Buying A Car , Payment Vs Delivery ?

sezze

Like saying in another post i am ready for buyin a new car . I have some questions about that . Since i am paying cash ( my name on the car registration on a standard visa ) , i need to now when the money has got to be at the dealer . In my country , the standard is paying 10 % paying when you order (or within a few days ) and the rest upon delivery . Is this standard in Thailand also ? Are delivery times met and is it possible to take a car home within a few hours like you do with a motorbike , when you do have the cash with you ?

A 2nd question is a special one . I read somewhere that the smartcab option , it is not allowed to take passengers ? This might be not controled at the moment but if this is official law , then it will become controlled within 5 years orso , making the car more difficult to use and sell .

No idea about pickup smartcabs. Thai people ride everywhere. In the back. On top. Families of 6 traveling in a scooter. 4 kids sandwiched between the "parents" weaving in and out of traffic. Let's ban THAT first shall we?

Anyway. My first car. Honda. New. I don't remember how much to order. I picked up the car. Gave them the check and drove it home.

I am buying my 2nd new one. I gave 20,000 baht to order (price is 875,000). That's like 2.5%.

When the car is ready I'll bring the check, drive home.

Deposit is up to the dealer - I've bought cars in Thailand with as little as 2,000 Baht deposit.

The balance is always paid upon delivery, and usually a bank draft is the preferred method.

Delivery times vary wildly, and Thai car sales reps have been known to embellish - always best to try and find what you want at a dealer that has it in-stock, failing that, be prepared for the originally quoted delivery time to change.

As for outlawing and enforcing people sitting the jump-seat of extra cab pickups, no way. Same as trying to enforce any law against unrestrained passengers sitting in the tray - just no way. Every couple of months there's a horror story about a truckload of passengers getting thrown off an elevated highway - it's been happening for years - so it's way too late for a knee-jerk now.

As for outlawing and enforcing people sitting the jump-seat of extra cab pickups, no way. Same as trying to enforce any law against unrestrained passengers sitting in the tray - just no way. Every couple of months there's a horror story about a truckload of passengers getting thrown off an elevated highway - it's been happening for years - so it's way too late for a knee-jerk now.

it probably will not be enforced this decade, except for expressways.

however be aware of the lack of Insurance for illegal passengers in 2+2 door pickups. Insured for max 3 people in front seat.

one way to change it without forking out tons of baht, is to install "seats" in bed and change to bus plates (blue on white), Insured and registered for +10 people

THX for the answers .

Yes , smartcab / extracab are the pickups with jumpseats in the back . I do not need room for 10 people ( extremely rare ) but 3/4 or 5 people happens regularly and i do need the jumpseats on those occasions .

THX for the answers .

Yes , smartcab / extracab are the pickups with jumpseats in the back . I do not need room for 10 people ( extremely rare ) but 3/4 or 5 people happens regularly and i do need the jumpseats on those occasions .

for everyones safety, I would install 3 sets of 2 point seatbelts in the jumpseats

I paid a 5,000 Baht, refundable, reservation fee. After the car arrived and fully inspected is when I handed over a cashiers check. After the paperwork was in order, they gave me the keys and I drove it off the lot that day.

I paid a 5,000 Baht, refundable, reservation fee. After the car arrived and fully inspected is when I handed over a cashiers check. After the paperwork was in order, they gave me the keys and I drove it off the lot that day.

yep

Be aware some dealers will ask for more than 5k baht reservation. One member just posted here about 60k baht reservation fee for a 3 mill baht bmw. However after buying 12 new cars here, my experience is they will all accept 5k baht.

Cashier check works within the Province it is issued only, so bank draft for out of Province purchases.

Most Thais pay with cash (for downpayment), and its a great show 9 oclock in the morning with loads of cash being counted by machines in cashiers office :D

When you have paid and taken delivery on temp red plates, car still belongs to dealer/maker, so make sure they have it registered in your name and you get white plates and reg book within the required by law 30 days. Then you own your car :)

Cashier check works within the Province it is issued only, so bank draft for out of Province purchases.

Had to look up the difference between cashier check and bank draft. :D

I learned it the hard way. In 2006, about to take delivery in BKK paying with a Phuket cashier check. Fly to Phuket, change to bank draft, fly back and get the car :rolleyes: