Bouncing To Malaysia For About 2 Weeks...

4evermaat

I will be leaving from Bangkok. I have 3 options: air, bus, mini-bus.

I needed to know if there is a minibus or tour that goes directly to Penang, Malaysia from Bangkok? Or maybe I have to stop in Hat Yai first. Trying to do it in under 1.5 days.

Air is last resort, although I might consider flying back into thailand afterwards.

edit: recommendations as to where to stay in Penang under 400 baht/night.

Edited by 4evermaat

I've never done it, but I have a friend who goes to Penang on a regular basis and he goes by train. Says it's a pretty easy way to go.

The trains only go to Butterworth. From there you have a choice of either taxi or ferry to get onto Penang island, most people stay around the Georgetown area.

I've never done it, but I have a friend who goes to Penang on a regular basis and he goes by train. Says it's a pretty easy way to go.

The trains only go to Butterworth. From there you have a choice of either taxi or ferry to get onto Penang island, most people stay around the Georgetown area.

How long is the train ride from Bangkok??? Is it an easy transit at the border???

There has been a few posts in the last month on this..

Train to Butterworth > Ferry > taxi to guesthouse/hotel

or for about same price but far quicker.. Train to Hat Yai and Mini Bus to Penang.

Never been, but have looked a number of times + read all the post about it.

Train to Butterworth when i asked 6 weeks ago was 1,210 baht 2nd class + 200 baht booking fee.

Train to Hat Yai was 775 baht 2nd class + 200 baht fee + Mini Bus from outside 7/11 goes when full 550 baht and drop off in Georgetown..

When looking appeared there was many places from 285 - 700 baht per night... Google, or read what others say and what they say are good places to stay, over last couple of years many have posted on here.

Edit: maybe of use in English http://thailandtrainticket.com/

Edited by ignis

There has been a few posts in the last month on this..

Train to Butterworth > Ferry > taxi to guesthouse/hotel

or for about same price but far quicker.. Train to Hat Yai and Mini Bus to Penang.

Never been, but have looked a number of times + read all the post about it.

Train to Butterworth when i asked 6 weeks ago was 1,210 baht 2nd class + 200 baht booking fee.

Train to Hat Yai was 775 baht 2nd class + 200 baht fee + Mini Bus from outside 7/11 goes when full 550 baht and drop off in Georgetown..

When looking appeared there was many places from 285 - 700 baht per night... Google, or read what others say and what they say are good places to stay, over last couple of years many have posted on here.

Edit: maybe of use in English http://thailandtrainticket.com/

So it seems like taking a VIP bus (reg vip or express) from Bangkok to Hat Yai and then mini-bus to penang would work out better? how much/long is the bus ticket?

I was considering flying to Hat Yai, but the plane ticket promotions ran out quick for the midnight sale for Nok Air (1111 baht one way all inclusive) :( I actually have a feeling that they never have those tickets available in the first place. Maybe air asia may not be bad deal? 2100-2800 baht and two hours. All that would be left would be a bus ticket into Georgetown (or whatever the popular place where the cheap guesthouses are), do the expat thing, and then hop back about two weeks later.

My friend in Phuket said he could get one way mini bus going directly into penang (from phuket) for 700-900 baht depending on tour company. Maybe I misheard.

So it seems like taking a VIP bus (reg vip or express) from Bangkok to Hat Yai and then mini-bus to penang would work out better? how much/long is the bus ticket?

I was considering flying to Hat Yai, but the plane ticket promotions ran out quick for the midnight sale for Nok Air (1111 baht one way all inclusive) :( I actually have a feeling that they never have those tickets available in the first place. Maybe air asia may not be bad deal? 2100-2800 baht and two hours. All that would be left would be a bus ticket into Georgetown (or whatever the popular place where the cheap guesthouses are), do the expat thing, and then hop back about two weeks later.

My friend in Phuket said he could get one way mini bus going directly into penang (from phuket) for 700-900 baht depending on tour company. Maybe I misheard.

http://www.sawadee.com/transfer/bus-hatyai.htm

about the same price on the bus going VIP,

The price of the train is 2nd class sleeper,

I have been on the 24 seat VIP big Buses before, the seat recline much more, but going that far and at the same price myself would opt for a bed = going by train. Only time i have been on a train was Bangkok to C.M. back in early 2002

For some years ,I went to Penang. First I took the train- 2nd. class non-air sleeper all the way to Butterworth. Then I discovered it was MUCH quicker to train to Hat Yai ,then minibus to Penang , Not Butterworth ,The mini bus will drop you at your hotel door . in Penang.Most farang ,stay in the Chulia street area-many hotels and guest houses there. Like Indian Food? Little India in Penang is excellent. It can get quite cold at night, on the train ,I was quite comfortable in Non-air. The Thais love air, Also often I would meet Farang in the restaurant car and quaff some ales. Many very pleasant evenings ,I have had.

Star Lodge on Muntri (?) St. [off Love Lane] 300 bt per night. Private fan room with personal bathroom. A little more for AC if you really need it.

I only fly B)

I ended up buying a plane ticket to penang from BKK. 3500 (2570 + fees no check in luggage) baht, but only because of short notice and the day (for some reason, thursday flight was 320 baht more than wed or fri. and next week saw base price as cheap as 1650.

