Dine From 99 Now Open

BugJackBaron

the dividends must be so good that you could afford to get 2 pairs of 650baht trainers then?

Of course. They also more than cover my day-to-day living expenses, including accommodation, which means I dont need to touch my other income streams at all.

Never really understood why some people feel the need to spend every penny they have, sometimes even before they have it, especially when the bulk of what people buy is ephemeral rubbish. That's consumerism, I suppose.

the dividends must be so good that you could afford to get 2 pairs of 650baht trainers then?

Of course. They also more than cover my day-to-day living expenses, including accommodation, which means I dont need to touch my other income streams at all.

Never really understood why some people feel the need to spend every penny they have, sometimes even before they have it, especially when the bulk of what people buy is ephemeral rubbish. That's consumerism, I suppose.

Very conflicting views on your lifestyle? One buying 650 baht trainers, the other you have sooo much income from your dividends you do need to touch your other income streams? You then you slag comsumerism - yes now I'm confused or you aren't what you appear.

A couple of weeks ago, I parked with the intention to going to the nearby Pie place. Surprise, it seems to be closed, as are most of the other shops in that building.

Saw the sign for 99 baht and went in, sat down, read the menu, and left.

195 for a full breakfast, when I can buy the same for 110 baht less than 1 km away, makes no sense to me.

The new Pig and Whistle is pricey also ---- and the trick of charging your cup of tea or coffee as an extra is annoying.

It comes across to me as ''Okay, you were stupid enough to be ripped off on the price, so we are going to rip you again''

A couple of weeks ago, I parked with the intention to going to the nearby Pie place. Surprise, it seems to be closed, as are most of the other shops in that building.

Saw the sign for 99 baht and went in, sat down, read the menu, and left.

195 for a full breakfast, when I can buy the same for 110 baht less than 1 km away, makes no sense to me.

The new Pig and Whistle is pricey also ---- and the trick of charging your cup of tea or coffee as an extra is annoying.

It comes across to me as ''Okay, you were stupid enough to be ripped off on the price, so we are going to rip you again''

Does anyone have the skinny (or fat) on the new Jomtien Pig Whistle? It is branded differently than the Pattaya PW (something additional about a bar with a new name) and I noticed the PRICING is higher on the specials. Is it directly owned by the same people as Pattaya, or is this some kind of hybrid operation as I suspect?

Annoying and extremely expensive if, like me, you tend to have 3 cups of coffee with your breakfast, and like to catch up with the day's news whilst you are drinking them.

I much prefer a buffet, the entire cost of which (105B) comes to less than the cost of 3 coffees in many places.

Annoying and extremely expensive if, like me, you tend to have 3 cups of coffee with your breakfast, and like to catch up with the day's news whilst you are drinking them.

I much prefer a buffet, the entire cost of which (105B) comes to less than the cost of 3 coffees in many places.

What is it with Buffets and cheap Charlies? I much prefer to have the food I want cooked to order and am happy to pay a premium for that. I had enough of queuing for semi cold food whilst at school, now I have grown up and earn enough money, I like to enjoy my food.

Edited by RabC

Very conflicting views on your lifestyle? One buying 650 baht trainers, the other you have sooo much income from your dividends you do need to touch your other income streams? You then you slag comsumerism - yes now I'm confused or you aren't what you appear.

I remember sitting in an open-air bar here some 20 years ago, back when bars were still fun and cheap.

I was always known as a "cheap charlie", but the lady bar owner had my number. "You're just like me", she said. "You've got money but you don't waste it". She now owns a large number of houses in a town in northern Thailand.

Just because someone has a lot of money doesn't mean that they either want or need to spend it all. I can buy what I want without having to worry about the cost, it's just that there are very few things I want, and with a few exceptions like a great TV or good speakers for my hifi, or a nice view from my house/condo, I don't really see the point of buying something that costs x when I could get something more or less the same for much less.

Many other people seem to be the other way around: wanting more than they can afford, and that sounds like bad news to me. At the risk of sounding Yoda-esque, consumerism leads to unhappiness and dissatisfaction, and eventually to some of the lowest possible human activity as we saw in the UK riots recently. Consumerism, the mad lust for growth/profit and the resulting absurd levels of debt are also the direct cause of the current global economic crisis.

Thankfully I'm completely immune to the shopping disease, but until everyone else gets vaccinated there is little hope for mankind or, much more importantly, the planet he lives on.

What is it with Buffets and cheap Charlies? I much prefer to have the food I want cooked to order and am happy to pay a premium for that. I had enough of queuing for semi cold food whilst at school, now I have grown up and earn enough money, I like to enjoy my food.

