What Gives?

monitorlizard

Amazing, I have been trying to purchase a ticket to fly to SFO January 7-12 and all the airlines tell me everything is booked until January 29th. This is even for business class! I was quoted one seat left for 76,000 baht. So, I am still looking.

So far I have tried NW and Eva. I have frequent flyer miles on NW and EVA. I guess I will have to try Korean, China Airlines, etc.

What is going on? Perhaps the airlines are flying fewer planes? Or is tourism really up? Are plane loads of Bay Area residents flying to Thailand? I don't think the Chinese from SF are flying to Thailand for the New Year. I just can't figure it out.

I was thinking about trying to go standby at the airport. Does anyone have experience with this? DO they charge you full fare? And if there is a stopover in another country, do you have to standby there as well?

Any useful advice appreciated. Also, what is your favorite airline?

Thanks SBK I will look. I checked Thai airways and yes they had a few economy seats or 2-3 grand. Yicks. I want tp pay around 22,000 -26,000 baht for a flight to SFO. JAL has me on a wait list for 3 days but the fare is 38,000 plus US taxes (50US).

So, I may postpone my trip until February. I noticed that there are a lot more flights in the 40,000 baht range but I want it cheaper. I will check out that website. I noticed that in LOS that the agencies give you better deals. Of course you have to pay cash or 3% credit card transaction fee.

I have yet to find a good deal on the internet when purchasing tickets.

Well after putting my name on many airlines waiting lists I am still without luck. One word of caution regarding the internet websites, they are NOT UPDATED! I got really excited about the possibility of available seats but when I called there was none. They tell me internet is not updated here.

So thanks everyone. I finally managed to get a business ticket on JAL for 68,000 baht. UGH! Oh well, I should have enough miles for a free ticket after this flight.

:o Seems that the tickets drop like a bombshell around the 28th January. You pay up the nose when you have to be somewhere!

here looking for 2 seats to Europe, want to arrive 23/1 late, gonna pay for it :o

Got a KLM offer for 37k THB each, EVA ads 27k

Final destination is Brussels, but as this is just a small, regional airport for 'janneke & mieke', I could also fly to Amsterdam (and drive), to Paris (and train) or London Heathrow (and fly).

Consider any carrier, Star Alliance preferred;

've been through all the ads in Post or Nation, any good online addresses (or emails ?) ?

finding seats to Europe might be different. just bought my business ticket to SFO this afternoon. i was lucky to get this one. two things that i have noticed is that the travel agents print the low out of season fares to get people to call in. don't waste your time with airlines as they will charge you full price and will advise you to purchase from travel agent as it much cheaper (40%)!. Also forget about the internet. I used Thai airways and there was one seat available on a date I wanted. it was economy and the price was over $3,000! I called the travel agency and there were no tickets only waiting lists! it was the same on other airline websites. I get the impression that thhe internet cheap fares only work in the US

Good luck. Off to cold and rainy SF! Hope I can find my coat.

Have a bagel and cream cheese for me!

I have always used a local travel agent, well on Samui anyway. Always wondered if I could get a better deal from a travel agent in Bangkok. After hearing your experiences it makes me guess not. Anyone else have a better experience with a travel agency in Bangkok?