Sometimes it works out that way. But it is a direct flight into penang. From what i understand, there is a post office at the airport, so that saves me time.

About how much for taxi / minibu to get from airport to Muntri St / Love lane? Do i need passport to check in at guesthouse?

I used the buses to get round Penang - and there is a good service to/from airport

Penang map, bus routes here: Rapid Penang route maps

401 and 401E will both get you from the airport, suggest you get off bus at he Komtar terminal, easy walk from there, or one of the cycle-taxis to your hotel

Bus fares very cheap - good air-con and take in the scenery along the way.

i can confirm that what you have said about the buses, although I ended up taking taxi. 44 RM (440 baht?) I prepaid at the taxi counter, as the taxis are unmetered. The buses looked clean, though.

Not sure where Love Lane is. I walked around Chulia St and I saw everything under the sun.

I ended up at Tourist Guest house. Had a small box room 702. private bath / Hot water/ air con, wifi, 40 RM. There was a place next door that was clean and had shared toilet (with hot water) for 35 RM. There was another place next two doors (in a small alley) that had hot water/air con/private bath / wifi for 40 RM. When I walked in the room, it looked and smelled like they never dusted the place for a year. :bah:

I was staying at this chinese place two stores down behind 7-11 that had fan-only room with shower (no toliet) inside the room for 25 RM. but it wasn't until after I paid I realized that there was no plug for electrical outlet :blink:. Never saw that before, but now I know to check.

Question: What sounded like islamic call to prayer woke me up around 5am or so. It was quite loud and annoying was it where I was specifically, or is it throughout malaysia? I do not hear it at other times of the day. It was almost like the speaker was right outside my room, FACING my window (I could not see).

Something else that may save some people some time: I got Digi Sim card works for both voice and internet. There's a shop right across from 7-11 on Chulia St that is authorized dealer. 3RM / 50MB /day or 15RM / 250 mb / week. The sim card was 26RM and came with 16RM pre-loaded. It's important that if your phone does not pick up the internet, you must program the Access Point Names APN as follows:

Wireless / Network settings > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > [menu key] New APN

Name: diginet

APN: diginet

APN type: internet

everything else blank or default. Save the setting and select that access point. You should be able to use internet now.

But they do have customer service which has excellent english and will actually walk you through the steps. They'll even "push" the settings file to your phone. Then you install the settings. But the manual setup is if the push is unsuccessful.

Star Lodge on Muntri (?) St. [off Love Lane] 300 bt per night. Private fan room with personal bathroom. A little more for AC if you really need it.

I only fly B)

I ended up moving from Tourist guesthouse. wifi was very inconsistent in the room and the muslim call to prayer speaker is a little close. At 5am, it can definetly wake you out of your sleep. 40 riggit, though with a/c and private bath. That's the tradeoff.

I did make it to star lodge. The a/c room was 50 RM for 2 people. or 40 RM without a/c. private toliet/bath/hot water, clean room overall. My only complaint is that the Star Lodge wifi i get 3 bars outside my room door, but when i go into the room, I get no signal. I moved all the furniture around to put the bed as close to the door as possible....no luck. The old guy at the desk didn't seem to care at all. On the flip side, there is Penang Free wifi, which is acceptable for surfing and downloading small files at 2-4 bars. I already paid for the day.

Stardust across the street from Tourist GH looked good, and they had a clean fan room for 26 RM, or big a/c room on 3rd floor for 40 RM. Clean, and toilets were shared.

Old penang guesthouse was full.

I may try Broadway Budget Hotel. 50/60 RM for 1/2 people. Looked fantastic for the price, just not on chulia st. No big deal moving around since i have the motorbike now. We'll see what happens.

The Digi Internet is pretty fast on the 3g network for tethering/surfing. And have phone # if I need it. From what the dealer told me, validity is good for 90 days from last recharge. I'll look to see if you can have that extended.

Edited by 4evermaat

• 3 weeks later...

Figured I'd update the thread. I stayed at Broadway Budget Hotel. Not bad place. They charge per person from 50 riggit +10 riggit a person in room. Air con, hot water. Wifi in the room. It stopped working on my laptop, but I reset the router outside my room and didn't have any problems after that. They clean the room every 2-3 days if you stay long enough. Our room, despite the screen, had mosquitos as there is a part the screen does not reach. Oh well.

I ended up going back to Star Lodge. Best value overall, and they have some western food.

There was one Karaoke club that stood out. There is no sign outside. I just so happen to run into it on my way to Indian restaurant, basement/below Oriental hotel. You'll see a calendar poster and you'll know you are going through the right door. The server women were hot, and the whole place looked like it had recently been renovated. It had a main area with bar and 3-5 semi private karaoke rooms. But I wanted to check out some other places first. on a tip from a local, I went to the end of the street and made a left around the corner (across from shell gas station) and there are some popular clubs there. about 85-90% of the ladies already had someone with them, or they were on their cell phones. I asked one of the bartenders where the singles girls were, she couldn't tell me. Maybe some other guys will have better luck. Definitely not in the Land of Smiles anymore.:bah:

By the time I came back to the Oriental Hotel, the Karaoke club was indeed closed at 1:30am. I went to several other karaoke clubs and they were really lacking. Either couples, or bartender. This was a Saturday night? They all close at 3am.