There's Something About Yingluck

webfact

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Many of the younger generation are certainly graduates of not so great American universities."

True, but why is it so? Why does an aspiring future leader choose a low-standards backwater university? It could hardly be for economic reasons, surely they could afford the fees of a quality institution, or the less-than-salubrious locations.

Might it be that they are chosen for the minimal required input of effort, and less-than-rigorous checking of who is actually writing the required papers? Sound a lot like some of the universities in Thailand, doesn't it?

I would think that one of the advantages of a "not so great American university" over a good Thai university, is that the American university encourages their students to think and to question.

Certainly. But the better unis REQUIRE it. And to attend, and to do the work personally. Most of the punters in Thailand wouldn't know the difference between the Uni of Okefenokee and MIT, and if your got that piece of vellum, well then it's not nepotism, you are being promoted because you are so well qualified.

She has an MBA from a very poorly ranked school in the USA, and took over running a company owned by her brother. She was given a title "President" when she was promoted as Thaksin's proxy to run the company. (See the assets seizure case) When she left the new people replaced here with ----- nobody. She then left to be the titular head of another family company. Perhaps you would like to compare her business experience with Korn?

The trouble is that jdinasia doesn't seem to understand the dynamics of Sino Thai family businesses.That's why, even if one discounts his political bias, his comments on this subject don't make much sense.It would be interesting to know exactly what business he is in because that might explain his confusion (I am guessing some kind of ELT).Most expatriates with reasonable business experience at corporate level in Thailand would know what I am about to relate without being told

There are countless numbers of very talented Thais who, because of their upbringing, operate within family businesses.For the most part there is no question of working for another group outside the family.Often the job description doesn't bear much resemblance to what is actually done.Bright and effective family members have functions and influence whereas the less gifted are usually sidelined.There is almost always a patriarch in the background.The more successful of these businesses have incorporated modern management methods but there is often a lack of transparency.Even when these family groups have one or more listed companies, there are often tensions on governance issues.This is neither good nor particularly bad, simply something that needs to be understood in Thailand.Many of the younger generation are certainly graduates of not so great American universities

All you have addressed here (in your often-adopted patronising manner), is why nepotism exists as it does here.

300-200 government majority of 100. The swing parties line up in return for posts and access to projects. The swing parties have no ideology or policy platform. They had an overall majority over all parties of around 30 too iirc and one of around 100 over the Dems. In a multi-party system with as many parties as Thailand has and a party list giving out significant amounts of seats to actually get a majority is quite a feat. The system was designed ot make it hard to get a majority and to leave divided coalition government as the default. An overall majority has only happened twice in Thailand. It is the second biggest electoral win Thailand has ever seen if you want it in technical terms. Personally i think they will beat it next time around although not match the thumping TRT win of 2005.

It is the second biggest electoral win Thailand has ever seen if you want it in technical terms.

That is not a technical term, that is stating it in terms understood by the Roy Castle Record Breakers audience.

The technical term is a majority by 3%. Everyone seems desperate to push this figure to the side and talk in grand superlatives, because they seem to feel this figure doesn't do the win justice. Well i'm sorry, but that is the figure, and no matter what records almost broken you care to state, nothing changes that nor changes the fact that calling the majority huge, overwhelming, very comfortable, thunderous etc etc is to indulge in exaggeration.

hammered

What makes you think they will do even better next time. They are just barley in the door and all ready backing down on their promises. That does not sound like a vote getting situation to me. Perhaps we should wait and see what they actually do. That will give us more of a idea on how the public will vote next time around.

Personally I think if they renege on the minimum wage, credit cards and high price for rice to the farmers they will be in big trouble.

Off topic but is Thaksin still saying every one will be rich in six months?

Several points:

1. They will implement at least some of the populaist policies

2. Investigations into April/May will expose not only anti-red things

3. They can control the rural feudal types

4. They will have a reshuffle or two of local civil servants

5. They will control local administration

6. They will be in power when the next election comes (The Dems are publically commenting onhow worried they are about being slaughtered becuase of this)

7. They are very good at campaigning

8. They are exceptional at use of media and they take the reigns of this from the Dems now

9. There will be no suppression of their media now

10. They are now seen as being back and legitimate to vote for.

11. (possibility only) The establishment will accept reality and cut a deal with them

12. The Dems are not going to be acceptable to most of the public while they remain seen as the party of the establishment and the Dems are doing nothing to rid themselves of this image

13. The Dems just reelected Abhisit

14. The Dems just chose a lightweight sec-gen who brings nothing to the table except defending currently held central seats south of BKK in the central region

15. (possibility) The Dems will rip themselves apart over Korn

1. They will implement at least some of the populaist policies

That is a given but they will not be able to implement the big vote getters. More than likely a little of them. But don't hold your breath waiting for the poor to get 300 baht a day

2. Investigations into April/May will expose not only anti-red things

True it will also expose solders doing their job to stop terrorists. The way I see it they will have to be very careful about who they pick to white wash their actions. Even if they had not invaded hospitals killed people they were guilty of illegally seizing public domain and depriving thousands of honest citizens out of a means to make money. Not to mention inciting their supporters to burn Bangkok down and actually trying to do it. Those are things that they can never justify or whitewash. As for the killings they have a boss who has the best spin doctors money can buy. They might be able to cover that up

True

True

True Three Four and Five are cover up procedures that they will be able to implement.

6. They will be in power when the next election comes (The Dems are publically commenting onhow worried they are about being slaughtered becuase of this)

Yes they will be in power. The trick is can they deliver on their big ticket items and cover up all their illegal activities in 2010. As for the Dems worrying I think it is a little early to worry unless they think the legs will be kicked out from under the PT soon. If it does go four years they should be able to have reinvented themselves by then. Abhist is no dum dum. He knows they have to change.

7. They are very good at campaigning

Not really. They are very good at promising the sky and when asked to explain it saying the time is not yet. Come the next election the average Thai voter I believe will be a bit more discerning about who they vote for. They will not be so quick to vote for pie in the sky.

8. They are exceptional at use of media and they take the reigns of this from the Dems now

True

9. There will be no suppression of their media now

Well at least of the media that makes them look like the victims.

10. They are now seen as being back and legitimate to vote for.

True

11. (possibility only) The establishment will accept reality and cut a deal with them

The possibility is there. What you are saying is that they will not deliver what they have promised and will have to cut a deal. More than likley. However the fact that they did not deliver will cause people to look on their deal offer with a little bit of skepticism. It might not causer a big change in the peoples attitude but remember they only got 3% more of the vote. They can not really afford to have to many things go wrong.

12. The Dems are not going to be acceptable to most of the public while they remain seen as the party of the establishment and the Dems are doing nothing to rid themselves of this image

At this time in time and space that is indeed the case. But if it goes four years the people might realize that they are just serving a different group of elite. What they have to do is show that they are serving the poor. And so far all we have is talk. [that is because they have not had time to deliver any thing] The near future will give us a idea of where they are going. Think about it promising a field hand 300 baht a day and not coming close to deliver it Makes them look more like they are favoring the elite.

13. The Dems just reelected Abhisit

If the election is soon that will defiantly be a positive point for them. If it is iun four years well who knows. Try applying the same logic you are using for reason to forecast their resounding victory in four years. Try to apply it to Abhist. You cant say one party will change and another one not in four years. (well Iguess you can you can also say the moon is made of green cheese saying it dosen't make it a fact just wishful thinking)

14. The Dems just chose a lightweight sec-gen who brings nothing to the table except defending currently held central seats south of BKK in the central region.

True but they are crucial seats

15. (possibility) The Dems will rip themselves apart over Korn

Not sure if I understand your reasoning on that.

To wrap it all up it seeems like you are figuring on a early election.

the dynamics of Sino Thai family businesses.

There is almost always a patriarch in the background.

One can only presume that of course the move made by Thaksin by installing his personal clone into the Prime Ministers position is a move to consolidate Thailand as a another subsidiary of his business empire,

Edited by siampolee

Yingluck is no different from most other sons or daughters who have inherited their father's (or mother's) previous position of power in the family business. It is de rigeur in most cases for obvious reasons. She cannot be criticised for that but neither can she be credited for it.

As everybody knows although few people, especially in the media, are actually saying it, Yingluck is doing what big brother tells her to do. That was her job in business and now it's the same in politics.

Now we just have to see what develops.

Edited by bigbamboo

She has an MBA from a very poorly ranked school in the USA, and took over running a company owned by her brother. She was given a title "President" when she was promoted as Thaksin's proxy to run the company. (See the assets seizure case) When she left the new people replaced here with ----- nobody. She then left to be the titular head of another family company. Perhaps you would like to compare her business experience with Korn?

The trouble is that jdinasia doesn't seem to understand the dynamics of Sino Thai family businesses.That's why, even if one discounts his political bias, his comments on this subject don't make much sense.It would be interesting to know exactly what business he is in because that might explain his confusion (I am guessing some kind of ELT).Most expatriates with reasonable business experience at corporate level in Thailand would know what I am about to relate without being told

There are countless numbers of very talented Thais who, because of their upbringing, operate within family businesses.For the most part there is no question of working for another group outside the family.Often the job description doesn't bear much resemblance to what is actually done.Bright and effective family members have functions and influence whereas the less gifted are usually sidelined.There is almost always a patriarch in the background.The more successful of these businesses have incorporated modern management methods but there is often a lack of transparency.Even when these family groups have one or more listed companies, there are often tensions on governance issues.This is neither good nor particularly bad, simply something that needs to be understood in Thailand.Many of the younger generation are certainly graduates of not so great American universities

All you have addressed here (in your often-adopted patronising manner), is why nepotism exists as it does here.

Yeppers ... it doesn't address the issues raised at all. Simply trying to get quoted to get my attention I guess.

zzzzzz

What we know is that she went to a crappy school. It is reasonable to assume that she wouldn't have gotten a job with anyone but family. Certainly not in an upper management position. The court made a decision regarding who was controlling the company when they upheld the assets seizure. We do know that when she left they replaced her with "nobody". We cannot assume from this that she is either "bright and effective" or "less gifted" but again we do know that her chosen replacement was "nobody"

The point I was making before was simply nepotism. In fact, i spelled it out in that one word to nurofiend.

What we know is that she went to a crappy school. It is reasonable to assume that she wouldn't have gotten a job with anyone but family.

The usual bile and poison from someone who believes the Redshirts murdered themselves.Ignore him.

What we know is that she went to a crappy school. It is reasonable to assume that she wouldn't have gotten a job with anyone but family.

The usual bile and poison from someone who believes the Redshirts murdered themselves.Ignore him.

Yet, you don't seem to be able to.

Yet, you don't seem to be able to.

:)

No bile and no poison in my post. She did go to a crappy school .. and it is reasonable that she wouldn't have gotten any (upper management) job from anyone but family. I am able to ignore anything jayboy posts unless someone quotes it :)

Note: I don't believe the "redshirts murdered themselves" that is a strawman --- I do believe that those paid "ronin" did indeed murder redshirts to increase the body count to try and force the government from power.

edit --- BTW this is the post that jayboy based the strawman on by selective quoting.

What we know is that she went to a crappy school. It is reasonable to assume that she wouldn't have gotten a job with anyone but family. Certainly not in an upper management position. The court made a decision regarding who was controlling the company when they upheld the assets seizure. We do know that when she left they replaced her with "nobody". We cannot assume from this that she is either "bright and effective" or "less gifted" but again we do know that her chosen replacement was "nobody"

The point I was making before was simply nepotism. In fact, i spelled it out in that one word to nurofiend.

Edited by jdinasia

These are the reasons the brought in this election and will the next and next, no-matter what they do while in power.

They would have to something outright, hysterically offensive to common man to not be re-elected as long as they control the rural feudal lords that have owned their constituencies one way or another for the last 30 years.

No bile and no poison in my post. She did go to a crappy school .. and it is reasonable that she wouldn't have gotten any (upper management) job from anyone but family. I am able to ignore anything jayboy posts unless someone quotes it :)

Note: I don't believe the "redshirts murdered themselves" that is a strawman --- I do believe that those paid "ronin" did indeed murder redshirts to increase the body count to try and force the government from power.

On the very day His Majesty the King endorses Yingluck Shinawatra as Thailand's first female Prime Minister this abuse from a repeated offender represents a startling lack of magnanimity.THe member's own unpleasant words are all that one needs to see to understand.

The comment on Red murdering "Ronin" is par for the course with this member.

30162301-01.jpg

Does anyone know how someone who has never before today served even a minute's worth of time with the government, governmental agency, government-backed program, etc.

.... can now don a civil service uniform, especially one complete with two rows of ribbons/medals?

What has she done in the 24 hours of her premiership to garner at least 6 citations/ribbons/medals?

Even more curious is her husband also wearing a civil service uniform with no prior service as well as her 9 year-old son who was bizarrely attired in the same white crisp uniform. His also had 2 rows of medals. What does a 9 year old do to earn such recognition?

btw, the other paper has the additional photos of Yingluck's husband and son in uniform at her appointment ceremony after endorsement.

I'll see if it is elsewhere to post here.

Edited by Buchholz

30162301-01.jpg

Does anyone know how someone who has never before today served even a minute's worth of time with the government, governmental agency, government-backed program, etc.

.... can now don a civil service uniform, especially one complete with two rows of ribbons/medals?

What has she done in the 24 hours of her premiership to garner at least 6 citations/ribbons/medals?

