Import Taxes

Hi ppl,

I need to know about import tax, excise tax and Interior tax for

import of alcoholic beverages. I heard about import tax 60% of

the product value. Can this be right? I would also like to know

when the taxes should be payed. When reciving the products

from Cumstom or after when they are sold?

Hope for some help

Tomas

Hi ppl,

Hope for some help

Tomas

Keep a few bottles to "pay" the customs...

:o

More seriously, you have to pay taxes when you get the shippment (import taxes, and VAT)

Regarding the other taxes for alcohool as excise and Interior, I dont know the rule.

the product value. Can this be right?

Don't import anything before you have consulted with a reliable customs agent and verified ALL the related costs. Many agents will provide free quotation for these costs, so there is really no reason not to do that. Than use a good agent to handle the customs procedure in order to avoid (or minimize!) "extras".

That would be nice, wouldn't it? :o Sell first, pay later. :D In practice - no taxes, no goods.

Ok, so is it "only" the import tax that should be payed when the goods arrive? Any one who know?

Tomas

When the goods arrive, the customs will decide which category they belong to; They will select a Harmonized System code for it; For each such code there are set taxes rates. If you have shown them the product beforehand you can know what to expect.

In case import license is required for the products, it should be presented. Your Import/Export card should be presented as well. Than you need to pay the import tax according to category, and 7% VAT.

That's for most products. I never imported Alcohol, there might be extra taxes for that. Again, consult with a professional Customs Agent to make sure. Any big import should be treated with great care, as this system is not tolerant to mistakes - they have absolute control over your goods - every mistake will cost you.

Ok, so is it "only" the import tax that should be payed when the goods arrive? Any one who know?

Tomas

When the goods arrive, the customs will decide which category they belong to; They will select a Harmonized System code for it; For each such code there are set taxes rates. If you have shown them the product beforehand you can know what to expect.

In case import license is required for the products, it should be presented. Your Import/Export card should be presented as well. Than you need to pay the import tax according to category, and 7% VAT.

That's for most products. I never imported Alcohol, there might be extra taxes for that. Again, consult with a professional Customs Agent to make sure. Any big import should be treated with great care, as this system is not tolerant to mistakes - they have absolute control over your goods - every mistake will cost you.

Best advise. :o

Attention tax is not from the product value, it is from the landed costs. So product+shipping.

Hi ppl,

Hope for some help

Tomas

All what is said above is correct. Make sure you got all licences etc. and the right to import the specific brand (Their might be sole importers, already)

Customs will check your invoices (cif-value) and compare with values on similar previous imports to decide wether your declaration is correct or undervalued.

Once the cif-landed value is established applicable taxes and duties are applied, which can be:

Import duty, Surcharge/Special duty, Interior tax, Excise tax and VAT .

The total amount has to be paid in cash (or cashiers cheque by accepte banks) before the shipment can leave the customs area. Brokers, of course, will add their own handling fee.

Calculation: cif-value plus all above. Examples:

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Sampl...?menuNme=Sample

On a typical import of whiskey the total payment of all taxes and duties should come to about 169 % of the cif-value. you might have a look into this report, and good luck:

http://www.ustr.gov/assets/Document_Librar...ile472_7502.pdf