Getting Married In Bangkok (Uk)

Hi All

Just got a reply Back on another thread from 7by7 saying , you dont get married at the MFA!!!! and guess what , thats were we where heading to after we got the affirmation from the british Embassy, But i am now on the understanding that you need the affirmation stamped at the MFA before going to the Ampur.

can someone give me a quick check list on what we need to be doing!!!.

So far i am off to the UK embassy with my affirmation letter on the Monday morning and then i collect the certificate in The afternoon, I then go and get the affirmation translated into Thai.

On the Tuesday, i take the translated affirmation certificate to the MFA, Can you please clarify, Is it only My affirmation that needs done at the MFA and my wife to be doesn't have to submit anything and if this is the Case, Would i have time to get to the MFA after picking up the affirmation from the embassy on Monday afternoon?

Because we are only in Bangkok from the Monday until the friday, Things are going to be rushed. My wife to be has to go to Yasothon Monday morning and she will be back in Bangkok on Tuesday morning and we are hoping to submit the Visa application on the friday.

I read that it takes 3 days to get the affirmation back from the MFA and then its off to the Ampur for the Marriage.

Can anyone tell me where i will find a Ampur in Bangkok.

Sorry to be a Pain

Malc blink.gif

Found the Place to get married

Khet Bangrak Registration Office

Address : 5 Nares Road, Kwang Siphraya, Bangkok 10500

Silom

PS , the GF is booked in for the TB test on the wednesday at 9am during the week that we are in Bangkok

Edited by malct

Guidance for British nationals wishing to marry in Thailand gives step by step guidance on the procedure.

Your fiance does not need to provide anything to the MFA, but she will need to provide proof to whichever ampur you marry at that she is free to marry.

You can marry at any ampur, but if not marrying at your fiance's home one then, as said, Bang Rak is popular as it means "village of love."

PS , the GF is booked in for the TB test on the wednesday at 9am during the week that we are in Bangkok

I take it you already have the English A1 Test and Certificate.... Just making sure for you!

That one takes a couple of weeksafter taking the test to get the certificate, and you dont want to be caught with your pants down.... so to speak!

she is doing the UK test on Wednesday and i have been Promised that if she Passes , the Certificate will be sent out with in a week and No prroblems in getting the Certificate before departing the UK on the 20th.

Just reading the blog Farang eye... Very good read.

Malc

Steve says that he could not have got this far if it wasn't for checking the web and forums, I have to agree, TV has been a great help over the last month while putting every thing together, its a lot to take in and a lot of paperwork too.

little things like photo copies of my GF's IDF Card and things i didn't even know about, Likes of the little blue book for the House!!! Just hope my sponsors letter is OK the Covers the relationship, My house, My job , Bills. Just need to Cross reference everything. I think its 12 days and counting to i go away

Malc

she is doing the UK test on Wednesday and i have been Promised that if she Passes , the Certificate will be sent out with in a week and No prroblems in getting the Certificate before departing the UK on the 20th.

Just reading the blog Farang eye... Very good read.

Malc

She can't apply for the visa without the actual A1 certificate. If it is going to take a week to arrive, then she can't apply until she has it.

She sits the exam on the 10th and we leave the uk on the 20th and then marry about the 25th so with luck, we will apply for the visa on the 26th.

She can't apply for the visa without the actual A1 certificate. If it is going to take a week to arrive, then she can't apply until she has it.

• 2 weeks later...

Remember, If you want to get her name change to your name you need to get married in the same Ampur that issued your to be wife her ID card I went to Wapipathum in Mahasarakham and the whole getting the married certificate and changing her name on her ID card (so the passport will be able to be changed to your surname) cost about 250 bhat.

Remember, If you want to get her name change to your name you need to get married in the same Ampur that issued your to be wife her ID card I went to Wapipathum in Mahasarakham and the whole getting the married certificate and changing her name on her ID card (so the passport will be able to be changed to your surname) cost about 250 bhat.

As far as I am aware (and I stand to be corrected by more knowledgeable members), you can get married in any Ampur but, she can only change her name in her local Ampur, i.e. the Ampur where she was issued her ID card / House registration, etc.

When you get married at another Ampur, she will get a piece of paper for the name change she then can produce this at her local Ampur with her marriage certificate at any future time and have her name changed.

You can of course do both at her local Ampur at the same time if you want to.

If you follow my drift.....

Edited by Frogster

Yeah I do, I just did the whole thing in one as I had to go through the buddist ceremony part of the marriage with her Family, relitive and freinds to appease the family and get her families blessing (walking through the villiage and all) and it was just easy to go to the local Ampur to register the legal part where I was in formed by the boss man that I was the first ferlang to get married in that Ampur which was a bit of a buzz.

Not too sure about getting married in any ampur and then changing their ID card as I just went on what I had read.

You say you 'had to go through the buddhist ceremony' like it was a visit to the dentist or something!

My wedding was a fantastic day, one that I'll remember for the rest of my life.

The two whole days mucking about in the Amphur also sticks in my memory, but for different, cushion-related reasons! :)

Frogster is correct; a Thai can marry at any ampur, and of course abroad, but can only change their ID card at the ampur where they are registered.

Even if living and marrying abroad they cannot change it at a Thai embassy, only at their home ampur; according to the RTE in London.

Unfortunately, for reasons of time and cost we didn't have a Buddhist ceremony. Having last year played an active role in my step-son's, I wish that his mother and I had done so.

In fact, as it was our 10th anniversary last year I had intended organising something, until he and his fiance of several years decided that they were finally going to marry that year!

Oh well, maybe for our 15th!

You say you 'had to go through the buddhist ceremony' like it was a visit to the dentist or something!

My wedding was a fantastic day, one that I'll remember for the rest of my life.

The two whole days mucking about in the Amphur also sticks in my memory, but for different, cushion-related reasons! :)

Mate even if it was and it wasn't who are you to comment on how I felt or didn't feel on that day as I was trying to keep the post on topic and not going of on a tangent as so many people seem to do.

As for my wedding it was a great day.

Walking through the village dancing with my dancing entourage, great crack.

Reciting the Buddhist scriptures to enter my wifes house and getting it correct to the applause of the village. Priceless

Sin Sod. Not happy but had to be done.

Eating the egg, As the eating of the egg is easy it's the swallowing thats the hard part which is to signify marriage. New is good

Swapping the Ring. Will never forget even though I put it on the wrong finger 'tit'

Karaoke, Well there is a singer in all of us.

And getting Married to the most amazing person inside and out. Jesus, if this was like going to the Dentist I would be friging toothless by now : )

As for the Amphur part it was done and dusted in about 30 mins as it is just the legal part for me the wedding was all about the family.