Even more curious is her husband also wearing a civil service uniform with no prior service as well as her 9 year-old son who was bizarrely attired in the same white crisp uniform. His also had 2 rows of medals. What does a 9 year old do to earn such recognition?

btw, the other paper has the additional photos of Yingluck's husband and son in uniform at her appointment ceremony after endorsement.

Tradition.

30162301-01.jpg

Tradition.

I don't recall Abhisit's children in civil service uniforms (complete with medals) at his endorsement.

Somchai's daughter was though at his, but then, as an adult, she was entitled to do so as a government employee. That she now stands to be stripped of her uniform through her still-pending impeachment for perjuring and lying by concealing her assets doesn't change that as, at the time, she was eligible.

I'd be most curious as to what Yingluck and Yingluck Junior's medals are specifically for.

Edited by Buchholz

30162301-01.jpg

Photos of the trio of highly-decorated war heroes are available with Khao Sod's newspaper:

http://www.khaosod.co.th/view_news.php?newsid=TUROd01ERXdNakE1TURnMU5BPT0=&sectionid=TURNd01RPT0=&day=TWpBeE1TMHdPQzB3T1E9PQ==

A correction to the above post is that Yingluck has three rows of medals, not two, and so she's received at least 9 medals, not 6, courtesy of The Nation's sister pub, Kom Chad Luek:

http://www.komchadluek.net/detail/20110809/105422/%E0%B9%82%E0%B8%9C%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%A1.%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%B4%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A9%E0%B8%93%E0%B9%8C1%E0%B8%A5%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%B9%E0%B8%AA%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%B7%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%AD%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%A5%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%A7.html

Thai Rath newspaper photos show several other clan members such as the black sheep older brother Payup (who, by rights, should now be PM) and also Somchai and his aforementioned daughter Chinnchia, who is still wearing her white uniform until it gets removed for her lying about money (alleged).

http://www.thairath.co.th/gallery/view/pol/3804#

Edited by Buchholz

Why is anybody surprised in a country where an uncle chugging on M-150 guarding an apartment block overnight wears so much bling anybody would think he'd charged a machine gun nest single handedly on D-Day.

On the very day His Majesty the King endorses Yingluck Shinawatra as Thailand's first female Prime Minister this abuse from a repeated offender represents a startling lack of magnanimity.THe member's own unpleasant words are all that one needs to see to understand.

Fashion?

30162301-01.jpg

Abhisit attended the top private school in UK because of the wealth of the family he was born into. Even though he was born and raised in UK he applied for entrance into Oxford University as a foreign student and (because of that) it is worth reflecting that while many UK students fail the Oxford and Cambridge entrance exams 'cash paying' foreign students get an easy ride and are welcomed with open arms by cash strapped UK universities. He then spent longer at Oxford than most students (or their) families could afford before returning to Thailand to lecture in law at Thamasat University. During this time he gave a series of pro bono law lectures to Army Officers on the condition that this would excuse him military service - which it did. Because of that illustrious service to his country he won the two rows of medals that he now proudly wears on his white uniform.

After becoming bored with Thamasat University he decided to enter politics and so, as with many wastrel or totally inexperienced sons of rich Thai families, at the age of 27 he was shooed into a safe Democrat seat. At the time Democrat MPs described him as a pretty face but totally inexperienced. He has been described as somebody with a very cold personality and few interests e.g. when asked what his favourite book was he gave the name of a book on economics. He is also someone who does not like to multi task and who takes a long time to come to a decision.

Comparing Abhisit's c.v. with Jingluck's c.v. and taking into account the fact that Abhisit has never won an election I think that I would go for Jingluck as the most suitable for PM.

Abhisit attended the top private school in UK because of the wealth of the family he was born into. Even though he was born and raised in UK he applied for entrance into Oxford University as a foreign student and (because of that) it is worth reflecting that while many UK students fail the Oxford and Cambridge entrance exams 'cash paying' foreign students get an easy ride and are welcomed with open arms by cash strapped UK universities. He then spent longer at Oxford than most students (or their) families could afford before returning to Thailand to lecture in law at Thamasat University.

I'm on record as being appalled at the lies and sheer nasty mindedness being peddled about Yingluck's educational background.

Equally I have to take this poster to task.There is, despite its associations with wealth and privilege, no easy entry to Eton: it is achieved either through scholarship or a high mark at the Common Entrance exam.There would have been no special favours for Abhisit.Equally he did not get to Oxford on a foreign quota (there's no such thing at Oxford) but like the rest of his Etonian contemporaries trying for Oxbridge sitting and passing a stiff series of exams and interview.While he was there he did the normal three year course for Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE) and achieved the highest honours possible (first class) in the final examinations.He had no easy ride and achieved high distinction.He is a clearly a first class intellect and I'm unaware of any other Thai politician, including Yingluck, who can approach him in academic achievement.

