Where To Live In Thailand?

exaviar

OP.

I am planning on moving my family to thailand for at least a year

It seems to me that you are in charge of the family, 20 years younger than your "partner" heavy duty mechanic, stocktrader. May I ask where you are coming from? :rolleyes:

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP.

It seems to me that you are in charge of the family, 20 years younger than your "partner" heavy duty mechanic, stocktrader. May I ask where you are coming from? :rolleyes:

You're not keeping up. She is living in Canada, thinks she can work in Thailand without a work permit, and has no idea what it takes to get a kid into a good international school here. She'd have a heart attack regardless of her age if she knew how much that was going to cost her. Might have to have hubby do more stock trades and fewer tune ups of the dozers.

OP.

You're not keeping up. She is living in Canada, thinks she can work in Thailand without a work permit, and has no idea what it takes to get a kid into a good international school here. She'd have a heart attack regardless of her age if she knew how much that was going to cost her. Might have to have hubby do more stock trades and fewer tune ups of the dozers.

Yes I know , couldn't bother to read all the replies before I posted. :sorry:

tartempion: no I don't and I don't know, why wouldn't I want to? Beaches, Open Ocean, sea food, happy people? Am I missing something?

Living in Thailand is difficult as a new-comer. The culture will confuse you. The language will confuse you. Your children will be confused.

If she's not a Troll, then believe me, she's already confused. No need to move here.

tartempion: no I don't and I don't know, why wouldn't I want to? Beaches, Open Ocean, sea food, happy people? Am I missing something?

Living in Thailand is difficult as a new-comer. The culture will confuse you. The language will confuse you. Your children will be confused.

If she's not a Troll, then believe me, she's already confused. No need to move here.

If she's confused. What about her "partner"? :rolleyes:

As for the work permit issue, thanks for the advice and we checked and we don't need one for our plan at this time. We will be staying under a self supporting visa.

First thing you should look in to is what visa you can get, there is nothing called "self supporting visa".

For getting a year visa you must be working for a Thai company, retired(over 50) or married to a Thai national (the most common qualifications).

Seems you only qualify for tourist visas that will give you 60 days at entry that can be extended by 30 days for 1900 baht at immigrations.

You probably can get a double entry tourist visa that will give you a total of 180 days (must leave and re-enter Thailand after 90 days).

Any kind of work in Thailand without a work permit is illegal.

Be sure to not get caught.

Agree, I suspect you have received some wrong advice about both visa and work permit requirements.

Have you ever visited another country, except for a country with a very similar culture, lifestyle, behaviors and same language? Have you ever lived in another country?

Have you ever been to an Asian country?

Why did you select Thailand?

Why not visit for one month on holiday and do some on the ground research, before you make the decision to move for one year or more?

Edited by scorecard

The requirement to live close to a city is more so for the children, so we can take them to events and get clothing a decent prices and go for dinners and by our household items and such. We want to live about half an hour away from a city if that helps any ?

[...]

Thanks for the internet advice, I wonder what you're all using for connection right now if you are in Thailand? We mainly use DSL and cable here in Canada and I'm familure with satellite as well… I would definitely have to base my move on the internet connections there, which sounds silly but that it out livelihood.

You don't need to live close to a city to get what you have listed except perhaps 'events', not sure what events you would like.

I use 3BB, 12M D-1M U and get this speed 24/7. Paid a year up front and got 10% off which make it around 1,200 pm. I did have to pay an addition cost for installation as I live in the bush and required 1km of cable to hook up to the exchange. Put a smile on the face of the locals when I then provided free wifi for them. Monthly data usage for myself is around 200GB

I had a cleaner who came in a couple of times a week for an hour who also done my laundry for 300 Baht a week but do not have one now. I live alone, don't make any mess and clean up dishes etc as I go. There is a laundy 30 seconds away from me who charge only a token price, perhaps because they too use my wifi. Once every 3 months I get a couple of locals in to clean the place top to bottom while I'm away on a visa run and give them 400 Baht each. They also leave a dinner in the fridge for when I get back to boot.They say it takes about 4 hours though I suspect they knock it out in an hour or so, make some food for themselves (which I said they could do), sit down and watch a couple of hours of Thai TV on a big LCD with surround sound.

