There's Something About Yingluck

webfact

Certainly better educated, more successful at work, and a better parent than a great many foreigners resident in Thailand.

And that makes her qualified to be the leader of a country of 60 million people?

You forgot to put "puppet" before leader!.

How does one gauge "successful at work"? or "better educated" when she worked for family only ..... and graduated from a really poorly rated school?

Guess we will get to find out. Although oddly enough the PM doesnt have to actually do that much beyond front up the government unlike other ministries which often require decisions to be made on technical issues

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Certainly better educated, more successful at work, and a better parent than a great many foreigners resident in Thailand.

And that makes her qualified to be the leader of a country of 60 million people?

You forgot to put "puppet" before leader!.

How does one gauge "successful at work"? or "better educated" when she worked for family only ..... and graduated from a really poorly rated school?

I guess you could gauge just how successful she was at, at least one of, her positions by looking at who the new owners replaced her with. Nobody.

and as usual, totally irrelevent and off topic.........

I would say that this piece by the nation is "off topic"

In the USA we elected George Bush ... twice, and he was certainly less educated, less successful at work, and not as good a parent as a great many foreigners resident in Thailand.

Give Yingluck a break - this piece by the Nation isn't worth the pixels it's published on...

Yingluck won't be able to overturn many things. And the factions already building against her will bring about delay and controversy, as is the Thai way of doing things; better yet, the way of doing things in most governments where systems like this exist.

I mention this in advance of all the additional anti-Thaksin, biased whining and moaning and sardonic statements that are to come during the course of her term.

How quickly things switch from all the pre-election talk of all the great things she would do, and how much better a job she would be capable of than Abhisit, to excuses to pre-empt her failure and why it won't be her fault.

A lot of overly critical, emphatically unfair and unjustified responses here. No original thought; just the same old crap negative responses to anything Shinawatra!

Only time will tell. The majority of the Thai people are happy with this outcome, as evidenced by the landslide victory. Maybe that happiness is a direct and opposite result of their angst over past "political instability, power play among government officials, economic downturn, rising cost of living, flooding and other natural disasters as well as poor infrastructure." Maybe they are hoping for a change. Maybe this has nothing to do with what foreigners think, and we are only witness to things about us.

Yingluck won't be able to overturn many things. And the factions already building against her will bring about delay and controversy, as is the Thai way of doing things; better yet, the way of doing things in most governments where systems like this exist.

I mention this in advance of all the additional anti-Thaksin, biased whining and moaning and sardonic statements that are to come during the course of her term.

I think most of you are being unfair towards something that has yet to play out, and came into existence through the system of democracy that you all promote and defend in your own countries; yet for some unforeseeable reason, cannot accept here. Now it's not Thaksin; it's her. Or, It's her, because of Thaksin; or even her and Thaksin together.

I say wait and see, and then be fair in the comments as a result of the good that comes to the Thai people's lives and well-being, on a general basis.

Because those same old crap responses are true. It's amazing at how the ardent Thaksin supporters tend to gloss over all the problems with Thaksin and the reds.

Most who voted for PTP really were voting emotionally, not logically. Even that blind poll showed a majority of the voters liked the dems platform better. And of course all the cash being handed out in the north helped sway things a bit. :whistling:

As for democracy, we support it! But that doesn't mean we like a fugitive from justice to be running things from the sideline. Even the Thai news is saying Yingluck is in the dark with regards to what is going on. So it's not about Yingluck, it's about Thaksin. He's the boss. Agreed the last PM was a puppet, now Thailand has another one. Hard to be excited about that.

How quickly things switch from all the pre-election talk of all the great things she would do, and how much better a job she would be capable of than Abhisit, to excuses to pre-empt her failure and why it won't be her fault.

I have seen that from more than one poster already ......

A lot of overly critical, emphatically unfair and unjustified responses here. No original thought; just the same old crap negative responses to anything Shinawatra!