Abhisit attended the top private school in UK because of the wealth of the family he was born into. Even though he was born and raised in UK he applied for entrance into Oxford University as a foreign student and (because of that) it is worth reflecting that while many UK students fail the Oxford and Cambridge entrance exams 'cash paying' foreign students get an easy ride and are welcomed with open arms by cash strapped UK universities. He then spent longer at Oxford than most students (or their) families could afford before returning to Thailand to lecture in law at Thamasat University.

I'm on record as being appalled at the lies and sheer nasty mindedness being peddled about Yingluck's educational background.

Equally I have to take this poster to task.There is, despite its associations with wealth and privilege, no easy entry to Eton: it is achieved either through scholarship or a high mark at the Common Entrance exam.There would have been no special favours for Abhisit.Equally he did not get to Oxford on a foreign quota (there's no such thing at Oxford) but like the rest of his Etonian contemporaries trying for Oxbridge sitting and passing a stiff series of exams and interview.While he was there he did the normal three year course for Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE) and achieved the highest honours possible (first class) in the final examinations.He had no easy ride and achieved high distinction.He is a clearly a first class intellect and I'm unaware of any other Thai politician, including Yingluck, who can approach him in academic achievement.

It really is silly to belittle the academic backgrounds of people who have clearly achieved well, and better by a long way than most of us expats out here, to score political points. We have plenty to judge Abhisit on and will likely have plenty more. We will after the cabinet announcement have something to start to judge Yingluck and will no doubt find plenty more in the coming months

So all the students at Eton are there because they obtained scholarships or high pass marks in the Eaton entrance exam and the fact that 99.99% of them come from the richest families in the UK have nothing to do with it - apart from the fact that nobody else could afford them.

Also, I did not mention University quotas for foreign students as I have never heard of them but, for instance, I can tell you that it would be unlikely for any Thai student applying to a British or American university as a cash paying foreign student to be turned down no matter what standard of English he had obtained.

Edited by termad

So all the students at Eton are there because they obtained scholarships or high pass marks in the Eaton entrance exam and the fact that 99.99% of them come from the richest families in the UK have nothing to do with it - apart from the fact that nobody else could afford them.

I'm not disputing it's not a very privileged place but as you can see from the interview with the Headmaster the serious plan is to go "needs blind" like some of the great Ivy League universities.Already 250 boys receive serious financial support.Eton is way ahead of many other British private schools in the UK.Of course it will always be academically elitist.Some have a problem with that.Personally I don't.

The peculiar thing about the "needs blind" approach is that it is very much in accord with the founders intentions (Henry V1) back in the fifteenth century.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8681702/Society-is-ashamed-of-elitism-says-Eton-headmaster.html

Fashion?

Again, there is no abuse to point out that Yngluck went to a crappy school (unless of course you are that school and feel your name sullied by the statement but the school rates over 3000 down on the list. Jayboy brought up the strawman regarding the reds. He brought the issue up in an attempt to deflect things away from Yingluck, who certainly has some educational liabilities :) It is off topic but he wants to make it a topic :)

Yingluck's education would certainly have precluded her from being named into an upper-level management position if it were not for nepotism. The Thai court which ruled on the assets forfeiture case stated clearly that her brother was still running the show. This is just a typical attack at the poster and not the contents of the post yet again. It is a lame tactic but one resorted to quite often.

(Just saw Hammered's remark) --- Nepotism and cronyism is a hallmark of Thaksin politics more than in most parties (and most parties do have it to some degree!) but looking at the leader (of a government) and their background is certainly valid.

30162301-01.jpg

Because of that illustrious service to his country he won the two rows of medals that he now proudly wears on his white uniform.

So what illustrious service to Thailand has Yingluck (or her son) done in the past 24 hours to merit an additional row of medals greater than Abhisit?

Edited by Buchholz

30162301-01.jpg

Because of that illustrious service to his country he won the two rows of medals that he now proudly wears on his white uniform.

So what illustrious service to Thailand has Yingluck (or her son) done in the past 24 hours to merit an additional row of medals greater than Abhisit?

You're the one who raised the subject of medals worn - nobody else. But now I mention Abhisit's medals you don't want to talk about them? Typical of all your posts.

As to what Jinglucks's done to deserve medals well in case you haven't noticed Abhisit has been shown the door.

Edited by metisdead
Repaired the reply. Do not place your reply to a post inside the quote tags of the quoted post.