she is made head of the government: Reconciliation; the Bt300 minimum wage; a Bt15,000 monthly starting salary for new university graduates; free tablets for all students around the country; and support for higher farm prices. Whether she was instrumental in drawing up these election pledges or whether she really believes they were realistic isn't the point.

She probably didn't plan her life this way, but now she has no choice but to carry the torch. Whether or not she chose this path and whether she is really in control of all the issues that a prime minister is supposed to tackle is now immaterial. Her first major challenge is to prove critics wrong, particularly those who are starting to say that she will be there for no more than six months.

The irony is hard to miss. Pheu Thai's landslide victory in the July 3 election was no doubt attributable in no small measure to Thaksin's popularity. But once the real task of governing begins under Yingluck, more and more people are concerned that Thaksin may serve as an obstacle rather than a boost for his own anointed substitute.

Yingluck's other challenge is to clarify her relations with the red-shirt movement. Is the movement part of Pheu Thai? Is Pheu Thai part of the red movement? And where does she stand between the two?

In the end, Yingluck's real challenge isn't even how to implement all the election promises. It is, first and foremost, her own credibility as a real leader.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-04

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing the Thais actually elected her. I guess it was just a vote for Thaksin and against the dems, no matter who the PM was.

It was a vote against amart cheats who cheated their way into power by disbanding parties, coming up with trumped up charges which were often politically motivated, abusing the LM laws to suit themselves, killing demonstrators, abusing freedom of speech by banning thousands of websites. All in all a pretty nasty bunch of actions by some self centered, nasty people. Fortunately the Thai people saw through all of it and voted to put an end to the Abhisit Government nightmare. I'm beginning to believe in Karma :jap:.

Amazing the Thais actually elected her. I guess it was just a vote for Thaksin and against the dems, no matter who the PM was.

It was a vote against amart cheats who cheated their way into power by disbanding parties, coming up with trumped up charges which were often politically motivated, abusing the LM laws to suit themselves, killing demonstrators, abusing freedom of speech by banning thousands of websites. All in all a pretty nasty bunch of actions by some self centered, nasty people. Fortunately the Thai people saw through all of it and voted to put an end to the Abhisit Government nightmare. I'm beginning to believe in Karma :jap:.

Understood. But you could come up with the same trash about PTP also. Easy enough to do.

free tablets for all students around the country

Surely this promise was 'clarified' before the election, and it was explained by PTP, that they meant only 1st-Grade primary-students ?

Of course whether the voters actually received that pared-back message, or hoped/believed in the original grand-design, who can say ? B)

Thaksin is popular, but dont underestimate that people have had enough of the establishment extra-parliamentary players and any party seen to be close to them is unlikely to fare well (Dems vote went down a few million, BJT got half the seats it said it would, CTP couldnt even hold all of their own turf and ended up with a laughable amount of seats and failed to seat one of its most powerful players). The Dems need to break their links to the shadowy murky side and establish their independence if they want to improve their showing.

Thaksin is popular, but dont underestimate that people have had enough of the establishment extra-parliamentary players and any party seen to be close to them is unlikely to fare well (Dems vote went down a few million, BJT got half the seats it said it would, CTP couldnt even hold all of their own turf and ended up with a laughable amount of seats and failed to seat one of its most powerful players). The Dems need to break their links to the shadowy murky side and establish their independence if they want to improve their showing.

For sure!:thumbsup:

The article misses the point that while stressing Yingluck is widely seen as Thaksin's nominee, Abhisit was also widely seen as the nominee of the army/bureaucracy. People are used to having front PMs

Apisit has been an MP since he was 27, Yingluk, one week.

I suppose a perjury charge may be a little detrimental to whatever credibility she is supposed to possess. IMHO her "successful businesswoman" claim should be taken with a grain of salt bigger than my house.

I suppose a perjury charge may be a little detrimental to whatever credibility she is supposed to possess. IMHO her "successful businesswoman" claim should be taken with a grain of salt bigger than my house.

Is your house bigger than Buckingham Palace

The article misses the point that while stressing Yingluck is widely seen as Thaksin's nominee, Abhisit was also widely seen as the nominee of the army/bureaucracy. People are used to having front PMs

Actually that's irrelevant,and not only for the generally very poor reputation of Thai MPs in terms of integrity and competence.

Abhisit's advantages are those of a first class education and the intellect which made that possible, and of course his personal honesty and integrity in matters of financial rectitude (his integrity is suspect in other ways).The obvious drawback is that he presided over unexplained deaths of protestors on the streets of Bangkok and denied any kind of accountability for himself and the military which backed him. In many countries this would have meant his consignment to political oblivion (it might here too but too early to say).Added to that is his incompetence as a politician, his mean spirited and shoddy election campaign emphasizing Thailand's divisions rather than trying to reconcile and his inability to strike any real connection beyond the myopic Sino Thai middle class.