Only time will tell. The majority of the Thai people are happy with this outcome, as evidenced by the landslide victory. Maybe that happiness is a direct and opposite result of their angst over past "political instability, power play among government officials, economic downturn, rising cost of living, flooding and other natural disasters as well as poor infrastructure." Maybe they are hoping for a change. Maybe this has nothing to do with what foreigners think, and we are only witness to things about us.

I think most of you are being unfair towards something that has yet to play out, and came into existence through the system of democracy that you all promote and defend in your own countries; yet for some unforeseeable reason, cannot accept here. Now it's not Thaksin; it's her. Or, It's her, because of Thaksin; or even her and Thaksin together.

I say wait and see, and then be fair in the comments as a result of the good that comes to the Thai people's lives and well-being, on a general basis.

Ummmm instead of landslide victory I suggest that you use a more appropriate term such as a parliamentary majority. Many other sources have used the word "landslide" but less than 50% of the votes doesn't quite qualify does it?

I don't personally expect Yingluck to make it through a full-term in office :)

There is a lot of speculation that in about a year PTP will call an election when the 111 are back and go for a huge majority. Who knows but if that is a strategy it doesnt give their extra-parliamentary enemies much time to react. The Dems in reselecting Abhisit seem to accept that if such were to occur, they would lose anyway, which is almost a certainty.

Apparently Thaksin doesn't much care for the 111 banned executives. Some of them didn't want Yingluk to stand for PM this time, eyeing the post themselves after next May. Thaksin knows the only ones he can trust are family,although he does have every Pheua Thai MP's resignation letter signed and in his pocket, so he plans on keeping the PM job in the family for 2 terms. But anything could happen over the next 4 years, if Yingluk makes a mess it will tarnish Thaksin's reputation.

Thaksin knows the only ones he can trust are family,although he does have every Pheua Thai MP's resignation letter signed and in his pocket, so he plans on keeping the PM job in the family for 2 terms.

May i ask where this story about Thaksin having resignation letters has come from? Source?

There is a lot of speculation that in about a year PTP will call an election when the 111 are back and go for a huge majority. Who knows but if that is a strategy it doesnt give their extra-parliamentary enemies much time to react. The Dems in reselecting Abhisit seem to accept that if such were to occur, they would lose anyway, which is almost a certainty.

Well, PTP supporters here are describing the 3% majority they did win as being huge, thunderous, overwhelming, very comfortable, not to mention a few other superlatives, so one wonders how it could actually be any bigger than it already is. biggrin.gif

The "Landslide" thing is what I find funny, using a natural disaster to describe the results of the election. :lol:

Let's look at some of her qualifications another way:

She climbed the corporate ladder rapidly (in the family company), despite a lack of qualifications. Obviously has no problems with nepotism.

How does having an MPA degree specializing in management information systems equal a lack of qualifications in your mind?

please answer this question straight

She climbed the corporate ladder rapidly (in the family company), despite a lack of qualifications. Obviously has no problems with nepotism.

How does having an MPA degree specializing in management information systems equal a lack of qualifications in your mind?

Let's see ... I'll do it.

She has an MBA from a very poorly ranked school in the USA, and took over running a company owned by her brother. She was given a title "President" when she was promoted as Thaksin's proxy to run the company. (See the assets seizure case) When she left the new people replaced here with ----- nobody. She then left to be the titular head of another family company. Perhaps you would like to compare her business experience with Korn?

Let's see ... I'll do it.

She has an MBA from a very poorly ranked school in the USA, and took over running a company owned by her brother. She was given a title "President" when she was promoted as Thaksin's proxy to run the company. (See the assets seizure case) When she left the new people replaced here with ----- nobody. She then left to be the titular head of another family company. Perhaps you would like to compare her business experience with Korn?

so what? her MBA doesn't count then? <deleted>

i'm not saying she didn't get helped out by her brother but to say she had a lack of qualifications is false....if she had a lack of qualifications, that means she would have no qualifications....if you lack something, then you don't have it.........i repeat, that is false

i'm not saying she didn't get helped out by her brother but to say she had a lack of qualifications is false....if she had a lack of qualifications, that means she would have no qualifications....if you lack something, then you don't have it.........i repeat, that is false

You can repeat it as often as you like. That still won't make it true. Could she have gotten her positions with ANY other company that wasn't owned by family? Could she have gotten there in a multi-national? Did she build anything on her own? Nope.