I'm very much part of the community, give and receive things such as fish, fresh honey, lifts here and there. I also fix their computers for nothing when they have a problem and buy local, garden grown produce. The area is very quiet, has no crime. Within 30 minutes I can go to Tesco Lotus, Big C, Makro, bowling, cinema with English speaking movies, beach, waterfalls, may western restaurants, bars both local and western, markets with food or other produce. There is however, nothing close by for children to do but this is not an issue for me as I don't have any.

Your mild religious conviction is going to be a non issue as is my well known anti-theist stance. It may though be an issue if you decide to live at the very south of Thailand.

One thing to consider if you decide on a gated community is that you will looked at as aloof and unwilling to be part of Thailand. You will also never get to see and experience many of the true wonders of the country. Most of the people in Thailand are very poor by western standards but they have a richness in their life which most westerners will never ever have. If you can immerse yourself in Thai culture as much as possible then you will become a better person for it.

You place gays, blacks, jews and the disabled in the same group as prostitutes, do you?

Indeed I do.

The group being "people".

Not sure that some posters here qualify to join the group though. :(

Thieves, murderers, rapists and polticians are people too.

thanks to those who gave constructive or sound advice, i appreaciate it

To those who state they get out of bed in the morning in order to come on this forum and laugh at others honest questions,,, well thats sad and I hope you dont call your self worldly because that very narrow minded and childish. But as I well know there are people like you everywhere and your lifes are very empty and trivial. :) best of luck to you.

As for the 200,000 bhat that seems a little steep, i have found very suitable housing for under $1,000 canadian which is pretty par with USD... AND THATS 1/5th of what we pay here. So thats very much a savings and the workers there seem to average about $100 to $300 USD per month for our needs, and that an amazing save. The same here would be $2,000 min for one worker.

The schooling doesnt seem that bad either about $500 for my one child per month, but i think i will go with a tutour seeing as i dont feel safe allowing him to bus.

And as for hair colour and eyes colour in north america, we cannot travel to south america without plenty of warning not to let our children out of our sight do to high kidnapping rates... this is of very high concern to me,,, should it not be?

And as for the heavy duty/stock trader comment... that actually did make my day that no one understands diversity and for anyone to think they understand both those area's at once.... my partner could fix the largest peice of farm equipment or repair your imported sports car to a dime, while explaining commodities and the planetary alignment to you at the same time. .. so im understanding that may go over some heads.

And a self supporting visa is something my country will grant me , as thailand will allow us to enter the country based on the fact we are not taking any jobs but bringing jobs to your economy as well as spending our money in the country and bringing them revenu. Hence we take nothing away from the economy but yet we manage to support ourselfs "self supporting visa" If you have a certain amount in your account you are allowed to be "self supporting" in almost any country, including the one im in :)

And i work in the daytime,...

anyways i came here to be educated, but i can see im actually having to educate others....

thanks to the ones who tolk the seriuose time to share your valid possitive and negative points of thailand with me... again its appreciated and i wish you luck on your journeys. :)

Hello, I must point out that I agree with some posters, who say that you are planning based on a false assumption regarding the visa. Maybe there are types of visas in some other countries, for foreigners who enter the country to invest a large sum and live there, but seriously and factually, not in Thailand. Not even a 50 million Baht investment can buy you such a visa.

When you say that you are planning to contribute to the Thai economy, by hiring a driver, gardener, housemaid and tutor, this is downright laughable. Big investor ? Are you aware what you are talking about, Thailand does not need your investment, you might be in the need of theirs. Tourism and foreigners contribute around 3-5% to the Thai GDP, and there are many Thais who keep saying they don t need you, which is absolutely right.