Get a life dude.... did your wife write this for you.... and just to let you know...in Thailand..Nothing is free.. especially land..! take your hand out of your pocket..!

Neither Dem nor BJT really fared worse than last election.

What happened is that several smaller parties suffered with losses to PTP (a reduce in the split votes) while Dems votes was partially split by the Vote No campaign and some local regional parties.

Actually that's irrelevant,and not only for the generally very poor reputation of Thai MPs in terms of integrity and competence.

Abhisit's advantages are those of a first class education and the intellect which made that possible, and of course his personal honesty and integrity in matters of financial rectitude (his integrity is suspect in other ways).The obvious drawback is that he presided over unexplained deaths of protestors on the streets of Bangkok and denied any kind of accountability for himself and the military which backed him. In many countries this would have meant his consignment to political oblivion (it might here too but too early to say).Added to that is his incompetence as a politician, his mean spirited and shoddy election campaign emphasizing Thailand's divisions rather than trying to reconcile and his inability to strike any real connection beyond the myopic Sino Thai middle class.

This thread is about Yingluk, not Apisit but I would suggest in many countries the red shirts would not have been able to take over the city centre,and if they had tried the death toll would have been far higher.

Apisit is to be commended for his restraint.

But the great majority of rural dwelling Thais are still no further forward. They have voted out the corrupt amart supporting Democrat government... only to replace it with the corrupt, fugitive supporting PTP government.

Wouldn't it be nice if the ordinary Thais had an honest political leader to take them forward to a more honest, less corrupt government? OK, now you're all asking what I'm smoking, and I'm hiding from the Drug Squad....

But the great majority of rural dwelling Thais are still no further forward. They have voted out the corrupt amart supporting Democrat government... only to replace it with the corrupt, fugitive supporting PTP government.

Wouldn't it be nice if the ordinary Thais had an honest political leader to take them forward to a more honest, less corrupt government? OK, now you're all asking what I'm smoking, and I'm hiding from the Drug Squad....

That is what many of us want, and why we have an clear dislike for PTP with its pretend 'care'.

But alas, we are branded 'anti-poor' or 'yellow' for this - which frankly doesn't make sense.

And front parties, including this one.

Neither Dem nor BJT really fared worse than last election.

What happened is that several smaller parties suffered with losses to PTP (a reduce in the split votes) while Dems votes was partially split by the Vote No campaign and some local regional parties.

The Dems were down a couple of million votes and saw their neck and neck 2007 in terms of party list performance deteriorate substantially. Some analysis claims a move of 1 million direct from Dem to PTP between elections. BJT claimed they would win at least 70 seats.

Bangkok is interesting too. While the dems won a big majority of the seats they were only up a few percent over PTP in the popular vote.

Then take Chonburi, there has been a huge noticeable growth in red sympathy and a lot of those sympathisers voted PC to make sure the Dems wouldnt win, so not even all the red support voted for PTP

By any standards it was a disaster for the Dems and BJT who also had the advantage of controlling the apparatus of local state and that is worth a fair few votes. Next time around they will not have this advantage. Mind you the Dems likely reselection of Abhisit and the party's chronic divide over Korn will likely also manage to hinder them too leaving them facing an even lesser performance next time around

But the Thai people have chosen who they want to lead them. They clearly think at this point that it will be better for them. It remains to be seen whether they will be satisfied or not. A recent poll indicates that most dont worry about corruption. Maybe competence and reconcilliation are higher on people's wishlists.

That is what many of us want, and why we have an clear dislike for PTP with its pretend 'care'.

But alas, we are branded 'anti-poor' or 'yellow' for this - which frankly doesn't make sense.

+1

They have voted out the corrupt amart supporting Democrat government... only to replace it with the corrupt, fugitive supporting PTP government.

Very well surmised.

I would add though that at least the corrupt amart supporting Democrat government had a clean leader who did not use his time at the top to enrich himself and his family. It was a small baby step in the right direction. Which direction are we now headed with the Shinawatra's i wonder....

But the Thai people have chosen who they want to lead them. They clearly think at this point that it will be better for them. It remains to be seen whether they will be satisfied or not. A recent poll indicates that most dont worry about corruption. Maybe competence and reconcilliation are higher on people's wishlists.

I'll say it before someone else does - it's only less than 50% of the Thai people that have chosen who they want to lead them :)

What you said is very valid. I believe that most don't worry about corruption as most believe that it's not going to go away in their lifetimes and it is only human nature that you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. It's a necessarily evil that they live with and most accept it. The same applies to a lot of other SEA countries such as Malaysia, Indonesia, Phillipines, Vietnam, Cambodia etc. They believe their lot in life will not necessarily improve with the eradication of corruption. A lot of posters here will disagree (Western standards after all) but we are talking about the relatively uneducated and naive rural folk who are more concerned about eking out a living. In their minds, PT will do more than the other parties to improve their standards of living and at the end of the day, that's all that counts for the majority of them.