There is a simple word for Yingluck's career history. Nepotism.

Again, perhaps you'd like to compare her business experience to someone like Korn? (I am guessing you wouldn't like to do that at all :) )

BTW --- I wouldn't hire an MBA from the school she went to when I could have one from Mahidol, Chula, or Thammasat .... or the 3000+ other schools ranked higher than where she went :)

Edited by jdinasia

Could she have gotten her positions with ANY other company that wasn't owned by family? Could she have gotten there in a multi-national? Did she build anything on her own? Nope.

Did I say any of these things? Nope.

Does she have qualifications? Yup.

She is qualified because she won the general election.

Abhisit is not qualified because he lost the general election.

She is qualified because she won the general election.

Abhisit is not qualified because he lost the general election.

Well said.

Also, Yingluck has perfect set of teeth.... Abhisit has crooked teeth.

Can I have the name of Yingluck's dentist please. :)

You can repeat it as often as you like. That still won't make it true. Could she have gotten her positions with ANY other company that wasn't owned by family? Could she have gotten there in a multi-national? Did she build anything on her own? Nope.

There is a simple word for Yingluck's career history. Nepotism.

Again, perhaps you'd like to compare her business experience to someone like Korn? (I am guessing you wouldn't like to do that at all :) )

BTW --- I wouldn't hire an MBA from the school she went to when I could have one from Mahidol, Chula, or Thammasat .... or the 3000+ other schools ranked higher than where she went :)

No problem JD when the prime minister of Thailand comes to you begging for a job.........you will no doubt take great pleasure in refusing her application......:blink:

Actually. I was paraphrasing the original post which stated " Yingluck quickly climbed the executive ladder in her family business even though she does not have an academic background in business." Perhaps you should raise that issue with the author.

Further, I do have severe reservations about her qualifications. Thai unis are notorious for their "no-one fails" policy, and being a mega-rich hi-so is hardly likely to stop this being applied. Her choice of university in the US is also a matter of suspicion; perhaps she is more comfortable in the company of rednecks.

In the long run, it doesn't matter anyway, degrees are only pieces of paper, and she had another much more influential in her rapid rise. It's called a birth certificate.

cut//In the long run, it doesn't matter anyway, degrees are only pieces of paper, and she had another much more influential in her rapid rise. It's called a birth certificate.

How about we go back through Thailand's political history and work out how many of it's leading figures don't have a compelling birth certificate on their CV?

300-200 government majority of 100. The swing parties line up in return for posts and access to projects. The swing parties have no ideology or policy platform. They had an overall majority over all parties of around 30 too iirc and one of around 100 over the Dems. In a multi-party system with as many parties as Thailand has and a party list giving out significant amounts of seats to actually get a majority is quite a feat. The system was designed ot make it hard to get a majority and to leave divided coalition government as the default. An overall majority has only happened twice in Thailand. It is the second biggest electoral win Thailand has ever seen if you want it in technical terms. Personally i think they will beat it next time around although not match the thumping TRT win of 2005.

It is the second biggest electoral win Thailand has ever seen if you want it in technical terms.

That is not a technical term, that is stating it in terms understood by the Roy Castle Record Breakers audience.

The technical term is a majority by 3%. Everyone seems desperate to push this figure to the side and talk in grand superlatives, because they seem to feel this figure doesn't do the win justice. Well i'm sorry, but that is the figure, and no matter what records almost broken you care to state, nothing changes that nor changes the fact that calling the majority huge, overwhelming, very comfortable, thunderous etc etc is to indulge in exaggeration.

hammered

What makes you think they will do even better next time. They are just barley in the door and all ready backing down on their promises. That does not sound like a vote getting situation to me. Perhaps we should wait and see what they actually do. That will give us more of a idea on how the public will vote next time around.