My objection to regular breakfast places is that I don't get what I want; I get what the owner/staff want, and I'm expected to pay through the nose for it.

If you choose the right buffet you wont have to queue, you wont have cold food, and you will get your toast and eggs done precisely how you want them, because you can stand there and tell the girl exactly what to do and exactly when to do it, and on top of that you can have as much tea/coffee/juice as you fancy for no extra charge. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Buffets are for people who, like me, want to have the meal they would make for themselves at home, without having to peel the vegetables or wash the dishes or do the shopping or put up with the smell of cooking in the house for the rest of the day. I think of it as having a maid/cook without the hassle of actually employing anyone.

My objection to regular breakfast places is that I don't get what I want; I get what the owner/staff want, and I'm expected to pay through the nose for it.

If you choose the right buffet you wont have to queue, you wont have cold food, and you will get your toast and eggs done precisely how you want them, because you can stand there and tell the girl exactly what to do and exactly when to do it, and on top of that you can have as much tea/coffee/juice as you fancy for no extra charge. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Buffets are for people who, like me, want to have the meal they would make for themselves at home, without having to peel the vegetables or wash the dishes or do the shopping or put up with the smell of cooking in the house for the rest of the day. I think of it as having a maid/cook without the hassle of actually employing anyone.

So they are great if you are a fussy demanding cheap Charlie. I rest my case.

So they are great if you are a fussy demanding cheap Charlie. I rest my case.

I have to admit that I would much rather pay the price to get something that I actually want, rather than a bunch of cheap, lukewarm swill at the Apex or places of that ilk.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I have to admit that I would much rather pay the price to get something that I actually want, rather than a bunch of cheap, lukewarm swill at the Apex or places of that ilk.

The trick is to find the right buffet, that has the things you want.

You will never see me in the Apex or Lek, even though I live less than 3 minutes' waddle from both.

I remember sitting in an open-air bar here some 20 years ago, back when bars were still fun and cheap.

I was always known as a "cheap charlie", but the lady bar owner had my number. "You're just like me", she said. "You've got money but you don't waste it". She now owns a large number of houses in a town in northern Thailand.

Just because someone has a lot of money doesn't mean that they either want or need to spend it all. I can buy what I want without having to worry about the cost, it's just that there are very few things I want, and with a few exceptions like a great TV or good speakers for my hifi, or a nice view from my house/condo, I don't really see the point of buying something that costs x when I could get something more or less the same for much less.

Many other people seem to be the other way around: wanting more than they can afford, and that sounds like bad news to me. At the risk of sounding Yoda-esque, consumerism leads to unhappiness and dissatisfaction, and eventually to some of the lowest possible human activity as we saw in the UK riots recently. Consumerism, the mad lust for growth/profit and the resulting absurd levels of debt are also the direct cause of the current global economic crisis.

Thankfully I'm completely immune to the shopping disease, but until everyone else gets vaccinated there is little hope for mankind or, much more importantly, the planet he lives on.

Darrel you surely must be a wonderful and well respected individual if a bar lady told you "you are just like me". And you further substantiate this with the comment "she now owns a number of houses" - it is even further proof you are brilliant and share the limelight with the likes of Warren Buffet of this planet.

Thanks for the brilliant rant on commsumerism, it makes me want to give my new vehicles to a needy individual - do you want them Darrel???:whistling: Actually I should find someone else because you stated your dividend shares are paying so well you don't need to touch your other financial investments. Why do you need this if you aren't a "consumer" and are immune to consumerism? Next time you should treat yourself (just this once though) and buy a pair of 750 baht training shoes instead of the 650 baht ones. :rolleyes:

So what are the best buffets?

Times and prices would be great.

105B sounds good if I have a TGF in tow.

Thanks

Ok, here are the Winners (my opinion only, krap):

Best Buffet Breakfast: Bistro Oscar, Jomtien Complex (formerly: Poseidon) @ 185 baht (app)

Very nice & diverse array of breakfast & brunch foods, prepared and displayed elegantly. A cut above the rest. You get what you pay for...

Best (Big English) Breakfast: Alto's, Thappraya Rd. (on the hill, just up from the 3rd Rd. overpass) @ 110 baht

Big... English... Brekkie... with all the fixins'. Good food & service; changes accommodated graciously, too. It is what it is (or what you want it to be)...

If you search for breakfast on the Pattaya Forum, you'll get all the details on these 2 places and much, much more.

B)

Darrel you surely must be a wonderful and well respected individual if a bar lady told you "you are just like me". And you further substantiate this with the comment "she now owns a number of houses" - it is even further proof you are brilliant and share the limelight with the likes of Warren Buffet of this planet.

Thanks for the brilliant rant on commsumerism, it makes me want to give my new vehicles to a needy individual - do you want them Darrel???:whistling: Actually I should find someone else because you stated your dividend shares are paying so well you don't need to touch your other financial investments. Why do you need this if you aren't a "consumer" and are immune to consumerism? Next time you should treat yourself (just this once though) and buy a pair of 750 baht training shoes instead of the 650 baht ones. :rolleyes:

Buzz off w/ all this trolling on Darrel before a mod comes down on you. His business is his business, who cares what he does w/ his own money. What's with all the worship of Big Spenders around here? Probably half of our Big Spenders (of other people's money) are living in cold water council estates.

Could we get back on topic now?

Edited by JSixpack

So what are the best buffets?

Times and prices would be great.

105B sounds good if I have a TGF in tow.

As mentioned, there are many breakfast threads on here, so a search will pay dividends (sic :) ).

Apex and Lek (both near big Mike Shopping Mall on 2nd Rd) are usually mentioned, though personally I wouldn't go to either. They cost 150B and function until around 1pm.

Diana Inn is next door to Apex, and I think it is better value for 110B, though the choice of items is less and may not suit everyone. Closes at 10:30

Just up Soi Diana is Diana Dragon, which does a similar buffet for 105B. Technically open till 12 but they start clearing everything away at 11:30. I like this place best amongst the cheapies, as it has some character and the eggs are always done to order.

All the above have Thai dishes and the usual toast, eggs, cornflakes etc., so should suit both farang and Thai people. Both the Diana places have proper bacon, which the Apex and Lex dont have, as a rule.

The Poseidon in Jomtien was mentioned. The former owner of that place moved their brunch buffet to Casa Pascal, opposite the Royal Garden on 2nd Rd, a few months ago. Personally I think it is the best quality breakfast buffet in Pattaya for the price, which is 187B (10% loyalty card available). Many good ingredients like proper bread (several types), proper croissants, proper muesli, yoghurt, honey, home-made jam, all the eggs, bacon, waffles etc done to order as you want it. A couple of Thai dishes (very tasty ones, usually), some farang hot dishes (they had osso bucco the other day, which was really good), salad items and cold meats/fish. This is a real brunch buffet, and well worth a try. The juice is dire though. I cant imagine what they do to it to make it taste so bad. Closes at 2, I think.

At the moment the best thai food place in jomtien is a restaurant opposite soi 5 just a cross the road and they have draught 1 liter for 99 baht. My favorite there chicken cashey nuts - 50 baht.

Breakfast and burgers place definitely simple simon soi 5 also.

The thai place you are talking about is Mr. Moo....yes its good and cheap

I'm sure that the CEOs of these establishments are really depressed that a discriminating gentleman such as yourself is boycotting them. :D

I should worry.

I own shares in a couple of restaurant chains but I dont eat there. Also own shares in Apple but would never own an Apple product. Neither is a boycott: I just think the products are overpriced and above all not to my taste, and so I don't buy them. A boycott is something very different indeed as it involves choosing not to buy something for reasons that are unrelated to its value or quality.

Lots of clowns around that do like those things though, and their cash keeps paying my dividends. :)

LOL

At the moment the best thai food place in jomtien is a restaurant opposite soi 5 just a cross the road and they have draught 1 liter for 99 baht. My favorite there chicken cashey nuts - 50 baht.

Breakfast and burgers place definitely simple simon soi 5 also.

The thai place you are talking about is Mr. Moo....yes its good and cheap

May be good for cheap eats, but far from the best Thai food in the Jomtien area...

B)

Re: Pig and Whistle.

Yes, overpriced. We need a protest: Western breakfast must include coffee in price :)

Don't they get that?

And what is with the invasion of the sports bars in Jomtien? Burbon street soon to open and another

already opened in Rumpo complex behind jomtien market.

Is some greedy investor thinking that there are enough sports fans to make it worthwhile?

As for Dine for 99, in fairness it does have about four items on the menu at that price and is somewhat cheaper

on average that these sports bar rip-offs.

Edited by BugJackBaron

What exactly is a sports bar?

Is it just a normal beer-bar which shows sporting events on big TV screens? Or is there some aspect to it which I have missed?

I speak as someone who hasn't set foot in any sort of bar, disco or club for over 20 years, and hopefully never will again before I die.