It is relatively easy for PT to stay in power for a long time. Ensure that a certain amount of wealth is being redistributed to the North / North East and constantly champion this. Lots of PR, lots of coverage, give the occasional motorbike to a deserving villager, throw some cash around...... PT already has it's power base in these areas and it is so deeply entrenched that it will take a Herculean effort from any other party to dislodge them. At the same time, PT needs to start winning over some of the more marginal constituencies and if they do this right, they WILL get the MAJORITY of both votes and seats the next time round.

I'm not saying whether this is good for the country or not but just political reality.

I'll say it before someone else does - it's only less than 50% of the Thai people that have chosen who they want to lead them :)

What you said is very valid. I believe that most don't worry about corruption as most believe that it's not going to go away in their lifetimes and it is only human nature that you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. It's a necessarily evil that they live with and most accept it. The same applies to a lot of other SEA countries such as Malaysia, Indonesia, Phillipines, Vietnam, Cambodia etc. They believe their lot in life will not necessarily improve with the eradication of corruption. A lot of posters here will disagree (Western standards after all) but we are talking about the relatively uneducated and naive rural folk who are more concerned about eking out a living. In their minds, PT will do more than the other parties to improve their standards of living and at the end of the day, that's all that counts for the majority of them.

It is relatively easy for PT to stay in power for a long time. Ensure that a certain amount of wealth is being redistributed to the North / North East and constantly champion this. Lots of PR, lots of coverage, give the occasional motorbike to a deserving villager, throw some cash around...... PT already has it's power base in these areas and it is so deeply entrenched that it will take a Herculean effort from any other party to dislodge them. At the same time, PT needs to start winning over some of the more marginal constituencies and if they do this right, they WILL get the MAJORITY of both votes and seats the next time round.

I'm not saying whether this is good for the country or not but just political reality.

I think you sum up the political reality well. The people who have to learn it are the Democrats who being the largest opposition party must offer the country a viable alternative to the PTP, or Thailand will develop into a one party state for reasons you point out. I doubt though they will learn the lessons or be able to make the changes needed however, and that will be a huge diservice to the country. It may be a long long time before the country has a viable alternative.

To bad you weren't here to see the action and had to learn about it from some of the terrorists.

That being said it is indeed important that she establishes her credibility. To do this she will have to be honest.

I don't think that statements like this are really based in honesty

"We are also being treated to a series of reports that Pheu Thai MPs have been shuttling between Bangkok and Dubai or Brunei to see Thaksin. Yingluck says they were purely social gatherings. Banharn Silpa-archa, the de facto leader of Chat Thai Pattana, a party in the coalition, says he went to Brunei recently to look at some wild animals for his personal zoo. His meeting with Thaksin was portrayed as an incidental event. Everybody else, of course, knew what he was up to."

I wonder if Thaksin and Banharn Silpa-archa met while looking at the same wild animals? Maybe Thaksin was being honest when he said he was no longer in politics and is looking for a new way to spend his money. A zoo in Dubai might work.

Now how would she know what they were doing if she wasn't there?

She is going to be the new PM there is no reason to deny the truth. It is not like if Thaksin was handing out posts she had to make them happen.

Why does she not just come out and say it is my decision and I don't care what my brother promises any one. If they are the most qualified person in my opinion they will have the job if they are not the most qualified they won't have the job.

Now a statement like that would in my opinion go along way to prove her credibility.

Edited by hellodolly

I think you sum up the political reality well. The people who have to learn it are the Democrats who being the largest opposition party must offer the country a viable alternative to the PTP, or Thailand will develop into a one party state for reasons you point out. I doubt though they will learn the lessons or be able to make the changes needed however, and that will be a huge diservice to the country. It may be a long long time before the country has a viable alternative.

Did any one ever consider the possability that a lot of Thai's voted for the PT because they feared the PTs unarmed red shirted thugs?

Just a thought

+1

Exactly. A lot of people confuse an 'anti-corruption' stance as being some sort of colour. I could not care less who runs the country - but if they are corrupt, I will criticise.

A well reasoned post that is hard to argue with, and i think you hit the nail on the head with regards why people did vote for them with this: "In their minds, PT will do more than the other parties to improve their standards of living and at the end of the day, that's all that counts for the majority of them". Forget dealing with corruption, forget competence, forget reconciliation. They weren't high on people's wish list. Nah, it's all about the"me". It's all about the, "what do i get out of this?"

If those other things like corruption, competence and reconciliation, happen to improve along the way then all well and good, but just make sure you make me and my family richer (and thus happier) first and foremost.