Personally I think if they renege on the minimum wage, credit cards and high price for rice to the farmers they will be in big trouble.

Off topic but is Thaksin still saying every one will be rich in six months?

hammered

What makes you think they will do even better next time. They are just barley in the door and all ready backing down on their promises. That does not sound like a vote getting situation to me. Perhaps we should wait and see what they actually do. That will give us more of a idea on how the public will vote next time around.

Personally I think if they renege on the minimum wage, credit cards and high price for rice to the farmers they will be in big trouble.

But then again, Thaksin has a reputation for making promises and breaking them, but counter-measures it with spin and more promises that much of the public seems ready to buy.

Take for just one example, his claim in an earlier campaign that within six months he would solve the traffic problem in Bangkok.

The trouble is that jdinasia doesn't seem to understand the dynamics of Sino Thai family businesses.That's why, even if one discounts his political bias, his comments on this subject don't make much sense.It would be interesting to know exactly what business he is in because that might explain his confusion (I am guessing some kind of ELT).Most expatriates with reasonable business experience at corporate level in Thailand would know what I am about to relate without being told

There are countless numbers of very talented Thais who, because of their upbringing, operate within family businesses.For the most part there is no question of working for another group outside the family.Often the job description doesn't bear much resemblance to what is actually done.Bright and effective family members have functions and influence whereas the less gifted are usually sidelined.There is almost always a patriarch in the background.The more successful of these businesses have incorporated modern management methods but there is often a lack of transparency.Even when these family groups have one or more listed companies, there are often tensions on governance issues.This is neither good nor particularly bad, simply something that needs to be understood in Thailand.Many of the younger generation are certainly graduates of not so great American universities

cut//In the long run, it doesn't matter anyway, degrees are only pieces of paper, and she had another much more influential in her rapid rise. It's called a birth certificate.

How about we go back through Thailand's political history and work out how many of it's leading figures don't have a compelling birth certificate on their CV?

Strangely enough, I made exactly that observation on a different thread; Thailand will come closer to the democratic ideal when the first PM is elected that is NOT a hi-so multi-millionaire.

But the phrase that you are quoting was referring to her work history, though you are right in that the nepotism hasn't stopped at the family company gate. It seems to be a Shinawatra family trait.

K. Thaksin's stacking of the judiciary, police and army was one of the main reasons he was shown the (back) door - try it again and the result may be the same.

The trouble is that jdinasia doesn't seem to understand the dynamics of Sino Thai family businesses.That's why, even if one discounts his political bias, his comments on this subject don't make much sense.It would be interesting to know exactly what business he is in because that might explain his confusion (I am guessing some kind of ELT).Most expatriates with reasonable business experience at corporate level in Thailand would know what I am about to relate without being told

There are countless numbers of very talented Thais who, because of their upbringing, operate within family businesses.For the most part there is no question of working for another group outside the family.Often the job description doesn't bear much resemblance to what is actually done.Bright and effective family members have functions and influence whereas the less gifted are usually sidelined.There is almost always a patriarch in the background.The more successful of these businesses have incorporated modern management methods but there is often a lack of transparency.Even when these family groups have one or more listed companies, there are often tensions on governance issues.This is neither good nor particularly bad, simply something that needs to be understood in Thailand.Many of the younger generation are certainly graduates of not so great American universities

"Many of the younger generation are certainly graduates of not so great American universities."

True, but why is it so? Why does an aspiring future leader choose a low-standards backwater university? It could hardly be for economic reasons, surely they could afford the fees of a quality institution, or the less-than-salubrious locations.

Might it be that they are chosen for the minimal required input of effort, and less-than-rigorous checking of who is actually writing the required papers? Sound a lot like some of the universities in Thailand, doesn't it?

