Good Steak

MarkBKK

Last night I had a fair-sized sirloin steak (not my favourite cut) at the new 7 Seas restaurant in that funny square off Soi 11 (Cheap Charlie's, Charley Brown's, those two curry houses, et al).

It was melt in the mouth tender, tasted fantastic and perfectly cooked ... and it was Thai beef. 350 baht.

Better than Chokchai. Better than the Four Seasons. Better than Outback. I've been to a few other steakhouses over the years, but I can't remember a better steak (yes, I know it sounds mad ... maybe my memory's going, but it was bloody good), and in terms of value for money, I know it's the best I've had here.

Complimented the waitress, and she said she'd tell the owner because he was very proud of where he'd sourced the meat (she didn't tell me where. But then I didn't ask.)

I'm sure many people know where to enjoy a better steak in Bangkok, but I don't reckon you'll find better value for money. And I don't think you'll find a steak that tastes that much better anywhere ... and in a seafood restaurant!

And no, I'm not the owner. I was just so surprised that I thought I'd share ...

And before anyone says ''Yeah, well, they always did great steaks in Soi 4 dummy,'' I never went to the Soi 4 restaurant.

• 4 weeks later...

The place in question is called "Seven Seas" and is located in the space where the small pub there used to be... on the side soi that parallels Soi 11 on the left hand side of the street as you're heading up Soi 11 from the main road. Just make a left turn when you get to Cheap Charlie's, and then guide around a short walk. 02-651-0137.

The staff there indicated they are a sister restaurant to another "Seven Seas" seafood restaurant supposedly located on Suk Soi 4... though I've never been there or noticed that location.

Seven Seas Soi 11 is only open for dinner, from 5 pm onward daily. No lunch, according to their staff there.

For those who need extra directions, they're located right next to Tapas Cafe and Charlie Brown's Mexican restaurant, which are on the same side soi.

Haven't tried the food yet, but the menu looks promising with quite a good selection of various seafoods, in addition to their steaks.

I will have to try it.

I've been making a habit of getting the Australian tenderloin at the wine connection; decent value for the 450 or so baht they charge; they could improve their cooking skills a bit though. But with a good bottle of wine or a belgian beer, you can't go wrong!

The wife and I went there for dinner last night, as it was a holiday day from work for her... All in all, I'd say a mixed experience.

First off, the physical restaurant is nice.... newly and stylishly done, of course, comfortable chairs, nicely decorated, indoor dining as well as patio dining outside under a shade cover. On a Monday night from about 7 pm to 9 pm, we and another party were the only customers in the restaurant.

The wife and I shared a pair of specials they're offering via flyer through the end of the month... just today and tomorrow remaining, according to the flyer.. A platter with 4 or so different kinds of squid/pla muk (fillets grilled, rounds deep fried, etc) and one of their steaks along with three whole, shell-on shrimp -- the two specials together totaling about 500 baht. The regular price of the pla muk platter on the menu is, I believe, close to 500 baht... The regular price for their steak on the menu is 60 baht per 50 grams.

The steak was pretty good, tender, nicely grilled and came with a very nice side salad of fresh greens and sliced olives and baby tomatoes -- not the usual Thai restaurant version of shredded cabbage covered in some mayo dressing. The squid on the squid platter was nicely prepared and came with a half dozen or so toppings/sauces in a set of little side bowls...a couple mayo based, one crushed garlic, one tomato based, etc. Nothing else on the platter except a garnish of a lot of pineapple slices, which seemed like an odd choice.

At the top, I said I thought our meal was a mixed experience, for the following reasons...

--When we sat down and ordered our meal and drinks (they offer various imported wines at 190 baht per glass), from the time we ordered until our entrees arrives, we had nothing except the drinks on our table... no bread...no nothing offered or given.

--When our entrees arrived, no potato with the steak, and nothing except pineapple slices with the squid...which seemed kind of odd. Though, they did have baked potatoes on the menu as an extra side order.

--When I ordered my steak, I forgot to tell them -- and our waiter never asked -- how I wanted the steak cooked in terms of doneness or otherwise. It arrived a bit under medium rare.

--When we were looking at the menu during our meal, there were a couple things listed on the menu that we wanted to order at various points....

A pint of Heineken.... No have draught, only bottles.... Later on, they had fresh oysters listed on the menu that my wife likes for 90 baht apiece so she wanted to try some.... No have... Later, for desert, they have a separate desert menu entirely of various ice cream things... The banana split looked good... Sorry, no have.... (Ice cream they had, banana apparently not.) Hmmm...

All in all, we'd probably go back again, despite the various disappointments.... They had quite a few Thai seafood dishes on the menu that we would have liked to have tried... some fried fish, some seafood curries, and some others in the 200 baht range... Though other things like salmon steaks of course are priced higher.

They also had, buried back in a fairly long menu, a couple of dinner set offerings with four various seafood entries for two people, with each set priced a bit under 700 baht, so about 350 per person.

All the prices on their menu are before they add a 10% service charge and 7% VAT. Our total bill, including a shared desert and my wife's two glasses of wine, came to a bit over 1,300 baht.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

MARKBKK. i have been eating the same thai beef steak for 20odd years,thai-pen fed available at all tops stores inside robinsons,jan this year 5kilos sirlion,3kilos rib eye,sirlion normally 325bht kilo,on offer 275,rib eye norm.375bht kilo,on offer 325,only problem i have nearest tops is kon kaen, 2hs drive in bkk i used to buy at robinsons ratchada.

Good steaks?

Buy your steak from the freshmarket at 400 thb per kilo and teach your wife how to prepare it, show her how the CD player and the light switch works(for that restaurant feeling) or do it yourself... Best there is and can't beat the price... :jap: