Loi Krathong Dates For 2011

annabel

Does anybody know the exact dates for Loi Krathong this year? Someone told me Oct 29th..? I don't think that is correct ... One Google site says Nov 5 - 10 ..? Wikipedia only says Nov 10th.... It is usually end November but maybe this year is different depending on the full moon dates. A few other sites also say Nov 5-10... Can Anybody confirm this ... Thanks

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

any idea of the night of the lantern launch in Mae Jo then? Nov 9th is a common date bandied about... but when will we get an "official" announcement and who gives such announcements?

Take a look at the calendar Tywais posted, and you will find it on November 5th.

/ Priceless

Take a look at the calendar Tywais posted, and you will find it on November 5th.

/ Priceless

That was weaned from information over a year ago. The government has a tendency to not let you know until the last moment when the Yi Ping festival will be. Normally, the Saturday before Loy Krathong, and what I based it on in the calendar, but no guarantees. ;)

//edit - I checked the TAT site but no updates there either.

• 4 weeks later...

I am planning a trip for Yee Peng and Loy Krathong too. Still can't figure out the exact dates for them either. See the following link for reference: (wx3).yeepenglanna.net(sorry can't post link for a newly registered member) , just wondering if really need to buy the ticket, whether the site is trustworthy neither.

thanks..did not notice that...might disappoint some friends coming into town as i think they were geared toward the weekend of 11th... we shall see.

I am planning a trip for Yee Peng and Loy Krathong too. Still can't figure out the exact dates for them either. See the following link for reference: (wx3).yeepenglanna.net(sorry can't post link for a newly registered member) , just wondering if really need to buy the ticket, whether the site is trustworthy neither.

thanks..did not notice that...might disappoint some friends coming into town as i think they were geared toward the weekend of 11th... we shall see.

Arrive on the 1rst leave on the 15th should cover all possibilities

For anyone that is completely confused by the dates of the upcoming 2011 Loy Krathong & Yee Peng Festivals, here are the dates:

29th October - Yee Peng Festival, Sansai, Chiang Mai - this is the original "flying lanterns" festival that you see on the YouTube videos & various stunning photos - CONFIRMED details on location & times further down this thread.

9th November - Yee Peng Festival, Sansai, Chiang Mai - this is an additional night of the "flying lanterns" festival SPECIFICALLY for visitors, it is limited to 1,000 people in total - CONFIRMED details on location & times further down this thread.

11th - 13th November - Loy Krathong Festival in Chiang Mai between these dates, this is the annual festival with events planned throughout.

12th November - "Krathongs" floating down the River Ping, this is part of the Loy Krathong Festival, but takes place throughout locations anywhere near the river & central moat area.

Chiang Mai online

The Visitor's day on the 9th details > Yeepeng Lanna International. Two things I saw that is a bit of a put off for that particular event on the 9th - the $100 USD fee (could they mean baht?) and the various "restrictions".

Many many thanks for your info, it helps alot!

For anyone that is completely confused by the dates of the upcoming 2011 Loy Krathong & Yee Peng Festivals, here are the dates:

29th October - Yee Peng Festival, Sansai, Chiang Mai - this is the original "flying lanterns" festival that you see on the YouTube videos & various stunning photos - CONFIRMED details on location & times further down this thread.

9th November - Yee Peng Festival, Sansai, Chiang Mai - this is an additional night of the "flying lanterns" festival SPECIFICALLY for visitors, it is limited to 1,000 people in total - CONFIRMED details on location & times further down this thread.

11th - 13th November - Loy Krathong Festival in Chiang Mai between these dates, this is the annual festival with events planned throughout.

12th November - "Krathongs" floating down the River Ping, this is part of the Loy Krathong Festival, but takes place throughout locations anywhere near the river & central moat area.

Where from the "29th as stated"? Already officially announced by the local government? Thanks!

Not if the yee peng release is the 29th as stated.

Looking a couple of posts above you will see the link for the yee peng festival.. yeepenglanna.net As per this site and many other posts they appear to be saying the open to the public free, 1000 khom loy release will be on the 29th Oct.. With a special 'tourist' one complete with VIP areas and such at 100 usd per person on the 9th. Which seems like a quick money grab knowing that tourists wont make the 29th.

EDIT :: It seems the site has been edited, I can no longer see the 29th 'locals' event even mentioned.. But it has been published and was on that site. As per that site now

This year, the world-renowned event is going to be different. For the first time, a one-day Yeepeng Lanna International cultural program will be arranged for foreign visitors on the 9th of November 2011 at Tudongkhasathan Lanna – the site of the annual festival.

See other threads on here for confirmation.

Edited by LivinLOS

The Visitor's day on the 9th details > Yeepeng Lanna International. Two things I saw that is a bit of a put off for that particular event on the 9th - the $100 USD fee (could they mean baht?) and the various "restrictions".

Yes 'northern Thai' attire.. No fireworks.. Set zones including VIP areas.. No Photographs (!!!) Unless you get the VIP pass.. No own drinks.. Etc etc etc..

Sounds wonderful.

This year there will be two days.

On the 29th Oct,it is reserved for merit makers offering retreat wardrope for the monks and continue with floating lantern and not planned for foreigner guests.No registration fees.

On Nov. 9, 2011 there will be 1st Yeepeng Lanna International . The registration fees is USD100. You can book the ticket at www.yeepenglanna.net

Best regards,

Yeepeng staff

Personally I think people should take the time to email or contact and let them know, that trying to squeeze visitors into a 100 USD per person setup looks poor and will cost Chiang Mai visitors in general. info @ yeepenglanna . net

This ceremony is one of the really nice things about CM, turning it into a cash grab is a shame.

OK... i am officially confused, as opposed to just normally thai confused...

Are they really planning to make the MaeJo Lantern lighting a PAY event... REALLY?

How can that possibly be? how would thai's (not the rich ones) be able to participate?

Hell, why would any local pay 100 USD to go light lanterns and listen to monks chant inside the grounds, when you can stand outside the grounds and light all the lanterns you want and hear

the monks for free over the loudspeaker system?

Who really knows what is going on?

Further reading seems to indicate at least 2 different stories:

1- this special "visitor" vip 100 USD thing takes place as part of the regular and traditional ceremony/event

2 - this special visitor thing is on a separate/different/added night... with Oct 29th being listed as the real "thai" lantern lighting.

as i said: confused

Edited by zippydedodah

Can I make some corrections please, it's starting to hurt my eyes.

* Firstly "Yee Peng" refers to the Lanna Loi Krathong as a whole, NOT specifically to the 10,000 lantern thing they do in Mae Jo. (Though this can certainly be considered a part of it)

* Secondly, the Mae Jo thing is not a government organized or sponsored event. It's run by the somewhat controversial Dhammakaya Buddhist sect. When or how it's organized, and if it's free or not is up to those guys. (This being Dhammakaya, 'money' is never too far out of the picture.. )

More information no the name Yi Peng is here, you can feed it through google translate if that makes it easier: http://th.wikipedia....%B9%87%E0%B8%87

Don't let any of this stop you from enjoying yourself though. ;)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I am also confused, can someone advice?

What is the 100 USD for? Meaning paying 100 USD just to participate the ceremony, is way too much isn't it? No offence, my intention of visiting CM at this period mainly to take some beautiful photos. As I had visited CM many times on Loy Krathong, never once I had the chance to captured thousands of lanterns released at one time.

But to be frank, 100USD is too much for a ceremony like this. Can we Photographers stay out of the "paid" zone to capture those flying lanterns? Constructive comment appreciate!!!! And what is this 100USD inclusive of?

This year there will be two days.

On the 29th Oct,it is reserved for merit makers offering retreat wardrope for the monks and continue with floating lantern and not planned for foreigner guests.No registration fees.

On Nov. 9, 2011 there will be 1st Yeepeng Lanna International . The registration fees is USD100. You can book the ticket at www.yeepenglanna.net

Best regards,

Yeepeng staff

Personally I think people should take the time to email or contact and let them know, that trying to squeeze visitors into a 100 USD per person setup looks poor and will cost Chiang Mai visitors in general. info @ yeepenglanna . net

This ceremony is one of the really nice things about CM, turning it into a cash grab is a shame.

So, as a tourist, does it mean I will be forbidden to enter the venue on the "29th" one?

Just to clear things up, the 29th is open to all with no charges and do all the photography you want. Even lift off your own Krathong if you like. I personally would ignore the 'special visitor' display on the 9th and their $100 dollar nonsense. The main 10,000 Krathong is on the 29th.

Just looked at their FAQ, that will buy a lot of karma: :huh:

Q: Price

A:

VIP seat 3,000 USD

Zone A-H 89 USD (to 30 June 2011)

Zone A-H 100 USD (1 July - 30 September 2011)

so if i read that site correctly... the lantern launch event is FREE, as before, but there are special reserved seats for those willing to pay. At least that makes some kind of sense...

So, as a tourist, does it mean I will be forbidden to enter the venue on the "29th" one?

Just to clear things up, the 29th is open to all with no charges and do all the photography you want. Even lift off your own Krathong if you like. I personally would ignore the 'special visitor' display on the 9th and their $100 dollar nonsense. The main 10,000 Krathong is on the 29th.

The thing is, they very carefully moved it just far enough away, that people coming to see LK, even for 2 weeks, wont make it..

2 separate groups of visitors who were coming up both asked me about this and when I said this was the 29th, and that didnt fit their dates, now dont seem to be coming.

A:

VIP seat 3,000 USD

so if i read that site correctly... the lantern launch event is FREE, as before, but there are special reserved seats for those willing to pay. At least that makes some kind of sense...

I read it that the 29th is free.. and the 9th is MIN 100 USD and up..

Also note the 'no photography' unless in the VIP bit and pre registered ??

A:

VIP seat 3,000 USD

I read it that the 29th is free.. and the 9th is MIN 100 USD and up..

Also note the 'no photography' unless in the VIP bit and pre registered ??

we are looking at the same map, right? i GUESS it could be interpreted the way you see it... i interpret it my way.... the great part of LOS... whatever you want - unless of course they ask me to pay!

post-34078-0-21424900-1315380032_thumb.j