300-200 government majority of 100. The swing parties line up in return for posts and access to projects. The swing parties have no ideology or policy platform. They had an overall majority over all parties of around 30 too iirc and one of around 100 over the Dems. In a multi-party system with as many parties as Thailand has and a party list giving out significant amounts of seats to actually get a majority is quite a feat. The system was designed ot make it hard to get a majority and to leave divided coalition government as the default. An overall majority has only happened twice in Thailand. It is the second biggest electoral win Thailand has ever seen if you want it in technical terms. Personally i think they will beat it next time around although not match the thumping TRT win of 2005.

It is the second biggest electoral win Thailand has ever seen if you want it in technical terms.

That is not a technical term, that is stating it in terms understood by the Roy Castle Record Breakers audience.

The technical term is a majority by 3%. Everyone seems desperate to push this figure to the side and talk in grand superlatives, because they seem to feel this figure doesn't do the win justice. Well i'm sorry, but that is the figure, and no matter what records almost broken you care to state, nothing changes that nor changes the fact that calling the majority huge, overwhelming, very comfortable, thunderous etc etc is to indulge in exaggeration.

hammered

Off topic but is Thaksin still saying every one will be rich in six months?

Several points:

1. They will implement at least some of the populaist policies

2. Investigations into April/May will expose not only anti-red things

3. They can control the rural feudal types

4. They will have a reshuffle or two of local civil servants

5. They will control local administration

6. They will be in power when the next election comes (The Dems are publically commenting onhow worried they are about being slaughtered becuase of this)

7. They are very good at campaigning

8. They are exceptional at use of media and they take the reigns of this from the Dems now

9. There will be no suppression of their media now

10. They are now seen as being back and legitimate to vote for.

11. (possibility only) The establishment will accept reality and cut a deal with them

12. The Dems are not going to be acceptable to most of the public while they remain seen as the party of the establishment and the Dems are doing nothing to rid themselves of this image

13. The Dems just reelected Abhisit

14. The Dems just chose a lightweight sec-gen who brings nothing to the table except defending currently held central seats south of BKK in the central region

15. (possibility) The Dems will rip themselves apart over Korn

"Many of the younger generation are certainly graduates of not so great American universities."

True, but why is it so? Why does an aspiring future leader choose a low-standards backwater university? It could hardly be for economic reasons, surely they could afford the fees of a quality institution, or the less-than-salubrious locations.

Might it be that they are chosen for the minimal required input of effort, and less-than-rigorous checking of who is actually writing the required papers? Sound a lot like some of the universities in Thailand, doesn't it?

I don't really know but you pose a perfectly good question, and one I have wondered about myself.I agree it's not for economic reasons.

I think it's partly because the Thai schools and universities seem unable to prepare all but a few for high quality universities overseas.I know a British lecturer at Chula who told me that educational standards (achievement academically and intellectual curiosity) were higher among 14 year olds at the English public school he attended (Winchester I think)

It's also partly a matter of parental sophistication.Until quite recently most Thais who could afford it didn't seem to understand overseas educational ranking very well.I think however that's changing fast.I suspect the likes of Yingluck would now generally be attending better overseas schools.Posh English schools are full of Thais now:they weren't thirty years ago.This means that in UK at least more Thais will be going on to top tier (Russell Group) universities.

Notable that Abhisit and Korn (the examples that are always given of well educated politicians) both received their primary and secondary education mostly at elite British schools

"The majority of the Thai people are happy with this outcome, as evidenced by the landslide victory. "

I would suggest that a majority of Thai people are accepting of this outcome. The evidence certainly doesn't suggest a "landslide victory".

I look forward to the spin on why she can't implement her election promises, or why she can't control food prices, or why she can't keep the Thai economy healthy.

I would think that one of the advantages of a "not so great American university" over a good Thai university, is that the American university encourages their students to think and to question.