You have obviously made up most of your plan using false information. This is regarding the visa type and also the fact that you need to live a low-profile life, otherwise you are violating the work laws of your host country. As for hiring locals, keep in mind that this is not the typical "hire-fire" country, when firing a local because of a small problem, in Asia this means "loss of face" and can result into a revenge based tragedy. You should learn a bit more about the culture and the social life before you impose yourself into a dangerous trap.

I give you one strong advice , the same which has also emerged in this post - go have a holiday in Thailand, experience the infrastructure, speak to expats living there, check out conditions and prices , Phuket has international schools as well as Hua Hin has one, both offer acceptable internet speeds for your needs ( however, illegal and i would never mention to the company setting up your internet that you trade stocks from out of there) and, most of all, please go check with the Embassy of Thailand in Canada on the visa types you will be able to obtain to give you a one year stay, without having to do border runs, as this is the weakest part of your plan.

if I had any doubt before, it is definitely gone now....no doubt this is a troll.....I mean creating your own visa type etc....how ridiculous! I reckon this was part of a sociology class experiment to see how people react to various absurd propositions.......cased closed!

To those who state they get out of bed in the morning in order to come on this forum and laugh at others honest questions,,, well thats sad and I hope you dont call your self worldly because that very narrow minded and childish. But as I well know there are people like you everywhere and your lifes are very empty and trivial. :) best of luck to you.

As for the 200,000 bhat that seems a little steep, i have found very suitable housing for under $1,000 canadian which is pretty par with USD... AND THATS 1/5th of what we pay here. So thats very much a savings and the workers there seem to average about $100 to $300 USD per month for our needs, and that an amazing save. The same here would be $2,000 min for one worker.

The schooling doesnt seem that bad either about $500 for my one child per month, but i think i will go with a tutour seeing as i dont feel safe allowing him to bus.

And as for hair colour and eyes colour in north america, we cannot travel to south america without plenty of warning not to let our children out of our sight do to high kidnapping rates... this is of very high concern to me,,, should it not be?

And as for the heavy duty/stock trader comment... that actually did make my day that no one understands diversity and for anyone to think they understand both those area's at once.... my partner could fix the largest peice of farm equipment or repair your imported sports car to a dime, while explaining commodities and the planetary alignment to you at the same time. .. so im understanding that may go over some heads.

And a self supporting visa is something my country will grant me , as thailand will allow us to enter the country based on the fact we are not taking any jobs but bringing jobs to your economy as well as spending our money in the country and bringing them revenu. Hence we take nothing away from the economy but yet we manage to support ourselfs "self supporting visa" If you have a certain amount in your account you are allowed to be "self supporting" in almost any country, including the one im in :)

anyways i came here to be educated, but i can see im actually having to educate others....

thanks to the ones who tolk the seriuose time to share your valid possitive and negative points of thailand with me... again its appreciated and i wish you luck on your journeys. :)

The requirement to live close to a city is more so for the children, so we can take them to events and get clothing a decent prices and go for dinners and by our household items and such. We want to live about half an hour away from a city if that helps any ?

[...]

Thanks for the internet advice, I wonder what you're all using for connection right now if you are in Thailand? We mainly use DSL and cable here in Canada and I'm familure with satellite as well… I would definitely have to base my move on the internet connections there, which sounds silly but that it out livelihood.

You don't need to live close to a city to get what you have listed except perhaps 'events', not sure what events you would like.

I use 3BB, 12M D-1M U and get this speed 24/7. Paid a year up front and got 10% off which make it around 1,200 pm. I did have to pay an addition cost for installation as I live in the bush and required 1km of cable to hook up to the exchange. Put a smile on the face of the locals when I then provided free wifi for them. Monthly data usage for myself is around 200GB

I had a cleaner who came in a couple of times a week for an hour who also done my laundry for 300 Baht a week but do not have one now. I live alone, don't make any mess and clean up dishes etc as I go. There is a laundy 30 seconds away from me who charge only a token price, perhaps because they too use my wifi. Once every 3 months I get a couple of locals in to clean the place top to bottom while I'm away on a visa run and give them 400 Baht each. They also leave a dinner in the fridge for when I get back to boot.They say it takes about 4 hours though I suspect they knock it out in an hour or so, make some food for themselves (which I said they could do), sit down and watch a couple of hours of Thai TV on a big LCD with surround sound.

I'm very much part of the community, give and receive things such as fish, fresh honey, lifts here and there. I also fix their computers for nothing when they have a problem and buy local, garden grown produce. The area is very quiet, has no crime. Within 30 minutes I can go to Tesco Lotus, Big C, Makro, bowling, cinema with English speaking movies, beach, waterfalls, may western restaurants, bars both local and western, markets with food or other produce. There is however, nothing close by for children to do but this is not an issue for me as I don't have any.

Your mild religious conviction is going to be a non issue as is my well known anti-theist stance. It may though be an issue if you decide to live at the very south of Thailand.

One thing to consider if you decide on a gated community is that you will looked at as aloof and unwilling to be part of Thailand. You will also never get to see and experience many of the true wonders of the country. Most of the people in Thailand are very poor by western standards but they have a richness in their life which most westerners will never ever have. If you can immerse yourself in Thai culture as much as possible then you will become a better person for it.

I like you Gumbo your down to earth and tell it as it is no bs, you stand out from the rest of the miserable cockroaches.

i think i will go with a tutour seeing as i dont feel safe allowing him to bus.

Yes......good idea. There might be prostitutes on the bus. Oh....and he might get kidnapped because of his blonde hair and blue eyes.

Couldn't one of the many workers you hire take your little mummy's boy to school?

my partner could fix the largest peice of farm equipment or repair your imported sports car to a dime, while explaining commodities and the planetary alignment to you at the same time

Do you think he could scratch his nuts with his socket wrench while pleasuring his mistress with a rolled up copy of the latest stock report....at the same time of course?

And a self supporting visa is something my country will grant me

You need a visa for your own country? Or do you mean your country will grant you this imaginary visa for Thailand?

What a load of <deleted>

Edited by nottocus

I like you Gumbo your down to earth and tell it as it is no bs, you stand out from the rest of the miserable cockroaches.

Well thank you very much. I wouldn't go so far as to call any member a miserable cockroach though the level of help and friendliness afforded to the OP by some posters is far below that which I would consider nice. Exaviar came with an admitted request for knowledge and as a fellow human I'm more than willing to impart that which I know. Even if the information I provide is not used or even seen by exaviar it still exists and will continue to exist within the archives oft he forum and be of use to someone else. The accusations of 'troll' toward the OP could be well founded (I think not) but the time spent by myself and some others in offering help is never going to be a loss to others as it is our time which is given.

Good morning.

You appear to not be able to accept honest answers to your questions. Calling the repliers narrow minded and childish.The truth is your posts appear very trollish in that there is little reality in it for most of us who have a history here in Thailand.

200,000 a month for the lifestyle you are looking for isnot uncommon. You say you have found a house for less than $1000 canadian so where will you be living may I ask. You also state that $1000 rent is 1/5 of what you pay now. Well $5000 is 150,000 baht is case you didnot know. So why is 200,000 a month a little steep here to live?Since it appears now you have found a home to stay at. Tell us that then we can give real constructive answers.

Good luck finding a tutor being right off the plane.

Did your kids inherit their blond hair from you?

Being a Canadian man I can definitely see how your husband can be the man you say he is. To be honest this is the only part of your thread that is possible as far as I can see.

Your self supporting visa is straight bullshit and admit it.

There are many more strong headed,ignorant,bullish woman in Canada ,which was one of the reasons I moved to Thailand. In respect for Thai Visa rules I willnot say you are one of them, but if the shoe fits wear it.

It appears as if you donot get the answers you want the people replying are at fault. So tell us what you want to hear so we can repy to make you happy.

Edited by lovelomsak

......my partner could fix the largest peice of farm equipment or repair your imported sports car to a dime, while explaining commodities and the planetary alignment to you at the same time. .. .....

If he's so clever how come he hasnt made enough money to retire already?

You need a visa for your own country? Or do you mean your country will grant you this imaginary visa for Thailand?

A piece you missed for some reason..

as thailand will allow us to enter the country based on the fact we are not

taking any jobs but bringing jobs to your economy

There is a basis for this though I don't think it would be of any use in Thailand. Within the EU, one is able to start a business but not work for it and be able to remain in the EU because you employ a certain number of people. In the UK it is 4 people and I suspect it is the same number in all other states with the exception of Portugal where one would not be able to start a business in the first place so the number of people would not apply.

An interesting thread, (I've read all the posts). I'll try to give some useful advice, based upon the details that the OP has provided.

Firstly, you need to sort out your visas. As others have said, you are misinformed about what type of visa will be available for you. Neither of you are over 50 years of age, so no retirement visa is available. If you are not (legally) working, then no business visa either. Student visa? That would be a good option if you attended Thai language lessons, which would be a good way to learn more about the country and language.

Kidnapping your children? I do not think you need to worry on that score. Some Thais eat human flesh, but it's not commonplace yet.

Religion? The only area where there religion is an issue (a major issue), is in the far south of Thailand. I would not suggest you live in those provinces. (Yala, Pattani, Narawithat)

Work? I think it will be near to impossible for your husband to find employment within the heavy industry sector. Forget that one. As for stock-trading on the internet, some may class that as 'work' and others may call it a 'hobby'. I would keep quiet about that activity.

As to location to reside in Thailand, I am biased, but would suggest north Phuket, (where I live). There is a good (but expensive) international school. North Phuket cannot be compared to the glitz of Patong and south Phuket. It's quiet, cheap and friendly up here, primarily due to the lack of foreigners and lack of foreign housing, (although some is available).

Many villages are mixed Muslim/Buddhist and get on fine with each other. The beaches are not far away and the locals (in the shops) are very friendly and speak at least a little English.

As for the 'sex' industry, you should bear in mind that what you see on the news is the 1% tip of the 'iceberg' that caters to foreigners. The other 99% caters to local Thais and is a typical feature of most communities, (think Thai karaokee bars etc). It should not intrude into your lifestyle unless you want it to.

I think you will have problems settling and integrating into any community in Thailand if you have an aloof attitude.

A last point. Thai women are reknowned for their beauty and charms, and it is not a lie to say that western couples who move to Thailand can find their relationship strained, even destroyed, after the man in that relationship has realised that a Thai woman can offer much, much more than a western woman can ever hope to offer her partner.

Good luck

Simon

A last point. Thai women are reknowned for their beauty and charms, and it is not a lie to say that western couples who move to Thailand can find their relationship strained, even destroyed, after the man in that relationship has realised that a Thai woman can offer much, much more than a western woman can ever hope to offer her partner.

Good advice about Thai women. I have seen very few happily married men not succumb to their charms eventually.

1244580526Wr834G.jpg

Edited by Ulysses G.

Firstly, you need to sort out your visas. As others have said, you are misinformed about what type of visa will be available for you. Neither of you are over 50 years of age, so no retirement visa is available. If you are not (legally) working, then no business visa either. Student visa? That would be a good option if you attended Thai language lessons, which would be a good way to learn more about the country and language.

The Russian lady who lives next door sends her 6 year old daughter to an international school and gets her visa because of it. Rather than a perent working in Thailand which allows the family (child) to also stay, it's the other way around.

The Russian lady who lives next door sends her 6 year old daughter to an international school and gets her visa because of it. Rather than a perent working in Thailand which allows the family (child) to also stay, it's the other way around.

That is nonsense. She is probably telling you a lot of other porkers, please share as the board is a little slow today.

I am by no means a visa expert but I believe it's Thailand that grants the visa, not Canada

Of course.

This is the same in the whole world.

The only visa they can get is a tourist visa, as they are under 50 and probably not officially working here.

It would be very irresponsible to emigrate to Thailand with small children and live on semi-legal tourist visas and border runs.

A proper alternative would be Malaysia which grants 10 year visas for the under-50 too, as long you can support yourself.

Contrary to the believes here, Malaysia is no longer more expensive than Thailand. And the country is much more reasonable and less corrupt than Thailand. With children, there is no question which I would prefer.

5555555555555555!

You guys are so full of sh*t on here.

• Like 1

:w00t:This isn't a troll! She's actually serious. No troll could write this well. :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Here's your first lesson in Thai, it's an easy one as it's the same in English, er, Candian:

" Ding Dong".

No doubt they will still understand you if you say, "Ding Dong, eh."

To those who state they get out of bed in the morning in order to come on this forum and laugh at others honest questions,,, well thats sad and I hope you dont call your self worldly because that very narrow minded and childish. But as I well know there are people like you everywhere and your lifes are very empty and trivial.

My life is not empty, it is filled with laughter at the moment. And we weren't laughing at your questions, we respect those. We were laughing at your responses that contradicted the advice you had requested.

As for the 200,000 bhat that seems a little steep, i have found very suitable housing for under $1,000 canadian which is pretty par with USD...

Canadian dollar...on par with the US dollar? No bahts about it, you've found suitable housing on the internet. Hmmmm, some of us take months to find it after we get here because of all the misleading ads.

i think i will go with a tutour seeing as i dont feel safe allowing him to bus.

A tutor for your son? Easy to find a multi-subject qualified, licensed private tutor with a work-permit for $500 a month. (I'll bet you can get one a lot cheaper though as your child has bond hair and blue eyes.)

And as for the heavy duty/stock trader comment... that actually did make my day that no one understands diversity diversity? and for anyone to think they understand both those area's at once.... my partner could fix the largest peice of farm equipment There are no "largest" pieces of farm equipment in Thailand (well, I once saw a really, really big water buffalo pulling a tiller) and if there were he'd make 500 baht a day. Ooops, forgot about that work visa, didn't we.

or repair your imported sports car to a dime, In four years I've seen exactly 3 "imported sports cars," all in Bangkok. They are parked permantly in a building lobby on Soi 20.

while explaining commodities and the planetary alignment to you at the same time... Commodities and planetary alignment? :cheesy: :cheesy: I'd pay for that. I'm thinking your head is aligned with Uranus. :whistling: Is that the way he decides when to buy and sell?

so im understanding that may go over some heads. Especially the ones aligned with Uranus...

And a self supporting visa is something my country will grant me , What planet country are you originally from?

as thailand will allow us to enter the country based on the fact we are not taking any jobs but bringing jobs to your economy as well as spending our money in the country and bringing them revenu.

Well, better let them know in advance so they can make the exception for your family and not keep you waiting at immigration too long. (Don't tell them your partner can repair water buffalo, you'll be taking jobs from farang who are all goo-gooed eyes for their bargirl girlfriend).

Hence we take nothing away from the economy but yet we manage to support ourselfs "self supporting visa" If you have a certain amount in your account you are allowed to be "self supporting" in almost any country, including the one im in :)La La Land?

And i work in the daytime,... uhm, I have no idea how to respond to this one. Daytime is better for self-supporting visa?

anyways i came here to be educated, but i can see im actually having to educate others.... at that, you are. We are learnng much about the state of education in Canada.

thanks to the ones who tolk the seriuose time to share your valid possitive and negative points of thailand with me Yes, thanks.Without the two of them the OP would probably have disappeared and what would I be doing this morning with my empty life?

Please, please keep posting. So many others like you disappear from frustration and our lives become empty again. I'm serious, this thread could go on forever--record setting--and bring tears of joy to many a depressed ex-pat who is otherwise considering joining the Pattaya Flying Club and taking his first solo flight.

Even better, we'll make it a book. All your experiences pre and post-move. I'll fund the publishing of the book for 20%.

5555555555555555!

You guys are so full of sh*t on here.

Thanks for proving his point!